gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 10:56:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is anybody going to one of the Mike&Bruce gigs?  (Read 19036 times)
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 12:12:03 AM »

FWIW, the last time I saw this lineup of the touring band was at a symphonic show at the Sydney Opera House.  And that was a solid show -- deep tracks including "You Still Believe In Me", "Disney Girls", "Betsy", "Heroes and Villains" (a killer lead from John Cowsill), and "Cottonfields" (which is hardly a deep track down here).  Being the Beach Boys Lite is still a damn good show...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
adloc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 12:24:43 AM »

I'm probably gonna go to that one in New Jersey, but I don't think I'll buy a ticket until like February.

I don't agree with the sentiment "if it's not all of them, there's no point". Never stopped anyone from seeing Brian solo. Hell, I'd see Foskett solo singing Beach Boys songs if he was in the area. Why not?

That's the thinking! And it'll keep it alive for all the new 'converts' from BB50, who've got a lot to catch up on...
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 01:42:33 AM »

After the final show at Wembley, i'm far too spoiled to want to go to a Mike+Bruce show, Al show or even a Brian solo show anytime soon. I want the whole shebang! Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 05:01:44 AM »

I'll go, should they return to these shores, because I'm a fan. It's what I do, and because I happen to rather like the music, and because the guys in Mike & Bruce's band are all nice people.

As for a full-on reunion next summer... I don't see that happening, and in truth, I hope it doesn't.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 05:09:42 AM »

I'll go, should they return to these shores, because I'm a fan. It's what I do, and because I happen to rather like the music, and because the guys in Mike & Bruce's band are all nice people.

As for a full-on reunion next summer... I don't see that happening, and in truth, I hope it doesn't.

I'd agree with all of this, except for the hope. I won't be upset if they never play again -- the Wembley show was clearly as close to a perfect ending as you can get -- but I'd love to see them again, and again, and again...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 05:34:23 AM »

I don't think I can.

The magic of those 5 guys together could only be surpassed by having Carl & Dennis up there.

I'd never go see a greatest hits show by any other line up but if Brian came around my parts promoting a new album I wouldn't have to think twice.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:38:02 AM by Slim Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 05:49:33 AM »

Ok, thanks for all the replies. I hope to see some info regarding those shows.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 06:52:15 AM »

I would certainly go and see them again , and believe me would be first in the queue for tickets (again) should they return to the UK or an accessible European location.
First saw them in 2001 (not bad , but not great) , and with the big shake up in late 2007/early 2008 with Scott being made MD  Randell to Bass and John to Drums and the introduction of Christian , they have progressed to be a superb band.
I caught all of the 2008 UK shows (bar Manchester) and they were without doubt the best Beach Boys shows I had seen/heard , the C50 shows were a completely different animal and EPIC.
I totally concur with Andrew in that 'i'm a fan of the music' and will always support M&B shows when the opportunity arises.   
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 07:29:13 AM »

I would certainly go and see them again , and believe me would be first in the queue for tickets (again) should they return to the UK or an accessible European location.
First saw them in 2001 (not bad , but not great) , and with the big shake up in late 2007/early 2008 with Scott being made MD  Randell to Bass and John to Drums and the introduction of Christian , they have progressed to be a superb band.
I caught all of the 2008 UK shows (bar Manchester) and they were without doubt the best Beach Boys shows I had seen/heard , the C50 shows were a completely different animal and EPIC.
I totally concur with Andrew in that 'i'm a fan of the music' and will always support M&B shows when the opportunity arises.   

Agree with everything said there mate, I thought seeing Mike, Bruce and David together would be the closest thing to a BB reunion. How glad I am to be proven wrong!

The Mike & Bruce shows are excellent - if the opportunity arises, GO!

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 07:36:38 AM »

First saw them in 2001 (not bad , but not great) , and with the big shake up in late 2007/early 2008 with Scott being made MD  Randell to Bass and John to Drums and the introduction of Christian , they have progressed to be a superb band.

A healthy attitude!

I'd go and see them, too (just to hear Scott Totten tackle more of my favourites) - if they'd only come to a convenient location in Germany...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:01:45 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2012, 10:19:19 AM »

I'd probably wouldn't go. Not that I don't like them - I think thanks to Totten they're a very good band - but The Beach Boys are over for me. I saw Brian presenting Smile in 2004 and I saw The Beach Boys this year in Berlin. Don't need nothing else. And I guess the same thing goes for a Brian concert (maybe, MAYBE if he'll do new stuff).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2012, 11:13:20 AM »

I won't continue to beat on this point, but I just don't get this. We lost out on 14 years of the possibility of these guys playing together, and they blew us away with an amazing show this year. Seeing it in person, and seeing that they could pull off a 61-song setlist, and that they rehearsed stuff like "Surf's Up" with Al singing his original part, I just can't understand both actively supporting the idea of Mike and Bruce continuing to tour and wanting them to exclude Brian and/or Al and/or David by virtue of actively not wanting any more reunion shows.

These guys don't have a lot of years left of touring in them. But they have it in them right now, so while I understand the realities of the unliklihood of them doing more reunion stuff, I can't imagine actively hoping against it just to have some sort of theoretical "high point" to go out on.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2012, 11:33:46 AM »

I won't continue to beat on this point, but I just don't get this. We lost out on 14 years of the possibility of these guys playing together, and they blew us away with an amazing show this year. Seeing it in person, and seeing that they could pull off a 61-song setlist, and that they rehearsed stuff like "Surf's Up" with Al singing his original part, I just can't understand both actively supporting the idea of Mike and Bruce continuing to tour and wanting them to exclude Brian and/or Al and/or David by virtue of actively not wanting any more reunion shows.

These guys don't have a lot of years left of touring in them. But they have it in them right now, so while I understand the realities of the unliklihood of them doing more reunion stuff, I can't imagine actively hoping against it just to have some sort of theoretical "high point" to go out on.

There's "caution" for hoping for another reunion perhaps because some of us are consciously aware that there is no guarantee that another tour would succeed as well as this one has.  I don't mean succeed in terms of revenue or ticket sales but rather the original members behaving themselves in order to make the tour work.  Everything about this tour fell into place the way it should have.  The occasion of it being the 50th Anniversary brought out the best in each member and the goodwill carried them through the entire tour. I can see Mike not want to A) push their luck with their rekindled relationships and also B) have the public take for granted the reunited group.  I don't doubt Mike loved all the media hype this last summer but I think Mike only wants to make sure this reunited group constantly recieves maximum publicity for whenever they do go back out on the road.  There is no guarantee that the group could complete another tour...but Mike knows that his old group will.  There's no drama there, no walking on egg shells in his group...he can rely on that 100%.  Him putting his eggs in a new basket (permanently ditching his old group for the new reunited group) is a little risky and it's something I wouldn't expect him to accept overnight.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2012, 11:36:13 AM »

My comment in this particular point was purely to express how shocked I am that a fan would actively advocate for no further reunion shows. I understand that everybody has their own opinion, etc. I'm just super surprised specifically that someone would actively advocate for that.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 11:40:54 AM »

My comment in this particular point was purely to express how shocked I am that a fan would actively advocate for no further reunion shows. I understand that everybody has their own opinion, etc. I'm just super surprised specifically that someone would actively advocate for that.

Well, here's another one who doesn't want another reunion tour. For me it's over. They had a big finale and I don't think they can top it. That's what I've been saying for quite a while now (regarding new album and/or tour): if they can't top the recent one they shouldn't do it.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »

When I realize the alternative to how things could have ended here...it makes me understand/accept that this tour was a miracle in every sense of the word.  To anticipate that it could be duplicated with the exact same results...I'm not 100% certain.  I may have believed that early in the tour but this whole Mike/Bruce booking shows and Brian and Al starting to make a fuss about it made me realize that things could turn sour at any given moment.  Things seem to have ended alright but I am weary to see how bad things could go if they ever tour again.  

Bottom line: I'd love for them tour as often as Paul McCartney or the Stones but given the risks/concerns involved...I completely understand if they don't and we only see them together every 2-5 years from now on.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:44:44 AM by Justin » Logged
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »

Only if Hogpig opens.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »

...... have the public take for granted the reunited group.  I don't doubt Mike loved all the media hype this last summer but I think Mike only wants to make sure this reunited group constantly recieves maximum publicity for whenever they do go back out on the road.

I don't get this logic, on Mike's part.  

Mike complained about 'saturation'. If he was really worried about that, he would not be touring in a group called The Beach Boys this autumn.... saturating the market with, and I know I'm going to get shat on for this, inferior product to the shows this summer. I mean, not two days after The Beach Boys finished their 50th anniversary reunion, they did a concert (not a typical concert, I know. But a concert), even with Stamos.

How often does he expect to 'reunite' with the band? Every summer? Every time Capitol gives them a record deal? Until Al/David/Wife&Managers' good will runs out?

If you take a step back, it's remarkably callous of him, especially if you consider his only gripe with the tour was that he doesn't get paid as much and Brian wants to do atypical songs in the set.

And anyway, last time they were in England I didn't see them - I was broke. But... IDK. I am genuinely not that impressed with the way Mike's band as a whole sounds (Cowsill is of course all-time). Maybe if it was cheap.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »

Well, here's another one who doesn't want another reunion tour. For me it's over. They had a big finale and I don't think they can top it. That's what I've been saying for quite a while now (regarding new album and/or tour): if they can't top the recent one they shouldn't do it.

Dunno about anyone else, but I didn't really feel like there was much of a sense of the occasion at the Wembley gig, considering the greatest band of all time just did what is more than likely their final show...ever. Just sort of did a couple of the surf numbers as an encore and left the stage. Not sure what I was expecting (surfs up and tears all round?), but...

I'd love it if Al brought a band over to the UK. Would definitely go and see him. His vocals were the unquestionable highlight of the show for me, along with Bruce doing Disney Girls.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »

...... have the public take for granted the reunited group.  I don't doubt Mike loved all the media hype this last summer but I think Mike only wants to make sure this reunited group constantly recieves maximum publicity for whenever they do go back out on the road.

I don't get this logic, on Mike's part.  

I personally think that Mike's comment about "saturating the market" is only part of the reason why he won't tour with the rest of the guys.  While I do believe that he wants to preserve the band's ability to succeed if/when they do tour again, Mike's actual reasons are ones that he wouldn't dare mention in any kind of press release.  I inferred earlier that I believe Mike's reasons for not touring are a combination of these factors: 1) the scale of the tour is much bigger than he prefers 2) the costs of such a tour is not in the budget he's used to spending but most of all: 3) his not wanting to deal with BW and his organization.  I think Mike's concers lie between those 3 issues.  These are rather awkward (for lack of a better word) reasons for him to put in a press release so he uses a more innocent "not wanting to oversaturate the market" as his only reason.  But I think it's that in addition a few more issues.  

Even if were to really take his "saturate the market" comment seriously...do we actually think that the Mike/Bruce shows make the same waves as this summer's reunion shows?  Not even close.  They're practically touring off the radar...playing second city markets or smaller venues in the sticks.  What kind of hype are we talking about here?  An ad in the local newspaper?  A commercial in the local TV stations?  Compared to the monster of media attention they got this summer---it's not even comparable.  The Mike/Bruce shows get so little attention that they barely cause a blip on the general public's radar.  It's as if they don't tour at all (if you want to compare it to other big name acts who get publicity in magazines, websites, Ticketmaster and Facebook).   I dont' believe the Mike/Bruce show has ever been on a scale where the general public actively follows them on tour or even blinks an eye if they come through their town.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »

I sincerely hope that the "License" gets amended because, now, the Mike/Bruce show, no matter it's quality. IS NOT THE BEACH BOYS!

The should go out as Mike Love and Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys.

And I'd love to see David, Brian and Al go out and do the same.  If not, get their own license and tour as the Beach Boys.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »

I sincerely hope that the "License" gets amended because, now, the Mike/Bruce show, no matter it's quality. IS NOT THE BEACH BOYS!
The should go out as Mike Love and Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys.

And I'd love to see David, Brian and Al go out and do the same.  If not, get their own license and tour as the Beach Boys.

A double standard if I ever saw one.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »

That wouldn't be the Beach Boys either

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2012, 01:18:45 PM »

3) his not wanting to deal with BW and his organization.

Could you elaborate on this one? I know about Brian wanting to add a song (or two, which Mike agreed to, and they went over well) but I'm not aware of other issues.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2012, 01:21:41 PM »

The thing is....these guys are 70.  Anything could happen to them at anytime and I can already hear people saying "they could have done more together What a waste..."  This idea of touring every other year or every 5 years just is not totally realistic. They've all been in good health recently except for some back issues , but that can change at the drop of a hat.  Time is not on their side and that's my biggest worry.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx