gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681548 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 07:41:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: One amazing moment in Oslo during the soundcheck  (Read 7183 times)
ReggieDunbarJr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:46:09 AM »

Soundcheck in Oslo July 31 was amazing, but didn't want to raise any hopes or spoil anything so I waited til the last show was done Smiley

Band + Bruce present at onstage for soundcheck, empty indoor venue, no VIP-guest. Brian was sitting next to the stage.

After they've soundchecked 'Warmth of the sun' (!) the band + Bruce does Surf's Up
with Scott on lead. Sounded amazing. After they're finished, Al arrives onstage saying:
"play the coda again, i think i remember my parts"

So they start playing the tag again and then Al joins in with his powerful voice in perfection:
"A children's song have you listened as they played"

sh*t, that was amazing. Not a dry eye in sight.
Those 2 minutes was worth the trip alone.

//RD
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 10:11:17 AM »

I remember hearing about this. Anybody have audio?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 10:13:50 AM »

Was just thinking the same thing. Damn, if somebody had just caught it on video, even a cell phone.....

Surf's Up.  That's one song I wish they woulda included on the tour.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »

Damn!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »

Oh...which Scott?
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 11:17:50 AM »

Oh...which Scott?
Scott Swanson.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »

F. Scott Fitzgerald.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ReggieDunbarJr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 01:56:32 PM »

Scott T sang lead

Don't think anyone taped it.
Soundcheck incl Warmth, Surf's up and I Can Hear

//Rd
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 01:35:32 PM »

You mean to say that SU was played on Norwegian soil? I feel overly privileged, yet somehow saddened that it wasn't performed in the concert I attended just a few hours later....
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 02:59:39 PM »

This may sound crazy, but I'd be willing to pay good money for that recording. I know that's wrong, but maybe BRI will see this and put it on the box?

Seriously, i'm talking real stuff here guys, Surf's Up is the song that kept me alive last year.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 03:01:25 PM »

Ugh I could totally splice in the al parts too... UGH... Sad

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »

Listening to the recordings of that show make me cry, fucking amazing. I need the sound check!

ReggieDunbarJr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »

Hearing it was stunning.

The soundcheck in general was cool to hear, as they did Warmth and I can hear music. Me and Fallbreaks knew the setlists from the tour by heart
and new it was something special. Suddenly  Jeff went to Brian who was sitting next to the stage saying "they're gonna do Surf's up now. you wanna sit in front and listen?". Brian
was happy were he sat but I can tell you that my pulse went up 2000%.

The venue was empty, so guess no one recorded it.

//RD

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 07:23:42 AM »

See, where I come from, "they're gonna do Surf's up now. you wanna sit in front and listen?" means TAKE OUT ANY DEVICE THAT CAN RECORD AND RECORD. I guess these things aren't universal.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 02:16:01 PM »

See, where I come from, "they're gonna do Surf's up now. you wanna sit in front and listen?" means TAKE OUT ANY DEVICE THAT CAN RECORD AND RECORD. I guess these things aren't universal.

Cheesy

There are situations when it's just not "good manners" to do so..

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 02:38:32 PM »

I don't see how this was particularly special. It was the backing band performing it at soundcheck. There's plenty of recordings of the bulk of that band playing Surf's Up, for example the recording on a little 2004 album called Brian Wilson Presents Smile.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »

I don't see how this was particularly special. It was the backing band performing it at soundcheck. There's plenty of recordings of the bulk of that band playing Surf's Up, for example the recording on a little 2004 album called Brian Wilson Presents Smile.

But not in the presence of the reunited Beach Boys, and Al goes over to sing it for the first time since what 1973?
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »

Sure he remembers his part on Surf's Up after nearly 40 years, but still blows WIBN from time to time. Only Alan Jardine....
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »

Looks like Scott, Probyn and Nelson are always ready to perform "Surf's Up"...here they are in London on 9/24 at a small gig (?):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzv-Ed_e4Lg&feature=related
ReggieDunbarJr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 11:37:15 PM »

Hearing the band performing it was great. The magic begun when Al asked them to do the coda again and nailed it.
//RD
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 01:46:28 AM »

oh, that is pretty cool!

I guess I initially misread it or misunderstood it or something, I was under the impression that all just sang his lines acapella into the microphone after the band had already stopped playing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 02:02:06 AM »

Why would they do Warmth Of The Sun, I Can Hear Music, and Surf's Up during the soundcheck, but not the actual performance? Why would they need to practice those songs? Hmm.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 02:08:56 AM »

Sometimes songs might be rehearsed just to see how they could sound and if they would qualify for "official" rehearsal.
Songs might be rehearsed but they don't get to be in the shape needed to be performed in concert.
Or they could just be rehearsed for fun.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 04:53:15 AM »

Why would they do Warmth Of The Sun, I Can Hear Music, and Surf's Up during the soundcheck, but not the actual performance? Why would they need to practice those songs? Hmm.

Sometimes songs might be rehearsed just to see how they could sound and if they would qualify for "official" rehearsal.
Songs might be rehearsed but they don't get to be in the shape needed to be performed in concert.
Or they could just be rehearsed for fun.

While a band or performer can use a soundcheck to rehearse songs, a soundcheck is basically what the title implies.  Getting house levels set and eq'd, getting monitor levels set and eq'd, etc.  In this case, it appears the band just played these tunes for fun.  Beats running through the same old songs that you've already played 50 times on the tour. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 06:09:45 AM »

No offense to Mr.Totten, but I'm not interested in hearing anyone other than Brian or Carl sing "Surf's Up" at a Beach Boys show. If it had to happen, I'm glad it didn't happen like that, although obviously the chance exists they were just dicking around and Scott was singing lead for the rehearsal.

Also interesting that Scott Bennett called it the "My Gods". So now, from official sources, we have "My God", "Bygone", and "Michael". JEEZ.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx