gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:21:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which would you choose?
Today!/Summer Days(And Summer Nights!!) - 47 (56%)
Sunflower/Surf's Up - 37 (44%)
Total Voters: 77

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ultimate Poll: Today!/Summer Days(And Summer Nights!!) vs. Sunflower/Surf's Up  (Read 14229 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »

These twofers are both amazing, solid works of art.
I'm just curious to see who would come out on top.
For me, I'm going with the Summer Days twofer, just because of that perfect side 2 of Today!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »

In my opinion Sunflower is a masterpiece and Surf's Up is a great record that has multiple weak songs on it. In my opinion Today! is a masterpiece and Summer Days is a great record that has multiple weak songs on it.

Whoa...History repeats itself.  Shocked
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 11:55:22 AM »

In my opinion Sunflower is a masterpiece and Surf's Up is a great record that has multiple weak songs on it. In my opinion Today! is a masterpiece and Summer Days is a great record that has multiple weak songs on it.

Absolutely!
Did you go with the Sunflower twofer, Mr. Stebbins?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 12:02:10 PM »

Today/Summer Days, as I'm not that big a fan of Sunflower.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »

Absolutely!
Did you go with the Sunflower twofer, Mr. Stebbins?
I did. Close call...Sunflower and Today are both huge in my life.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:10:26 PM by Letsgoawayforawhile » Logged

- Dr. Seuss
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »

Today/Summer Days

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »

When I'll hear Summer Days and Today in stereo, I will perhaps reconsider, if only they re-vamped SU by WIBNTLA, 4J and Big Sur....
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 12:16:25 PM »

Went with Today/Summer Days. As Jon stated, Today & Sunflower are huge in my life, as well. As far as how much I like and listen to them, I rank Today #1, Sunflower #2, All Summer Long #3.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »

It seems that my votes are directly related to the amount of Brian Wilson's participation. So, guess where my vote goes? Grin

I like a lot of Surf's Up. Most of it, actually. But, for reasons covered extensively on this board, it will always be the most woulda/shoulda/coulda of Beach Boys' albums. Other than SMiLE, of course....
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »

I love Today and Sunflower. But I think Summer Days is a lot better than Surf's Up, so a no brainer for me.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 12:48:53 PM »

Sunflower & Surf's Up!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 11:36:59 PM »

I chose Sunflower/Surf's Up... but now (three seconds later) I'm not so sure.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 11:49:55 PM »

Well I prefer Today! to Sunflower (no Tears... on Today!, and nothing beats Today! side 2), but then I prefer Surf's Up to Summer Days... - so how the hell am I supposed to vote??

Do we include the bonus tracks? If The Little Girl I Once Knew (probably my all time favourite single, by anyone, ever) enters the equation then i'm voting for Today/Summer Days...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 11:54:40 PM »

If "bonus tracks" were included my vote would be a strong yes for Sunflower/Surf's Up. The "Landlocked" sessions contain some of my favorite Beach Boys songs. Big Sur, I Just Got My Pay, Games People Play, Good Time, HELP is on the Way, Fallin' in Love (Lady), et cetera...

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 01:08:53 AM »

I love Today! and Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) the latter's weaker tracks let it down in comparison to Surf's Up weaker tracks. Sunflower has to be my favourite Beach Boys album (I actually really like Tears, I don't understand the disdain towards it) and Surf's Up only realy "weak" track is SDT, which is kind of a mood killer but it fares better than Salt Lake City and Amusement Parks U.S.A. Don't get me wrong, Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) is actually one of my favourites but is just edged out by the perfect Sunflower and the great Surf's Up.

I always laughed about the title Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!). I always think like the Beach Boys were offering Summer Days and then, to entice the audience and relieve their anticipation for Summer Nights as well, mention Summer Nights with excitement.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:23:37 AM by Youre Under Arrest » Logged

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 03:05:19 AM »

Sunflower has to be my favourite Beach Boys album (I actually really like Tears, I don't understand the disdain towards it) and Surf's Up only realy "weak" track is SDT, which is kind of a mood killer but it fares better than Salt Lake City and Amusement Parks U.S.A. Don't get me wrong, Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) is actually one of my favourites but is just edged out by the perfect Sunflower and the great Surf's Up.

I find that the instrumental/backing vocal track to Tears is better than the actual released version (and it's first when you've heard that version, you can really appreciate the song). It's funny how taste differs though. To me SLC and APUSA are among the best tracks on 'Summer Days' - in fact, the only really 'weak' tracks would be You're So Good to Me and I'm Bugged at My Ol' Man , and I really don't mind those tracks.

On 'Surf's Up' however, I'm not particularly fan of DG(1957), SDT (STD anyone? :D), ADITLOAT, and songs such as DGNTW, LAT(AWS), and TALOYF are alright, but nothing in compared to the 'middle-of-the-scale' songs on 'Summer Days'. Taste will always be subjective, I guess Wink
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:42:32 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
MBE
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 04:36:11 AM »

I wish I could do Today/Sunflower, both are among my favorite albums.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 07:06:51 AM »

Wow, I knew it would be close, but I didn't expect it to be an exact tie.

- Dr. Seuss
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »

Today/Summer Days

I think summer Days is underrated by fans.

TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 11:54:10 AM »

I went with Sunflower/Surf's Up slightly.  Today! may very well be the best album on there thanks to the gorgeous side two, but I'm very fond of Sunflower as well.  Summer Days is a good album but I find it a little more inconsistent as I do Surf's Up, and the highs of Surf's Up are hard to match almost anywhere.
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 04:05:27 AM »

I went with Today/Summer Days. Today is a fantastic concept album with it's two sides perfectly summing up the duality of Brian's song writing, and side two is obviously a close relation of Pet Sounds.

Summer Days is a comparatively weak record, true; but it does have some big guns. I mean California Girls, a much improved version of Help Me Rhonda and Then I Kissed Her, which, yes, is a cover, but there's something otherworldly about Brian's backing harmony and Al obviously sounds great on it! I really like Let Him Run Wild as well. The only tracks that really pull it down a lot for me are Amusement Parks USA and You're So Good To Me.

I've never been a big fan of Sunflower. Something about it just doesn't grab me in the same way as Brian's 60s work. Surf's Up does nothing for me, but makes me wonder what the BBs story would have been like if SMiLE had been finished and they hadn't spend the subsequent years slowly regurgitating SMiLE songs over the course of several records. Such a shame... ah well.

smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 06:23:56 AM »

I love Today and Sunflower. But I think Summer Days is a lot better than Surf's Up, so a no brainer for me.

I second.  Even though I'm not terribly fond of "Then I Kissed Her" and "I'm Bugged At My Old Man," Summer Days shows Brian Wilson on top of his game in terms of production and songwriting.  Maybe it is slightly more uneven than Today!, but there isn't the huge gap in quality that we see on Surf's Up.  Even though "'Til I Die" is probably better than anything on Summer Days, most of the non-Brian songs are not comparable to his work circa 1965, even though they are valiant efforts by the other members of the band.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 06:28:09 AM »

I don't get all the hate for You're So Good To me on this topic - that's like, one of my favourite songs (probably because it was on the original 'best of the beach boys')

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 06:28:59 AM »

Perhaps I should add that if I were to choose my favorite two-fer ever, I would probably either go with Smiley Smile/Wild Honey or Friends/20/20 rather than one of these two.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx