gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680718 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 03:47:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IJWMFTT & Dennis  (Read 6773 times)
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 12:25:06 PM »

Exactly.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »

I'm guessing it wasn't all that great or else it would have been saved. The melody is pretty dynamic, with all it's unusual ups and downs, not to mention the range, and I can't imagine Dennis being able to pull it off. I'd wager his take was pretty bad.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »

I'd wager his take was pretty bad.

According to 65/66-era perfectionist Brian? probably.

According to a diehard Beach Boys fan? doubt it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 02:06:00 AM »

Holy f***, Aegir's in color now.

I'm guessing it wasn't all that great or else it would have been saved. The melody is pretty dynamic, with all it's unusual ups and downs, not to mention the range, and I can't imagine Dennis being able to pull it off. I'd wager his take was pretty bad.
Even though the idea of Dennis singing the song is fascinating, if the attempt had been worthwhile wouldn't Brian have made a safety copy like he did with many alternate vocal takes recorded during Pet Sounds?

Did Brian really opt to save these, or did they just happen to survive by chance?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 09:41:14 AM »

Well, it's interesting.  I can't prove definitively that Dennis did a full pass of the full lead vocal, but I can prove that he tried to sing at least parts of it.  Nevertheless, I'm convinced he tried the whole thing at one point.

As far as being out of his range, it's not, really.  Consider ITBOMM, "It'll always be" at the end goes up to high A.  The "But they Ain't doin' me no good" line in IJWMFTT goes up only one more semi tone to Bb.  Dennis could certainly get up there.  I haven't examined the Tessituras of the two songs to see if IJWMFTT lies higher in general, but in terms of the extremes of the range, Dennis could do it.
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »

Well, it's interesting.  I can't prove definitively that Dennis did a full pass of the full lead vocal, but I can prove that he tried to sing at least parts of it.  Nevertheless, I'm convinced he tried the whole thing at one point.

As far as being out of his range, it's not, really.  Consider ITBOMM, "It'll always be" at the end goes up to high A.  The "But they Ain't doin' me no good" line in IJWMFTT goes up only one more semi tone to Bb.  Dennis could certainly get up there.  I haven't examined the Tessituras of the two songs to see if IJWMFTT lies higher in general, but in terms of the extremes of the range, Dennis could do it.

That's a good point. Perhaps the song really was within his range, then. But perhaps the melody was a little too active for him at least? It is definitely more appropriate that Brian sang it in any case.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »

I have no doubts it was within his range, but I do have doubts that he could have convincingly pulled that song off. Mustering the energy behind "BEE-EEE-EE-EEE-EEEEEEEEEE" was probably easy for him (and sounds incredible, obviously), but what goes on in "These Times" was probably not best-suited for him.

Still. As much as Brian nails this one, I really, really wish that at the very least, a Denny vocal would've survived for a Pet Sounds track.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 02:36:14 AM »

Didn't Brian also want him to sing 'I'm Waiting For The Day' or has the caffeine finally corroded the remainder of my tortured synapses, leaving my brain to conjure up misinformation and delirium in the face of trivialities such as facts or truth?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »

The white powder in my nose told me that Brian wanted Dennis to sing Let's Go Away for Awhile

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 05:44:12 AM »

According to Wikipedia, Dennis was originally meant to be singing IJWMFTT. Were any demos made (of Dennis) or were the entire lead tracks recorded with Brian?

I guess Dennis was the go-to guy whenever Brian had a song with lyrics that he thought revealed too much about himself.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 07:25:56 AM »

I can't imagine Dennis' version being better, but it does suck that his vocal was erased permanently. It's wierd, the man was spending loads of Capitol's money on studio time but he was worried about penny pinching on recording tape?
It probably wasn't penny-pinching, just day-to-day procedure in a recording studio.

Yep. Unquestioned, standard practice. I don't think that Capitol commanded it, even. Tape was/is expensive. We are so spoilt with today's technology, with which everything, but really everything can be saved and stored, even the occasional farting and burping of a band, that we tend to question things that aren't deserving of that.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx