gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:51:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IJWMFTT & Dennis  (Read 6787 times)
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:09:21 AM »

According to Wikipedia, Dennis was originally meant to be singing IJWMFTT. Were any demos made (of Dennis) or were the entire lead tracks recorded with Brian?

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 02:18:54 PM »

Dennis gave it a go on the multis, but was wiped over by Brian's final lead vocals.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 02:21:49 PM »

Dennis gave it a go on the multis, but was wiped over by Brian's final lead vocals.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 03:01:21 PM »

It's a shame, he doesn't have any lead on a such incredible and important BB record :/ (even Carl needed more, imo)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »

Yeah, what a shame. Pet Sounds might have actually been a decent album if Dennis had a lead vocal on it.
 Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 03:04:55 PM by MarcellaHasDirtyFeet » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 03:08:43 PM »

I can't imagine Dennis' version being better, but it does suck that his vocal was erased permanently. It's wierd, the man was spending loads of Capitol's money on studio time but he was worried about penny pinching on recording tape?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »

I can't imagine Dennis' version being better, but it does suck that his vocal was erased permanently. It's wierd, the man was spending loads of Capitol's money on studio time but he was worried about penny pinching on recording tape?
It probably wasn't penny-pinching, just day-to-day procedure in a recording studio.
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 06:22:44 PM »

Wow. I could totally hear a Dennis lead on this one. That would have been like "In The Back of my Mind" pt. 2!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 07:05:41 PM »

Not that there's anything wrong with Brian's amazing lead, but I do think Dennis could have done it very well, maybe better.

All the things that could have been.... Not even worth talking about. Write some fan fiction about it or something if it's something you need to get off with or whatever.

No mas, por favor.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 07:10:05 PM »

Yeah, what a shame. Pet Sounds might have actually been a decent album if Dennis had a lead vocal on it.
 Roll Eyes

Wow, what an unpleasant attitude.. when did i ever said such things? Pet Sounds is with SMiLE my fav album, i'm not saying it could have been better or that it "might have ben actually a decent album" (quote me, cause i don't remember saying anything that meant this) i was just saying it would have been cool to have some more leads by Dennis or Carl, i'm not saying it would make Pet Sounds better tho, it's good as it is.

Jesus christ, how freaking sad that board can be sometimes.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:11:37 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 08:27:16 PM »

Thanks for the information, although I'm pretty disappointed with it haha.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 08:33:25 PM »

Roll Eyes

Wow, what an unpleasant attitude.. when did i ever said such things? Pet Sounds is with SMiLE my fav album, i'm not saying it could have been better or that it "might have ben actually a decent album" (quote me, cause i don't remember saying anything that meant this) i was just saying it would have been cool to have some more leads by Dennis or Carl, i'm not saying it would make Pet Sounds better tho, it's good as it is.

Jesus christ, how freaking sad that board can be sometimes.

Well, you're right. Dennis absolutely could have done the song justice. As an unabashed DW fan, I would have loved to hear his attempt.

But it really is perfect as it is.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 11:33:33 PM »

Wow. I could totally hear a Dennis lead on this one. That would have been like "In The Back of my Mind" pt. 2!

The slightly amusing thing is, as I opined many years ago on a mailing list, first listen to ITBOMM, and then listen to the word "behind" on the first verse of IJWMFTT -- preferably with headphones. Either the mono or stereo mix will work.

The Wilson genetics thing is truly spooky at times. And thus, yes, it is indeed fairly easy to imagine Dennis doing this one...and feeling right at home with it in the process.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:35:07 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 11:56:39 PM »

I can't imagine Dennis singing the "They say I got brains, but they ain't doin' me no good" part. The rest, probably.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 12:12:25 AM »

I can't imagine Dennis singing the "They say I got brains, but they ain't doin' me no good" part. The rest, probably.

I too think it would've worked best as a split-verse thing between Dennis and Brian, though I'm not sure those latter, upper notes would've been completely out of Dennis's range at the time (e.g. perhaps double-tracked). Maybe, a little wild, but.......lol.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 02:40:14 AM »

Even though I'm a massive fanboy, I don't think the entire song would have worked so well with him...

That said- the 'sometimes, I get, very sad' 'put my heart and soul into' bits that all sound like (are?) Brian overdubbed, would have benefitted from some gutsy Denny vocals in there.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 06:58:00 AM »

I think it would have added a lot of emotion to have Dennis sing a lead late on the Pet Sounds album. Caroline, No might have been more in his range, but Brian is perfect on that one. So a split lead of IJWMFTT would have been great! Personally, I think its one of the 'weeker' songs on the album and may have benefited from a raw vocal performance of Dennis.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 07:20:33 AM »

I can't hear Dennis singing "I just Wasn't Made For These Time" because, from everything we've read - especially on this board - he was! Isn't it the other Beach Boys who WEREN'T the cool ones?

However, I can hear Dennis singing, "I know so many people who think they can do it alone..."
SBonilla
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »

I just don't think he had the range to be able nail it in the key that it was recorded.  I betcha money he was straining on those passes.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 05:11:49 AM »

Personally, I think its one of the 'weeker' songs on the album

HA! This thread just jumped the shark  LOL
Nicko1234
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 05:49:55 AM »

Definitely right that Brian sang the lead vocal on the album version. The lyrics (in spite of him not writing them) fit him down to the ground. Would have been interesting to hear a Dennis attempt though.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 02:07:51 PM »

I agree that some of the song was out of his range. But Dennis singing the lower parts of the song could have added a new depth of emotion to the album.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 03:38:20 PM »

They say I got brains, but they ain't doin' me no good
It would've had to have been something like: "Brian says I'm too stupid, but how did I learn to sing?"
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »

It's a shame, he doesn't have any lead on a such incredible and important BB record :/ (even Carl needed more, imo)

no, it's not and no, Carl needn't more. God Only Knows is the most recognisable song on Pet Sounds and perhaps the most covered BB song by musicians, overall. Know what I mean?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 12:05:45 PM »

Even though the idea of Dennis singing the song is fascinating, if the attempt had been worthwhile wouldn't Brian have made a safety copy like he did with many alternate vocal takes recorded during Pet Sounds?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx