gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:54:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another S**t stirring article in The Independent today !  (Read 85902 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: September 30, 2012, 10:30:05 AM »

Its funny that Howie basically relates very truthfully that Melinda and Jaqui are the bottom line, in charge, calling the shots, wielding the power...and Fildepage somehow takes that as an "undertone of disrespect".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 30, 2012, 10:32:16 AM »

News flash: We, women can vote, be doctors, lawyers, and Secretaries' of State.  And be lifelong passionate Beach Boys fans.

Thanks, Teach. Sure glad you reminded us of that.   Roll Eyes

Fillthepage, I don't think Howie owes any of the Beach Boys' wives an apology for anything.  He's just tellin' it like it is.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 30, 2012, 10:34:29 AM »

Its funny that Howie basically relates very truthfully that Melinda and Jaqui are the bottom line, in charge, calling the shots, wielding the power...and Fildepage somehow takes that as an "undertone of disrespect".

Well, that story is a 180 degree turn from last week.  Last week Mike was the villain. Splashed globally.  Now it is the wives?

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 30, 2012, 10:36:28 AM »

Melinda's a tyrant

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 30, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »

News flash: We, women can vote, be doctors, lawyers, and Secretaries' of State.  And be lifelong passionate Beach Boys fans.

Thanks, Teach. Sure glad you reminded us of that.   Roll Eyes

Fillthepage, I don't think Howie owes any of the Beach Boys' wives an apology for anything.  He's just tellin' it like it is.

Why would anyone make a statement like that?  Sorry.  So they are in the Yoko Ono category?  And history blames her for no Beatle reunion, as if Lennon did not have a mind of his own?  
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 30, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »

Melinda's a tyrant

One would think people would be given the benefit of the doubt, until you know them personally.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 30, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »

Mike wants the next stage of the band reunion to be a new album with more artistic input from him than TWGMTR had. He wants to co-write songs with Brian again. This is not going to happen with Brian still on the road as part of a neverending anniversary tour. And Mike knows he can do the Mike & Bruce Shows in his sleep meanwhile.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:41:58 AM by Mike's Beard IV: Beards In Space » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: September 30, 2012, 10:40:51 AM »

I'll restate my question/concern before it gets lost in the discussion again...

Are there any opinions on why no one who really matters (i.e. an actual band member) has, as of now, come forward to say something about this? It obviously spun out of control, it took on a life of it's own, etc.

If it were in fact a "simple misunderstanding", why didn't someone other than an anonymous publicist come out to clarify any of it a few days ago? Solve it with a simple appearance or statement, and it's a done deal - move ahead.

Something just ain't quite right, as they say.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 30, 2012, 10:42:22 AM »

Melinda's a tyrant

One would think people would be given the benefit of the doubt, until you know them personally.

Actions speak louder than words

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 30, 2012, 10:42:45 AM »

Filledeplage what are you even talking about???

You've missed EVERY point.

Literally.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 30, 2012, 10:43:41 AM »

Howie's reports are great and really have been getting at the true story behind the scenes without the BS.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 30, 2012, 10:48:43 AM »

Well, that story is a 180 degree turn from last week.  Last week Mike was the villain. Splashed globally.  Now it is the wives?

The villain is the horrible way this was handled as far as inflaming the public perception that the Beach Boys are firing each other etc... It could have easily been avoided, and the Mike press release, the wording of it, the Beach Boys reluctance to mitigate that by giving an explanation that no one was fired etc... All of that was stupid and ugly. The behind the scenes truth is that Melinda and Jaqui essentially pull the levers of the two integrated organizations that have made this reunion possible. If they were currently operating in harmony as they were throughout most of this reunion, this most likely would not have happened. Seems obvious. You are the first person in this exchange to label them as villains. I'd view them as being in charge, and as having done a fantastic job with all reunion related issues...until now.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:49:51 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 30, 2012, 11:00:08 AM »

Literally.

Howie - I don't think so.  My impression is that in trying to get a "back story" for example the CalSaga thing, Mike seemed to make what I could "aspirational" or hopeful statement about the new band, opening up some shows.  Then, you take that conversation, and ask a CalSaga member, who does not seem to be aware of Mike's hopes, which I use loosely, if things aren't cast in stone, and tell us about the "inconsistency" in what you report.  I heard him make that statement at some even that was on YouTube, where he performed California Girls.  And, it was that opening up the shows would be something to work towards.  Sounded more like a aspirational goal.

At another point, you claim to "press Mike" about details, that maybe aren't cast in stone, either.  Maybe he wanted to keep his business plan to himself.

But, people (all of us) should be more careful about stereotyping, whether is it gender or other bias.  And what you seem to be saying, that it is the fault of "the women."  And it has a "Yoko Ono" tone from the 60's and 70's.  I thought we were long past that.  

No one can have it both ways.  They world blames Mike.  And, and now, it is "the women."

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 30, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »

Every point.
You missed it.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 30, 2012, 11:10:32 AM »

Well, that story is a 180 degree turn from last week.  Last week Mike was the villain. Splashed globally.  Now it is the wives?

The villain is the horrible way this was handled as far as inflaming the public perception that the Beach Boys are firing each other etc... It could have easily been avoided, and the Mike press release, the wording of it, the Beach Boys reluctance to mitigate that by giving an explanation that no one was fired etc... All of that was stupid and ugly. The behind the scenes truth is that Melinda and Jaqui essentially pull the levers of the two integrated organizations that have made this reunion possible. If they were currently operating in harmony as they were throughout most of this reunion, this most likely would not have happened. Seems obvious. You are the first person in this exchange to label them as villains. I'd view them as being in charge, and as having done a fantastic job with all reunion related issues...until now.

Yes, I agree. The feminist rhetorical battle here is dully academic and anachronistic--a bit too Helen Reddy for my scholarly tastes. Without any gendered political jargon, let's just say the various emotional, interpersonal and familial forces, like waves, can be tidal waves or waves of love: they have done much good.

The question is, what now?  The entire issue can be resolved publicly only if it is resolved privately.  If the BB themselves, who are not children needing approval of their parents or wives, want to establish a clear plan they can.  We are open to that plan, which I describe as follows (for the 10th time):

"Mike and Bruce will be our ambassadors for a while, fulfilling prior commitments and keeping the BB alive throughout the world while Brian, Al, and Dave gear up for the next album and future full-band tours. So stay tuned for more from Americas's greatest band in 2013."

It's as simple as that as a final equation if Mike and Brian commit to write together and Mike commits to full band work on the album and in selected tours.  Heavens, Mike is right about not wanting to do this juggernaut perpetually.  Bring it down to 20 dates next summer?
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 30, 2012, 11:17:49 AM »

The smartest thing that they could have done is announce that Mike is fulfilling his commitments through the end of the year (while simply but adequately explaining the BRI license agreement once and for all) while listing all the wonderful accomplishments of 2012.

Then on or around Thanksgiving, announce the box set as well as two Staples Center shows for December 30th and December 31st to wrap the 50th anniversary.

It's that easy.
It's beyond a no-brainer.
It's Showbiz 101.
How do these guys not know how to do this thing by now?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:19:14 AM by Howie Edelson » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 30, 2012, 11:22:57 AM »

Howie, will they listen to you if you tell them that, likely for the 20th time? We can only hope that all our efforts here are actually part of a real line of communication to the band.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 30, 2012, 11:25:19 AM »

The smartest thing that they could have done is announce that Mike is fulfilling his commitments through the end of the year (while simply but adequately explaining the BRI license agreement once and for all) while listing all the wonderful accomplishments of 2012.

Then on or around Thanksgiving, announce the box set as well as two Staples Center shows for December 30th and December 31st to wrap the 50th anniversary.

It's that easy.
It's beyond a no-brainer.
It's Showbiz 101.
How do these guys not know how to do this thing by now?

Is that on that cards?

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 30, 2012, 11:26:01 AM »

Jon - if "villain" is too harsh, then, I apologize, it must be the H&W lyrics.  Since we are in that BB land of discourse.  Just for a second, I'll follow your concept of the evolution of this tour.  And, suppose "the ladies" are to credit for this wonderful series of events, is anyone saying "Thanks" to them?  I'm not hearing it.  Did the ladies "negotiate?"  Saying they are "pulling the levers" of the integrated organizations, is equally strong language on your part.  (If women headed every nation of the world, I doubt we would be at war.  That is a fact.)  So, they should get their proper respect for helping make it happen.

The wild card was the petition.  And, I've run through it several times.  And, my old political days, checking nomination papers, would have thrown out the "anonymous" ones.  And the many "doubles." A fan petition is great.  But, when it becomes attached to a principal's web page, there could be a problem.  That is where it took on a life of its' own.  

Is there a message that fans want the Big Band?  Do people get that?  Ya.  But, if people turn back the clock, post-Carl, there was a definite "void" of Beach Boys music that Mike's Band filled.  And, they were ok at the beginning, and frankly, it was like seeking life after a family death.  But, he stuck with it, and plugged in some fabulous musicians, and, now, they sell out plenty of shows and are real crowd pleasers. They (Mike and Bruce) filled that void, for fans for all this time, and, now, are considered "disposable?"  No one is saying that, but, it is the impression that is being cultivated.

And no one is addressing it, yet call it a "side band."  Does the baby get thrown out with the proverbial bath water?  Or, can some accord be reached? My guess is that it can.  

And, if "the ladies" could get to "yes" once; they can again.    Wink

Maybe they should run the White House.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 30, 2012, 11:30:51 AM »

Last I looked, feminists were about women having their own careers, not living off their husband's money, talents, and reflected glories.  Men who do the same to their own talented wives (such as Mr. Celine Dion, Rene whathisname) have the same suspicions cast on them, and they should, so it's fair to speculate on their motives or more importantly, whether they're competent and professional and able to cast aside their personal biases towards their spouses for the good of the organization. 
oldsurferdude
« Reply #395 on: September 30, 2012, 11:32:28 AM »

Mike is a musical genius and a brilliant front man but what a truly a horrible person.

Brilliant and genius? Myke Luhv? Huh? Those words are non applicable when speaking of the cheezster. I'll gladly go with "...truly a horrible person", hitting the nail on that shiny head of his. Thumbs Up
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 30, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »

Last I looked, feminists were about women having their own careers, not living off their husband's money, talents, and reflected glories.  Men who do the same to their own talented wives (such as Mr. Celine Dion, Rene whathisname) have the same suspicions cast on them, and they should, so it's fair to speculate on their motives or more importantly, whether they're competent and professional and able to cast aside their personal biases towards their spouses for the good of the organization. 

Those ladies seem to work alongside their husbands.  Being independent does not exclude working in a "family business."

They must be competent. We got a 50th reunion tour.

Men, can be feminists.   
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: September 30, 2012, 12:09:36 PM »

Literally.

Every point.
You missed it.

filledeplage has a record of seeing "offending" things, that only her is offended by. Most of the time, it's because those "offending" things aren't even there to begin with.

Thanks a lot to Howie for his enlightening post about what happened, and might still be happening, behind the scenes.

Fillthepage...

Just spotted this gem and literally laughed out loud LOL
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:16:22 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 30, 2012, 12:25:51 PM »

Literally.

Every point.
You missed it.

filledeplage has a record of seeing "offending" things, that only her is offended by. Most of the time, it's because those "offending" things aren't even there to begin with.

Maybe, if the wives of Mike or Brian read this board, they might not like being referred to in terms that have been enumerated above.  They are public figures, so it might come with the turf. 

This is largely a well informed, primarily male poster/readership, and so, much of what I read, I take with a grain of salt.  This, is different, dissing the wives.  And, a little restraint, and looking at things from the other side of the coin might not hurt.  As a woman, it is interesting to me, that the wives crafted the accord to get to the reunion.  In a sense, they are like ambassadors.  Who doesn't respect that? 

Some of this stuff, particularly offensive stuff was on Mike's Facebook page and the petition. People can say they don't like someone without being insulting and hurtful.  And this week has been very nasty with insult hurling.   And, all coming from music.  Great music. 

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 30, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »

This is largely a well informed, primarily male poster/readership, and so, much of what I read, I take with a grain of salt.  This, is different, dissing the wives.  And, a little restraint, and looking at things from the other side of the coin might not hurt.  As a woman, it is interesting to me, that the wives crafted the accord to get to the reunion.  In a sense, they are like ambassadors.  Who doesn't respect that? 

Fille - Your posts are generally filled with great analysis and insight, but I can't see where Howie, in any way, shape, or form, was "dissing the wives".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx