gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680778 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 04:59:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another S**t stirring article in The Independent today !  (Read 85952 times)
Jason
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 10:36:19 AM »

I still think this is all merely a mountain being made from a molehill. Patience. The Beach Boys are still thinking three moves ahead of us.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 10:36:37 AM »

I'd say its more accurate to say he's copping sh*t because Brian, Al and Dave have expressed their desire to alter said gameplan... to allow continuance of the current lineup, accept the dozens of gigs they've been offered, and record another album. Mike (for now) has chosen to resist that and stick with the original terms of the reunion. There would be far less whining if Brian had said, that's it, he's happy, the reunion is over etc... But he's saying he wants to keep the five together, as are Al and Dave. As long as they are saying that Mike will continue to be cast as the puppy killer.
[/quote]

I thought I read (an accurate?) quote from Mike Love that he would like to record another Beach Boys' album - if he could write some songs with Brian. Not ALL the songs (if I remember correctly), but SOME songs. Wouldn't that be considered continuing the reunion?

Also, if Brian, Al, and David continued touring with Mike & Bruce immediately after the scheduled reunion dates, where would they get the money to pay everyone? You would know better than me, aren't the performance fees for the upcoming Mike & Bruce shows already contractually agreed upon? And, you would know this better than anyone, would David agree to play with Mike & Bruce at a substantially lower pay than he is getting for the reunion shows? And, do you know how David would feel if a guitar player would get "bumped" if David joined the Mike & Bruce band for the upcoming shows?

EDIT: I was trying to quote Jon. Sorry it came out a little jumbled. I don't know how to fix it... police
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:50:26 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 10:38:17 AM »

Maybe Mike prefers being his own boss and not having to run everything past The Brian Wilson Management Machine?

Also, how many stage-techs/musicians did Mike employ in his own band before the 50th? He probably has loyalties to these people about returning to the usual pre-50th touring.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »

Maybe Mike prefers being his own boss and not having to run everything past The Brian Wilson Management Machine?

Also, how many stage-techs/musicians did Mike employ in his own band before the 50th? He probably has loyalties to these people about returning to the usual pre-50th touring.
Its actually a pretty compact touring unit with:

Late 2007 – 2011

Mike Love – lead vocals

Bruce Johnston – keyboards, vocals

With supporting musicians:
 Scott Totten – guitar, vocals Musical Director
 Randell Kirsch – bass, vocals
 Tim Bonhomme – keyboards
 John Cowsill – drums, vocals
 Christian Love – electric and acoustic guitars, vocals
 John Stamos – electric guitar, drums, vocals, percussion (select shows)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »

Late 2007 – 2011

Mike Love – lead vocals

Tim Bonhomme – keyboards

True. The backup band used to be bigger. Back in 2000 the band consisted of Michael, Bruce, Adrian Baker, Chris Farmer, Tim Bonhomme, Joel Peskin, Mike Kowalski, Phil Bardowell, and Mike Meros.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 11:00:44 AM »

I don't think there's really any reason to believe that they'll never work together again.  It's probable that they will: be it a new album or another stint of shows.  I don't see why we should really be upset over a small break until they come back again?  For Mike, the show must go on.  There are no hiatuses or large portions of the calendar marked off for "vacation."  The road is his life.  Brian, David and Al simply don't have that same life.  Why should Mike accommodate them when he's been doing it this way forever? 

Plus, as mentioned earlier, as much as the guys need a break, I have no doubt that Mike needs a break himself from jumping through hoops and walking on eggshells around the Brian "team."  Things obviously went great during this tour--no doubt because everyone was on their best behavior, I can see Mike just want a breather and go back to a simpler setup for a few months.  I think the Beach Boys legacy can withstand a few months of the Mike/Bruce show on the road until the full group comes together again later.....
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:02:06 AM by Justin » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »

Late 2007 – 2011

Mike Love – lead vocals

Tim Bonhomme – keyboards

True. The backup band used to be bigger. Back in 2000 the band consisted of Michael, Bruce, Adrian Baker, Chris Farmer, Tim Bonhomme, Joel Peskin, Mike Kowalski, Phil Bardowell, and Mike Meros.
Band got smaller, shows got a hell of a lot better. The show I went to in 2011 was great for what it was, summertime fun band.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 11:11:47 AM »

wow, this is a perfect example of the media just taking a story and twisting it..

It's amusing to witness, especially when you know the truth

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jason
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 11:12:32 AM »

Saying John Stamos is a member of the backup band is like saying Billy Hinsche was one of the Beach Boys...they were CLOSE to being there, but not actual members. John Stamos is more of a cheerleader than Bruce is!
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »

1988:
Howard Stern: "I mean what the hell is John Stamos doing in the Beach Boys?"
Brian Wilson: "Hahahahaha"

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »

I'm just puzzled about this near glee about "breaking the news" to fellow fans that everything should just go back to the way it was and the reunion should end, in light of the other members showing an interest in more touring and recording.

This is my reaction precisely.

Why would someone act happy that this is the outcome, regardless of how preordained it actually was?

And if three of the five members are actively objecting, how preordained was it really?

Thank you for those words. This is how I feel. I'm as much of a realist about this all as any BB fan, cynical too. I never thought the reunion was going to crumble half-way through or anything, simply because of the financial obligations involved. I assumed they would go back to the way it was in 2011 afterwards. I thought they would put more breathing room in between the end of the reunion and resuming Mike/Bruce shows, if for no other reason than to save Mike's band from being unfavorable compared to an inherently superior band/lineup.

The sole fact I don't understand is how big BB fans, who loved this reunion tour, are happily telling fans who are just pointing out "hey, look over there in the corner, Brian, Al, and David actually want to do more reunion shows!" that they are naive, etc., and also celebrating going back to how it was before. "Hey, Mike's band puts on a great show!" I'll bet he does now, and Totten and Cowsill proved it to me. But there's a BETTER band waiting in the wings!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:35:41 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jason
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »

I never celebrated going back to how it was before...I just said I wasn't surprised about it. Seriously...what about this is such a shock? It was known back in JUNE.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 11:37:10 AM »

Essentially, Mike is copping sh*t for announcing that the gameplan agreed in the first place by all concerned parties will be adhered to.
I'd say its more accurate to say he's copping sh*t because Brian, Al and Dave have expressed their desire to alter said gameplan... to allow continuance of the current lineup, accept the dozens of gigs they've been offered, and record another album. Mike (for now) has chosen to resist that and stick with the original terms of the reunion. There would be far less whining if Brian had said, that's it, he's happy, the reunion is over etc... But he's saying he wants to keep the five together, as are Al and Dave. As long as they are saying that Mike will continue to be cast as the puppy killer.

Thanks for clarifying things, Jon. Much appreciated!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2012, 11:39:32 AM »

I never celebrated going back to how it was before...I just said I wasn't surprised about it. Seriously...what about this is such a shock? It was known back in JUNE.

I suppose the outrage isn't about things going back to the way they were, we did all know that was going to  happen. But a fundamental thing in the equation changed, and that is an *active* willingness from Brian, Al, and David to keep it going. I'm not shocked so much that Mike may not care about that, but it makes Mike going back to his own tour much more heartbreaking.

It's true that we probably would have been better off not knowing that the others wanted to keep it going.  LOL

Hopefully something yet will be worked out.  Smiley

Jason
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »

Hey, I'd love to see the five-man tour go on as it is. But it's not happening, at least not right now.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2012, 11:47:55 AM »

I suppose the outrage isn't about things going back to the way they were, we did all know that was going to  happen. But a fundamental thing in the equation changed, and that is an *active* willingness from Brian, Al, and David to keep it going. I'm not shocked so much that Mike may not care about that, but it makes Mike going back to his own tour much more heartbreaking.

It's true that we probably would have been better off not knowing that the others wanted to keep it going.  LOL

Contracts were drawn up and plans were made while completly keeping in mind that the reunion tour was a one-time thing that had a start and end date.  Why do we assume that it's so easy for them to now break agreements and contracts and extend the tour indefinitely?  Mike and Bruce made plans for more shows in October...with a good group of other band members and crew prepared to take those shows on.  What does it mean to them that Mike will now break out of those commitments?  Let's just let the events pass and see what they do next year.  Right now, they're just following through with the plans they initiated earlier this year. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:51:02 AM by Justin » Logged
Jason
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2012, 11:50:19 AM »

Contracts were drawn up and plans were made while completly keeping in mind that the reunion tour was a one-time thing that had a start and end date.  Why do we assume that it's so easy for them to now break agreements and contacts and extend the tour indefinitely?  Mike and Bruce made plans for more shows in October...with a good group of other band members and crew prepared to take those shows on.  What does it mean to them that Mike will now break out of those commitments?  Let's just let the events pass and see what they do next year.  Right now, they're just following through with the plans they initiated earlier this year. 

I don't think it's an outlandish claim to say that Brianistas lack integrity and that they believe the rest of the world (meaning Michael Love) should fall in line behind their demands.
Jason
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2012, 12:02:40 PM »

Seriously...this whole business was known by everyone here back in June. It wasn't even an open secret. There shouldn't even be a debate. The Beach Boys ended up receiving some of the best free publicity with this whole situation. When the Celebration tour returns it will be attended in even higher numbers than before.

There is no ulterior motive on any of the band members' parts. Like it or not, the music rags love to get behind the Beach Boys whenever they're involved in some kind of squabbling. It builds interest in the band and (gasp!) can even bring new fans into the fold. They probably know it better than most considering how many times they've ended up in the rags for whatever troubles they're involved in.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »

Plus...people seem to just overlook the paperwork involved with all of this.  This reunion tour was handled no different than any other tour by any other artist....there were terms and conditions and a set timeframe for the duration of the tour.  The only weird thing in this scenario is that Mike has another band which he tours with that bears the same name as the group he just finished a tour with.  It's so weird (and awkward) but Mike's other band is what he knows.  It's his go-to and that won't go away.  If the reunited group wants to continue on, Mike will treat the reunion group as something special.  It'll be his BMW that he drives around on special occasions when he's not driving around in his Camry   Wink
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:05:46 PM by Justin » Logged
Jason
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 12:15:54 PM »

Exactly. It's refreshing to see some more mellowed responses to the situation. The Beach Boys aren't going to be splintering forever, never to reunite. There just happens to be a little bump in the road in the form of previous contractual obligations for the Michael and Bruce band. Besides...if there's to be another album I doubt Brian's going to be able to write on the road. Same with Al and David. Let them relax for a while and come up with some new stuff.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »

It's kinda struck me as funny how for years many fans assumed that Mike was desperate to work with Brian under any circumstances - now these same type of people are criticising him for not jumping at the click of Brian's fingers.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
donb720
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »

From where I sit, which is nowhere near the level most of you are at, the split personality of the band has always been its blessing as well as its curse.

The recording Beach Boys have always need(ed) the touring Beach Boys to survive and vice versa. Love (for whatever personal reasons) has doggedly and relentlessly kept the band in the public consciousness. Wilson has created the music and continues to be the spiritual driving force. They are two sides of the same coin. They complete each other. Every once in a while those vectors intersect and we are blessed with something that is greater than than sum of its parts.

Patterns. They won't change.  We've been through this before (see 'Brian's Back, all the lawsuits etc.").  It's part of the life of this band. To hope for the best is wonderful. To expect anything different is foolish.  The only difference now is the internet and those of us who feel so connected to the music can communicate about it so easily.

Personally, I would hate to see this incarnation of the band watered down. It's powerful, huge and tight with depth and soul. Great to see Marks getting the recognition and Jardine getting his due. All the ingredients are there (less Carl and Dennis). OR just hang it up after Wembley. Leave em wanting more. It was a great run but now it's over.

But no matter what we say or think, the DNA of the band/myth has always been fractious and fragile. And will always be so. Ancient hatchets are not buried so easily it seems. And, let's face it, they are 70ish now. How long can any one of them keep it up. It won't be long til summertime is through. Thank goodness this moment in time has been documented from every conceivable angle.

On the other hand, somehow, some way this band has always risen from its own ashes and surprised everyone. So who knows?
Jason
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »

It's kinda struck me as funny how for years many fans assumed that Mike was desperate to work with Brian under any circumstances - now these same type of people are criticising him for not jumping at the click of Brian's fingers.

WOW...you just NAILED it, my friend.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2012, 12:19:38 PM »

Exactly. It's refreshing to see some more mellowed responses to the situation. The Beach Boys aren't going to be splintering forever, never to reunite. There just happens to be a little bump in the road in the form of previous contractual obligations for the Michael and Bruce band. Besides...if there's to be another album I doubt Brian's going to be able to write on the road. Same with Al and David. Let them relax for a while and come up with some new stuff.

yes, I agree, but why won't they say that instead of us; a 19 word press release will calm us down: "Mike and Bruce will do some shows while we rest up for the new album and the next tour."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:21:07 PM by the professor » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2012, 12:21:15 PM »

I thought Mike would go hatless in public to write with Brian again. LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx