gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:44:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another S**t stirring article in The Independent today !  (Read 85973 times)
Jason
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »

I turned on the radio a few minutes ago and they were discussing the "break up"

People were talking about wanting refunds to the UK gigs. This is getting a little out of hand, a statement needs to be issued

Let them bitch about their refunds. And all this time I thought that John Bull's people were such HUGE Beach Boys fans...

You are sooooo f***ing jingoistic. I'm American too, and proud of it, but shut the f*** up, please! And please don't keep telling people they aren't real fans because they don't live up to some stupid standard you set up for them in your mind.

You know, a lesser moderator would probably just ban someone for that comment. I won't, even if you hate my guts and talk all manner of trash at me. Just remember that the next time you refer to me as the "worst moderator ever".

This has little to do with jingoism or national pride. It has everything to do with people who want things both ways. I still believe that all of this outrage among Beach Boys fans is just manufactured. People are looking for every reason to demonize Michael for a decision that has origins dating to June. We all debated that Rolling Stone article (if I remember correctly, that was the source) which reported the eventual return of the Michael and Bruce band after the tour was finished. Sure, maybe the press release the other day was botched and untimely. But it is what it is. I can't say I didn't see it coming.

I just don't see what the fuss is about. I think it's just crony behavior from a bunch of people who just can't understand why things don't always have the "proper" ending despite ALL of the evidence available to them with a mere Google search; they're all saying some of the most horrible things I've ever heard about Michael. Sure, I'm not thrilled about the fact that the reunion tour is ending and the Michael and Bruce band is coming back in its stead, but obligations are obligations. To be honest, I'd rather have the Michael and Bruce/Brian/Al/David setup for now so the five man group will be an EVENT like it was this summer. I don't want this setup to get stale and I doubt anyone else does, either. Keep it scarce. Build up demand. Let them tour every so often. Make these tours an EVENT.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2012, 08:59:09 PM »

The shit has spread to the AV Club now.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/mike-love-gives-three-of-the-beach-boys-the-boot,85461/

Jason
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2012, 09:04:17 PM »

Sheesh...those comments are despicable.
Nicko1234
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »

yes. he should stay home and wait.
or do some shows as Mike & Bruce's Endless Summer or whatever if he just HAS to keep performing.

Think about that for a second. Do you think it is in any way realistic???

The whole reason why Mike licensed the use of the name (and pays well for it) is because it sells tickets. The Endless Summer Band wouldn`t and didn`t.

Plus, if when the reunion was mooted Mike had thought to himself, `I could tour with the other 4 guys but then will never be able to use The Beach Boys name again except when they all fancy it`do you honestly think that the tour would have taken place??? It obviously wouldn`t.

Everyone knew the score including the hardcore fans. The tour would continue for a finite length of time and then things would get back to normal.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2012, 09:08:49 PM »

The reunited lineup is the new normal. There is no going back in most of the fans' eyes, and apparently Brian and Al feel the same way too.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »

The reunited lineup is the new normal. There is no going back in most of the fans' eyes, and apparently Brian and Al feel the same way too.

Exactly.

I turned on the radio a few minutes ago and they were discussing the "break up"

People were talking about wanting refunds to the UK gigs. This is getting a little out of hand, a statement needs to be issued

Let them bitch about their refunds. And all this time I thought that John Bull's people were such HUGE Beach Boys fans...

You are sooooo f***ing jingoistic. I'm American too, and proud of it, but shut the f*** up, please! And please don't keep telling people they aren't real fans because they don't live up to some stupid standard you set up for them in your mind.

You know, a lesser moderator would probably just ban someone for that comment. I won't, even if you hate my guts and talk all manner of trash at me. Just remember that the next time you refer to me as the "worst moderator ever".

This has little to do with jingoism or national pride. It has everything to do with people who want things both ways. I still believe that all of this outrage among Beach Boys fans is just manufactured. People are looking for every reason to demonize Michael for a decision that has origins dating to June. We all debated that Rolling Stone article (if I remember correctly, that was the source) which reported the eventual return of the Michael and Bruce band after the tour was finished. Sure, maybe the press release the other day was botched and untimely. But it is what it is. I can't say I didn't see it coming.

I just don't see what the fuss is about. I think it's just crony behavior from a bunch of people who just can't understand why things don't always have the "proper" ending despite ALL of the evidence available to them with a mere Google search; they're all saying some of the most horrible things I've ever heard about Michael. Sure, I'm not thrilled about the fact that the reunion tour is ending and the Michael and Bruce band is coming back in its stead, but obligations are obligations. To be honest, I'd rather have the Michael and Bruce/Brian/Al/David setup for now so the five man group will be an EVENT like it was this summer. I don't want this setup to get stale and I doubt anyone else does, either. Keep it scarce. Build up demand. Let them tour every so often. Make these tours an EVENT.

Do you really not understand why people get upset with you? And then to threaten bannings? Sheesh.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2012, 09:11:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure if we go back back to the initial reunion threads many of us predicated this would end in disaster   LOL

The Boys never let us down!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2012, 09:13:18 PM »

I don't know. Who wants to bet that Mike says something really gracious and hopeful about the future at the Wembley show?

I kind of expect that he will. Easiest way to get the message out, and it will hopefully get another round of news coverage.
Nicko1234
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2012, 09:14:20 PM »

It isn`t and despite Brian and Al maybe fancying doing a few more concerts I have yet to see any comments where they`ve said that they would like to do world tours every year.

You didn`t answer the basic questions I asked I notice. Because you couldn`t I presume.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »

I thought I read (an accurate?) quote from Mike Love that he would like to record another Beach Boys' album - if he could write some songs with Brian. Not ALL the songs (if I remember correctly), but SOME songs. Wouldn't that be considered continuing the reunion?

Also, if Brian, Al, and David continued touring with Mike & Bruce immediately after the scheduled reunion dates, where would they get the money to pay everyone? You would know better than me, aren't the performance fees for the upcoming Mike & Bruce shows already contractually agreed upon? And, you would know this better than anyone, would David agree to play with Mike & Bruce at a substantially lower pay than he is getting for the reunion shows? And, do you know how David would feel if a guitar player would get "bumped" if David joined the Mike & Bruce band for the upcoming shows?

Its my understanding that more offers became available for more reunion shows, so instead of stopping at say 75, they had offers for 10 or 20 more or something...more dates tacked on to the reunion tour...but these were turned down because Mike chose/planned/contracted to return to his pre-reunion set-up and his own bookings. I really don't know the motivation or details, just the generality that there were more reunion lineup offers left on the table, and from my impression Brian, Al and Dave were up for keeping it going, but Mike was not. Again i only have a general knowledge that this was the case, but no specifics as to how, why, where etc... And yes, Mike has said he'd like to record and write more with Brian, so hopefully that means with the five of them together.

From my "Limited Inside Knowledge", there is another reason (not to do with money, control, ego, power........), that no one has hit on, why Mike wants/likes to play these smaller venues not appropriate for the full Reunion band.  That's all I can say.

If you are referring to 'benefits' of small gigs, then yes, that has been mentioned in another thread.
Jason
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2012, 09:24:46 PM »

Do you really not understand why people get upset with you? And then to threaten bannings? Sheesh.

I didn't threaten to ban anyone and wasn't even thinking of banning anyone. In fact, for someone who is apparently the "worst moderator ever", I'm pretty tolerant of people talking sh*t at me. But that's neither here nor there. I have nothing against anyone here at all. Discussions get heated. It's nothing personal. Let's keep it that way.

And the reason people get upset with me is because my input is just a bit more heated than most and I don't exactly have the most popular opinions. I love this band. I don't like all of the bullshit that has sprung up in the aftermath of this press release. It's bringing out such ugly and hateful sides in EVERYONE, myself included. People's toes are being stepped on. And the fanbase's reaction to this has done more to sour this reunion than anything the band members did. It's depressing, really.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2012, 09:28:36 PM »

The fanbase's reaction to this has done more to sour this reunion than anything the band members did. It's depressing, really.

I would think the reunion would have to have been pretty shoddy to let something like this kerfuffle change anything about it. It was an amazing summer, with amazing shows, and a decent record to boot. Nothing else matters or will be remembered. Not really.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2012, 09:29:29 PM »

It isn`t and despite Brian and Al maybe fancying doing a few more concerts I have yet to see any comments where they`ve said that they would like to do world tours every year.

You didn`t answer the basic questions I asked I notice. Because you couldn`t I presume.

the basic questions...
do i think it's realistic that Mike sit home and wait, or perform under a different moniker?

yes I do. he's had a good run calling himself The Beach Boys for the past decade-and-a-half but it's 2012 now. Brian, Al, and Dave are once again Beach Boys too. For Mike & Bruce to continue calling themselves The Beach Boys when Brian, Al, and Dave still want to be included is plain wrong. And false advertising.

do I think the Reunion Tour would have taken place if Mike had had an inkling that he & Bruce could no longer go out and call themselves The Beach Boys?

this is a moot point. Why should Mike be the one in control of the name? As I said, he had a good run but he does not own The Beach Boys name. He leases it. When the other Beach Boys want back in, especially the guy who conceived, wrote, and produced the majority of the band's music, they should have every right to be included. Nobody should have to answer to Mike. He's not the boss of The Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:33:19 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Jason
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2012, 09:29:56 PM »

The fanbase's reaction to this has done more to sour this reunion than anything the band members did. It's depressing, really.

I would think the reunion would have to have been pretty shoddy to let something like this kerfuffle change anything about it. It was an amazing summer, with amazing shows, and a decent record to boot. Nothing else matters or will be remembered. Not really.

I hope you're right on the latter count.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2012, 09:31:20 PM »

Same here.

I understand where everyone is coming from as I see both sides of the argument.  Mike simply doesn't hold these issues as a priority as many of us here.  The Beach Boys-lite band will continue on and it will have no effect on the second reunion whenever it happens.  We're all reacting very emotionally about this but when we get over this hump, all will return back to normalcy.  And I think Mike realizes this and isn't blinking an eye about any of this.  He knows it will all blow over and will be forgotten when they reunite again.  He isn't worried about the fans who hate his guts---he knows they're not showing up at his shows anyway.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2012, 09:33:43 PM »

I hope you're right on the latter count.

Lemme put it this way. If we have a really good boxed set, then next year a really good live album and tour doc, that's what people will remember. I do think Mike might want to do some sort of cleanup over the next day or two -- just to temper things -- but it's hard to know if this is just the press going nuts or a genuine band rift. If it's the latter, at least they finished the record this time.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2012, 09:36:33 PM »

Same here.

I understand where everyone is coming from as I see both sides of the argument.  Mike simply doesn't hold these issues as a priority as many of us here.  The Beach Boys-lite band will continue on and it will have no effect on the second reunion whenever it happens.  We're all reacting very emotionally about this but when we get over this hump, all will return back to normalcy.  And I think Mike realizes this and isn't blinking an eye about any of this.  He knows it will all blow over and will be forgotten when they reunite again.  He isn't worried about the fans who hate his guts---he knows they're not showing up at his shows anyway.

But I don't think anyone hates his guts. Not really. If you love the band, you have to love Mike. At least a little bit. You may be dismayed by various things he does, but the man has genuine talent and abilities.

One of the things I noticed at both of the shows I saw this summer: Mike made believers out of the Brian fans. People were very impressed.

If he had handled the transition more gracefully -- if it could have been handled more gracefully in the first place -- he well could have had quite a few new fans.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2012, 09:41:53 PM »

Same here.

But I don't think anyone hates his guts. Not really. If you love the band, you have to love Mike. At least a little bit. You may be dismayed by various things he does, but the man has genuine talent and abilities.

One of the things I noticed at both of the shows I saw this summer: Mike made believers out of the Brian fans. People were very impressed.

If he had handled the transition more gracefully -- if it could have been handled more gracefully in the first place -- he well could have had quite a few new fans.

I agree....I was always a Mike fan but this tour really sealed the deal for me.  New respect for the guy even despite this very awkward transition we're going through now.

But as far as people who "hate his guts"....I dunno....reading all the comments on other sites (FB and other links), we're seeing some very very despicable comments out there.   There's some awful things being said at the Stones board I visit about this story.  Mike is not exactly coming off as a saint here.  The way the media is spinning this, making it sound like Mike gave everyone the boot isn't helping either.  I know some people here on this board see things (somewhat) rationally but to Joe Public Mike is not everyone's favorite person right now.  And I think Mike knows that he really won't see these fans at shows unless Brian, Al and Dave are with him. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:45:49 PM by Justin » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »

Many people absolutely hate Mike, don't ever doubt it. Thank you, David Leaf (not that some of the anger toward Mike isn't warranted, but Jesus).

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »

I still have to say Mike is correct and the others, or their rep's, have blown things out of proportion. Mike has handled himself so well since I would have to say, the Reagan deal early last year. It would be a shame if it is all ruined in the last 10 days or so.

Come on Mike. Make a statement that gives us some hope that this b!tching is not how its going to end!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »

Funny enough I was in a conversation with someone the other night who labeled Mike as the most hated man in rock and roll, saying Mike was a person you love to hate.  And the guy claimed he was a big fan of the band--even though he really didn't have his facts straight and believed Mike only wrote the chorus to "Good Vibrations" and nothing else and  continues to tour with his Beach Boys Lite band.  So Joe Public is still working with rather outdated and misinformed views of Mike.  This new story surely isn't improving matters.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2012, 09:50:03 PM »

Why should Mike be the one in control of the name?

Because he's the only one qualified to run it, mentally and physically. But, most importantly, he's the only one who ever WANTED it.

Somebody referred to Brian's current stance as a "power play". That was a good analogy. But, frankly, it's a little off-putting. For years, decades, almost 45 of their 51 years, Brian wanted to have as little to do with The Beach Boys as possible. First, he didn't want to tour with them. Then he didn't want to produce them. Then he didn't want to write songs for them (due in large part to increasing illness, I know). And, finally, over the last 15 years, he didn't want to have anything to do with them. He made comments like he didn't want to work with them, didn't want to talk with them, didn't like them, didn't want to be in the band, said that his band was superior to The Beach Boys, and on and on.

Now, after what, a five month tour, boy, has he changed his tune. This Beach Boys thing IS PRETTY GOOD isn't it? What happened to that "Mike has his thing, The Beach Boys, and I have my thing, my solo career". If I was Mike, I would resent it.

And, having written all that, I'm still not sure that Brian even wants to continue touring as a Beach Boy. Razz I still need to hear more. Melinda!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2012, 09:50:41 PM »

wasn't Mike's big argument when Al wanted to tour as Beach Boys Family & Friends was that it "caused confusion" and the fans were not getting what they paid to see? isn't that precisely what going back to calling Mike & Bruce's band The Beach Boys does now?

you can't have it both ways Michael.

Mike is the only one qualified, mentally and physically?  LOL
You have seen his R'n'R Hall of Fame induction speech haven't you? Just one example of Mike's mental "fitness".

He's the only one who ever WANTED The Beach Boys name??!!! Didn't Al try to use it and get sued and shot down? Mike has used bullying tactics ever since the early days to get what he wanted, including ownership of the band name.

there's a reason Brian has wanted little or nothing to do with The Beach Boys since the late 60s. Can you guess his name?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:56:50 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2012, 09:56:34 PM »

Now, after what, a five month tour, boy, has he changed his tune. This Beach Boys thing IS PRETTY GOOD isn't it? What happened to that "Mike has his thing, The Beach Boys, and I have my thing, my solo career". If I was Mike, I would resent it.

I agree.  I'd imagine it must be very awkward for Mike to now open the door to everyone to permanently stay when it was mainly him (and Bruce) who's carried the Beach Boys banner for this long.  Considering the way they tour is significantly different than how this mega reunion tour went---I just don't see how Mike could have handled this any other way right now. 
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2012, 09:58:18 PM »

"Can't we all just... get along... can't we all ... get along..."

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx