gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:59:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's KIND of BW related...  (Read 2321 times)
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2006, 05:48:57 PM »

Eh, just something on Entertainment Weekly's Blog they run there daily...The reference and love is there...

My instant-message conversation with an impertinent young blogger not named Scott Brown -- and his inevitable mocking of his blogfather's love for all things Thriller:

ThaBlogfatha: So I just read that Michael Jackson is working on a new album…

NotScottBrown: Ah, yes. The tragedy is now multinational. Where is he recording again?

ThaBlogfatha: He's recording for a label owned by a Bahraini prince -- presumably a label that didn't exist before Mike said he needed some scratch to record an album.

NotScottBrown: What are you talking about? Son of King of Bahrain Records sounds like a totally legit outfit. I wonder if they offer a competitive dental plan.

ThaBlogfatha: I know, I know -- despite all the weirdness, i'm still hoping there's some miracle producer out there who can whip him into shape, get him back to his Thriller fighting weight. Am I naive to think that way?

NotScottBrown: Fighting weight? To tip the scales that much, you'd have to find parts of him that are long gone.

ThaBlogfatha: No plastic surgery jokes! We'll be sued.

NotScottBrown: No, no, sir. I speak of the man's soul, not his nose.

ThaBlogfatha: Well, he still has a soul…

NotScottBrown: Invincible argues otherwise.

ThaBlogfatha: I'm envisioning a moody concept album produced by, say, Brian Wilson.

NotScottBrown: Brian Wilson?! Chaperoning Michael Jackson? Who's chaperoning Brian Wilson?

ThaBlogfatha: Brian Wilson is The Man.

NotScottBrown: Granted, Wilson staged a comeback. But he's lived a lot longer. Michael might have to go through the same thing, banish his various Dr. Landys, and break on through to the other side. Only then will we find out if any of his genius is intact.

ThaBlogfatha: And he needs to stop wearing those damn military uniforms!

NotScottBrown: Well, yes. Then there's that.

ThaBlogfatha: Maybe Elvis Costello knows what to do -- he's made more albums in as many genres than anyone i can think of.

NotScottBrown: As long as he doesn't reprogram Michael to yodel Costello-ishly...

ThaBlogfatha: Elvis doesn't yodel!

NotScottBrown: Oh, what do you call that soulful yak-bleat he does?

ThaBlogfatha: Don't mess with Elvis -- "Alison" seemed very deep when i was 13

NotScottBrown: I have not a leg to stand on. When I was 13, I was listening to some toxic cocktail of Billy Joel and Werid Al Yankovic. I have no taste.

ThaBlogfatha: Maybe Michael should stay away the touching of the sexy ladies in the music videos too -- it's just not his thing.

NotScottBrown: Well, I know malaise when I see it, and touching sexy ladies in music videos is definitely one of the symptoms.

ThaBlogfatha: Maybe he should do an album of dusty covers, like Rod Stewart!

NotScottBrown: Hmm, covers could work. The good news is this: Nothing is beneath him. He has hit rock bottom and jackhammered through to find fresh new hells.

ThaBlogfatha: Yet somehow he still occupies the sublevel of hell just above PopWatch HQ

NotScottBrown: Is that him I hear knock-knock-knockin' at our hatch door.

ThaBlogfatha: Ooo, what if he recorded a duet with the ghost of Mama Cass?

NotScottBrown: I don't think he eats ham. But that's a small obstacle.

ThaBlogfatha: Make your own kind of music, Michael! Actually, no, don't. That's what got us into this mess.

NotScottBrown: So, yes, let's get him back on track, so we can get back to the important business of making TomKat puns.

ThaBlogfatha: (sigh)

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 05:48:55 PM »

I wonder what a collaberation betweenst the two would sound like.

Does MJ write only the words to his songs? Or the music? General melody + lyrics?

I've never found an answer for that, and if it's both music and lyrics then he's a great songwriter.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 06:54:09 AM »

Oh, he writes at least SOME of the music, I've heard the demos.
Cabana Boy
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 07:14:15 AM »

Quote from: HeroesandVillains
I wonder what a collaberation betweenst the two would sound like.
I've imagined that, and it's beautiful. His voice is perfect for many a Brian ballad.
Put yer best MJ voice on and sing 'Warmth Of The Sun' with a 'Gone To Soon' kinda feel. Wow.

Does MJ write only the words to his songs? Or the music?
Both tend to be split between Mike and his collaborators.

he's a great songwriter.
Yeah!
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 09:25:40 AM »

Yeah Mike wrote basically everything for the "BAD" album. Quincy Jones mentioned in an interview he wanted Mike to write all the songs for the album, not including "Man In The Mirror", Mike wrote 40 songs for just that album. I love that album. I hope Mike's new release will be as good as his "Thriller" "Bad", etc. days

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 10:35:29 AM »

What instrument does he write the music with?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Cabana Boy
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 11:21:16 AM »

Piano.
I think a certain amount of the arrangement is heard in his head and translated, also. Sometimes that even seems to come first, as with the bass hook in 'Billie Jean'.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 11:24:11 AM »

Piano.
I think a certain amount of the arrangement is heard in his head and translated, also. Sometimes that even seems to come first, as with the bass hook in 'Billie Jean'.

Then he has talent. His songs, while I'm not too fond of them, are pop music triumphs.

Cabana Boy
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 11:36:05 AM »

Then he has talent. His songs, while I'm not too fond of them, are pop music triumphs.
It's actually pretty cool to hear Mike talk about *music*, particularly his own. The mostly sensationalist nature of the attention he receives tends to make those instances few and far between, and that's sad.
I'll await any new release with interest. 'Invincible' had some highs, for all the underwhelming reception it met with.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx