gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:08:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question on BRI and Corporate votes  (Read 19051 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2012, 01:35:21 PM »

Plus, finding out that you are out of the band by watching Mike, Bruce & David performing at the pre-Super Bowl party, could leave a foul taste in one's mouth. Bad blood was mounting way before the licensing agreement stuff took hold.

Yeah, it's all part of that big picture. As we've subsequently learned, the actual appearance at that show may have been a surprise, but Al already knew what was likely happening by that point.
I'm sure he had an inkling, but to have never have been officially told had to be a real kick in the nads to see it play out on TV first.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2012, 01:51:15 PM »

Plus, finding out that you are out of the band by watching Mike, Bruce & David performing at the pre-Super Bowl party, could leave a foul taste in one's mouth. Bad blood was mounting way before the licensing agreement stuff took hold.

Hmm, was David playing that show?  I know Dean Torrence was, as was Stamos and possibly even G. Campbell and they were billed not as the Beach Boys but as "America's Band".  FWIW, that appearance was not only news to Al, but also to Brian and Carl who watched on tv as well (with Carl passing less than a week later)

**Yep, should have checked 10452 to begin with.  America's Band,  A Tribute to The Beach Boys: M. Love (which begs the question--how do you make a tribute to yourself, but whatever), B. Johnston, D. Marks, D. Torrence, G. Campbell, J. Stamos.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:58:31 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2012, 02:26:09 PM »

Hmm, was David playing that show?  I know Dean Torrence was, as was Stamos and possibly even G. Campbell and they were billed not as the Beach Boys but as "America's Band".  FWIW, that appearance was not only news to Al, but also to Brian and Carl who watched on tv as well (with Carl passing less than a week later)

**Yep, should have checked 10452 to begin with.  America's Band,  A Tribute to The Beach Boys: M. Love (which begs the question--how do you make a tribute to yourself, but whatever), B. Johnston, D. Marks, D. Torrence, G. Campbell, J. Stamos.

I believe this comes from that appearance:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »

I believe this comes from that appearance:

yep, sure does.  Believe that would be Glen Campbell partially obscured by Love
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:35:18 PM by southbay » Logged

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »

What's that thing on Bruce Johnston's head? Kind of hair-like.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2012, 06:51:23 PM »

Hmm, was David playing that show?  I know Dean Torrence was, as was Stamos and possibly even G. Campbell and they were billed not as the Beach Boys but as "America's Band".  FWIW, that appearance was not only news to Al, but also to Brian and Carl who watched on tv as well (with Carl passing less than a week later)

**Yep, should have checked 10452 to begin with.  America's Band,  A Tribute to The Beach Boys: M. Love (which begs the question--how do you make a tribute to yourself, but whatever), B. Johnston, D. Marks, D. Torrence, G. Campbell, J. Stamos.

" A Tribute to the Beach Boys" or a "Tribute to California"? It was a Tribute to California not the Beach Boys.

Carl was easing Al out of the band in 1987? If it wasn't the Beach Boys then how could being left out of it mean Al was being left out of the Beach Boys? It wasn't a Beach Boys gig, Mike's ES or AB or whatever side-job band had played a Super Bowl related corporate gig that day or the night before or something. Carl and Brian weren't there for this non-Beach Boys appearance either were they being cut out of the band by themselves too?

I gotta quit revising this entry.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:37:11 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »

Was that the last time Bruce played the bass?? I'm not sure it's plugged in there but he's got it...
Nicko1234
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2012, 07:17:30 PM »

The SIP era really kicked off the 1990s feuding between Mike and Al.

I think the problems in the band had been going on for quite a while before that. Hence Al being essentially fired in the early 90s. If anything the SIP era seemed to temporarily improve things a little when they had meetings and Al did appear on the album.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2012, 11:21:20 AM »

" A Tribute to the Beach Boys" or a "Tribute to California"? It was a Tribute to California not the Beach Boys.

Carl was easing Al out of the band in 1987? If it wasn't the Beach Boys then how could being left out of it mean Al was being left out of the Beach Boys? It wasn't a Beach Boys gig, Mike's ES or AB or whatever side-job band had played a Super Bowl related corporate gig that day or the night before or something. Carl and Brian weren't there for this non-Beach Boys appearance either were they being cut out of the band by themselves too?

I think we all knew/know that that 1998 Super Bowl gig was not billed as "The Beach Boys." The whole issue of Al not being told was more symbolic of his being edged out of the band. Yes, it could have just been a side gig. But it's also just as possible that Mike wanted to book the BB's for that show, but didn't want to invite Al, and thus could not at that time call it "The Beach Boys." I'm sure a huge event like that would have much rather booked "The Beach Boys" than whatever that band was billed as.

If Mike and Al were on the outs at the time, I can't imagine Al not being at that gig and not being told about it had nothing to do with their being on the outs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2012, 11:26:10 AM »

The SIP era really kicked off the 1990s feuding between Mike and Al.

It is interesting that they did appear to start some sort of feuding or disagreements in the late 80's or early 90's. I've never read a great deal of particulars on why this is, or how it started.

I recall that Al apparently voiced his displeasure with things like the cheerleaders, and I vaguely recall him saying in a later interview that he had commented negatively about the cheerleaders in a previous interview and had apparently caught s*** for it.

There is the interview with Mike in the SIP era where he talks about Al being "negative" and holding onto old issues/grudges, but we still didn't get many particulars.

There is also the issue of what I've heard is a bout of tinnitus that Al suffered from around this time, which can make people very irritable and moody.

I think by the 1997 timeframe, the main issue at hand was the business issues surrounding production of BB shows. That's what ultimately lead to the parting apparently.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »

Was that the last time Bruce played the bass?? I'm not sure it's plugged in there but he's got it...

There's a thread about it. Don't know the title but try the search function.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »

well take it up with AGD...the Bellagio site has the appearance credited to "America's Band, A Tribute to the Beach Boys." I honestly do not have independent recollection of the proper billing of that infamous act

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »

Actually I believe it was "A Salute to California" featuring "America's Band". Something like that.

And if this was Al being edged out of the BBs, wouldn't it be Carl edging him out in 1987? Did Al even participate in Mike's side band in those days. Mike might have been edging Al out of his side band but if not being there is being edged out of the BB band then who was edging out Brian and Carl? Al, Brian and Carl weren't there but together they constituted a majority in BRI.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:33:44 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »

Actually I believe it was "A Salute to California" featuring "America's Band". Something like that.

And if this was Al being edged out of the BBs, wouldn't it be Carl edging him out in 1987? Did Al even participate in Mike's side band in those days. Mike might have been edging Al out of his side band but if not being there is being edged out of the BB band then who was edging out Brian and Carl? Al, Brian and Carl weren't there but together they constituted a majority in BRI.

I don't think the Super Bowl gig in 1998 is a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It's just another bit of evidence of Mike and Al splintering. As for Al being edged out in 1987, or 1990, or 1997, it sounds like Carl did not actively pursue any such plan, but may have at certain points been passive about it, sometimes to Al's detrement. It certainly sounds like Al and Carl disagreed on Carl being passive about the re-arranging of the tour production situation.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2012, 06:37:58 PM »

The NFL site ( http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history/entertainment )   lists it as >> Salute to California with the Beach Boys <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »

The NFL site ( http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history/entertainment )   lists it as >> Salute to California with the Beach Boys <<

This was the reason I brought this up. Many years ago, Al mentioned this show as the first time he found out that he was no longer a part of the touring band. What a way to find out.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »

OK, but I don't remember that group being called the BBs [it wasn't the BBs after all] but I can't find any video of it so......

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »

OK, but I don't remember that group being called the BBs [it wasn't the BBs after all] but I can't find any video of it so......

I don't think it's that difficult of a theoretical scenario/concept to grasp: Mike played the show with his band, largely made of the Beach Boys touring band, minus Al. If Mike had used that same lineup for a show in 1999, he would have called it "The Beach Boys." If he could have called it "The Beach Boys" in 1998, he would have, and would have done it without Al.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:24:02 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »

This isn't theoretical, it was a real event in 1987 and the group in the salute doesn't represent the BBs in 1987. Mike wasn't in control of the band. He could no more leave Al out of the Beach Boys then Al could leave Mike out of the Beach Boys in 1987. What about Carl and Brian, are we also theorizing that Mike had the power to leave them out of an event and still call it the BBs?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2012, 07:27:50 PM »

This isn't theoretical, it was a real event in 1987 and the group in the salute doesn't represent the BBs in 1987. Mike wasn't in control of the band. He could no more leave Al out of the Beach Boys then Al could leave Mike out of the Beach Boys in 1987. What about Carl and Brian, are we also theorizing that Mike had the power to leave them out of an event and still call it the BBs?

I'm kind of confused, as I'm  not sure what happened in 1987 that is applicable to the 1998 Super Bowl show or anything in this discussion.

In 1998, Mike left Al out, and simply couldn't call it "The Beach Boys" yet. As I said, had he done that gig in 1999 with the same lineup, he could and I believe would have called it "The Beach Boys." Again, that gig was more of a symptom of their problems than the cause of anything.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »

Maybe I'm confused, I thought the Al-less event at a Super Bowl they were discussing was in 1987. Was that 1998?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2012, 07:59:24 PM »

Yep, I'm confabulating two events. In 1998 it was "A celebration of music and history of California. Performances by The Fifth Dimension, Lee Greenwood and members of the Beach Boys. Phil Hartman narrated the show".

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=7168.30;wap2

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2012, 09:44:52 AM »

Yep, I'm confabulating two events. In 1998 it was "A celebration of music and history of California. Performances by The Fifth Dimension, Lee Greenwood and members of the Beach Boys. Phil Hartman narrated the show".

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=7168.30;wap2

Yeah, I was just about to post my confusion over the 1987 references as well. In 1987 the Beach Boys played the Super Bowl pre game show as well ( as well as a nationally televised special the night before).  Both the 1987 and 1998 Super Bowls were played in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.  The 1987 performance featured Mike, Brian, Carl, Al and Bruce and was billed as The Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:46:56 AM by southbay » Logged

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2012, 03:42:26 PM »

Yep, goofed. Just apply the same points to the 1998 Super Bowl.

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2012, 11:13:19 PM »

I have to say, I think AGD is way off the mark here.

Fans are unhappy because, at least as it is popularly depicted, Brian, Al and Dave are being excluded from the band they helped create. This is no little matter, and it doesn't matter what the behind the scenes facts are. It matters how it looks, and it looks like Mike behaving -- once again -- like his most negative caricatures.

As I've said in another thread, my suspicion is that Al, Brian and Dave are simply peeved because of the press release coming out before the U.K. appearances, and because they (likely) haven't gotten a firm commitment from Mike to do more full-lineup work in the future. They're not actively working (as far as we know) to keep him from playing the October dates. They just don't want the big show, the one that received raves across the country, to be shelved permanently.

And why would anyone want that? This reunion made Brian decide he wants to be a Beach Boy again.

Shouldn't that count for something?

Well said! The October dates were known of for quite some time. Al and Brian (and/or their "people") didn't start making a fuss about things until after the semi-press release. That tells me that, as you say, they had accepted Mike was doing some gigs in October, and that perhaps that press release in their minds seemed a bit more assertive in the old lineup being the lineup going forward for the forseeable future.

I think the biggest party to blame here is the clueless media. But after that, yeah, it's Mike Love.  Not because he wants to keep touring with Bruce (everybody already knew that), but because of the hamfisted, clueless nature of the press release.  I'm not anti-Mike, and I'm aware that doing so is seen as blasphemous by some, but sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx