gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680717 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 03:39:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Our Team  (Read 10208 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »

What happened to this song?

There was that great half-hour documentary on the making of the MIU Album which was called "Our Team".

One of the main highlights of the special is the BBs recording the song "Our Team".

It seems that at one point this "Our Team" song was highly regarded by The BB's. I feel like it's a catchy song, and actually succeeds in mixing the early 60's style with what was the current sonic landscape of '77/'78. Possibly the hit they needed at the time.

Is there any evidence that the MIU album was to be titled "Our Team" at some point?

What happened? And do you think it was a good decision to scrap it?
Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 02:35:37 PM »

My wife says the opening line is very me:

We look like we know what we're doing When they ask us to play  LOL

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 02:37:22 PM »

I really like the song. I can see most serious fans hating it, though. Brian's solo lines are great. and the banjo is pretty cool. and the crowd noises.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 04:11:06 PM »

"Our Team" wasn't good enough to be a single, but I still think it should've been the closing track on MIU, coming right after "Winds Of Change".
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »

No way, "Our Team" should've been the opener and worked into the album like "Lucky Old Sun" was on Brian's solo album.  Imagine a symphonic arrangement based on the flute melody fading in and then out after "Pitter Patter", and an intricate chorale arrangement of the chorus melody coming in after "Winds of Change". The album instantly goes from 5/10 to at least 7 or 8/10.
MBE
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 05:58:06 PM »

I wouldn't call Our Team a stone classic, but being an upbeat group oriented song it is surprising that it was axed for lesser faire.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 08:09:05 PM »

I like the song, but I don't think it's fits MIU. It's a little looser than those other cuts. It belongs SOMEWHERE, just not sure where.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »

It is a little pile of goofy crap. Love it. Since the California Feeling bootleg.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 11:45:49 PM »

It's such a catchy song. First time i heard it was on the GV boxset. The piano is great, and I love Al's and Dennis' vocals. With the exception of My Diane, it's vastly superior to anything on MIU and i'm glad it was left off the album as it doesn't deserve the taint by association. Wouldn't nice to have seen it released however, although i can't really see it fitting anywhere on L.A.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 03:16:01 AM »

No way, "Our Team" should've been the opener and worked into the album like "Lucky Old Sun" was on Brian's solo album.  Imagine a symphonic arrangement based on the flute melody fading in and then out after "Pitter Patter", and an intricate chorale arrangement of the chorus melody coming in after "Winds of Change". The album instantly goes from 5/10 to at least 7 or 8/10.

That would be hideous. I think the whole Smile being finished, really shitly debacle has warped Beach Boys fans. One thing they never were, is pretentious.

As for 'Our Team'...I absolutely love it. If it'd been on MIU (don't care where really) it'd have been one of the two standouts along with My Diane. They were absolutely NUTS to scrap it. It's also got a much better production/mix than anything else on the record.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 03:44:49 AM »

Really don't like it.

Honk! Honk!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 05:00:11 AM »

Glad to see this underrated gem getting some love. It's such a tight record. True Beach Boys - in the late 70's.

With the exception of My Diane, it's vastly superior to anything on MIU and i'm glad it was left off the album as it doesn't deserve the taint by association.

Interesting point. I think I agree with that. As a one off single it could've been great. I just find it odd that they named the "Making Of" special after the song, and made the recording session footage a major part of the special. I guess title wise it fits better than say, "Hey Little Tomboy: The Making Of MIU" but they must have intended on using it at the time. Question exists: is there any reason why this track was pulled, over (as Mike Eder said) several inferior songs? Maybe because of the lack of Mike Love?

I love Al's and Dennis' vocals.

You think it's Dennis? At times it sounds like Brian singing those lines. But it almost sounds a little too deep and sad, and maybe too uncharacteristic to be him. Then again, the vibrato heard on those lines seems to be vintage BW.
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 05:29:10 AM »

I like the song, but I don't think it's fits MIU. It's a little looser than those other cuts. It belongs SOMEWHERE, just not sure where.

Wasn't there an idea for a sports album at one point (or two?) That, and "It's Trying to Say" would fit nicely on something like that!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 07:05:00 AM »

Can't see it on MIU (or any Beach Boys album that doesn't suck!).

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 09:52:51 AM »

I have to say I don't really like it; I mean, i don't hate it, either, but it grates on me in a big way. I am surprised to see so much love for it, for me the melody isn't anything great and the falsetto is too screechy and hurts my ears.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 01:07:52 PM »

Wasn't there an idea for a sports album at one point (or two?) That, and "It's Trying to Say" would fit nicely on something like that!

Brian also cut the tracks Bowling and Basketball in '78 at the tail end of the MIU sessions. In fact, somewhere in my mess known as the attic, I have a '78 taped phone interview with Brian where he specifically mentions just recording Bowling. Thus, I have to admit to always being intrigued by these yet unheard sports ditties -- to go along with Our Team, Baseball, etc.

I'm not expecting fully fleshed-out masterpieces, but you never know... Smiley
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 01:18:50 PM »

It's supposed to be quite the funny track:

The boys all like to go bowlin'
They really get those pins to rollin'
Denny bums smokes from other bowlers
And hides 'em from Landy's controllers

SMASH! I got a strike
Oooh, take that Mike (Mike: "Hey, man...")
'Bout to get a turkey!
This coffee's got me feelin' perky!

Al can never find shoes that fit
He's so short he should just quit
He can only throw a ten pound ball
Be careful Al and try not to fall!

GOSH! I got a spare
And maaannn, hear comes Bruce the Bear
He's been outplayin' Carl
It's enough to make a grown man snarl

Yeah, bowlin'
Yeah, bowlin'
Yeeeaaaahhhh, bowlin'

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:20:00 PM by Murry » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 01:49:19 PM »

Love it too. Kind of fits with the health kick/sports songs from late 70s for me: Our Team, It's Trying To Say, life is for living/hey Little Tomboy (ok tenuous but there is 1 baseball reference) and match point of our love. Maybe chuck the americathon one in with the cycling. Stretching it a bit here ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 12:45:57 AM »

The piano is great, and I love Al's and Dennis' vocals.

is that Dennis (the girls in the stands and all of our fans) ? Sounds like Brian to me.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 02:17:00 AM »

is that Dennis (the girls in the stands and all of our fans) ? Sounds like Brian to me.

Really? I'd always thought it was Dennis. Does anyone know for certain either way?
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 02:36:20 AM »

Really? I'd always thought it was Dennis. Does anyone know for certain either way?

I always thought Dennis too, but I think it's Brian. Check the vocal credits list.

Didn't Dennis not even go to MIU?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 03:04:33 AM »

it sounds just like 15 Big Ones Brian to me.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 04:04:00 AM »

It's Brian-you actually see some footage of them recording it at the end of the Our Team documentary. As noted-Dennis was pretty much absent from MIU-he came and drummed on one track for a day but that was it.  He recorded his vocal for My Diane in Seattle while on tour.  Carl was pretty much absent too-he was only at MIU about three days.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 05:37:35 AM »

It's Brian-you actually see some footage of them recording it at the end of the Our Team documentary. As noted-Dennis was pretty much absent from MIU-he came and drummed on one track for a day but that was it.  He recorded his vocal for My Diane in Seattle while on tour.  Carl was pretty much absent too-he was only at MIU about three days.

Hence why MIU is utterly appalling...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 06:30:15 AM »

As Ian confirmed, it's Dennis.
Can't understand the love for this song. Quite awful imo, though it has some nice melody parts here and there.
Isn't it credited to all members? So Dennis did contribute something to it. Or was it just done that way to go along with the "team-spirit" and was in fact only written by Brian and whoever else?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx