gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 04:43:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deafness and Brian's Genius  (Read 2196 times)
Razvan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2012, 08:05:41 AM »

Just like our hands, the right ear is connected to the left brain hemisphere (logic, language), while the left is connected to the right hemisphere (visuals, music, harmony). Since Brian relies on his left ear, do you think this could have played a role in his musical genius? I wonder if listening to music with only the left ear can develop people's musical skills.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:06:40 AM by Razvan » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »

wh
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »

Gonna go jam a screwdriver into my right ear. I'll be back in a few months to let you know how things went. Leaving this page open, as if something horrible happens (death, mental retardation, writing songs that sound like Korn instead) my family can view this page and see to it that you were held accountable for this.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Razvan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 12:15:54 PM »

Gonna go jam a screwdriver into my right ear. I'll be back in a few months to let you know how things went. Leaving this page open, as if something horrible happens (death, mental retardation, writing songs that sound like Korn instead) my family can view this page and see to it that you were held accountable for this.

Or you could use only one earbud. Yup, definitely go for the earbud.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 11:26:22 AM »

Too late, I iiidfjjjjfj a9sj J(IKDooododpdpogihj4039JRG(Jj9g9jje993333333333333333333333333333333333333

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SunBurn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:40:17 AM »

Over the last few days, a very bad head cold left me virtually deaf in one ear for a (mercifully short!) period of time.

First of all, I would say this is a more serious handicap than many realize, because you can hear sounds but you don't know their point of origin. Imagine hearing gun shots and having no idea in what direction they are coming from!

I was listening to music at one point during this spell, and I thought about BW, because without the benefit of spatial hearing, the quality of the sounds took on a more prominent role. For instance, I felt like I was perceiving the pitches and their relationships (i.e. harmonic content) more clearly than i would with two ears. The right brain thing is an interesting hypothesis, but i would definitely say that hearing out of only one ear invites the brain to perceive qualities of sound more acutely than it would otherwise, in the same way (albeit less dramatically!) that the brain is able to hear more clearly when deprived of sight.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 10:46:38 AM »

Imagine hearing gun shots and having no idea in what direction they are coming from!

I'm from LA originally, so I know that experience quite well.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 06:33:49 AM »

John Lennon was known for using a single headphone while recording his Beatles vocals, but that may actually have had more to do with the desire to hear his own voice more clearly.

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx