gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:12:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alan Boyd Lecture  (Read 41590 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 06:22:13 PM »

No he did not unfortunately

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 06:39:20 PM »

Thanks much, Punkinhead, for supplying even more detail. Perhaps one day Alan will write a book about all this...it would certainly be right up at the top of the shelf in an ever-growing collection of top-notch books about the BB's.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 03:09:13 AM »

Thanks for sharing, punkinhead!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 07:25:06 AM »

no problem, i just wished something like this happened all the time so I could do little reports like these.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 08:05:19 AM »

Thanks for the report(s), punkinhead! Reading it I felt excited and envious at the same time. Must have been a singular experience.

P.S. Never heard (of) "I'll Always Love You"... or is it on some bootleg and I just can't remember?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2012, 08:21:27 AM »

Sounds like a great class.

More pieces of SMiLE found? Drool!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 03:34:42 PM »

Thanks for your report punkinhead!

And the Smile mystery goes on....  3D

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »

Sounds INCREDIBLE!

Thanks for the synopsis. I get the feeling a lot of material still remains unheard

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »

Smile was a time where Brian went over the edge and never came back, Mike felt that he lost his friend and cousin. 

First off, the whole "Mike says he lost a friend and cousin" during the SMiLE era, what did Alan mean by this? They wrote most of Wild Honey together, so their relationship must have been repaired. Can you expound upon this comment?

Acetates and test edits of putting H&V and Vegetables together found in the vaults. Dennis Wolf from Capitol, asking to fade the songs and “those songs are really weird.”  Marketing for Nov in 2011 was more sensible.

Any more info on this? Why weren't more acetate/test mixes put on TSS? Or were they? And about Dennis Wolfe, he seemed like he "got" what the project was about, reading his thing in the box set and seeing his interview. Are you saying he thought the stuff was really weird in a bad way? And what's this about about fading the songs? Like it was his idea not to really have the songs strung together in this one, unlike BWPS? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but explain more if you can.

Barnyard was intended for H&V. Discusses the demo of H&V/I;m in Great Shape/Barnyard
Barnyard Billy was to be part of I’m in Great Shape in H&V. In the Cantina replaces Barnyard.

So "Barnyard" was always just intended for "Heroes And Villains"? Does that mean once it was replaced by the cantina section, it was gone? That would poke a hole in the whole "Barnyard Suite" consisting of "I'm In Great Shape", "Barnyard", "The Old Master Painter", and "You Are My Sunshine".

And Barnyard Billy wasn't an off-the-cuff reference by Brian? Now that is interesting? Was this just an offhand comment by Alan? Did he explain this anymore? Would that mean there would have been more lyrics for "I'm In Great Shape"? And I'm still not sure this answers much about what the separate "I'm In Great Shape" track was supposed to be.

A couple of newer pieces Smile have came up since the release of TSS.

I have to imagine that if they are in any way revelatory, they will be on Made In California.

After 68, Carl would finish Brian’s work.

Very interesting. I mean, we kinda already knew this. Then again, there were many other great artists that needed help to complete their stuff, so I don't think that says anything bad about Brian at all.

But anyways, thanks so much for that report, punkinhead. Greatly appreciated.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2012, 07:06:22 PM »

Thanks for the report(s), punkinhead! Reading it I felt excited and envious at the same time. Must have been a singular experience.

P.S. Never heard (of) "I'll Always Love You"... or is it on some bootleg and I just can't remember?

This does not circulate. It's a Barry Mann written tune with a Carl vocal dating from the Keepin' The Summer Alive sessions. A few members of this board have heard and commented on it.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 09:03:53 PM »

And Barnyard Billy wasn't an off-the-cuff reference by Brian? Now that is interesting?

I've always found it interesting that a) there were lyrics supposed to be sung along the piano melody line in "Barnyard" and b) the guitar line has the same number of notes as the line "Barnyard Billy loves his chicken". Could be just coincidence, but it would work if that lyric was sung to the guitar line melody.

And I'm still not sure this answers much about what the separate "I'm In Great Shape" track was supposed to be.

I'm sure it doesn't answer anything about that.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 04:08:55 AM »

Nice one, Punkinhead!!! Smiley

Many thanks for this piece alone - "He PLAYED: pieces of Cabinessence, existed on some mix tapes instrumental beginning, Who Ran the Iron Horse vocals included. straight into instrumental Grand Coolie Dam, into Over and Over the Crow Cries with vocals. MISSING – Multi-track, add vocals, dub those down, add more vocals. No more isolated lead vocal.  pieced together with Pro-tools" - which might answer a few q's a few peeps had about the make-up of the version presented on TSS.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 08:37:26 AM »

Smile was a time where Brian went over the edge and never came back, Mike felt that he lost his friend and cousin. 

First off, the whole "Mike says he lost a friend and cousin" during the SMiLE era, what did Alan mean by this? They wrote most of Wild Honey together, so their relationship must have been repaired. Can you expound upon this comment?

Their relationship may have been repaired, but Mike felt like Brian has never been the same person that he grew up with.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »

Thanks to everyone, it was a pleasure to take part in! And if it had happened anywhere else to anyone on here, I'd be jealous too.

This was my first time meeting hardcore fans who knew their stuff, I've never met anyone in person like that so it was a huge step for me as a fan.
One, to be able to verbally talk about the type of stuff no one else knows about as a typical fan and two, to meet someone "in the know" that can answer a lot of my questions, just like that! It was a dream come true.

Also, about the class, the prof had a slideshow set up for the rest of the semester on what to discuss and it was basically every album cover from Smile to BWPS, even solo stuff! I kinda wish I could be there for the later discussions. Also, Alan had given an external harddrive to the prof to play other goodies for the class, I drooled as he handed off to him, I have no idea what was on it.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 01:24:10 AM »

During the Carl section, do you mean y'all heard a full (lead and backgrounds) vocals-only mix of "Time To Get Alone" and also "Til I Die"? If so, those had better be on that box set, hooboy!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 01:26:16 AM »

A couple of newer pieces Smile have came up since the release of TSS.

This always happens, doesn't it? Didn't they find a mono mix of Trombone Dixie not long after the PS box was released? Not blaming Alan & Mark, just saying..... dammit  Grin

I wonder if they were from bootleggers suddenly seeing a copy of Smile in the shops and realising the jig was up?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »

During the Carl section, do you mean y'all heard a full (lead and backgrounds) vocals-only mix of "Time To Get Alone" and also "Til I Die"? If so, those had better be on that box set, hooboy!
I know it was just the lead vocal on Til I Die...TTGA on the other hand, i can't remember, I know it sounded really familiar to what I have heard (passed around here and there), so it was prolly all the vocals, not just his.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2012, 11:18:10 PM »

The Look vox are from SU '71? Hah!

I have to imagine that if they are in any way revelatory, they will be on Made In California.
Even if they are revelatory, I can't foresee new SMiLE stuff coming out on an official release.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 07:16:58 AM »

The Look vox are from SU '71? Hah!

Even if they are revelatory, I can't foresee new SMiLE stuff coming out on an official release.

Why wouldn't they release it? Even non-hardcore Beach Boys fans would be excited that another piece of unreleased SMiLE material has surfaced. And I'm sure Capitol wants to get people interested in the box set. So that would probably mean that they would love to use another piece of SMiLE stuff to convince people to buy the set.
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2012, 11:41:53 AM »

[/quote]

Why not?..That would be a tremendously stupid thing to do, since they would likely sell at least one copy each of the "Made In California" box set to almost everyone who bought SMiLE.

IMHO, of course  Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2012, 12:22:14 PM »

Why not?..That would be a tremendously stupid thing to do, since they would likely sell at least one copy each of the "Made In California" box set to almost everyone who bought SMiLE.

IMHO, of course  Smiley
[/quote]
true dat!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »

So "Barnyard" was always just intended for "Heroes And Villains"? Does that mean once it was replaced by the cantina section, it was gone? That would poke a hole in the whole "Barnyard Suite" consisting of "I'm In Great Shape", "Barnyard", "The Old Master Painter", and "You Are My Sunshine".

Not to me.  The Cantina section replaces the Barnyard section in "Heroes And Villains" when/so Brian moved/made it into it's own song ("I'm In Great Shape"/"The Barnyard Suite").  I honestly see nothing that pokes a hole in in that theory.  If anything, it just explains how and why those sections found their new home on the album, outside of Brian's original idea.

Opps.  I don't know what was going on there.  I guess I read the post above and got myself turned around.  I've never heard the above theory be seriously pursued.  My belief regarding the handwritten tracklist has always been:
"The Old Master Painter" = "The Old Master Painter (The Barnyard Suite)" = Barnyard/TOMP/YAMS/Barnshine fade
"I'm In Great Shape" = IIGS/I Wanna Be Around (Friday Night)/Workshop

As you were.....
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:12:47 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2012, 12:43:58 PM »

Seems like there's always something found after a major release. A part or snippet or alternate/unreleased take or vocal/instrumental track on a song or two. Don't remember it happening on the Pet Sounds box where something was discovered after the fact - it's unfortunate timing but pretty much unavoidable I guess. At least they reviewed the Durrie Parks stuff and other rumored acetates and tapes and pretty much covered as much ground as they could. Sounds like Boyd and Linett really worked their asses off. A labor of love. But I gather Brian didn't give any feedback on their mixes one way or the other? Either during or after they were done? Is that true??

Too bad about the Wild Honey album. That's unfortunate. They were able to get all of Smiley right, but not Wild Honey. Damn! And the vocal tracks to Good Vibrations enabling a true stereo which remain MIA....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2012, 12:50:37 PM »

Seems like there's always something found after a major release. A part or snippet or alternate/unreleased take or vocal/instrumental track on a song or two. Don't remember it happening on the Pet Sounds box where something was discovered after the fact - it's unfortunate timing but pretty much unavoidable I guess. At least they reviewed the Durrie Parks stuff and other rumored acetates and tapes and pretty much covered as much ground as they could. Sounds like Boyd and Linett really worked their asses off. A labor of love. But I gather Brian didn't give any feedback on their mixes one way or the other? Either during or after they were done? Is that true??

Too bad about the Wild Honey album. That's unfortunate. They were able to get all of Smiley right, but not Wild Honey. Damn! And the vocal tracks to Good Vibrations enabling a true stereo which remain MIA....
Brian put his FULL trust into Alan/Mark to make their mix and he put his stamp of approval on it.
Really, when Brian came down to hear some of it, he was more concerned about going out to Chinese for lunch  Wink   (CLASSIC BRIAN-ISM)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2012, 01:41:12 PM »

sdj, tr and ph:

There are many reasons I don't think it would come out.

One, there may be some clearance issues that would prevent a new SMiLE piece from coming out. This may be speculation, but it took a lot of navigation between the parties to get the box out. That may be too much to re-navigate for one or two tracks (and the resources used to navigate may no longer be there). Think about how long it took just to get these stereo re-releases out. The tunes, by all accounts, had been completed some time ago and the perfect time to re-release would've been on the 50th Ann, not a year later.

Two, what is revelatory to me and you may not be revelatory to Capitol/Brother Records, who has a finite number of releases on its schedule and wouldn't see one or two tracks as enough to move the needle on a new release. Think about how much "high demand" stuff is in the vaults collecting dust. I know I'd pay a pretty penny to see Live Again, California Feelin' and multiple others.

Three, it hasn't been said what was discovered or anything about its quality. It could be a small fragment, a different edit, etc. It could be in terrible quality and unreleasable. The likelihood of something being discovered from a missing tape seems less likely than the discovery of an old acetate or something like that.

Speaking of sources, was it confirmed that Alan/Mark reviewed the DP acetates and other rumored sources mentioned in Mikie's post? I'd guess there's stuff that wasn't since new stuff is being found.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:44:07 PM by andy » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx