gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:30:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grammy Museum Los Angeles 9/18/12  (Read 42543 times)
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »

Darn, I was looking forward to hearing "I Get Around" from this set. Maybe a recording will surface later on.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »

You are right. Whoa! Shocked

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/pop-rock/50-big-ones-greatest-hits-limited-edition/673003

On NZ itunes also. Just got the IIT single.
Pretty Funky, tell us about the single; how does it differ, in exact production details and overall quality, from the BBC you tube version we have nee living on. Please tell us it's "better." (if it is)

thanks
oldsurferdude
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »

Brian yawning during Kokomo !!  LOL

Looked more like he is trying to keep down his dinner! Grin
Right!  I wouldn't blame him at all for hurling-it's a sickening song! Roll Eyes
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »

You are right. Whoa! Shocked

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/pop-rock/50-big-ones-greatest-hits-limited-edition/673003

On NZ itunes also. Just got the IIT single.
Pretty Funky, tell us about the single; how does it differ, in exact production details and overall quality, from the BBC you tube version we have nee living on. Please tell us it's "better." (if it is)

thanks

Sorry Prof. I'm but a simple fan and hardly a techy but I have listened a couple of times each through my ipod and computer and it sounds great to my ears. Made for the radio for sure but a nice addition to, what is now the stripped down album version. Thank god the 'going steady' line has gone. That grated for me.

Also the samples for the '50' sound fantastic and clean. 'Darlin' has already been mentioned. I am tossing up whether to get the CD for the bonus cards etc.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »

And here is the video!

http://youtu.be/MudGEyCi2Yk

The video's been set as private  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2012, 01:28:15 PM »

Hey, that is very helpful. If it sounds good it is good. I look forward to hearing the song myself in 2 weeks. thank you for the reaction, and I look forward to hearing other people discuss the song too
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2012, 03:18:23 PM »

Anyone who've seen the Beach Boys exhibit care to write their opinion? As a museum curator, working on something like that would be a dream assignment and the short glimpses offered from the photos look as if there are some pretty interesting objects on display. So, what's featured besides what can be seen on the various shots and what do people who've seen it think?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2012, 05:00:29 AM »

Anyone who've seen the Beach Boys exhibit care to write their opinion? As a museum curator, working on something like that would be a dream assignment and the short glimpses offered from the photos look as if there are some pretty interesting objects on display. So, what's featured besides what can be seen on the various shots and what do people who've seen it think?

Thanks for that post ! It really would be neat to hear more about the exhibit, I agree.

I tried to see what Google would come up when I search for some pictures. Unfortunately no of the actual exhibit came up except with the Beach Boys standing before them. Anyway, here's what I found (that hopefully wasn't posted before):

Be sure to open this in a new window. It's very big.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2012, 07:30:59 AM »

This exhibit should be a traveling show, so everyone everywhere has a chance to see it! 
That said, I'd think the photos would probably be the coolest part. along with Brian's letter, and Dennis' snare drum. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2012, 12:51:08 PM »

the professor will go this week, by the weekend at the latest, and write up a report for those of you outside LA.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »

Here's a photo of Carl's 12-string Gibson that's used in the exhibit:

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »

Speaking of the Grammy exhibit, one of the articles posted in another thread mentioned that the exhibit has...a Paul McCartney signed copy of Sgt. Pepper's...does anyone have any idea why in the world this would be so?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2012, 05:38:03 PM »

Speaking of the Grammy exhibit, one of the articles posted in another thread mentioned that the exhibit has...a Paul McCartney signed copy of Sgt. Pepper's...does anyone have any idea why in the world this would be so?

It is so because there are people who only think the Beach Boys are legit due to a Beatle's endorsement of their artistic merit.  Including people who run the Grammy Museum.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2012, 06:31:01 PM »

It is so because there are people who only think the Beach Boys are legit due to a Beatle's endorsement of their artistic merit.  Including people who run the Grammy Museum.

Maybe because Paul said somewhere that Pepper was inspired by Pet Sounds....

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2012, 11:29:45 PM »

maybe it was Brian's copy?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2012, 02:29:15 AM »

No, it was a Pet Sounds copy signed by Paul and a Sgt. Pepper copy signed by Brian

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2012, 03:19:40 AM »

what? that doesn't even make sense.

but I guess nothing makes sense in the world of the Beach Boys.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2012, 06:38:52 AM »

the professor will go this week, by the weekend at the latest, and write up a report for those of you outside LA.

Great. Looking forward to reading your view on the exhibit. I'm curious to hear if it presents a sugarcoated story of 'America's band' or if it also digs deeper and adresses band conflicts, drug use etc in order to give a more balanced, truthful representation of the group's history...

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2012, 01:50:35 PM »

Great. Looking forward to reading your view on the exhibit. I'm curious to hear if it presents a sugarcoated story of 'America's band' or if it also digs deeper and adresses band conflicts, drug use etc in order to give a more balanced, truthful representation of the group's history...

I sure don't see that being there!  My impression is it's an exhibit to show the greatness of the band.
 Why present conflicts, drugs, anything that's negative? what happened, happened; if  people  want to know more they can dig that stuff up for themselves
Sheesh@!!  It's not about a sugarcoating. It's a display to show the greatness of America's greatest band ever.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2012, 02:47:28 PM »

I sure don't see that being there!  My impression is it's an exhibit to show the greatness of the band.
 Why present conflicts, drugs, anything that's negative? what happened, happened; if  people  want to know more they can dig that stuff up for themselves
Sheesh@!!  It's not about a sugarcoating. It's a display to show the greatness of America's greatest band ever.

I disagree - and mainly because the exhibit is at a museum (or at least something calling itself a museum - I've never been there) To me a museum exhibit would entail an attempt at presenting a thorough view on the group's history and not leaving out the, perhaps, less flattering elements of the story. Let's face it; those angles are just as important a part of what makes the Beach Boys unique as stating the obvious; how many hits they've had; how they defined the image of California youth and surf culture in song; how they toured all over the world etc. Let me put it in another way - if a new book came out that we're to represent the history of the Beach Boys but didn't touch upon more controversial topics and how this has affected the group, wouldn't you feel a bit dissapointed after reading it? I would - and I don't see why we shouldn't ask the same of an exhibit at a museum. ( the level of detail in an exhibit can/should of course never match a book, but that's a bit besides my point.

Obviously, with this being an exhibit / presentation of Beach Boys history officially endorsed by the group, it will probably downplay controversial topics such as band conflicts, drug use, mental problems etc. - I was just thinking that since the guys themselves have adressed such things before in interviews, in documentaries, books etc there might be a bit of that in the exhibit after all. I centainly think it would make the exhibit more interesting and true to group's history.

I work in the museum field for a living and if I was to develop an exhibit on the group, I wouldn't be afraid to touch upon such things as they could reveal angles on Beach Boys history that could be very interesting for the casual fan and those not knowing anything at all about the group's history. For instance, Brian's nervous breakdown and decision to quit touring during the 60s - on the face of it, this may seem like a negative angle, but it could just as well be another way of presenting the 'greatness of America's greatest band' as you put it. For the time it was an unheard-of and very brave decision - and it enabled Brian to take his music and production work to heights unheard of in the Pop music world. The breakdown itself also reveals the amount of pressure a hot group was under at that time with a release schedule that people nowadays would find out of this world. As for drug use, adressing that topic could be an interesting way of having museum guests understand the circumstances around Smile and why the music turned out the way it did & was ahead of its time etc. etc.
I'm just thowing off some random thoughts here and mainly to say that I don't see why you shouldn't be able to make a perfectly valid and respectful exhibit by adressing such things.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:05:18 PM by kwan_dk » Logged

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »

Personally, I'm outraged this wasn't included.

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2012, 09:04:51 AM »

Personally, I'm outraged this wasn't included.

That (and a whole lot more) will be in the Beach Boys exhibit to be curated by Nick Kent...  Evil
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »

Facebook:

- Jack Rieley
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2012, 07:29:10 PM »

How do you represent drug use in a museum exhibit?  Sugar cubes and blotter paper to represent LSD?  Reddiwhip cans to represent inhalant abuse?  Pills?  Powders?  Empty bottles of booze?  A 3D holographic diorama recreating an LSD trip?  Huh
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »

How do you represent drug use in a museum exhibit?  Sugar cubes and blotter paper to represent LSD?  Reddiwhip cans to represent inhalant abuse?  Pills?  Powders?  Empty bottles of booze?  A 3D holographic diorama recreating an LSD trip?

They'd need to take a cue from Lady Divine's Cavalcade of Perversions and have a tent with "actual junkies" consuming vats labeled DRUG or something.

"Step right up, folks - relive the horror of the 70s in slightly different shades of brown! The taste of bad coke and the smell of rancid hamburger debris will permeate your senses! Step right up, folks - see The True Story of The Beach Boys in a shocking, unflinching manner never before permitted! See actual surfers on drugs -- singing with increasingly rough voices that actually kinda suits certain kinds of material!"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:43:36 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx