gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:03:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grammy Museum Los Angeles 9/18/12  (Read 42426 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »

what's so mysterious about All I Wanna Do?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »

In advance, I tried to head off any possible confusion between "All I Want to Do" and "All I Wanna Do" that could have happened, which is why I specified "Sunflower" and it being a "Brian + Mike" song... but in the context of the evening, the question still fell flat Sad  I don't think they were confused between the 2 songs, I think they just literally have never had any reason to think of, or even listen to "All I Wanna Do" in 40 years, despite the band's supposed collective love for the Sunflower album as a whole.

Man, I wish this band loved their deep cuts as much as their fans do.

And that is hilarious about the O.C. Weekly mention of my question!

"All I Wanna Do" was mentioned the last time Mike was at the Grammy Museum (for the Ca. Saga show), and he sang a little bit of it there too.

This is true - and that was actually also me at the Cal Saga show who brought it up then too! I'd really hoped with the whole band there last night, we'd get a tidbit or 2 of info about the song. That song seems to be a mystery and I'd love to uncover some info about it.

LOL LOL

Nice going! As a huge fan of "All I wanna" I seriously appreciate that 

Sigh - thanks, I tried! It's infuriating as a big fan to have giant swaths of this band's history just ignored or brushed to the side... bummer that I picked too obscure a nugget to get some info on. However, I did run into Bruce earlier that evening in the hall, and got him to sing a couple of lines of "Don't Run Away"...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2012, 01:44:54 PM »

Nothing.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2012, 01:48:28 PM »

I guess I haven't seemed to find any bits of info on its inception - such as if it was specifically recorded for an album (I know it was on Sunflower, but hard to say if it was a bit of a one-off type of recording 20/20-style, or specifically intended as a song as part of a collection of songs)...

As well, to my ears, it sounds so different from any other BB songs from that period, and really seems to be a (wonderful) anomaly in their catalog. Seems like it was an attempt at a certain psychedelic proto-shoegaze direction that they never fully explored further (perhaps Feel Flows has a bit of that tripped out, psychedelic direction), but I've never really heard another Brian song like it.

The fact that it was a Brian-Mike song makes it all the more interesting. The fact that Mike sings a bit of falsetto on it makes it even more unique. The song just plain rules, and it's seemingly been completely ignored by the band. I feel that this direction, if more fully explored at the time, could have gotten the band some respect in the then-modern rock realm. As much as I love Sunflower, imagine a fully-formed, cohesive album with more songs like All I Wanna Do... perhaps that's a glimpse of what the band's output would've sounded like if SMiLE had been finished, and he had remained the main songwriter...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:55:39 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »

For starters, we know it's actually a Mike song that Brian helped expand upon. No idea who wrote what. Otherwise, it may just be another song they wrote like many other songs. There may not be much of a story to tell, I mean.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »

For starters, we know it's actually a Mike song that Brian helped expand upon. No idea who wrote what. Otherwise, it may just be another song they wrote like many other songs. There may not be much of a story to tell, I mean.

That's cool, and something I have not heard before - where did you get this info (about it starting off as a Mike song)?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:57:57 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 02:03:25 PM »

I guess I haven't seemed to find any bits of info on its inception - such as if it was specifically recorded for an album (I know it was on Sunflower, but hard to say if it was a bit of a one-off type of recording 20/20-style, or specifically intended as a song as part of a collection of songs)...

First, didn't Brian talk a bit about it in the booklet for Sunflower/Surf's Up?
And then you'd ask Stephen Desper. Maybe he has something to add.

The fact that Mike sings a bit of falsetto on it makes it even more unique.

I believe that is Bruce doing the falsetto (a gentle thought comes in m-y-y mi-i-i-ind). You can hear a different voice take over after Mike's "when I sit and close my eyes"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 02:06:19 PM »

If that's Bruce, it's Bruce doing a really good Mike impression.

It wouldn't surprise me if Mike had to record the falsetto part separate from the rest of the vocal take, but I'm pretty sure it's still him.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2012, 03:08:04 PM »

I believe that is Bruce doing the falsetto (a gentle thought comes in m-y-y mi-i-i-ind). You can hear a different voice take over after Mike's "when I sit and close my eyes"

There is definitely no vocal trading off there. That's all Mike.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2012, 03:20:18 PM »

First, didn't Brian talk a bit about it in the booklet for Sunflower/Surf's Up?
And then you'd ask Stephen Desper. Maybe he has something to add.

According to Timothy White's liner notes, he said that "it was a real nice one" and proceeded to sing part of the song.  He doesn't provide any information about the writing or recording of the song (or at least none that appears there).
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2012, 05:11:48 PM »

Did Brian seem recovered from his back problems?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2012, 07:07:57 PM »

It was an awesome event. The curator described it as the biggest night in Grammy Museum history, and the entire affair was conducted with the kind of respect towards the Beach Boys that any fan would appreciate. The exhibit is really tasteful and has some one-of-a-kind items that made the collector in me drool... a little. But the main attraction was that the guys themselves were there...and to mingle and chat with them is still a thrill because they are legends, and they created such lasting beauty with their songs. It still completely blows my mind how good they were...and are.

On this night the Beach Boys were personable with the fans and press, Brian seemed good. He seems happy to be IN HIS band again. The Q&A was hilarious with both Brian and David talking about past substance issues with candor, and Mike physically acting out what a drunken 14 year-old David looked like...all five got off funny one-liners at various points in the chat. It was relaxed and intimate. When Brian enthusiastically mentioned that he hoped to record another Beach Boys album in the months ahead, and Al pointedly said he wanted to keep the momentum gained this year moving forward as a group, to me Mike and Bruce's body language seemed just a little uncomfortable. Behind the scenes there was more talk from Al about wanting to keep the group together, and its obvious that Brian and Dave are loving what has happened with the reunion. Why would anyone not want to keep that chemistry intact?

The acoustic performance was excellent, and again natural and relaxed. I really think the spiritual element of the five of them together is a positive for Brian, like the fingers on a hand, it all works together instinctively. I'm talking about the whole range of things, from greeting the crowd, to chatting about themselves, to joking among themselves, to rehearsing, performing, and just making a sound together. Brian knows its right. He wants to explore it further. It would suck if he doesn't get the chance.

There were some notables in the audience like Micky Dolenz, Barbara Wilson, Dennis' sons Michael and Carl, Carl's sons Justin and Jonah and their mom Annie. Joe Thomas was there and was very accessible, i even talked to him about the fact that some fans prefer the album version of Isn't It Time to the new single mix.  Wink He took it well. Vicky Peterson of the Bangles was there (of course hanging with John Cowsill), Rodney Bingenheimer, Mark London, Harvey Kubernick and many other old L.A. friends. I even ran into Eddie Roach later in the night. In general the event had that energized and giddy feeling that something does when the balance of fan fueled excitement and VIP intimacy is just right. Cowsill, Scott Totten, Jeffrey Foskett and Darian Sahanaja lent their usual perfect support to the principals while playing music, and while doing all the other stuff that's required on a happening night like this one. It was a team effort and it was a home run.

I want to thank Howie Edelson and Paki Newell for giving me total access to the event, and to Dave Marks for offering me a place to crash for the night. I passed because I had to get home to my family for today's round of being a busy dad. But as I drove the three hours up the coast in the wee hours, i thought back to the earnest excitement I saw in Brian's eyes when he was talking about wanting to record more with these Beach Boys. He sees the potential for another chapter, and maybe if things fall into place again like they did this year, we might get one more shot of that Beach Boys bliss. If not, what a year, and what a gift this has been.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2012, 07:24:10 PM »

Thanks for that Jon! Awesome!!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:46:36 PM by 18thofMay » Logged

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »

Thank you guys for the reviews. Jon, that picture is so awesome. Especially the part where you're blocking Bruce hahaha.

I really love the Pendletone touch! But in another shirt-related matter, who let Mike and Dave where the same incredibly busy-patterned shirt?

Brian replied that he "would really like to record a rock n' roll album with the boys".

Brian's great Rock n' Roll album has overtaken Smile as the most anticipated Beach Boys album of all time.

When asked about their various solo ventures, Al stated he had no interest in that, "this is the band (pointing to the group)."  He stated that they plan on continuing on this configuration, or something to that effect.

Wow, shiesty, Al!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2012, 08:09:32 PM »

Beautiful write-ups, South Bay and Jon...much appreciated. Sounds like there is a lot of hope for more good things in the future.

And that's definitely a wonderful shot, Jon--you just command that spot on stage the way good ol' Jack Reiley used to back in the day!!!  Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2012, 08:36:27 PM »

When asked about their various solo ventures, Al stated he had no interest in that, "this is the band (pointing to the group)."  

But just in case it doesn't work out...

http://www.aljardine.com/booking.html
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »

Can someone tell me what Mike sees in Bruce or what the rest of the band does (as in Brian)?  The more I've seen and heard of Bruce since this reunion, the more of a negative presence he seems to be.  He even called the latest album, and by extension Brian's work, a bunt, even after claiming he hadn't heard the whole thing.  Add in his general extreme rudeness to fans at times and the fact he never really contributed much at all to the music and can't sing too well anymore on a consistent basis.  I don't get it.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2012, 10:42:38 PM »

It was an awesome event. The curator described it as the biggest night in Grammy Museum history, and the entire affair was conducted with the kind of respect towards the Beach Boys that any fan would appreciate. The exhibit is really tasteful and has some one-of-a-kind items that made the collector in me drool... a little. But the main attraction was that the guys themselves were there...and to mingle and chat with them is still a thrill because they are legends, and they created such lasting beauty with their songs. It still completely blows my mind how good they were...and are.

On this night the Beach Boys were personable with the fans and press, Brian seemed good. He seems happy to be IN HIS band again. The Q&A was hilarious with both Brian and David talking about past substance issues with candor, and Mike physically acting out what a drunken 14 year-old David looked like...all five got off funny one-liners at various points in the chat. It was relaxed and intimate. When Brian enthusiastically mentioned that he hoped to record another Beach Boys album in the months ahead, and Al pointedly said he wanted to keep the momentum gained this year moving forward as a group, to me Mike and Bruce's body language seemed just a little uncomfortable. Behind the scenes there was more talk from Al about wanting to keep the group together, and its obvious that Brian and Dave are loving what has happened with the reunion. Why would anyone not want to keep that chemistry intact?

The acoustic performance was excellent, and again natural and relaxed. I really think the spiritual element of the five of them together is a positive for Brian, like the fingers on a hand, it all works together instinctively. I'm talking about the whole range of things, from greeting the crowd, to chatting about themselves, to joking among themselves, to rehearsing, performing, and just making a sound together. Brian knows its right. He wants to explore it further. It would suck if he doesn't get the chance.

There were some notables in the audience like Micky Dolenz, Barbara Wilson, Dennis' sons Michael and Carl, Carl's sons Justin and Jonah and their mom Annie. Joe Thomas was there and was very accessible, i even talked to him about the fact that some fans prefer the album version of Isn't It Time to the new single mix.  Wink He took it well. Vicky Peterson of the Bangles was there (of course hanging with John Cowsill), Rodney Bingenheimer, Mark London, Harvey Kubernick and many other old L.A. friends. I even ran into Eddie Roach later in the night. In general the event had that energized and giddy feeling that something does when the balance of fan fueled excitement and VIP intimacy is just right. Cowsill, Scott Totten, Jeffrey Foskett and Darian Sahanaja lent their usual perfect support to the principals while playing music, and while doing all the other stuff that's required on a happening night like this one. It was a team effort and it was a home run.

I want to thank Howie Edelson and Paki Newell for giving me total access to the event, and to Dave Marks for offering me a place to crash for the night. I passed because I had to get home to my family for today's round of being a busy dad. But as I drove the three hours up the coast in the wee hours, i thought back to the earnest excitement I saw in Brian's eyes when he was talking about wanting to record more with these Beach Boys. He sees the potential for another chapter, and maybe if things fall into place again like they did this year, we might get one more shot of that Beach Boys bliss. If not, what a year, and what a gift this has been.

really great post, Jon ... your perspective and insight makes me remember why I still read this board !

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2012, 01:27:44 AM »

Can someone tell me what Mike sees in Bruce or what the rest of the band does (as in Brian)?  The more I've seen and heard of Bruce since this reunion, the more of a negative presence he seems to be.  He even called the latest album, and by extension Brian's work, a bunt, even after claiming he hadn't heard the whole thing.  Add in his general extreme rudeness to fans at times and the fact he never really contributed much at all to the music and can't sing too well anymore on a consistent basis.  I don't get it.

He does have fantastic legs.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2012, 01:38:21 AM »

He does have fantastic legs.
True. Plus, these days you need any half-legit Beach Boy you can get.  Wink He's been with them (and with Mike) for far too long.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2012, 04:04:33 AM »

Facebook:

There is definitely no vocal trading off there. That's all Mike.

Your opinion. I hear different. I've got no problem should I be wrong but right now I'm quite sure it's Bruce
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:56:12 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2012, 05:43:32 AM »

Beach Boys Wrap 50 Years As Questions Arise About Their 51st
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/legal-and-management/beach-boys-wrap-50-years-as-questions-arise-1007953922.story

The only thing certain about future releases from the reunited Beach Boys is a live album that Capitol will release in 2013.

and

In their acoustic set after the Q&A in front of an SRO crowd that included Monkee Mickey Dolenz, fabled L.A. disk jockey Rodney Bingenheimer, lyricist Joe Thomas and Beach Boys' family members, they performed five songs that will appear on both of the next Beach Boys compilations - "50th Anniversary Greatest Hits" and the two-CD "Greatest Hits: 50 Big Ones." The two collections will be released Oct. 9.

On Oct. 9, 12 remastered studio albums will be released with mono and stereo mixes. "It's really for the collectors market," EMI Music North America senior VP, catalogue, Jane Ventom told Billboard.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:46:24 AM by Jaco » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2012, 08:02:13 AM »

In their acoustic set after the Q&A in front of an SRO crowd that included Monkee Mickey Dolenz, fabled L.A. disk jockey Rodney Bingenheimer, lyricist Joe Thomas and Beach Boys' family members, they performed five songs that will appear on both of the next Beach Boys compilations - "50th Anniversary Greatest Hits" and the two-CD "Greatest Hits: 50 Big Ones." The two collections will be released Oct. 9.

Maybe that means just that the songs will appear on the CDs and not these particular performances of said songs. That's how I would understand it.

I think this is very interesting, though:

The band members kept the focus on the tour, their history and the exhibit, but members of the musicians' camps found the timing of Love's announcement, at the very least, curious. Several people close to the Beach Boys said they could have easily added another dozen dates in the U.K. In addition, Wilson has continued writing for a follow-up album to "That's Why God Made the Radio" and has four songs in the vein of the album's suite of "Strange World"/"From There to Back Again"/"Pacific Coast Highway."

BTW I never knew if the surfboard on the Surfer Girl and Surfin' Safari covers belonged to Dennis or was just a prop from Capitol. Neat to know that it is Dennis' and that it is there in the museum. Is it the one he got from Murry/bought himself when he was a teenager?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:40:00 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »

Thanks to 18th of May, Ivy, Don and Donny L for the nice comments about my post. Feels good to know this board still connects us in a positive way.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2012, 10:26:40 AM »

Jon, I hope you don't feel underappreciated here. It's contributions from experts like you that make it worth sifting through the silly stuff.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx