gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:51:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grammy Museum Los Angeles 9/18/12  (Read 42280 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2012, 03:56:48 PM »

This kinda counts as another show right? They are playing a "brief" acoustic set and doing a Q&A. I'll be there and will give my report/review when I get... back home.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »

This kinda counts as another show right? They are playing a "brief" acoustic set and doing a Q&A. I'll be there and will give my report/review when I get... back home.
Surely there could not be any plans to let Myke Luhv speak at this event.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:23:59 AM »

Have a good time!

Hope to hear and see it on the web soon

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:39:19 PM »

Facebook:

Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:48:46 PM »

Who's that playing the box?

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 04:59:44 PM »

Most likely John Cowsill.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 05:01:11 PM »

Looks like the boys backed by Darian, Totten and maybe Cowsill...wonder where Foskett is, as I find it hard to believe Brian would perform without him at his side.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »

Looks like the boys backed by Darian, Totten and maybe Cowsill...wonder where Foskett is, as I find it hard to believe Brian would perform without him at his side.

Maybe he wasn't feeling well so Darian was sitting in for him.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »

No Foskett with a minimal backing band? Sounds like this could be very interesting/promising.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »

Foskett was busy running various errands for Brian

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 07:04:26 PM »

There is another guitar player directly behind Brian, and hidden by Dave in the photo.  You can see the headstock of the guitar next to Darian's head.  Is that Cowsill sitting on and playing a box?
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 08:30:28 PM »

Pay no attention to the falsetto behind the curtain....
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »

Or Foskett took the photo.....

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 04:07:46 AM »

As another poster put it already: no Foskett, no Beach Boys.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 04:08:28 AM »

At first I thought it was Matt Jardine on the box.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 04:26:54 AM »

Are people sure that's John on the box? The man has gorgeous hair, why would he tie it up like that? Could be a techie checking the levels (if this is a pre-performance still, obviously), maybe? Otherwise a sit-in? This post couldn't be any more devoid of certainty. Could it?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 05:41:28 AM »

Facebook:

- Jack Rieley
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 06:01:41 AM »

Facebook:

Ahah, this one is funny!

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 06:18:20 AM »

so where's all the updates at?!

No mas, por favor.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 06:25:24 AM »

Facebook:

The Pendletones, 2012.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 07:08:39 AM »

I don't know where this is from. It was posted on Facebook and says "An evening with The Beach Boys":

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 07:21:49 AM »

Are people sure that's John on the box? The man has gorgeous hair, why would he tie it up like that?

"Gorgeous hair"??    Shocked

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 07:33:54 AM »

Are people sure that's John on the box? The man has gorgeous hair, why would he tie it up like that?

"Gorgeous hair"??    Shocked

Damn right. You ever seen those glorious untamed locks when the man's pounding on them drums? Majestic.

I'm gonna go lie down for a while until some info on this event is shared.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:43:02 AM by Scruffy ... The Janitor » Logged
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 07:53:28 AM »

The box he is sitting on is called a cajon, a wooden percussion instrument.  They're pretty cool because they multi-task as an insturment and a chair. Grin
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 08:04:11 AM »

It was a great event.  The band played 5 songs--SG, Cal Girls, Help Me Rhonda (introduced by Brian stating, "I'm really in the mood to hear Al Jardine sing..."), Kokomo, and I Get Around after about an hour of talk.  I tried but did not get to ask a qiuestion.  Most questions were typically lame. When asked what was "on his buscket list?", Brian stated "What is a bucket list?"   After having the concept explained to him, Brian replied that he "would really like to record a rock n' roll album with the boys". Huge applause all around. AL and David seconded that. When asked on follow up if there were definite plans on a new album, Brian replied no definite plans, but they would likely be back in the studio after the first of the year. When asked about their various solo ventures, Al stated he had no interest in that, "this is the band (pointing to the group)."  He stated that they plan on continuing on this configuration, or something to that effect, I lost the direct quote. No quotes from either Mike or Bruce on these topics, but Brian, Al and David were very vocal and upbeat about the future of the band together.

Although that was not Cowsill in the facebook pic, he was on the box for the performance.  Also backing were Foskett, Darian  and Totten.

Had the chance to meet Mark London who was very nice and gave some great insight into the box set (it IS coming out, never fear). Mark is in charge of the entire Booklet, approx 80 pages.  Will be filled with NUMEROUS unreleased and unseen photos. Said he was given access to a box of photos that had been stored in Brian's garage for years. ASked him iof the boys themselves had any input in the tracklist--"oh absolutely!" As for a release date, he still says November is possibile, but may indeed be pushed back because they "just f*cked with the tracklist" . There will be a lot of unrealeased material, but he didn't go into specifics.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:27:18 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx