gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:29:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SUMMER WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE BEACH BOYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR WRAP  (Read 127327 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 23, 2012, 06:12:54 PM »

Bruce just posted a video on his facebook page, directed at Al...

The "Problem Child" video
LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
oldsurferdude
« Reply #501 on: September 23, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »

BRIAN WILSON made ALL the music and is the true enigma and genius of the group, the one and only who made them go anywhere. When BRIAN dies, the Beach Boys as a term will die with him. Yes, Dennis and Carl were the heart & soul of The Beach Boys, but as Dennis himself said: 'Brian Wilson is THE Beach Boys'. They went on to be more than his messengers, but in the end Brian is the only being who can claim TRUE ownership of anything associated with the iconic name 'The Beach Boys'. Even back when he didn't tour with them, he was always there and always contributed their best music, ALWAYS. Even in his darkest hour. The notion that anyone can deny THE Brian Wilson a right to tour with and/or use the name 'The Beach Boys' is utterly digusting and illigitimate imho.

CAPS INTENDED.
Yes, Brian DID make all the music that mattered and that provided Myke Luhv a damn good living.
For Mike, yes you are correct, but for the fans, the rest of the band had to write and best of all, perform up to Brian's vision. Personally, I don't think Brian's music would have been as popular without the rest of the Beach Boys. In hindsight and with Brian's solo work, we see just how important the rest of the guys played in their overall sound and success.
Absolutely! Pet sounds would have been a stinking mess w/o Myke Luhv as would most of Today, Smile, etc, etc. Yeah good ol' Myke surely saved the day for both Brian and all the fans. What a guy!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 23, 2012, 06:26:53 PM »

BRIAN WILSON made ALL the music and is the true enigma and genius of the group, the one and only who made them go anywhere. When BRIAN dies, the Beach Boys as a term will die with him. Yes, Dennis and Carl were the heart & soul of The Beach Boys, but as Dennis himself said: 'Brian Wilson is THE Beach Boys'. They went on to be more than his messengers, but in the end Brian is the only being who can claim TRUE ownership of anything associated with the iconic name 'The Beach Boys'. Even back when he didn't tour with them, he was always there and always contributed their best music, ALWAYS. Even in his darkest hour. The notion that anyone can deny THE Brian Wilson a right to tour with and/or use the name 'The Beach Boys' is utterly digusting and illigitimate imho.

CAPS INTENDED.
Yes, Brian DID make all the music that mattered and that provided Myke Luhv a damn good living.
For Mike, yes you are correct, but for the fans, the rest of the band had to write and best of all, perform up to Brian's vision. Personally, I don't think Brian's music would have been as popular without the rest of the Beach Boys. In hindsight and with Brian's solo work, we see just how important the rest of the guys played in their overall sound and success.
Absolutely! Pet sounds would have been a stinking mess w/o Myke Luhv as would most of Today, Smile, etc, etc. Yeah good ol' Myke surely saved the day for both Brian and all the fans. What a guy!
I think Mike's problems and bad rep started once Brian retired from touring. Mike started giving long monologues between songs and screwing up lyrics on purpose. Brian never put up with that when he was stage leader.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 23, 2012, 06:28:34 PM »

Mike's "response" to Al's earlier "Good Timin" post above?

In your "dreams' Al! 

Maybe. But it's also an Al Jardine signature lead. So it may be a gentle nod to his band mate.

At this point, I'd expect big news coming from London next week.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: September 23, 2012, 06:31:22 PM »

CAPS INTENDED.

Nobody is saying that without Mike, Brian would be nothing. We're saying that Brian was/is better with the rest of the band. They ALL need each other to put out their best work. This is coming from someone who *likes* Brian's solo work, mind you. As good as the Brian solo show was I saw (and the recordings of other Brian shows I heard were)...him in 2012 with the rest of the Beach Boys was MUCH BETTER. If you don't like Mike, fine, but your entirely one-sided view of things is extremely  inaccurate and at times childish.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 23, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »

I guess I'll throw my opinion in again. Here is what I think the 5 principal members should do. With the few upcoming Mike and Bruce shows, if Brian, Al, and Dave wanna be part of it, then they should be allowed to. If that means a pay cut for everybody, so be it. If not, let Mike and Bruce do the shows with their band, and then resolve not to schedule any more shows until this is worked out. If they decide that they will be continuing on with the Brian, Al, and Dave, then they can decide whether they will allow Mike and Bruce to still do side "Beach Boys" shows. That is that. All they gotta do is figure out if they wanna do another album together with Brian early next year, and if they wanna tour together. If Mike, as I suspect, doesn't want to, then he can pay the consequences when the license for the name runs out. If he decides to tell Brian and Al to get lost, then they can deal with that the next time it's up for renewal. Then we will see everybody's true colors.

I think these guys should be really honest with themselves. Either The Beach Boys become a full-time concern again or they don't. If Brian and Al actually do want to keep on making new albums and touring with the group they should be allowed to. If Mike does not want to work with them, then he should have the name taken away from him, and he should go see how much money he would make on his own, or as the "Endless Summer Beach Band". Seems like he would come back to The Beach Boys pretty quickly after finding out the answer.

I get the feeling that a lot of people think that Mike DESERVES to have the name. That, to me, makes no sense. He is not THE BEACH BOYS. Brian Wilson is not THE BEACH BOYS. None of them are on their own. Only together are they. Mike can use the name 'till the contract is up, but after that it should be like any other "democratic" band. It's up to a majority of the members.

And lastly, I don't know who is in charge here, but "The Real Beach Boy" is probably the WORST moderator ever. He does not even try to maintain any modicum of "moderation" and starts more sh*t than he controls. And lastly, your clueless if you think "Brianistas" don't want the band to continue. I'm a huge fan of Brian, but I understand he, and the rest of the guys are a lot better together than they are solo. So I hope they can work out a way to stick together, and hopefully put out another album next year.

My memory is a little rusty but wasn't it Al who stated before the reunion became official that he wasn't interested in doing a full blown tour but was just willing to do a one off concert special?

No, it was the opposite.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #506 on: September 23, 2012, 06:42:37 PM »

CAPS INTENDED.

Nobody is saying that without Mike, Brian would be nothing. We're saying that Brian was/is better with the rest of the band. They ALL need each other to put out their best work. This is coming from someone who *likes* Brian's solo work, mind you. As good as the Brian solo show was I saw (and the recordings of other Brian shows I heard were)...him in 2012 with the rest of the Beach Boys was MUCH BETTER. If you don't like Mike, fine, but your entirely one-sided view of things is extremely  inaccurate and at times childish.
Where do you, a mod get off with the adolescent name calling. It's an opinion-can't deal with it, don't read it.
Jason
« Reply #507 on: September 23, 2012, 06:44:52 PM »

CAPS INTENDED.

Where do you, a mod get off with the adolescent name calling. It's an opinion-can't deal with it, don't read it.

*gasp* Someone has a different opinion? It's time for me to meditate.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 23, 2012, 06:49:07 PM »

My memory is a little rusty but wasn't it Al who stated before the reunion became official that he wasn't interested in doing a full blown tour but was just willing to do a one off concert special?

No, it was the opposite.

Told ya my memory was a little rusty.  Wink

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: September 23, 2012, 06:57:47 PM »

CAPS INTENDED.

Nobody is saying that without Mike, Brian would be nothing. We're saying that Brian was/is better with the rest of the band. They ALL need each other to put out their best work. This is coming from someone who *likes* Brian's solo work, mind you. As good as the Brian solo show was I saw (and the recordings of other Brian shows I heard were)...him in 2012 with the rest of the Beach Boys was MUCH BETTER. If you don't like Mike, fine, but your entirely one-sided view of things is extremely  inaccurate and at times childish.

Adolescent name calling? You're the one posting 'Myke Luhv' and 'Brooth'! If you read carefully, I did not say you are childish, just your spinning around the original post to suit your point.  But, hey, if the shoe fits, wear it. It's not the opinion I can't deal with, it's the putting words in other peoples' mouths.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: September 23, 2012, 06:59:35 PM »

school starts tomorrow; the BB have split up: summer's gone, gone like yesterday. . . . ..
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 23, 2012, 07:10:20 PM »

oldsurferdude is just a troll.  Don't feed him.

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 23, 2012, 07:18:14 PM »

This facebook airing of grievances is bizarre to me, and simply indicates that there must be something brewing below the surface. Something below the veneer of Summer Weather, We're Back Together. And heck, the excellent RS article hinted at that (which is what made it such a compelling read). As in - what, only two public performances of Our Prayer?

In other words, the fault lines have always been there.

What I'm personally quite concerned about is Mike's telling statement how he'd love to write with Brian again, or more specifically, a whole album.

I grew to tolerate and somewhat enjoy the hackeyed lyrics to Spring Vacation and Beaches, but I don't want a whole album of that. Not unless Mike ups his lyrical game. And if that makes me a delusional Brianista, then so be it.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: September 23, 2012, 07:20:09 PM »

I grew to tolerate and somewhat enjoy the hackeyed lyrics to Spring Vacation and Beaches, but I don't want a whole album of that. Not unless Mike ups his lyrical game. And if that makes me a delusional Brianista, then so be it.

But a lot of those were Brian's lyrics! In fact, Brian wrote more lyrics on the album than Mike did , which needs to be made clear.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:21:35 PM by Snapbacks & Tattoos » Logged

Jason
« Reply #514 on: September 23, 2012, 07:28:13 PM »

But a lot of those were Brian's lyrics! In fact, Brian wrote more lyrics on the album than Mike did , which needs to be made clear.

Spring Vacation may have banal lyrics but hell if they don't work with that melody. They work almost too well.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 23, 2012, 07:40:18 PM »

CAPS INTENDED.

BRIAN WILSON
UBER ALLES
BRIAN WILSON UUUUBER ALLES
UBER ALLES
BRIAN WILSON
UBER ALLES BRIAN WILSOOOOOON

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 23, 2012, 07:48:58 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Just about there ...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 23, 2012, 07:54:50 PM »

"The Godwinns was a gimmick of the professional wrestling tag team composed of Dennis Knight (Phineas I. Godwinn) and Mark Canterbury (Henry O. Godwinn) that they used in the WWF. The team has used other gimmicks before they joined the WWF and had a gimmick change in the WWF shortly before disbanding. Their WWF gimmick was that of two cousins who were hog farmers from Arkansas."

???
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:56:09 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 23, 2012, 07:55:44 PM »

CAPS INTENDED.

Brian Wilson made ALL the music for Feel Flows, Long Promised Road, Big Sur, Only With You, Disney Girls, Trader, and....... oh, nevermind.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #519 on: September 23, 2012, 08:01:28 PM »

CAPS INTENDED.

Nobody is saying that without Mike, Brian would be nothing. We're saying that Brian was/is better with the rest of the band. They ALL need each other to put out their best work. This is coming from someone who *likes* Brian's solo work, mind you. As good as the Brian solo show was I saw (and the recordings of other Brian shows I heard were)...him in 2012 with the rest of the Beach Boys was MUCH BETTER. If you don't like Mike, fine, but your entirely one-sided view of things is extremely  inaccurate and at times childish.

Adolescent name calling? You're the one posting 'Myke Luhv' and 'Brooth'! If you read carefully, I did not say you are childish, just your spinning around the original post to suit your point.  But, hey, if the shoe fits, wear it. It's not the opinion I can't deal with, it's the putting words in other peoples' mouths.
Hey you, tatoo-"...but your entirelyone sided view of things is extremely inaccurate and at times childish." Who is it directed to, Newt Gingritch?? And by the way, who made you the Pope?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: September 23, 2012, 08:12:06 PM »

I'm talking about your viewpoint as expressed above, not you personally, although intentional misspelling of names is pretty childish...that's MAD Magazine-grade stuff.
Who is it directed to, Newt Gingritch??

Good comparison...both of you like to twist words around to suit your own needs.

oldsurferdude is just a troll.  Don't feed him.

Good idea.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 23, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »

OSD is not a troll.

He's a LONGTIME fan who, I ...... THINK....... has something of a dislike for Mike Love.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 23, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »

This is all profoundly stupid.  Well done.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: September 23, 2012, 08:33:30 PM »

the idea of these septuagenarian rock stars monitoring each other's facebook statuses and squabbling like teenagers is ever-so-slightly amusing.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: September 23, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »

Murry Wilson likes this.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx