gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:48:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SUMMER WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE BEACH BOYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR WRAP  (Read 127330 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: September 23, 2012, 01:14:28 PM »

The press coverage in the UK should be interesting. I'm guessing they'll lob slightly tougher questions about all this if given the chance  -- all the platitudes about togetherness would fall flat if they continued the standard tour PR line.

Gawd, I love the Beach Boys! Never-ending drama!

We're going to spend all of 2013 reacting to Al Jardine interviews and premature announcements, aren't we.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 01:16:58 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 23, 2012, 01:18:50 PM »

The ones that are suffering through this are the fans as well, it gives a sour note considering myself and many other BB fans are seeing them next week. Sad
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 23, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »

We're going to spend all of 2013 reacting to Al Jardine interviews and premature announcements, aren't we.
LOL

It's like they can't help themselves.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 01:20:23 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 23, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »

Let me see if I'm clear about all this. So, it is OK to call this reunion band The Beach Boys, but the band that toured from 1984 through early 2012 is not The Beach Boys, correct? They were not The Beach Boys because Dennis passed away, and 2012 is OK, because why? Seems like a weird argument. Dennis is still gone and now so is Carl, but that is OK in 2012, but not at anytime prior?
Now, if Brian, Mike, Al tour, but no Bruce or David, now what do we have? I really do not get why we argue this stuff. I never hear complaints about The Who. Roger and Pete periodically tour under the name and they are missing one half of the original band.

Here, here!  

It all seems like selective memory to me.  People make up their own rules for who should/shouldn't be called a certain name...who really cares?  Mike and Bruce or Pete and Roger go on the road under the shorthand of their band names...will the name on the ticket somehow change how much you enjoy the music being played?  I'm so glad I'm not boggled down by these type of "issues."
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 23, 2012, 01:22:34 PM »

I do have to say though, the Beach Boys is probably one of my favourite long running soap operas. Cool Guy
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: September 23, 2012, 01:23:20 PM »

I hope that someday when we look back at this we'll have a good laugh. This has to be some joke. The mudslinging on FB is getting really old now. Why can't they just tell us what is REALLY going on and then we all can go on with our lives.

Avilos
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 23, 2012, 01:23:54 PM »

Yeah, I agree. I been following this all year. Actually also all these years of comments and rumors which lead to this year's tour. This fits that pattern. Its going to happen...... Oh, no its not going to happen.... (Brian) Oh I have no intention.... Than learning it was being planned for years.

This fits some fans simplified perceptions of the group to a tee. Too much so to be real. At most there maybe some negotiating deals behind the scenes for moving forward. But this is clearly manufactured in terms of what we are seeing. Maybe it will raise ticket sales or get the actual group memmbers a larger percentage of grosses from the concerts. "Hey look how much the fans want this to continue!"

THe band is likely enjoying all this attention and so am I!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 02:20:44 PM by Avilos » Logged
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 23, 2012, 01:28:14 PM »

The fans who are going to attend the UK shows have the chance to show the Boys their opinion about all this. So make signs, tell them want to see them united in the future!

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 23, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »

Let me see if I'm clear about all this. So, it is OK to call this reunion band The Beach Boys, but the band that toured from 1984 through early 2012 is not The Beach Boys, correct? They were not The Beach Boys because Dennis passed away, and 2012 is OK, because why? Seems like a weird argument. Dennis is still gone and now so is Carl, but that is OK in 2012, but not at anytime prior?
Now, if Brian, Mike, Al tour, but no Bruce or David, now what do we have? I really do not get why we argue this stuff. I never hear complaints about The Who. Roger and Pete periodically tour under the name and they are missing one half of the original band.

Here, here! 

It all seems like selective memory to me.  People make up their own rules for who should/shouldn't be called a certain name...who really cares?  Mike and Bruce or Pete and Roger go on the road under the shorthand of their band names...will the name on the ticket somehow change how much you enjoy the music being played?  I'm so glad I'm not boggled down by these type of "issues."
There you go Justin. Mike, Bruce, Roger and Pete; Beach Who?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 23, 2012, 01:47:28 PM »

Lets all just sit back, relax, see what happens. In the meantime i've got a DVD boxset of Red Dwarf with my name on it! Smokin
Jason
« Reply #460 on: September 23, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »

Lets all just sit back, relax, see what happens. In the meantime i've got a DVD boxset of Red Dwarf with my name on it! Smokin

That set tides me over in between Doctor Who episodes.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 23, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »

i was hoping Al, Brian or David MAY hint at something at Wembley, since it's the last show. that would be great to see! Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 23, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »

Al's going to make everyone in the Royal Albert Hall and Wembley Arena sign the petition after the show

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 23, 2012, 03:00:27 PM »

I think the focus got lost a little bit in these 19 pages.  It's not that Mike and Bruce CAN'T tour with their band. They have the legal right to do so , can't dispute that. The question is SHOULD they being do that? Is that in the best interest of the BB as a whole.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 23, 2012, 03:17:25 PM »

I think the focus got lost a little bit in these 19 pages.  It's not that Mike and Bruce CAN'T tour with their band. They have the legal right to do so , can't dispute that. The question is SHOULD they being do that? Is that in the best interest of the BB as a whole.
Of course Mike & Bruce should tour. They have commitments to honor. Now, next year is a different matter.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:18:25 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: September 23, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »

I think the focus got lost a little bit in these 19 pages.  It's not that Mike and Bruce CAN'T tour with their band. They have the legal right to do so , can't dispute that. The question is SHOULD they being do that? Is that in the best interest of the BB as a whole.
Of course Mike & Bruce should tour. They have commitments to honor. Now, next year is a different matter.

yes, and all they have to do is tell us that, confirming the album work upcoming as a united project with tours to follow once the boys are rested and healthy, while M and B carry the flag for a while, and we will all calm down. . . .
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 23, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »

Here, here! 

It all seems like selective memory to me.  People make up their own rules for who should/shouldn't be called a certain name...who really cares?  Mike and Bruce or Pete and Roger go on the road under the shorthand of their band names...will the name on the ticket somehow change how much you enjoy the music being played?  I'm so glad I'm not boggled down by these type of "issues."
There you go Justin. Mike, Bruce, Roger and Pete; Beach Who?

Sign me up for that show!  Hopefully they practice "Barbara Ann" a bit more!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 23, 2012, 03:53:08 PM »

It's different with The Who because Roger and Pete are the only living members, they're also arguably the core members of the group, the guy who sang lead on most of the songs and the guy who wrote most of the songs.

Now Mike Love is a very prominent member of The Beach Boys but the fact is, there are two other living original members of the group who are just as prominent as he is (well, one who's arguably more prominent) and they are seemingly being shut out.  That's what irks people.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 23, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »

This is all certainly very bizarre. Are Brian, Al and Dave so insulated that they weren't aware of the Mike and Bruce shows coming up, when it was common knowledge months ago? So Brian wants to tour constantly like Mike does now? Al thinks spreading a petition around that outright insults Mike is a smart way to get into his good graces? Is everybody broke? Are they just bored to death? Is this some kind of half-baked scheme to manipulate fans?

What in tarnation is going on with these old bastards?  Huh
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 23, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »

My oh my, they ought to turn it down a few notches if they want to keep this whole thing going on any kind of 'believable' level  LOL

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 23, 2012, 03:56:55 PM »

Basically -  the 'original' 5 Beach Boys no longer exist, they have added and subtracted members throughout their history - why should Mike and Bruce have any less validity as Beach Boys than Brian/Al/David or any combination of the lot of them.

Critical mass.  In terms of the people who contributed to making the music we love, a tour with five of them is a better representation of the group than a tour with two of them.  Especially when two of those five are the two most identifiable Beach Boys voices.

A tour with Brian, Al, and Dave still wouldn't be quite enough to be "The Beach Boys" for me (though it would be one hell of a show)...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 23, 2012, 04:00:32 PM »

BRIAN WILSON made ALL the music and is the true enigma and genius of the group, the one and only who made them go anywhere. When BRIAN dies, the Beach Boys as a term will die with him. Yes, Dennis and Carl were the heart & soul of The Beach Boys, but as Dennis himself said: 'Brian Wilson is THE Beach Boys'. They went on to be more than his messengers, but in the end Brian is the only being who can claim TRUE ownership of anything associated with the iconic name 'The Beach Boys'. Even back when he didn't tour with them, he was always there and always contributed their best music, ALWAYS. Even in his darkest hour. The notion that anyone can deny THE Brian Wilson a right to tour with and/or use the name 'The Beach Boys' is utterly digusting and illigitimate imho.

CAPS INTENDED.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 23, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »

Brian doesn't own or have exclusive rights to the group. Brian helped deny Al, so it's been done.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 23, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »

It's just sad that they're willing to apparently throw away all of the goodwill they generated through the reunion tour.  Everything has to come to an end at some point.  The question is do you push on until the engine finally blows or do you retire gracefully to the museum.  The group has been presented with a golden chance to retire gracefully.  For years we've had Mike and Bruce, Brian and Al (with David truly being the "lost" Beach Boy).  In 2012...all of the differing camps were brought together and the Beach Boys lived again (as much as they could without Carl and Dennis, that is).  They released a solid LP...they put on a solid tour.  Let's face it...the clock is ticking.  They're not going to be able to do this for ten more year...even five starts to really push it.  Do they want to go back to the Mike and Bruce show...and the Brian Wilson show...and the Al Jardine show...all touring by themselves?  They all have a right to do what they want.  Personally...I wouldn't mind if they'd go the route of the Stones.  Let it be the Beach Boys ONLY when the five living members decide to get together for a tour or an LP.  Anything else should be done under a solo banner.  If they had not gotten back together this year I'd have absolutely no problem with things remaining the same...but because they did get back together and because they did remind us what the Beach Boys could still be...it's going to be a bummer if this is it.  Of course, if they end up getting back together again they could still make this right...but knowing the history of the band and considering the ages involved...they cannot afford another period of bad blood.  Time just won't allow it and what we saw in 2012 will be it.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 23, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »

BRIAN WILSON made ALL the music and is the true enigma and genius of the group, the one and only who made them go anywhere. When BRIAN dies, the Beach Boys as a term will die with him. Yes, Dennis and Carl were the heart & soul of The Beach Boys, but as Dennis himself said: 'Brian Wilson is THE Beach Boys'. They went on to be more than his messengers, but in the end Brian is the only being who can claim TRUE ownership of anything associated with the iconic name 'The Beach Boys'. Even back when he didn't tour with them, he was always there and always contributed their best music, ALWAYS. Even in his darkest hour. The notion that anyone can deny THE Brian Wilson a right to tour with and/or use the name 'The Beach Boys' is utterly digusting and illigitimate imho.

CAPS INTENDED.
He denies himself the chance by licensing to Mike. What Mike does is partially Brian & Al's own doing through BRI. A Brianista, such as yourself, should understand that.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,