gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:44:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SUMMER WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE BEACH BOYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR WRAP  (Read 127329 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 23, 2012, 05:42:14 AM »

You know what? Even if this were just a clever marketing ploy with the full consent and participation of Brian and Al, it still wouldn't matter. A good number of the fans who have been following this in the last few days will still blame it on Mike or his manager(s). It will still be Mike's fault. The guy can't win to matter what.  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

And Mike and Bruce have kept a dignified silence actually

Yes, they have.

Are people considering those who are holding tickets for these shows with the Touring Band?  

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 23, 2012, 06:39:31 AM »

tbh all I care about now is that Myke and Bruce will NEVER go under the name 'The Beach Boys' again. Why? Because f*** them that's why.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #427 on: September 23, 2012, 06:40:41 AM »

I never expected the reunion to continue beyond this summer, the guys don't like each other, it's that simple. But if Brian, Al and David want to go out with Brian's band playing Beach Boys music, I'd be fine with that. It would certainly be as valid a BB's band as Mike's.
Put it this way, if Brian, Al and David toured, it WOULD be the ONLY valid Beach Boys in existence period. Brian and Al could pull the license, of course Myke Luhv would start legal proceedings and both him and BJ could go on singing at car washes and senior centers.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 23, 2012, 07:37:31 AM »

Is this how anyone wants the story of the band to end?  Two opposing camps?  Angry words? 

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 23, 2012, 07:52:18 AM »

Is this how anyone wants the story of the band to end?  Two opposing camps?  Angry words? 

For the Mike-haters, yes, that is exactly what they want.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #430 on: September 23, 2012, 08:11:33 AM »

This. Brianistas hate the Beach Boys.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 23, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »

If I were a gambler, and I wouldn't put a quarter in slot machine, (even with BB pictures) I'd bet that this is not over, but that stuff "in the pipeline" (pun intended!) has to be fulfilled.  And each entity has built a band and a business.  There is always middle ground for compromise.  All or nothing is not reasonable.  

Suppose Brian was to be offered a "solo" opportunity that did not include the band?  He got a "solo" Kennedy Center award.  He has an award for Mrs. O'Leary's Cow.  It is so complex that it is mind boggling.  It would be like re-marriage, post-divorce.  Or going steady, post breakup, proceeding with care and diligence.

Isn't there a way to make everyone happy?  Or, come to a middle ground?  Is there no confidence in their ability to figure it out without all this angst and hating of one party or another.  That is schoolyard stuff.

Then, they are big boys and will figure out their options.  I take whatever I read with a grain of salt.  It was a fantastic tour, beyond words, and with extraordinary effort from all involved.  It should not be soured.  Those contract holders need "reasonable assurance" of performance.  It is only fair to them and to those thousands of ticket holders.  I remember a cancelled show when I was left with a ticket and great disappointment as a teenager.  Maharishi - 1968.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 23, 2012, 08:35:10 AM »

Many times it has seemed like it was going to end that way, but things worked out eventually with the band. I have a feeling they won't be arguing that much by the new year.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 23, 2012, 08:36:51 AM »

What other choice is there? The reunion had an end date. Venues booked the non-reunion group. Is the promoter to take a loss by sending a more expensive group for a smaller group contract or are the Boys supposed to take a loss? I don't really know how it works. I suppose they could do whatever they agreed/agree to do.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 23, 2012, 08:46:57 AM »

There is something very basic about this whole mess that I don't understand. If it is true that Brian, Al, and David want to continue touring with Mike & Bruce, specifically continue along immediately after the C50 dates are over - HOW DID THEY THINK THEY WERE GOING TO GET PAID?

The Mike & Bruce dates were booked several moths ago. The promoters know how big the venues are, the tickets have already been sold, and, most importantly, Mike & Bruce know exactly how much their take (and the band) is going to be. It's been that way (the dividing of their take) since Carl passed and Al was dismissed.

So, now, Al wants to tag along. OK, and I guess he wants to get paid for it. I mean, he's not gonna sit in for free. How about Brian and David? I'm sure Brian will take a big pay cut. Roll Eyes SO, WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING TO COME FROM? You could replace a guitar player, I guess, with David. But, you can't replace a keyboard player with Brian. But, is it right to abruptly dismiss Mike & Bruce band members? Would Brian do it to his band? Or Al? David already knows what it's like to be abruptly replaced.

It's almost like Al wants to invite himself and his friends to the party, a party that he wasn't invited to. Now, if the person throwing the party (Mike & Bruce) knew a little sooner that his friends (Al, Brian, David) wanted to attend, he could've made arrangements way back when.

I know many Mike haters will say that Mike & Bruce should take the money out of their pocket, maybe take less of a cut. Remember, this is the Mike & Bruce show, not one of the C50 concerts. I highly doubt they're making big bucks at these smaller gigs, enough to afford Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, and David Marks. I'd like to ask Al that question. Where does he think the money is going to come from? Maybe the promoter could set up some more folding chairs...

EDIT: Sorry, Cam. I read your post right after posting mine. I think I repeated you're points.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:49:09 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #435 on: September 23, 2012, 09:31:56 AM »

Is this how anyone wants the story of the band to end?  Two opposing camps?  Angry words?  

Only the one who tours with his butler.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:33:18 AM by oldsurferdude » Logged
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 23, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/552758
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 23, 2012, 09:38:14 AM »

Your contempt really knows no bounds, does it? It's certainly not constrained by any facsimile of reality.
adloc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 23, 2012, 09:43:50 AM »

Put it this way, if Brian, Al and David toured, it WOULD be the ONLY valid Beach Boys in existence period. Brian and Al could pull the license, of course Myke Luhv would start legal proceedings and both him and BJ could go on singing at car washes and senior centers.
[/quote]

Y'see I wouldn't call BW and his musicians 'The Beach Boys' either. The real sense in anyone calling themselves that surely came to an end after Dennis died, and certainly after Carl. Is Paul McCartney The Beatles? Is he more The Beatles if Ringo joined him? The fact is they are all excellent at what they do. You're lucky if they're doing 'car washes and senior centers', concerts are gold-dust here and on the few occasions they're here Mike and Bruce do an excellent job of bringing the stuff that is always the beginning of BB fandom to new audiences. Is it really a competition?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 23, 2012, 09:49:48 AM »

Isn't there a way to make everyone happy?  Or, come to a middle ground?  Is there no confidence in their ability to figure it out without all this angst and hating of one party or another.  That is schoolyard stuff. 

I agree.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #440 on: September 23, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »

Your contempt really knows no bounds, does it? It's certainly not constrained by any facsimile of reality.

I wouldn't even call it contempt; I find much of this situation hilarious. My remarks are merely directed at those who knew even before this reunion took place that Mike and Bruce's band would be going back to their duties once the reunion tour was over. It was not even an OPEN secret! It was known even during the reunion tour. Of course, people are still struggling to find reasons to bitch about it, like they had "no idea" it was going to happen. I'd like to think that the Brianista community isn't that stupid. Considering how much they dissect every press release and Brian/Melinda post on the blueboard, one would think this current situation would be a non-issue since it was known for months.

It's manufactured outrage. People looking for any reason to point out the villain.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 23, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »

Every story needs a villain. Mike has been "given" that role with the BB and he's done some things to reinforce it, like or not . Right or wrong it's not gonna change. A few can rant on a message board but ultimately the sides were decided many years ago. It will take many years to undo, long after any BB are alive I suspect before history gets rewritten.  That's how history and legacies work.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 23, 2012, 11:47:24 AM »

Y'see I wouldn't call BW and his musicians 'The Beach Boys' either. The real sense in anyone calling themselves that surely came to an end after Dennis died, and certainly after Carl. Is Paul McCartney The Beatles? Is he more The Beatles if Ringo joined him? The fact is they are all excellent at what they do. You're lucky if they're doing 'car washes and senior centers', concerts are gold-dust here and on the few occasions they're here Mike and Bruce do an excellent job of bringing the stuff that is always the beginning of BB fandom to new audiences. Is it really a competition?
[/quote]

If the group includes all surviving members who WISH to participate, call them the Beach Boys. You can't call Brian and Al touring together The Beach Boys even if they did have more "original" members than M&B's band. If Brian decides to tour solo for some of the time, fine, but that should be a Brian Wilson solo gig and he should be able to be in whichever Beach Boys gigs he wants.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 23, 2012, 11:54:46 AM »

I would prefer to hope that the reason most people are a little disappointed with recent events (not so much the what - which we all should have expected, but the how) is because really we all love The Beach Boys and want to see them get along and continue recent triumphs as long as possible (minus odd chaps like oldsurferd00d).

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: September 23, 2012, 11:55:42 AM »

the real story is not that Mike Love did this bad thing or that Mike Love had the right to do it and Jardine/wilson/Marks have no right to bitch and that Brianista this or Mike Lover that.... the real story is that this reunion which no one ever dreamt would ever happened but did happen and was great is disintegrating into anger and dispute just like so many times before.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 23, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »

If the group includes all surviving members who WISH to participate, call them the Beach Boys. You can't call Brian and Al touring together The Beach Boys even if they did have more "original" members than M&B's band. If Brian decides to tour solo for some of the time, fine, but that should be a Brian Wilson solo gig and he should be able to be in whichever Beach Boys gigs he wants.
Let me see if I'm clear about all this. So, it is OK to call this reunion band The Beach Boys, but the band that toured from 1984 through early 2012 is not The Beach Boys, correct? They were not The Beach Boys because Dennis passed away, and 2012 is OK, because why? Seems like a weird argument. Dennis is still gone and now so is Carl, but that is OK in 2012, but not at anytime prior?
Now, if Brian, Mike, Al tour, but no Bruce or David, now what do we have? I really do not get why we argue this stuff. I never hear complaints about The Who. Roger and Pete periodically tour under the name and they are missing one half of the original band.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:14:42 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 23, 2012, 12:45:14 PM »

About an hour ago this was posted on Al's official Facebook:

"Al Jardine shared a link.
about an hour ago
"I’m disappointed and can’t understand why he (Love) doesn’t want to tour with Al, David and me. We are out here having so much fun. After all, we are the real Beach Boys. --Brian Wilson"
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:46:08 PM by SamMcK » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 23, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »

This is madness, and I can't read these posts anymore until we get "information" instead of conjecture. What we are looking for is confirmation that the press release and the M/B shows are planned and understood as a necessary fulfillment of legal obligations and will not break up the band or prevent them from future tours and from making the next album. I suspect we will see some new release and clarification to that effect, as they all must be seeing how (publicity stunt or not) that this is having a negative effect on fandom. I am not listening to the album now because it's bitter to do so, with all the talk of harmony and reunion undone. All we can do is wait.

But why they are fighting this out publicly instead of handling it internally is a mystery. I see the wisdom in not saturating the market, but I do not understand why they would risk bad press by revealing this embarrassing disunity. We have written a dozen better press releases for them in these pages. . . . .I am at my limit.
adloc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 23, 2012, 01:08:17 PM »

Let me see if I'm clear about all this. So, it is OK to call this reunion band The Beach Boys, but the band that toured from 1984 through early 2012 is not The Beach Boys, correct? They were not The Beach Boys because Dennis passed away, and 2012 is OK, because why? Seems like a weird argument. Dennis is still gone and now so is Carl, but that is OK in 2012, but not at anytime prior?
Now, if Brian, Mike, Al tour, but no Bruce or David, now what do we have? I really do not get why we argue this stuff. I never hear complaints about The Who. Roger and Pete periodically tour under the name and they are missing one half of the original band.

Maybe we were all saying the same thing here - are we? (if it even matters, as you say).

Basically -  the 'original' 5 Beach Boys no longer exist, they have added and subtracted members throughout their history - why should Mike and Bruce have any less validity as Beach Boys than Brian/Al/David or any combination of the lot of them.  Either there's some group called the BBs or it ceases to exist as a name - they're all contributing to the legend, so who cares?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 23, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »

but I do not understand why they would risk bad press by revealing this embarrassing disunity.

That's the smoking gun right there. 

The mudslinging on FB is a tad over the top and with each new link one of them posts on their page--the more obvious it is what they're trying to achieve here.  A few large media groups have picked up the story and the fanbase is on its head.  Mission accomplished. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 27 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx