gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 11:13:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SUMMER WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE BEACH BOYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR WRAP  (Read 128813 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 25, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »

I don't know. Rolling Stone and Nutty Jerry's statement make it sound like Nutty Jerry's cancelled it because it wasn't the reunion group.

In the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter, but this is what the LA Times article states:

"The shift in the touring lineup also has caused some confusion outside the group itself. Texas club Nutty Jerry's had booked a Beach Boys show, which has since been canceled. Love's manager Jay Jones said it was Love's decision to halt the show because it was being inaccurately promoted as part of the reunion tour with the original members."

The full group is back, so I think the demand is for full group or no group at all.

Got some news for you dude - outside of us and the Blooies, NO-ONE CARES who's in the band.

That is so not true.
Some people who go to a show just to go to a show....yes. But I feel the majority of Beach Boys fans who pay money to go see them know about the history of the group. There are plenty of people who only saw this tour because of the other three participants. And yeah, let's just say it, mostly because of Brian. Do you honestly think they could have played the venues they played on this tour if it was just Mike, Bruce, Al, and Dave? Maybe some of them, but they certainly would have a lot more empty seats than they actually did.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 25, 2012, 09:10:49 AM »

Big question is if in the first Mike and Bruce gig, will the Lovester bring back the (add libbing)"....my cousin is a genius 'cause he stays home and makes money..." joke?
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 25, 2012, 09:13:28 AM »

There's no doubt that the 50 Year Celebration Tour has been a success - artistically and likely financially.
But, how many name groups from the '60s and '70s continuously tour? Hardly many, if any. When they do tour it is usually for some special reason - a reunion, mark a milestone etc. ie. a special event -with a set engagement schedule and then that tour is over. Examples that come to mind are: Rolling Stones; Fleetwood Mac; Eagles (I'm sure there are more). Later on, they may re-unite and do another tour but it is not continuous. In the meantime, some of the individual performers go out on their own under their own name.
I would guess that those tours have a set engagement because it makes limited supply and thus causes a good demand (see them or miss it). And, if it went on forever there would be diminishing returns.
That's what we have here with the exception being that M and B can use the BB name when they go out (and they pay a good amount for it!). That may be what makes this situation more unique than the others.
Perhaps realistically, if the current group continued to perform I think eventually the shows would stop selling out, the venues would become smaller etc. and financially it wouldn't make sense. In that sense AGD has a good point - the hard core fans would see the group again (and again) but eventually it isn't "must see" to the casual fan.
So, does that mean (1) the BB remain as presently constituted but reduce the number of shows annually to the exclusion of anything else; (2)  or take a hiatus; (3) if #2, do the individuals perform in the interim; (4) if #3 then under what name and if not "Beach Boys" how does that impact the revenue that has been generated under the current (pre-50 Year Celebration) arrangement.
The "reality and practicality" of the situation and the "emotional aspects" just don't seem to completely align together in a way that can satisfy everyone.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 25, 2012, 09:17:06 AM »

It is unpractical to think that Mike and Bruce would stop touring with their outfit when Brian wants to write an album/record/take a break. It's just that since this current reunion has happened, The Beach Boys should be the five living participants. When M&B's band goes out to tour, they should be called something other than The Beach Boys. Mike Love's Beach Boys. The Beach Boys featuring Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. Unleash The Love & Johnston Tour. Anything but "The Beach Boys".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Jason
« Reply #629 on: September 25, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »

It is unpractical to think that Mike and Bruce would stop touring with their outfit when Brian wants to write an album/record/take a break. It's just that since this current reunion has happened, The Beach Boys should be the five living participants. When M&B's band goes out to tour, they should be called something other than The Beach Boys. Mike Love's Beach Boys. The Beach Boys featuring Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. Unleash The Love & Johnston Tour. Anything but "The Beach Boys".

And coulda, woulda, shoulda. You'll have to take that up with Brian and Melinda, Al, and Justyn and Jonah. Smiley
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: September 25, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »

If the BB, rather than our own team here in he last 2 posts, had written such a clear explanation of policy and practice, we would all be content. We "understand" M and B playing as they wish while the rest of the band rest up for the next album and set of special appearances, but we want an announcement that this is the case.  Again, we are doing unpaid consulting work
Jason
« Reply #631 on: September 25, 2012, 09:24:18 AM »

If the BB, rather than our own team here in he last 2 posts, had written such a clear explanation of policy and practice, we would all be content. We "understand" M and B playing as they wish while the rest of the band rest up for the next album and set of special appearances, but we want an announcement that this is the case.  Again, we are doing unpaid consulting work

I can almost certainly promise you without fear of contradiction that the Beach Boys are already thinking three moves ahead of the fanbase.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: September 25, 2012, 09:27:53 AM »

Cut to Brian softly snoring in an armchair.

Jason
« Reply #633 on: September 25, 2012, 09:28:45 AM »

Cut to Brian softly snoring in an armchair.

No doubt due to the boredom of the fanbase's typically predictable responses...Smiley
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #634 on: September 25, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »

Yeah, it is predictable isn't it. Still, this time we get competing Facebook snark! Is that a first for our motley gang or have I missed previous underling social media snark?

Now... somebody get the Jools thing online quick today so I can stop checking this threads for a few minutes.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:33:44 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Jason
« Reply #635 on: September 25, 2012, 09:33:31 AM »

Yeah, it is predictable isn't it. Still, this time we get competing Facebook snark! Is that a first for our motley gang or have I missed previous underling social media snark?

It's all good publicity. Hence why I'm just not worried about the "future of the band". They'll still be around. They're not going anywhere.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: September 25, 2012, 09:35:34 AM »

Yeah, it sure is.

I'm actually mildly shocked it's gone as well as it has, actually. Surely this would've been a good year for The Tarmac Incident II! Maybe they truly have mellowed a bit. Except for when they had to shoot Jardine with a tranquilizing dart shortly after the Greek Theater gig.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:39:05 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Jason
« Reply #637 on: September 25, 2012, 09:38:24 AM »

Yeah, it sure is.

I'm actually mildly shocked it's gone as well as it has, actually. Surely this would've been a good year for The Tarmac Incident II! Maybe they truly have mellowed a bit.

At their ages, if someone were to attempt a left hook, the next stop would be the hospital for a hip replacement. Michael was right, y'know. They're closer to hip replacement than hip-hop. Smiley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 25, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »

Yeah, it sure is.

I'm actually mildly shocked it's gone as well as it has, actually. Surely this would've been a good year for The Tarmac Incident II! Maybe they truly have mellowed a bit. Except for when they had to shoot Jardine with a tranquilizing dart shortly after the Greek Theater gig.

What about the brawl at the Shoney's Buffet where Bruce pistol whipped the Shoney Bear.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #639 on: September 25, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »

Yeah, it sure is.

What about the brawl at the Shoney's Buffet where Bruce pistol whipped the Shoney Bear.

And screamed at the top of his lungs, "FUM HIM THE MOURDOROUS BASTARD!"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 25, 2012, 09:51:19 AM »

Ya know, I was there when it happened, but over the years, I have forgotten the source of FUM HIM THE MOURDOUROUS BASTARD! Who said that, and in what context? Refresh me.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #641 on: September 25, 2012, 10:08:42 AM »

Ya know, I was there when it happened, but over the years, I have forgotten the source of FUM HIM THE MOURDOUROUS BASTARD! Who said that, and in what context? Refresh me.

It came about from a Charles Manson discussion on here...the guy claimed that he felt like he "sined for praising Manson", as opposed to cosined or tangented. Then came the classic "FUM HIM" remark. The interwebs haven't been the same since.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 25, 2012, 10:15:30 AM »

I don't know. Rolling Stone and Nutty Jerry's statement make it sound like Nutty Jerry's cancelled it because it wasn't the reunion group.

In the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter, but this is what the LA Times article states:

"The shift in the touring lineup also has caused some confusion outside the group itself. Texas club Nutty Jerry's had booked a Beach Boys show, which has since been canceled. Love's manager Jay Jones said it was Love's decision to halt the show because it was being inaccurately promoted as part of the reunion tour with the original members."

The full group is back, so I think the demand is for full group or no group at all.

Got some news for you dude - outside of us and the Blooies, NO-ONE CARES who's in the band.

You're very wrong on that one, very wrong

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 25, 2012, 10:17:05 AM »

It came about from a Charles Manson discussion on here...the guy claimed that he felt like he "sined for praising Manson", as opposed to cosined or tangented. Then came the classic "FUM HIM" remark. The interwebs haven't been the same since.

There ya go!

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 25, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »

Quote from: BarryDavidThomson on December 28, 2005, 05:17:55 PM

My first Manson wrote listen a very beutifull song sung by one Willium Axl Rose . A song called look at your game girl. Axl in fact became completley obsessed with manson. He wore a shirt very often with various masnon themed frazes, ie charlie dont surf!

Fair enough, he was very fkd up.

But, he did have a very eatherel sence of song. A song that only, in my mind, has no fear. He, and in every sence of the word had balls. His was a world of confusion, but his lyrics speak out to me.

Bottom line though, FUM HIM THE MOURDOROUS BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Praise him and you are as bad as I am!

Im in no way religious, infact I hate the whole god fad. But I still feel like Ive sined for praising MANSON.

Cheers

Barry

I totally forgot "Praise him and you are as bad as I am!" and "the whole god fad". Amazing.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #645 on: September 25, 2012, 11:11:26 AM »

Fans have been saying this/asking for this since 1998. It will never happen. Mike went out as "America's Band" in 1998 and ticket sales and bookings were reportedly poor. Even when Al used a variation on the trademark and went out as "Beach Boys Family & Friends", he wasn't getting a ton of bookings. It's only when a band can use the name "The Beach Boys", with no amendments, or legal wrangling, etc., that it becomes the highly profitable enterprise that it is now.

On top of that, I don't think it's out of line to suggest that Mike also likes using the name because it allows him to sort of claim a part of their legacy in a way the others can't or don't.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 25, 2012, 11:18:56 AM »

After its all been said...
given how well this Tour has gone and the way the principals have interacted with each other, at least in public, I'm pretty optimistic that there will be good things for fans of The Beach Boys for the forseeable future so long as everyone's health holds out. For example;
 - Brian wants to compose and record more for the group;
 - everyone has shown an interest in returning to the studio to do another album;
 - there will be more "live" shows whether its by Mike and Bruce's outfit or otherwise (ie. maybe including some combination of Brian, Al, David at some point) or the 5 principals in full again at a later time;
 - perhaps more performances by California Saga (or some configuration thereof) down the road;
 - various forthcoming releases of previous materials and of the current tour.
So, new tunes in our future and continuing to being able to hear the great hits and music performed live. All in all, not too bad and actually pretty nice.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 25, 2012, 11:42:31 AM »

BB universe, you're my kind of teacher, a master of the art of positive summary. I agree and look forward to the next installment, which I suppose is the 50 big ones record with the new IIT.  I am not sure I know enough about production to appreciate the remasters of older albums.
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 25, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »

Thanks, "The Professor" for the comment and I'm with you on looking to the next installment as well as some YouTube highlights from the upcoming  UK shows.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 25, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »

Quote from: BarryDavidThomson on December 28, 2005, 05:17:55 PM

My first Manson wrote listen a very beutifull song sung by one Willium Axl Rose . A song called look at your game girl. Axl in fact became completley obsessed with manson. He wore a shirt very often with various masnon themed frazes, ie charlie dont surf!

Fair enough, he was very fkd up.

But, he did have a very eatherel sence of song. A song that only, in my mind, has no fear. He, and in every sence of the word had balls. His was a world of confusion, but his lyrics speak out to me.

Bottom line though, FUM HIM THE MOURDOROUS BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Praise him and you are as bad as I am!

Im in no way religious, infact I hate the whole god fad. But I still feel like Ive sined for praising MANSON.

Cheers

Barry

I totally forgot "Praise him and you are as bad as I am!" and "the whole god fad". Amazing.

Barry where are you now?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx