gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:42:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SUMMER WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE BEACH BOYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR WRAP  (Read 127343 times)
Jason
« Reply #350 on: September 22, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »

Once the tour ended it was known that Michael still had the license to use the name. I'm sorry but I don't see what's making the fan base go absolutely ape over this. I don't know if it's idealism, good old fashioned ignorance, or just the fact that people look for reasons to hate on Michael.

I'll defend the decision mainly for this reason...who's to say we won't get another tour with all five of them? I think they should take Carl's advice and tour with this lineup maybe once every year. Build up demand. I'd say it worked this time. It'll work again.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 22, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »

This has gone from constructive criticism to simple Michael bashing. It was known BEFORE THE TOUR BEGAN that it would go back to the way it was BEFORE THE TOUR BEGAN. This should never have come as a surprise to anyone, but Brianistas were never that perceptive.

True.

But you can't defend Mike releasing the press release prior to the tour ending and apparently releasing it without even discussing it with the rest of the group

Well, I could defend it.  The Touring Band has very proximate commitments.  Just suppose you had booked them and saw all this stuff online?  Would you wonder if they would be breaching the contract?  Of course.

You have to assure people you are going to perform (pun intended! ) on the underlying obligations.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:22:38 AM by filledeplage » Logged
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 22, 2012, 11:26:13 AM »

I've always referred to the Mike & Bruce Band as "The Touring Beach Boys"
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 22, 2012, 11:45:18 AM »

Where is Carl Wilson when you need him
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 22, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »

He died a year or two after being the main force behind thwarting an attempt at a reunion album with all members.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason
« Reply #355 on: September 22, 2012, 12:06:31 PM »

He died a year or two after being the main force behind thwarting an attempt at a reunion album with all members.

I don't envy the verbal lashing you'll receive for this one...and only because it's the truth.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 22, 2012, 12:12:34 PM »

Just sayin'. I love Carl, obviously, and it wasn't at all meant as a slam on him, I just don't know if he could have helped this situation much. But then things would be vastly different if he were still around, anyway.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 22, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »

Once the tour ended it was known that Michael still had the license to use the name. I'm sorry but I don't see what's making the fan base go absolutely ape over this. I don't know if it's idealism, good old fashioned ignorance, or just the fact that people look for reasons to hate on Michael.

I'll defend the decision mainly for this reason...who's to say we won't get another tour with all five of them? I think they should take Carl's advice and tour with this lineup maybe once every year. Build up demand. I'd say it worked this time. It'll work again.

I agree.  I don't mind what Mike does on his own time or with the "brand name".  I just don't want these guys to permanently go their separate ways again.  What we saw this summer was just too cool, these guys belong up there on stage together.  As long as Brian is physically and emotionally able to commit to being on stage in the future and as long as the rest of the boys are willing, I would just love for this thing to continue on even if it's every other year or something like that.  I just like the feeling of being able to buy tickets to see The Beach Boys with all the surviving members up on stage together.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: September 22, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »

Buried in those posts is the comment that Brian "turned over" ownership of the BB's name (or at least presumably his share) to Mike during one of the past lawsuits. I've never heard this before. I wonder if this is accurate. I would highly doubt that Brian literally gave Mike his stake in the BB copyright, but I suppose it's possible in one of their settlements that Brian agreed to vote with Mike in perpetuity on licenses.

I'm still skeptical of this scenario being true. If so, it *would* explain Al being so helpless and powerless in various BB name-related issues of the past.

I do also recall, however, that buried in the lawsuit from a few years ago between Mike and Brian regarding "Smile" and the free giveaway CD and all of that, Mike's lawyer claimed that Brian's camp at one point threatned to have Brian tour with Al and under the "Beach Boys" name. So I'm still doubting Brian has no power in the use of the name.

Interesting, and slightly sickening, stuff.  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 22, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »

Just sayin'. I love Carl, obviously, and it wasn't at all meant as a slam on him, I just don't know if he could have helped this situation much. But then things would be vastly different if he were still around, anyway.

Carl is still tops in my books.  I think it's key to remember the situation now is different from the way things were towards the end of Carl's life.  I'd like to think that if Carl had beaten the cancer and was still with us that he would see things in a different light today.  I'd like to think that he'd be proud of how far Brian has come in the last decade or so as far as being able to conquer at least some of the demons that were plaguing him for many years.  Who knows where he'd be as far as being part of The Beach Boys?  Maybe he would've quit along with Brian years ago?  Maybe he would've carried on?  I guess we'll never know except that through his contributions to the group, his spirit will always be a huge part of whatever the band does collectively or individually.  

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: September 22, 2012, 12:33:42 PM »

Some fans don't like the decison specifically because the other three guys want to keep the reunion going. It's pretty simple; that's the one fact that is irking some fans. It's not what a lot of us expected. If Brian didn't care, and was back to his sort of ambivalent attitude about Mike using the name and Brian wanted to do more solo stuff, then it would be more palatable to see Mike go back to his own tour.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 22, 2012, 12:47:39 PM »

Carl is still tops in my books.  I think it's key to remember the situation now is different from the way things were towards the end of Carl's life.  I'd like to think that if Carl had beaten the cancer and was still with us that he would see things in a different light today.  I'd like to think that he'd be proud of how far Brian has come in the last decade or so as far as being able to conquer at least some of the demons that were plaguing him for many years.  Who knows where he'd be as far as being part of The Beach Boys?  Maybe he would've quit along with Brian years ago?  Maybe he would've carried on?  I guess we'll never know except that through his contributions to the group, his spirit will always be a huge part of whatever the band does collectively or individually. 

No, I totally agree and don't resent him for putting a halt to those recordings. Just wanted to say that things were never so simple with these guys, especially as time has gone on. I do think an album with the original members would've happened sooner or later.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: September 22, 2012, 01:02:16 PM »

Oh look, there's a petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/to-mike-love-we-want-al-brian-and-david-to-stay/

This whole thing is giving  me a headache, which is the last thing I need right now! Carry on now...

Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 22, 2012, 01:40:21 PM »

Oh look, there's a petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/to-mike-love-we-want-al-brian-and-david-to-stay/

This whole thing is giving  me a headache, which is the last thing I need right now! Carry on now...

Al just linked to it on Twitter.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 22, 2012, 02:23:04 PM »

Al just linked to it on Twitter.

And facebook, wow.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 22, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »

He called it a "Petition to Mike Love"

wow  Shocked

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: September 22, 2012, 02:41:48 PM »

Now, that is bullsh!t. Especially considering the phrasing "for your final years of touring". Of course they won't tour another 50 years but still. And I don't like/think it's a good idea that Al's Facebook people posted it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 22, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »

Al pushing a petition?

It's official: all of this is turning f*cking WEIRD.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 22, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »

To: Mike Love,

In order to preserve the validity of "The Beach Boys" as a whole, and not as a "money saving, stripped down version" that only contains 1 original member, and 1 member that joined in 1965, we ask you to re-instate the 3 other members to the touring group for your final years performing.

It's the right thing to do, and it's what the fans want!

What the hell is going on around here?  I'm in a bizarro world?  All this stinks of something.  Something's up here.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: September 22, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »

Who manages their FB and Twitter? I thought the media was already bad enough with this but their people doing stuff like that online just adds fuel to the fire, if there really is a fire and not one created by the media.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: September 22, 2012, 02:56:10 PM »

So, Mike makes this announcement shortly before this reunion tour ends.  Brian's people make a big deal out of it, on FB and elsewhere. Brian and Al both happen to say something during the Grammy museum thing. This petition pops up, and Al links to it on FB. Doesn't any of this seem odd to any of you? Yeah, we all knew this was only a temporary reunion, yet all of a sudden it's being made into a big deal in the press...by the members themselves. Go  back and read previous interviews from the very beginning of the tour. This is all a marketing ploy.

I think Mike's press release was a power play and a negotiation tactic, to put the idea of the entire group's continuing to tour on the table--officially, publicly, legally, and with notice of his continuing control of all things "Beach Boys."
Think about this: Why did Mike issue that press release when he did?  He had not just scheduled the dates; that was done months ago.  The tour isn't over; they still have the London concerts to go.  So why then?  Why in conjunction with the Grammy Museum appearance?  Because the Grammy event got them some press, ensuring that the release would be publicized; and because the reunion tour is not over, so there still is time for negotiation.
I believe Mike's press release, as intended, resulted in many legal and financial wheels beginning to turn.  I think Brian and Melinda, Al, David, and a gang of attorneys, all talked about this the following morning.  I think we'll hear more about it, possibly an announcement from London.  Will the entire band go on?  It depends on the negotiations: who demands what, who agrees to what, and, above all, that Mike gets as big a piece of the pie as he wants.

^ This...is possibly very close to the truth. There's definitely some posturing going on (by all sides).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #371 on: September 22, 2012, 02:57:46 PM »

To: Mike Love,

In order to preserve the validity of "The Beach Boys" as a whole, and not as a "money saving, stripped down version" that only contains 1 original member, and 1 member that joined in 1965, we ask you to re-instate the 3 other members to the touring group for your final years performing.

It's the right thing to do, and it's what the fans want!

What the hell is going on around here?  I'm in a bizarro world?  All this stinks of something.  Something's up here.

It's a bunch of bored Brianistas involving themselves in a whole bunch of conspiracy theories.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 22, 2012, 03:00:31 PM »

It's just so weird that Al would be endorsing that petition even if he didn't create it.  The petition's wording is very aggressive and not exactly subtle.  I'm surprised that Al would want to acknowledge it at all--let alone stand by the comments made there.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: September 22, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »

Oh yeah, most definitely.

Who manages their FB and Twitter? I thought the media was already bad enough with this but their people doing stuff like that online just adds fuel to the fire, if there really is a fire and not one created by the media.

Maybe the point IS to throw fuel on the fire...gets us talking, and so when they tour together again, the novelty of them performing together again is still intact. It's like those furniture stores that have yearly 'going out of business' sales.

It's a bunch of bored Brianistas involving themselves in a whole bunch of conspiracy theories.

Ehh...remember...Controversy creates cash. This is a ploy, by all sides. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike not only knew about the petition, but suggested Al link to it. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:02:53 PM by Snapbacks & Tattoos » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #374 on: September 22, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »

This has gone from constructive criticism to simple Michael bashing. It was known BEFORE THE TOUR BEGAN that it would go back to the way it was BEFORE THE TOUR BEGAN. This should never have come as a surprise to anyone, but Brianistas were never that perceptive.
And Mykahnistas were?  Whatever!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx