gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:17:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SUMMER WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE BEACH BOYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR WRAP  (Read 128185 times)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: September 21, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »

The professor is back from China.

Al's statement said Mike was willing to talk it over.  I hope that they do and that they formally supplement that "public notice" style bulletin (which I think they were obliged to post) about Mike and Bruce touring with some sort of comforting follow up statement (as we all have been crafting for them) saying, essentially, "M and B will carry the flag for the while while Dave Al and Brian rest up; then the BB will be back in the studio in January making a follow up to TWGMTR and planning more events as 2013 roles on, so stay tuned!!"

Mike is right about saturation; he is also right about wanting to write songs with Brian, as we all love the album, but many songs are JT songs, and Mike longs for some old school family purity; he quite rightly wants more of an "our album" feeling than he, Bruce, Al and Dave were able to achieve on TWG, in which they came late and supplemented, in many cases, existing tracks.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 21, 2012, 02:08:15 PM »

Maybe we will get some more of this great Beach Boys lineup in the future.  Or, maybe Bobby Ewing will simply step out of the shower Grin
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 21, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »

I hope it all works out for them, all this entire business is a bit disconcerting but I won't mind so much with Mike+Bruce using the Beach Boys name if we are given notice the boys will continue at some point with a new album or a new tour next year. Undecided
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 21, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »

Anyone else find this whole thing fun to watch in spite of it all?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 21, 2012, 03:07:30 PM »

he is also right about wanting to write songs with Brian, as we all love the album, but many songs are JT songs, and Mike longs for some old school family purity; he quite rightly wants more of an "our album" feeling than he, Bruce, Al and Dave were able to achieve on TWG, in which they came late and supplemented, in many cases, existing tracks.

Mike does not deserve in any way to write with Brian. They haven't been a real songwriting team since probably 1967, and if I'm being kind, 1979. Brian might wanna work with him sometimes, but if he doesn't, too bad. Brian is the leader in the studio and the band does what he wants. I'm sure Mike will get to co-write a few songs and that should be enough unless he steps up his lyrical game to the point where maybe Brian would wanna use him on different types of songs.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 21, 2012, 03:20:51 PM »

he is also right about wanting to write songs with Brian, as we all love the album, but many songs are JT songs, and Mike longs for some old school family purity; he quite rightly wants more of an "our album" feeling than he, Bruce, Al and Dave were able to achieve on TWG, in which they came late and supplemented, in many cases, existing tracks.

Mike does not deserve in any way to write with Brian. They haven't been a real songwriting team since probably 1967, and if I'm being kind, 1979. Brian might wanna work with him sometimes, but if he doesn't, too bad. Brian is the leader in the studio and the band does what he wants. I'm sure Mike will get to co-write a few songs and that should be enough unless he steps up his lyrical game to the point where maybe Brian would wanna use him on different types of songs.
Mike is greatly overrated as Brian's song writing partner, he did write some great songs early but time has shown he can't write well anymore. Alot of his song writing credits are sketchy ones from the lawsuit. People forget Brian wrote with a lot of different people in the early years.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 21, 2012, 03:35:48 PM »

I agree to some extent but not to the overly exercised "does not deserve" rhetoric. Mike is not finished, and I like SV just fine. But when I imagine him writing again with Brian, I am hoping for more a "Kiss me baby" level of excellence that what they obtained in BIM and in any of their brief moments of collaboration on TWG. One can be deep and romantic without being dark, and one can write without name checking and without overtly indulgent nostalgia. As the professor once said in a post, Mike can get away with that only once, in the context of a reunion album. Now it's time for actual creativity. Mike has to step up. When I said he was right, I ought to have said that I understand his impulse and ambition; accordingly, I hope, as Mike does, for a magical result from Wilson-Love collaboration. Thank you two for prodding me to clarify. Bottom line is they have to do another album.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 21, 2012, 03:42:57 PM »

Mike could have some decent lyrical talents left, but he chooses instead to stick to using kokomo as blueprint for success. He just doesn't see that song was a fluke success.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: September 21, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »

One can be deep and romantic without being dark, and one can write without name checking and without overtly indulgent nostalgia.

Exactly. The title track is nostalgic and doesn't name check all their old hits, etc. and it works very, very well. And that's why Mike's lyrics on SV and BIM sound even worse, because they are on an album with a song that really does it right.

As the professor once said in a post, Mike can get away with that only once, in the context of a reunion album. Now it's time for actual creativity. Mike has to step up. When I said he was right, I ought to have said that I understand his impulse and ambition; accordingly, I hope, as Mike does, for a magical result from Wilson-Love collaboration.

I agree. For a person who uses the word creativity as much as Mike does he doesn't show very much of it in his recent work.
I'd like to mention again though that I think Mike's greatest talent are hooks and not lyrics.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: September 21, 2012, 04:08:33 PM »

Mike is right about saturation; he is also right about wanting to write songs with Brian, as we all love the album, but many songs are JT songs, and Mike longs for some old school family purity; he quite rightly wants more of an "our album" feeling than he, Bruce, Al and Dave were able to achieve on TWG, in which they came late and supplemented, in many cases, existing tracks.

I just don't agree that he's right about saturation. He's correct in theory, but only based on the assumption that attempting to not oversaturate the name would include NOT touring under the name.

Before the tour started, some media outlets even interviewed tour industry people, whose main deal is simply following tour trends and perception of bands in the industry, etc. I recall one interview where they basically stated that Mike touring as the "Beach Boys" sans numerous surviving original members for 13-plus years, has created a sort of lower value to the band and its brand in the industry. This has a bit less to do with the average Joe who goes to the shows and doesn't know who is who and doesn't care, and a bit more to do with venues and promoters and whatnot. It's not that they haven't been able to get bookings year after year; we know they don't have problems with that. But they have dipped a bit in the last decade or two in terms of the prestige (and sometimes size, and as a result revenue) of some of the venues they play.

To put it another way, if there were no BB shows of any kind after September 28th until the "reunion" lineup reconvened in the summer of, say, 2014, they'd probably sell more tickets than they would or will if Mike tours his BB's in 2013 for over 100 shows.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 21, 2012, 04:48:55 PM »

What the fuck, people.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: September 21, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »

Was just listening to the acapella intro to "Pacific Coast Highway." There. That's why they need to keep working and singing together.  Grin

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 21, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »

I was curious as to the actual number of shows that Mike and Bruce did play over the last couple of years. Anybody have those numbers?

I don't think it will happen, but you know what would be cool? If this incarnation of The Beach Boys got together in December for a short Christmas/holiday tour. I'll bet the wives would like it, too.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #313 on: September 21, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »

I just don't agree that he's right about saturation. He's correct in theory, but only based on the assumption that attempting to not oversaturate the name would include NOT touring under the name.

Before the tour started, some media outlets even interviewed tour industry people, whose main deal is simply following tour trends and perception of bands in the industry, etc. I recall one interview where they basically stated that Mike touring as the "Beach Boys" sans numerous surviving original members for 13-plus years, has created a sort of lower value to the band and its brand in the industry. This has a bit less to do with the average Joe who goes to the shows and doesn't know who is who and doesn't care, and a bit more to do with venues and promoters and whatnot. It's not that they haven't been able to get bookings year after year; we know they don't have problems with that. But they have dipped a bit in the last decade or two in terms of the prestige (and sometimes size, and as a result revenue) of some of the venues they play.

To put it another way, if there were no BB shows of any kind after September 28th until the "reunion" lineup reconvened in the summer of, say, 2014, they'd probably sell more tickets than they would or will if Mike tours his BB's in 2013 for over 100 shows.
Myke Luhv-The King of All Unchecked BB Saturation. (see R&R HOF speech).
Nicko1234
« Reply #314 on: September 21, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »

Exactly. The title track is nostalgic and doesn't name check all their old hits, etc. and it works very, very well. And that's why Mike's lyrics on SV and BIM sound even worse, because they are on an album with a song that really does it right.

It should be remembered though that Brian came up with the titles to those two songs. It would be interesting to see what lyrics Mike would come up with if given a non-surf theme to write about.
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 21, 2012, 07:05:25 PM »

Maybe we will get some more of this great Beach Boys lineup in the future.  Or, maybe Bobby Ewing will simply step out of the shower Grin

Does this mean BW has really been JR all along ?

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 21, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »

So who actually casts the Carl vote these days when it comes to BRI business? Anyone know?
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: September 21, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »

Has anyone seen Al's FB recently (not the fanpage)? He's sharing articles about it and posting stuff like "Let's keep it going" and "Please keep your comments coming if you want the FIVE Beach Boys to keep touring!"

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 21, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »

It would not surprise me if it all goes t!ts-up between Mike and Al within days of the last London gig, if it has not already done so. Sad
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 21, 2012, 10:28:58 PM »

Been posted?  Note the name of the article in the URL:  "beach boys split"  Wink

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/21/showbiz/beach-boys-split/

A blindsided Wilson said, "I'm disappointed and can't understand why he (Love) doesn't want to tour with Al, David and me. We are out here having so much fun. After all, we are the real Beach Boys."
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 21, 2012, 10:38:51 PM »

Don't know if anybody caught this article from the CNN website, but it has a quote from Brian about the whole thing:

"I'm disappointed and can't understand why he (Love) doesn't want to tour with Al, David and me. We are out here having so much fun. After all, we are the real Beach Boys."

It's also mentioned once again that Brian wants to work on a new rock 'n roll album, but that he doesn't know who he's gonna be working with on it, although he hopes it will be The Beach Boys.

I gotta say this is unbelievable that this story has went this far and that Mike hasn't worked something out with Brian and Al and put out a press release saying at the least, "yes, Bruce and I are going to do a few shows as The Beach Boys, but just a really quick little thing before we head back to the studio to work on a new album with Brian, and then hopefully another tour with the Brian, Al, and Dave." Or, if he wants it so, "after our last show in England, I will not be working in the foreseeable future with Brian, Al, and Dave. I thank them for a great time this year but it's time for Bruce and I to hit the road again!"

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/21/showbiz/beach-boys-split/

EDIT: Justin you beat me to it!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 21, 2012, 10:51:08 PM »

The line "After all, we are the real beach boys" strikes me as something the real Brian would never say. Unless I misunderstood the meaning.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2012, 12:08:04 AM »

Mike brought this on himself.

I have no sympathy for the incredible amount of hate he's getting

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 22, 2012, 12:31:19 AM »

There's a strong element of heartbreak about this. What a bummer mood to be hitting London with.

“We live in divisive times.”
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 22, 2012, 12:39:27 AM »

Wouldn't it be great if this was just another trick that all of them are pulling on us again?  Just like Brian did to all of us all last year when he denied that a reunion would happen and how disinterested he was in participating in it?  What if this whole thing about Brian being disappointed is all another act just to get the media and fans off their backs so when they do reform in the future....it'd be another surprise and another huge success because we never thought it'd happen again. 

If this was all just one bit act...I say "bravo." Cool
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 27 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx