gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 07:00:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SUMMER WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE BEACH BOYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR WRAP  (Read 128018 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 03:12:39 PM »

Well, if Brian says he will continue touring with them, then that is prob what happens. Even Myke Luhv wouldn't dare refuse Brian to play in the Beach Boys. That being said there might be a winter break for Brian to come up with new songs and perhaps to plan an alternative set-list which will be slightly different from the 50th anniversary one. Mike Love knows he has no say in the creative process (Beaches In Mind testify to this) so there is not much for him to do this winter but tour with Bruce like usual. Given Brian's comment I would say it is not a far strech to imagine them touring again next summer. Maybe they would do a PS / hits tour or something? maybe an artistic tour? one can never know.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:14:16 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 03:15:09 PM »

Do those Brian comments come from the RS article when this news first dropped a couple of months ago? He gave a similar 'what do you mean we're not touring again?' response.

Yeah I remember those first comments he made when the story first broke and the awkwardness when RS mag told Brian about Mike and Bruce's fall show and Brian didn't know anything about it.  But this new quote where Brian says he wants to tour "indefinitely" I've never heard before.  If it truely is a new, recent quote that is a good sign that in the months that the story first broke, Brian is still optimistic about getting together with Mike in the future.  It's been several months since news of Mike/Bruce's show...no doubt all parties have had conversatins about it.  Hopefully they can regroup again soon.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 03:21:33 PM »

So the reunion is going to end soon, with Brian, David & Al exiting, the box set goes into limbo, and so does the idea of a follow-up album using some of the 16 leftover songs from the recent reunion sessions.

Failing to come through with the box set is unforgivable.
I fear I'm feeding the troll here, but it's not even October, Phil...they've got the whole of October, November and December...that's 3...count 'em...3 whole months left in 2012 for them to come through with the box set !!!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 03:29:15 PM »

Wow, that's eleven people not returning for the next Beach Boys tour.  It's going to be a big disappointment for people who don't really know the behind the scenes of the band who've seen them on this tour and will want to see them again.  They're going to expect a similar show and get something only the slightest bit like what they saw only so recently before.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »

To correct the official statement...Bruce Johnston is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 03:33:51 PM »

Wow, that's eleven people not returning for the next Beach Boys tour.  It's going to be a big disappointment for people who don't really know the behind the scenes of the band who've seen them on this tour and will want to see them again.  They're going to expect a similar show and get something only the slightest bit like what they saw only so recently before.

I really don't think people not in the loop will notice or care.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 03:37:48 PM »

If I get out for a moment of the "make me cool by being cool" fan plea, I must admit 2 things:
1- the M&B show has been great for the last 2-3 years.
2- this reunion tour will increase significantly the audiences for a m&b show.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 03:37:54 PM »

Not to open the old debate about the Beach Boys name rights, but I'm gunna anyway.

The Beach Boys can never be THE Beach Boys without a Wilson. Luhv is irrelevant, and that imposter clown he drags with him doesn't really help. I will never consider Bruce a true Beach Boy, David scores higher in my book. Perhaps even Ricky and Blondie score higher as well as at least they were cool and had good connections with Carl, who was the penultimate Beach Boy.

Imo it would be distasteful of Myke and Bruce to tour under the Beach Boy banner again, especially since Brian (face it, he is the real crowd draw) has made them a sh*t-ton of gold the last year. They should be forever grateful, but maybe they are too proud...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 03:39:30 PM »

Looks like oldsurferdude has gotten to you.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »

I knew this was always in the making, but I think once the touring license is up, its time for Mike and Bruce to retire the BBs name. The whole group can tour with Brian coming in and out as he wants to.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:44:33 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 03:44:28 PM »

I don't really understand the logic though.  If this last tour went over so well and they're all getting along, why not just stay together?

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 03:47:47 PM »

Probably because Mike and Bruce want to tour more frequently than the rest of them.

Jason
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »

Not to open the old debate about the Beach Boys name rights, but I'm gunna anyway.

The Beach Boys can never be THE Beach Boys without a Wilson. Luhv is irrelevant, and that imposter clown he drags with him doesn't really help. I will never consider Bruce a true Beach Boy, David scores higher in my book. Perhaps even Ricky and Blondie score higher as well as at least they were cool and had good connections with Carl, who was the penultimate Beach Boy.

Imo it would be distasteful of Myke and Bruce to tour under the Beach Boy banner again, especially since Brian (face it, he is the real crowd draw) has made them a sh*t-ton of gold the last year. They should be forever grateful, but maybe they are too proud...

Keep drinking that Kool-Aid.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 03:54:15 PM »

But don't they realize how many fans they alienate that way?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 04:01:25 PM »

Permission to say "told ya so" - again.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »

Again? You've been wrong about almost everything related to the reunion from Day 1.
Jason
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »

Again? You've been wrong about almost everything related to the reunion from Day 1.

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »

Imo it would be distasteful of Myke and Bruce to tour under the Beach Boy banner again, especially since Brian (face it, he is the real crowd draw) has made them a sh*t-ton of gold the last year.

Didn't Brian vote FOR Mike & Bruce touring as The Beach Boys?
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2012, 04:27:26 PM »

Probably because Mike and Bruce want to tour more frequently than the rest of them.

Probably Al wants to go back to his ranch and performing with his kids.

I think that this reunion has allowed for future reunions to occur. They got along, had a hit album, played to hundreds of thousands... Can't see this not happening again in the near future. Hey, Mike loves working with Brian; and probably Brian feels the same way towards Mike. Why can't they get together again after this?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2012, 05:01:24 PM »

Mike Love was great during the reunion tour.  He really was.  And Bruce was real good on a song or two. And so was Totten. And Cowsill was fantastic.

But......

No Wilson, no Jardine, no Marks = no Mikie.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »

I think Bruce Johnston is in the Hall of Fame...as is David Marks, if I'm not mistaken. They weren't inducted with the band originally in 1988, but the hall frequently goes back and corrects omissions like that in additional private ceremonies.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »

The Hall of Fame makes dumb omissions like that sometimes.  For instance, Doug Yule wasn't inducted as part of the Velvet Underground which makes no sense.  He was there longer than John Cale and he deserves recognition (even if he is responsible for the "Squeeze" album, which for those who don't know is pretty much the equivalent of the Beach Boys and "Summer in Paradise").

But when I think about it, the five core members were the ones who contributed the most during the peak years (which in my opinion is between 64-67).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 05:36:51 PM »

I don't know why this has to be a "I told ya so and you're an idiot for not knowing this would happen." I for one was fully prepared for the strong liklihood of this happening, but the quality of this tour has changed things for some fans. I think a lot of old, grizzled, skeptical fans who have in the past disapproved of Love's use of the BB name had kind of become resigned to it in more recent years. Then Mike improved his live show, winning over more fans, and then was a huge part of this reunion tour, and then that reunion tour became not just a nice novelty, but an actual kick-ass live show that is amazing regardless of the context of it being a reunion or an anniversary. Mike hasn't been in the good graces of more BB fans this much in decades. Given that, I'm still not surprised that Mike is going back out on his own, not only going back out, but publicizing it in a way that suggests he's not terribly interested in another reunion tour of his magnitude. I'm not surprised, but I think the high quality of this reunion tour has made a lot of even previously jaded and grumpy fans very happy, so now they are more disappointed than they would have been had the reunion never happened.

I think it was Mr. Edelson that posted a really eloquent and to-the-point post a few months ago that really spoke to why Mike shouldn't just revert back to his old tour.

At the same time, everybody should also remember that Mike licenses the name from a group that consists of Brian, Mike, Al, and Carl's estate. I don't know what kind of "votes' have taken place in recent years, but if Al and Brian (and Carl's estate for that matter) both firmly decided they did not want Mike using the name, they could prevent it at some point, whenever the current license is up.

This pseudo-press release about Mike continuing with Bruce and without the other seems much less like a happy announcement, and more like a warning, basically saying "Hey, if you buy Beach Boys tickets for shows after 9/28, this is what you'll be getting."

Whatever you think if Mike continuing with the name, this "announcement' is objectively not something that reflects positively on Mike. Why they also "officially" announced this prior to the end of the reunion shows is also puzzling, as they now open themselves up to awkward questions about why they are going to cheap out on the tour again and have shorter shows, fewer band members (both main members and backing members), and why they are leaving the most well-known member of the band (Brian) and the the guy with the most in-tact voice (Al) behind.

Everything seems pretty muddy. It seems likely that Brian doesn't want to do the type of touring that Mike wants to. It's unclear what Al or David want. But it also doesn't seem like Brian (or Al or David) are ready to just revert to what this was in 2011.

But being saddened about this turn of events doesn't mean one isn't aware of the realities of all of this. It was probably going to happen, and there probably won't be much of any long-term ramifications for Mike and Bruce. Maybe some bad press for a time, maybe a few more confused venues promoting the shows incorrectly, but who knows....

Bleccch. Still hoping we get another album and tour..........
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:40:43 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2012, 05:56:56 PM »

Unless I have got the last 5 months wrong, this has never been billed as a reunion tour by the group, just a 'Celebration' which to me means normal transmission will resume soon.

However I'm willing to bet some time in October we will have a story in a local paper about some dumb@ss who thought he was seeing the celebration Beach Boys rather than the BB Lite version. You just know its going to happen! Thud
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 07:36:44 PM »

yeh, we were expecting something like this, but it's still sort of weird coming on the heels of the reunion.

it's really just a poor business decision overall ... i mean, great in the sense that Mike & Co. can capitalize on the reunion and take home a bunch of extra $$$, but ...

the reunion hoopla is still in full swing with the greatest hits comps, reissues, box set, DVD, whatever may come ... and to go out on a non-50th Anniversary tour while all of these things are being promoted as 50th projects is a PR nightmare.

perhaps, at last, we will see the BB lawsuit to end all lawsuits: 'The Beach Boys' will sue 'The Beach Boys' on the grounds of public confusion with regard to the use of the trademark !

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx