gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:49:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Final Gig: Wembley Arena - London, UK 9/28/12  (Read 103124 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2012, 05:30:15 PM »

STE, now what was the thing you couldn' tell us last night?  Did I miss it?
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2012, 05:35:12 PM »

just got back and i'm drunk and shattered but how motherflippin' good was that?!
Brian beamed with happiness during his performance of 'Heroes and Villains', it was a heartwarming sight to behold.
Wonder how it compared to last night anyone?

Still Lurkin'
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »

did anyone else notice that during wendy on the line "don't believe a word he says", Bruce appeared to point at Mikey?

Still Lurkin'
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »

"Summer's Gone"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CouYoLm68WM

"California Girls"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp2SkDlFniE

"I Get Around"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ADGswfowg
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2012, 07:18:03 PM »

No "Surfin' USA?"

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »

I just had tears go down my face watching that video of "Summer's Gone."  So beautiful.

send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2012, 11:16:50 PM »

That video of Summer's Gone is like the best thing that's ever been ever, hands down.  On so many levels.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Help_Me_Honda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2012, 12:00:46 AM »

Summer's Gone from Soundcheck

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lothario/8034045238/in/photostream

Help_Me_Honda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2012, 12:13:31 AM »

Set list: 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lothario/8034970308/in/photostream

Concert Photos (videos to be uploaded soon - check back often)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lothario/sets/72157631647888752/

Soundcheck Photos (more photos and (videos to be uploaded soon - check back often)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lothario/sets/72157631645809880/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2012, 01:21:51 AM »

No "Surfin' USA?"

Last song pre-encore - set list corrected… apologies, t'were late! Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2012, 01:35:16 AM »

Jesus, that was amazing!

First off, sorry I didn't make it to the green man, our journey took much longer than we thought and we made it to wembley station at about 10 past 7.

But I couldn't have wished for a more wonderful night. My thoughts are still a bit confused. And my voice is shot Smiley posting on my phone right now, so brevity is key. Everybody onstage absolutely slayed it! Have all the love for Al too, he was amazing.

As an aside, I wonder what Mike is thinking when the Pet Sounds tunes get more applause than Kokomo, which completely destroyed the momentum from where I was sitting. Wibn and sloop, gok and I just wasn't made for these times got the biggest cheers of the night!!!

But yes. It felt absolutely beautiful in there. I hope Mikes plans are only temporary....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2012, 02:41:48 AM »

As an aside, I wonder what Mike is thinking when the Pet Sounds tunes get more applause than Kokomo, which completely destroyed the momentum from where I was sitting. Wibn and sloop, gok and I just wasn't made for these times got the biggest cheers of the night!!!

Agreed, Kokomo definitely destroyed the momentum.

Still Lurkin'
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2012, 03:18:56 AM »

What a joy to hear and to behold. Photos will follow.

First off, all the Boys were in good voice. Bruce delivered a lovely Disney Girls, Mike didn't sound especially nasal and he is an excellent front man, Al is just amazing, David was great and Brian.....well he was on it and delivering the goods (and beaming smiles) from the start. Brian during H&V was a sheer joy to see, animated, smiling, singing with gusto and on key, gesticulating all over the place....looked like he was having the time of his life. SOS was another highlight and he says he doesn't like that song.

Wow, must have been at least two and a half hours of music, and barely a duff note from any singer or player.

Highlights for me were H&V with the SMiLE artwork on the big screen, honestly who would have predicted that Brian would sing H&V with the Beach Boys and with that artwork?
Summer's Gone.....man that is a great track live. Actually so is Isn't It Time. When Do It Again opened the concert, the atmosphere was electric...everyone stood as if in reverence for the Beach Boys...and they did not disappoint.

I noticed little talking though there were a few people who left during the quieter numbers (to top up drinks or release fluid).

Sound was good, though not the very best I've heard at a gig. The drums sounded great and every voice was clearly identifiable in the mix.

Oh yes that was a great performance. The Beach Boys may for the most part be in their 70's but they put younger acts to shame. Mike may have sweated a bit and joked about needing an intermission but he was on good voice and an engaging front man all night. Al and Brian also did a good share of introducing songs and commenting on their fellow band members....while Jeff did his usual introduction of the musicians towards the end.

And the material. Mostly 60's classics of course with a few early 70's songs thrown in...and the obligatory Kokomo of course, which to be honest didn't sound too bad.....and then three songs from the new album proving that they've not lost it.

Should they end here? I have a feeling there is more fuel in the tank. They looked like there was fuel left in the tank for more. But it's up to them. If not....for goodness sake Brian and Al do a record together! Otherwise....there is that old saying 'leave them wanting a little more'. If this is the end for this lineup of Beach Boys, they have done us proud and will have exited at the very top of their game.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2012, 03:27:29 AM »

One more thing to add.

There was a *lot* of photography and video-making going on. I shot no video but I can say there is at least one complete audience audio recording of the concert...
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2012, 03:31:31 AM »

Agreed, Kokomo definitely destroyed the momentum.

Yeah, no-one was going for it where I was sitting either.

On the other hand, Al singing the wrong opening line to "Then I Kissed Her" (and having a second go at the end of the song, apparently so he could get closure on it) was a beautiful moment.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2012, 03:40:14 AM »

I still can't believe the Beach Boys performed "Summer's Gone" live these couple of times - I'm so jealous!  We all knew the guys would be putting a little extra into these gigs, but I am just floored with the set lists, reviews and videos that have appeared over the last couple of days.

I'm really happy for every one of us who got to be there live to enjoy two such momentous shows.  And I'm happy that the fellows in the band we're able to enjoy as special of a time as it is clear they had.  They deserve it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2012, 03:48:50 AM »

Crumbs, that was emotional.  Brian smiling at Mike during "Add Some Music" winded me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-B2uZUdEAA

BTW. No teleprompter on Brians piano or is this a poor angle to see it?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2012, 03:55:39 AM »

Crumbs, that was emotional.  Brian smiling at Mike during "Add Some Music" winded me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-B2uZUdEAA

BTW. No teleprompter on Brians piano or is this a poor angle to see it?

I couldn't see it last night....

On the other hand, Al singing the wrong opening line to "Then I Kissed Her" (and having a second go at the end of the song, apparently so he could get closure on it) was a beautiful moment.

I may have it all 'simply' recorded... Here is the whole song, with Al mess up and correction.

http://soundcloud.com/frederickjamesfrench-pounce/then-i-kissed-her-live-at

Also, Here's my Summers Gone video - I think the quality is better than the previous upload, although drums have a significant effect on the sound...: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQigc-3xIbk&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 04:17:30 AM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2012, 05:04:47 AM »

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:06:03 AM by absinthe_boy » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2012, 05:08:56 AM »

Yeah, no-one was going for it where I was sitting either.

Yep! That song was the moment I started blubbing uncontrollably...was all great up til that point as well, but AL JARDINE! Singing lead and sounding exactly like he did in 1965! Getting the lines the wrong way round and going 'oh boy' and laughing...fantastic stuff.

Didn't even think I was going to be able to go...kinda skint (the life of a musician) but a wonderful fellow my girlfriend and I know who's a journalist got some press seats last minute. I was in B3 somewhere or other, though I ended up pretty much at the front when I couldn't find my seat after the interval. Great view for the first four or so songs of part two.

Highlights- well, I enjoyed all the car/surf songs, but I'm all about the sadness. If I had to pick one 'song of the entire show', it'd be Disney Girls. Absolutely fantastic- and THAT was the first song everyone in front of me sat down for...unbelieveable Wink And being 6'4, I couldn't really get away with standing up after that...

Love the way Bruce claps and adjusts his mic stand! Ha! I'd read about it on here and sure enough...constant.

*edit* oh, ps, cool user name by the way, TheydonBois - I was born in Epping, that's just up the road from me!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:05:18 AM by BergenWhitesMoustache » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2012, 05:56:46 AM »

Thanks for the reports and links! You guys sure got a great and historical show!
This would be the perfect time to end it all imo. Summer's gone and so are the Beach Boys...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2012, 06:13:50 AM »

The moment when Denny in heaven (or more likely any other place) thought to himself: "F*** it. That's it. The last show. I know I wanted to stay out of it and not freak Brian out but damn - was I ever able to restrain myself? They'll know it's me. I'm awesome." - and proceeded to spiritually transfer his mojo into an unsuspecting Scott Bennett. The rest is history.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:41:26 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2012, 06:32:25 AM »

Scott Bennet channelling the spirit of Dennis Wilson....I like that idea Smiley

And Brian did look a little spooked. Maybe he was worried Scotty would break the piano?
Bhw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2012, 07:05:16 AM »

"Summer's gone and so are the Beach Boys..."

Please... NO!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »

The moment when Denny in heaven (or more likely any other place) thought to himself: "F*** it. That's it. The last show. I know I wanted to stay out of it and not freak Brian out but damn - was I ever able to restrain myself? They'll know it's me. I'm awesome." - and proceeded to spiritually transfer his mojo into an unsuspecting Scott Bennett. The rest is history.

Just as I suspected...Scott Bennett has Beach Boys Fever...and he's got it bad!!! LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx