gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:46:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reading 50 Sides of the Beach Boys (my thoughts)  (Read 4835 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2012, 06:27:24 AM »

I really enjoy this book so far. I am up to Keepin the Summer Alive. Some very interesting stuff in here. One part that I particularly liked was how Sean O'Hagan the High Llamas producer said that there were a lot of young men in their teens and 20s in the late 90s who like indie music and love the Beach Boys 66-73 material. I am one of those guys! Smiley  There were actually thoughts of him producing the Beach Boys next album! Wow, imagine that! Instead, Brian wasn't up for the task at the time. But I would say that Brian's solo career went in that direction with the Wondermints and co. with TLOS and Gershwin.

Anyways, a great read! I'd love to hear what sticks out to other people here.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:43:59 PM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
oldsurferdude
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:06:40 AM »

Based on what Sean told me, it might be a good idea to ask Myke Luhv himself. Transcendental Meditation
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:41:31 AM »

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII HEARD That!!!!!!!!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »

The Sean O'Hagan/Beach Boys story is a strange one.  Instead of making a record with him, they made Stars and Stripes.  Go figure.  Roll Eyes
http://uncanny1.blogspot.com/2005/05/brian-wilsonandy-paleysean-ohagan.html

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »

Dude...you got the title wrong.

Fifty Sides of the Beach Boys: The Songs that Tell Their Story
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 08:50:20 PM »

Well, I guess I was too lazy to go upstairs to check the title when I typed this thing Tongue
I will correct it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:52:14 PM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 04:27:57 AM »

Anyways, a great read! I'd love to hear what sticks out to other people here.

I'm lovin' this book - it's contents exceeded my intitial exceptations and I'm in awe of how much detail Mark crammed into this tome.

Mark has done a great job of encapsulating the history of the band and their output by cleverly focusing on "a" song but stretching each chapter by discussing the broader recording sessions and albums from where the "sides" originate.  He deftly relays key historical events and contextualises the music via insightful analysis without sacrificing accessibility or trowelling on hyperbole.

Mark's great achievement is mixing up his interviewees and not solely focusing on HUGE industry names or immediate BB peers.  It's great to hear from guys like Dennis Diken and Adam Marsland, who are not only representative of the high standard of musicans queried, but provide great insight as fans; which provides discussion and gushy moments we  can all identify with and relate to.

I also really enjoyed the following "fan" chapters:

- Scott Totten on Sloop John B - it was fascinating to read about his meticulous and reverent approach to song arrangement for the 50th Tour

- Carnie Wilson on Our Prayer - yes, the great man's daughter is probably going to tend towards the glowing side; but her comments here, combined with Carnie's comments in the latest ESQ, prove her love and deep appreciation for weightier material

- Great stuff, as always, from Stebbins, Boyd and Beard add to the good times found here.

My favourite chapter is Steve Levine on Getcha Back - most tomes I've read tend to gloss over BB85 and blame it on the digital thing, so this is a great opportunity to get some insights into how this album came together.  It's not my favourite album, but  I certainly have a better appreciation of Steve Levine's and the BB's intentions as a result of reading this chapter.

As with any book, one may have a minor quibble or 2, but what the hey - I'm having a great time reading and rereading this one and it's a cool way to help refresh and reflect on what we've been priviledged to behold over the last 50ish years.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:51:30 AM »

Well, I guess I was too lazy to go upstairs to check the title when I typed this thing Tongue
I will correct it.

you corrected it just for this post, haha

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 02:52:40 PM »

OK, corrected twice...  Smiley

A great idea for a book masterfully executed by Mr. Dillon. A few quibbles in terms of song selection, but there are just too many songs to choose from...fifty just isn't enough!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »

No, you have to edit the original post

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 06:45:28 PM »

No, you have to edit the original post

Ha! It took me a while, but I figured it out. Smiley 

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 10:21:21 PM »

If you haven't read the book GET it!

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 07:27:01 AM »

If you haven't read the book GET it!

YES!  I absolutely LOVED this book.  He tells the story of the band through the songs...bringing it all (the songs and the band's history) to life.  I've learned little details that I've never heard before...and for the obsessive...that kind of stuff is incredible to read. 

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 08:13:49 AM »

I am almost done with it. I like it when Beach Boys books delve into things that rarely get delved into. To hear high praise on Johnny Carson was great. Hardly ever hear that one discussed even on this board. Also BB85. Thinking of that album in the context of new wave makes sense. Also the Carl Wilson track Keepin the Summer Alive is a rocking track that is under appreciated.

Thanks Mark Dillon!

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 10:05:20 AM »

It did give me a new perspective into BB85.  For years...I didn't really listen to it because I wrote it off as sounding dated.  I gave it another listen after reading this book...and yes...it does have a definite 1980's sound to it...but it WAS recorded in the 1980's...and once you can get past that you'll find a very enjoyable LP.  I've been listening to it on a pretty regular basis.  The songs are strong.  The singing is strong and the harmonies are great.

I think too often books about the band have spent more time on their personal issues...which are interesting...but I've always wanted to know more about the music: the inspirations...the recordings...stuff like that.  I love hearing the little details that maybe might cause me to see something in a different light. 

Mark Dillon gets a HUGE thumbs up from me for taking a different approach to writing about the band.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »

Loving the book. Raking my time reading it though, don't feel rushed. Nicely paced.

“We live in divisive times.”
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »

I must get this - and I know a couple of my friends will really appreciate it this Christmas!

Honk! Honk!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 06:51:40 AM »

At first I was baffled by the choice of Brian discussing a Gershwin song. Then I remembered that he did a Gershwin album lol! 

But yeah, this book went into a lot of things I had never heard before. Getting more into eras that only get discussed in terms of the problems with drugs/band fighting/Landy. Its nice to read about the music instead.

BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 09:27:33 AM »

Agreed that this is a good book to read; provides some interesting insights, stories, and comments. Enjoyable.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »

At first I was baffled by the choice of Brian discussing a Gershwin song. Then I remembered that he did a Gershwin album lol! 
You "remembered"?  Undecided It's such a great LP and so BW...

I GOT RHYTHM
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 02:14:14 PM »

You "remembered"?  Undecided It's such a great LP and so BW...

I GOT RHYTHM

I know. The album is excellent. I can't believe it slipped my mind!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx