gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:54:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's back to work  (Read 16855 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 06:19:41 PM »

I'm guessing they're just touching up vocals for a live album or video from the tour...
Nope, those things are done quietly. They wouldn't promote it as "something's going on here...".   Grin

P.S. Recordings featuring Brian, Jeff and Darian are happening at Ocean Way, by the way.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:23:22 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 06:29:19 PM »

It's The McCartney tribute album.

Don't get your hopes up  Undecided

I don't know, I think that's pretty exciting if that's the case.  I wonder which song he's recording.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »

Hoping it's Monkberry Moon Delight.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »

Back Seat of My Car would be pretty legit.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 09:06:59 PM »

Brian doing Monkberry Moon Delight would be crazy!  Cheesy
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 09:20:36 PM »

Brian doing Monkberry Moon Delight would be crazy!  Cheesy

If it is the Macca tribute, realistically it's probably either "She's Leaving Home" or "Let It Be", because those are 2 songs Brian has seemed to mention a bit. And I really don't have any desire to hear current day Brian singing those songs, regardless of how much of a fan of Sir Paul as I am.

I would prefer if this was ultimately for a Beach Boys album, but I just don't get the feeling that another one is gonna happen. And as crazy as it woulda sounded a year ago, it seems Brian wants to work more with the group, but Mike and tea bag Brucie apparently don't wanna do any more gosh darned new stuff! They wanna milk the hits! But whatever. Even though a new Beach Boys album sounds way more enticing than a new BW album to me, I'd happily listen to some new BW tunes any way I can get them.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 09:24:06 PM »

Back Seat of My Car would be pretty legit.

THAT would be amazing.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 09:40:04 PM »

Brian doing Monkberry Moon Delight would be crazy!  Cheesy

If it is the Macca tribute, realistically it's probably either "She's Leaving Home" or "Let It Be", because those are 2 songs Brian has seemed to mention a bit. And I really don't have any desire to hear current day Brian singing those songs, regardless of how much of a fan of Sir Paul as I am.

I would prefer if this was ultimately for a Beach Boys album, but I just don't get the feeling that another one is gonna happen. And as crazy as it woulda sounded a year ago, it seems Brian wants to work more with the group, but Mike and tea bag Brucie apparently don't wanna do any more gosh darned new stuff! They wanna milk the hits! But whatever. Even though a new Beach Boys album sounds way more enticing than a new BW album to me, I'd happily listen to some new BW tunes any way I can get them.

Did Mike and Bruce say no to doing new stuff?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:56:32 PM by 18thofMay » Logged

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 10:40:28 PM »

I'd like to hear Brian do Let Me Roll It.  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »

Brian doing Monkberry Moon Delight would be crazy!  Cheesy

Did Mike and Bruce say no to doing new stuff?

No, but it seems obvious to me that they are both much more comfortable in the scaled down half-assed version of The Beach Boys, and while I think Mike was happy to be back with Brian, I think he also realized he would rather have full control and just play the hits and not have to worry about compromise. I'm not a Mike hater by the way, but it was obvious from that Billboard interview he did from a view months ago, that as great as it is to have the group back in the public eye, I think it pains him to spend all this money on putting on these shows with Brian and whatnot, when he knows he can still sell as "The Beach Boys" without all the other guys and probably take home more money. I just don't see  a new album with the group happening if Mike and Bruce are gonna be touring as "The Beach Boys" all the time again. I mean, it'd be cool if once again Brian and co. laid down the tracks and whatnot and had the guys come in to work on stuff, but I just don't know if that's gonna happen in 2013.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 12:09:31 AM »

Realistically, if Brian comes to Capitol (or anyone) with another solo album, you know the label will look at the respective chart positions of "Radio" and "Lucky Old Sun" and say "That's nice, but can you get the boys on there?"

Think Lindsey Buckingham and what became the last Fleetwood Mac album...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 12:25:06 AM »

No, but it seems obvious to me that they are both much more comfortable in the scaled down half-assed version of The Beach Boys, and while I think Mike was happy to be back with Brian, I think he also realized he would rather have full control and just play the hits and not have to worry about compromise. I'm not a Mike hater by the way, but it was obvious from that Billboard interview he did from a view months ago, that as great as it is to have the group back in the public eye, I think it pains him to spend all this money on putting on these shows with Brian and whatnot, when he knows he can still sell as "The Beach Boys" without all the other guys and probably take home more money. I just don't see  a new album with the group happening if Mike and Bruce are gonna be touring as "The Beach Boys" all the time again. I mean, it'd be cool if once again Brian and co. laid down the tracks and whatnot and had the guys come in to work on stuff, but I just don't know if that's gonna happen in 2013.

I think you're coming to a falsely pessimistic conclusion - I don't think Mike is motivated first and foremost by money, I think he's just gotta be out on stage.  He's been doing it since he was a teenager and well, what else would he do?  Mike Love will be touring as the Beach Boys until he dies, because that's what Mike Love does.  Brian, on the other hand, likes vacations, resting, and working at his own pace.  I think we'll get another Beach Boys album; while Mike and Bruce are off touring, Brian will take a few months off, maybe write a few songs, think about going down to the studio once or twice maybe, and when he's got a new Beach Boys album worked out in a couple of years (and it will be a couple of years at least. Think about the gaps between Brian's solo albums, not to mention the fact that a normal release schedule for bands these days seems to be an album every few years) he'll call the guys and they'll get back together.  So yea, Mike and Bruce are going to go off touring, but I doubt any of them ever planned to jump right back into the studio as soon as the tour was over as if it was still 1965!  With patience, and a bit of luck, I think the boys may still have a lot to offer though, and I highly doubt that Mike would get in the way of a new album if Brian wants to do it.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 12:52:13 AM »

Mike has stated that they *are* going to look at recording more of Brian's 'new' material and see where it goes.

Mike Love has done a lot of dumb things down the years but I've always had the impression that if Brian called him and said "Hey Mike, I've got these great songs I want you to hear"...that he'd be in a studio as soon as he could.
Nicko1234
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 02:24:08 AM »

No, but it seems obvious to me that they are both much more comfortable in the scaled down half-assed version of The Beach Boys

More comfortable or just realistic?

I`m sure that if Brian and his management had agreed to go out on dozens more dates that Mike and Bruce would have been happy to play in front of much larger audiences. However everyone has always said that the reunion tour could only run for a limited length of time so Mike presumably was left with the option of staying at home or continuing to use the name. There was never any chance that he would stay at home.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 02:51:44 AM »

Even though a new Beach Boys album sounds way more enticing than a new BW album to me...
For me it's the other way around. I've enjoyed Brian's last couple of solo LPs way more than TWGMTR (which still is a neat album). I'm excited for anything new out of Brian's camp. Even if it means Brian doing his favourite songs from Spongebob Squarepants. Man, that'd be amazing!  3D
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 03:36:56 AM »

NO MORE COVER ALBUMS FROM BRIAN.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 05:01:19 AM »

I haven't hear anything about a McCartney tribute album, is Brian contributing one track? Hope it's a solo track and not a Beatles track...
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 05:04:41 AM »

Recording vocals for BRiAN WiLSON Presents NORBiT.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 05:20:38 AM »

I haven't hear anything about a McCartney tribute album, is Brian contributing one track? Hope it's a solo track and not a Beatles track...
It was announced a couple of months ago. As usual on such tribute CDs Brian is going to cover a McCartney song. Anything else would be a surprise.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2012, 06:26:52 AM »

How I wish he would cover either 'Here There and Everywhere' or 'For No One'.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 06:31:31 AM »

Maybe if he covered this?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJSztSTErus

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2012, 06:33:34 AM »

He should snort some Adderall, dust off his Moog, and cover "Temporary Secretary" for 12 minutes as the album closer!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2012, 06:36:04 AM »

No, but it seems obvious to me that they are both much more comfortable in the scaled down half-assed version of The Beach Boys, and while I think Mike was happy to be back with Brian, I think he also realized he would rather have full control and just play the hits and not have to worry about compromise.

Setlist from 5/2/09: non hits highlighted.

1. Surfin’ Safari
2. Catch a Wave
3. Hawaii

4. Little Honda
5. Do It Again
6. Surf City
7. Surfin’ USA
8. Surfer Girl
9. Don’t Worry Baby
10. Little Deuce Coupe
11. 409
12. Little Old Lady from Pasadena
13. Shut Down
14. I Get Around
15. Ballad of Ole Betsy
16. Getcha Back
17. Darlin’
18. Be True To Your School
19. Heroes and Villains
20. Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
21. In My Room
22. Cool Head, Warm Heart
23. God Only Knows
24. California Girls
25. Then I Kissed Her
26. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
27. Why Do Fools Fall In Love
28. California Dreamin’
29. Sloop John B.
30. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
31. Kokomo
32. Help Me Rhonda
33. Rock N Roll Music
34. Good Vibrations

Encore
35. Barbara Ann
36. Fun, Fun, Fun

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 06:44:11 AM »

NO MORE COVER ALBUMS FROM BRIAN.

Yeah, well, I'm personally looking very forward to Brian Wilson Reimagines Antichrist Superstar.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2012, 06:47:12 AM »

Brian Wilson - In The Key of Slayer

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx