gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680882 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 10:43:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys should've become a punk band  (Read 7147 times)
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2006, 01:14:20 PM »

After Endless Summer made them famous for their early hits again, they should've taken a cue from the Ramones and just played those hits louder and faster. That would have been amazing. Listening to Be True To Your School live in 1964 confrims that the sound and energy were there, they just needed to have the delivery changed to more distorted guitars. This way, Brian's gruff voice would have fit in, and they could have been cool (or at least pretended to be and failed miserably).

Watch out for snakes!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 01:22:42 PM »

Totally agree. BTTYS and USA from Sacramento are purely Ramones.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 01:27:24 PM »

Dude Mitchell.........

I was trying to convince my little brother that the Beach Boys could have been a hard rock band. I used that same Be True To Your school as an example. Carls guitar sounds totally punk, its bad ass. lol
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 03:26:06 PM »

The Ramones were in fact influenced very much by the Beach Boys. They even covered "Surfin' Safari" and "Surf City". I even heard that they started out as a Beach Boys-cover-band, but I don't know if this is true.
And those Sacramento-concerts from '64 and the T.A.M.I.-show-performance could easily be described as punk imo, not least thanks to Dennis (and Brian; compare those performances to the ones in Michigan which were to years later but without Brian, and which sound very lame). 

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 03:45:11 PM »

Ever hear "Heroes and Villains" covered by The Apples In Stereo?  That's very punk rock. The way that song is performed by Brian's band now, and the Beach Boys of their touring set is very tame compared to how it was intended to be. Remember that, "Greatest rock and roll single of all time" tag some journalist called the song after having Brian play it for him?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 04:29:38 PM »

Remember that, "Greatest rock and roll single of all time" tag some journalist called the song after having Brian play it for him?

No....

But I can understand that someone would call it that....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 04:31:24 PM »

Remember that, "Greatest rock and roll single of all time" tag some journalist called the song after having Brian play it for him?

No....

But I can understand that someone would call it that....

Brian played it on the piano, banging away on the chords. I THINK it's the version we have on Endless Harmony.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 04:59:37 PM »

Yea the version on Endless Harmony is indeed the version he played for Humble Harv, who was the one who said "that's gonna be the greatest song anyone's ever heard". 
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 06:39:14 PM »

Yea the version on Endless Harmony is indeed the version he played for Humble Harv, who was the one who said "that's gonna be the greatest song anyone's ever heard". 

I agree with him too. The ambituous montage of sound which was supposed to be "Heroes and Villains" turned into a pityful, watered down peice of music. We've all heard those AMAZING pieces recorded which were to fit with the song --- truly REVOLUTIONARY things in the music scene of 1967 ---- would've THROWN the Beach Boys into the most groundbreaking spot avaiable in music.

Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 05:39:29 AM »

If you listen to the bass in "Catch A Wave" it's a pure Punk riff.What a cool idea if there was a  Tribute CD of beach Boy songs made Punk!!!
Big Bri
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 08:00:50 AM »

there is a sort of insider conection between the Ramones and the Beachboys....Joey was a big fan, and friend of Ronnie Spector and he did a duet with her on the Rainbows EP ...the same one where she finally did her cover of Don't Worry Baby.

We could do a musical six degrees of Brian Wilson the influences were so wide spread and far reaching....
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 08:41:30 AM »

The Ramones were never a Beach Boys cover band, but Joey Ramone made a career out of re-writing Little Honda countless times over.  That's not a dig either - I love the Ramones first 5 or so albums! They totally got it- plus Denny's live drumming in the early years was very proto-Ramones: keep time and attack with all the adrenaline your youth can provide!

Dean
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 09:05:35 AM »

Yeah, we need a punk version of Surfer Girl or Lonely Sea or something...

Actually, if those exists, please PM a copy, that'd be hilarious.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 11:23:23 AM »

I do know the Descendents did a pretty cool punk version of Wendy 15 or 20 years ago, and The Cynics did a killer version of "Be True To Your School" about 15 years ago as well...

Dean
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 12:33:56 PM »

Pennywise did I Get Around.

Watch out for snakes!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 02:14:14 PM »

Blind Guardian did "Surfin' USA" and "Barbara Ann"

- Jack Rieley
mike8902
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 06:28:01 PM »

Yo La Tengo covers little honda

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 01:57:41 PM »

Yeah, we need a punk version of Surfer Girl or Lonely Sea or something...

Actually, if those exists, please PM a copy, that'd be hilarious.

How about "Good vibrations" ?  Grin  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT2HQx6zIT4&search=beach%20boys

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 01:31:19 AM »

One of the worst covers of any song I've ever heard.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 07:24:23 AM »

Besides "I Get Around", Pennywise also did "Surfin' USA".

Me First & The Gimme Gimmes did a great cover of "Sloop John B"

The Queers actually did three Beach Boys songs: "Little Honda", "Don't Back Down" and "Hawaii".
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 02:14:29 AM »

After Endless Summer made them famous for their early hits again, they should've taken a cue from the Ramones and just played those hits louder and faster. That would have been amazing. Listening to Be True To Your School live in 1964 confrims that the sound and energy were there, they just needed to have the delivery changed to more distorted guitars. This way, Brian's gruff voice would have fit in, and they could have been cool (or at least pretended to be and failed miserably).
when you think about it the ramones sorta picked up where the BBs left off in the mid 70s and its been said b4 and bares reiterarion- the love you album was punk in the sense that it was raw strip down rock and the last quality album the BBs did period.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 08:36:08 AM »

Pretty old thread, but I'd like to point out that the first guitar on "Little Honda" is a pure punk guitar. I'd like to be able to mix that recording with that guitar more up front.

Hey, is that Carol Kaye on bass? Grin That must be the version she remembers playing on! Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:38:58 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 08:37:23 AM »

Thinking of the latter 70s songs (post Endless Summer), there's definitely some material that could have gone punk with the way their vocals were and the production value, songs like:
Let Us Go On This Way
Palisades Park
Sea Cruise
Friday Night
Mona
Almost Summer
Shortnin Bread (of course!)
Everybody Wants to Live
Rollin up to Heaven
What's Wrong
She's Got Rhythm
They're Marching Along
He's a Bum
Hey Little Tomboy (maybe it'd fit in better?)
Roller Skating Child
Under the Moonlight
We Gotta Groove
Ding Dang
Match point of Our Love
School Girl

Maybe these aren't the right type of tunes, I'm not a huge punk nut, but I was trying to hear these tunes in my head in a punk vibe...but in my opinion, these types of songs/lyrics would rock in a punk way.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:38:20 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 09:44:20 AM »

"Love You" seems very punk, in a very weird way.instead of heavy guitars we get heavy fart  synths,, Cool Guy Raspy cigarette voices with strange lyrics and fart synths, it's the beach boys version of punk...lol
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 09:51:19 AM »

Thinking of the latter 70s songs (post Endless Summer), there's definitely some material that could have gone punk with the way their vocals were and the production value, songs like:
Let Us Go On This Way
Palisades Park
Sea Cruise
Friday Night
Mona
Almost Summer
Shortnin Bread (of course!)
Everybody Wants to Live
Rollin up to Heaven
What's Wrong
She's Got Rhythm
They're Marching Along
He's a Bum
Hey Little Tomboy (maybe it'd fit in better?)
Roller Skating Child
Under the Moonlight
We Gotta Groove
Ding Dang
Match point of Our Love
School Girl

Maybe these aren't the right type of tunes, I'm not a huge punk nut, but I was trying to hear these tunes in my head in a punk vibe...but in my opinion, these types of songs/lyrics would rock in a punk way.

You forgot the most punk song the BBs ever recorded  Grin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS_uO7hVOn8
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx