gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:29:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1973 Carl/Billy/Ricky band?  (Read 4146 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »

So, for an unrelated reason yesterday I was in the library searching through old copies of Creem magazine. In the August 1973 issue, I saw a tiny blurb:

"Those rumors about a Beach Boys breakup may hold some water. That latest story has Carl Wilson splitting to form a band with Billy Hinsche and Ricky Fataar, and it known that not long after Fataar and Blondie Chaplin joined the Beach Boys, Carl made tentative inquiries into the possibilities of a tour involving just the three of them."

obviously, it didn't happen... but does anyone know any more about it?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:10:48 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »

That's a strange one.  Wasn't Carl the one trying to replace Bruce with Billy in the late 60s?

Honk! Honk!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if the the most progressive member (and leader) of the band would replace the band's dullest and most conservative member.

Bruce obviously hated the counterculture with all his heart. Who the f*** would want to go back to 1957 after experiencing the 60's? He was an utter disaster when it came to picking a permanent replacement to Brian. When he came up with The Nearest Faraway Place that shoulda been finito for that guy. Wonder why Dennis didn't pester him more than he pestered Mike....
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if the the most progressive member (and leader) of the band would replace the band's dullest and most conservative member.

Bruce obviously hated the counterculture with all his heart. Who the f*** would want to go back to 1957 after experiencing the 60's? He was an utter disaster when it came to picking a permanent replacement to Brian. When he came up with The Nearest Faraway Place that shoulda been finito for that guy. Wonder why Dennis didn't pester him more than he pestered Mike....

Interesting post- I would like to learn more about the Dennis-Bruce dynamics within the band. From what I guess, Bruce was more of a "square" when it came to music but still had a wild side off the stage. Bruce has said very nice tings about Dennis over the years so I imagine they had a pretty good relationship for at least a period of time.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »

My vibe is that Bruce had a better rapport with Dennis than with Carl. Ever sense any true warmth between Bruce and Carl?
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »

Speaking of that, I herd back in 70 or in 71, Marc Bolan almost got into a fight with Bruce, and Marc went out say "You Not A F**cking real Beach boy" Or something at that matter.

Anyhow it would've been cool if Carl did his own band.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:50:30 PM by Greetings from NY » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 06:48:41 PM »

Speaking of that, I herd back in 70 or in 71, Marc Bolan almost got into a fight with Bruce, and Marc went out say "You Not A F**cking real Beach boy" Or something at that matter.

Any-how it would've been cool if Carl did his own band.

Marc Bolan is an american hero for saying that. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 06:54:14 PM »

Further more, he's pretty much like Mike (Bruce), A pretty decent song-writer but bit of a douche lol
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »

Least Mike is honest in being a jerk, Bruce isn't with his nice guy act.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »

I don't know if Bruce HATED the counterculture but he wasn't exactly the counterculture type. Still, look at pictures of him in early 1972 around the time Blondie and Ricky joined. He had probably the longest hair in the band!

I think time has proven that his indifference towards the counterculture was probably well-placed. I think the counterculture was just a bunch of nonsense, and as soon as the camel back-breaking straw happened, it would fizzle out.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »

I think time has proven that his indifference towards the counterculture was probably well-placed. I think the counterculture was just a bunch of nonsense, and as soon as the camel back-breaking straw happened, it would fizzle out.
Ouch. Seeing that statement attached to that username made my skin crawl.
Jason
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 09:25:05 PM »

Sorry for not treading the PC line. Tongue
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 11:24:53 PM »

I sometimes wish Carl, Ricky and Blondie had formed their own group. Carl and The Flame duo were in the same musical headspace at the time and would have no doubt made some good albums by themselves, while the BB's as a creative enity were done after Holland.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 11:42:50 PM »

Interesting post- I would like to learn more about the Dennis-Bruce dynamics within the band. From what I guess, Bruce was more of a "square" when it came to music but still had a wild side off the stage. Bruce has said very nice tings about Dennis over the years so I imagine they had a pretty good relationship for at least a period of time.

It must have been pretty good at some points. If Bruce didn't TEACH Dennis to play the piano in 1966, he at least made him a a more accomplished player, leading to the "God Bless You Bruce" acknowledgement on Pacific Ocean Blue.

And of course, Dennis brought in Bruce to sing on "End of the Show."
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 06:02:55 AM »

Least Mike is honest in being a jerk, Bruce isn't with his nice guy act.

I think that was proven after what he said about Obama lol
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »

I deeply appreciate your heartfelt apology.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 10:59:14 PM »

Hate to break it to you mate, but the counterculture won the big battle -- beforehand you had the Shirelles turning down "He's A Rebel" cause the whole idea of endorsing a rebel was just too edgy, now everyone's a nonconformist.  They didn't get a world of peace and love, a lot of what they said got co-opted and neutered along the way, but I shudder to think just how confining the world would be without the idea of living an alternative life...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 11:03:37 PM »

BTW, isn't Carl, Billy, and Ricky the lineup backing Dennis on the basic track of "River Song", "Rainbows", and a couple of other POB tracks?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 05:32:42 PM »

BTW, isn't Carl, Billy, and Ricky the lineup backing Dennis on the basic track of "River Song", "Rainbows", and a couple of other POB tracks?

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Yeah, more or less...all 3 of them (plus Ed Carter playing bass) are on "River Song".  I think Ricky and Carl are on "Rainbows" and "Pacific Ocean Blues".  Carl and Billy turn up in a few other places.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx