gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:49:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another UK Appearance - Later On Jools Holland BBC TV  (Read 36465 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »

I'd take a Brian/Lydon duet/collaboration over Brian working with the Paul McCartney's of this world any day of the week.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »

I'd take a Brian/Lydon duet/collaboration over Brian working with the Paul McCartney's of this world any day of the week.

Yep do very much agree with that  , as I previously said 'Funky Pretty Vacant' and 'God Surf The Queen' etc...... and of course the legendary album 'Never Mind The Bollocks Here's Summer In Paradise'

Must say that PiL ( there you go again , a little i in the title of something ) were great on Jools even if their guitarist is possibly one of the strangest looking dudes ever
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2012, 07:56:14 PM »

Just a heads-up for those here in the States...

Palladia will show the Beach Boys recent appearance on Later with Jools Holland (actually their 2nd, "Thursday performance" from the show) starting on Thursday Nov. 1st at 10pm eastern. It will then run a few more times, after that, over the next several days. It's a one-hour slot.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2012, 07:59:20 PM »

Just a heads-up for those here in the States...

Palladia will show the Beach Boys recent appearance on Later with Jools Holland (actually their 2nd, "Thursday performance" from the show) starting on Thursday Nov. 1st at 10pm eastern. It will then run a few more times, after that, over the next several days. It's a one-hour slot.

Thanks, I was actually wondering if it was going to be on Palladia!

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2013, 05:32:09 PM »

OK, so I just saw the BBs episode on Palladia for the first time.  Majorly bummed, as it appears they sliced 15 out of the show, including the two "new" songs, and any interview they may have done...does this usually happen with Palladia rebroadcasts, or only the Boys'?
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2013, 07:09:42 PM »

OK, so I just saw the BBs episode on Palladia for the first time.  Majorly bummed, as it appears they sliced 15 out of the show, including the two "new" songs, and any interview they may have done...does this usually happen with Palladia rebroadcasts, or only the Boys'?

The syndicated US Palladia rebroadcasts of the extended, taped version (and, IIRC, the now defunct US airings on Ovation and Fuse) are all slotted in a one-hour block, *including* commercials. So, yes, they're cut for every episode, as I believe the BBC runs that original 60 minute, extended version pretty much straight through. Right, UK'ers?

But, here's the weird part: I caught one of the early Palladia airings, and they showed Isn't It Time, Barbara Ann (w/ short interview) and Heroes and Villains! Also, that abbreviated, instrumental-only version of Surfin' USA that opened the show. Thus, are you saying that they re-cut that Palladia version? Very strange if so!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: June 07, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »

OK, so I just saw the BBs episode on Palladia for the first time.  Majorly bummed, as it appears they sliced 15 out of the show, including the two "new" songs, and any interview they may have done...does this usually happen with Palladia rebroadcasts, or only the Boys'?

The syndicated US Palladia rebroadcasts of the extended, taped version (and, IIRC, the now defunct US airings on Ovation and Fuse) are all slotted in a one-hour block, *including* commercials. So, yes, they're cut for every episode, as I believe the BBC runs that original 60 minute, extended version pretty much straight through. Right, UK'ers?

But, here's the weird part: I caught one of the early Palladia airings, and they showed Isn't It Time, Barbara Ann (w/ short interview) and Heroes and Villains! Also, that abbreviated, instrumental-only version of Surfin' USA that opened the show. Thus, are you saying that they re-cut that Palladia version? Very strange if so!

Yes, no Isn't It Time this time.  Jools talked to the guys but I don't know if I'd call it an interview...Mike answered one question, and I think that was it.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »

Yes, no Isn't It Time this time.  Jools talked to the guys but I don't know if I'd call it an interview...Mike answered one question, and I think that was it.

Wow, that's bizarre. Did they sub-in one of the other songs from the original live show in its place (e.g. Do It Again)?

I guess I'll have to look out for future re-airings, as I always ignored them after that early one I caught.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »

Wow, they did "Do It Again" on Later?  How many songs did they actually play there?  All that were on last night's rebroadcast were the opening "Surfin' USA", "Barbara Ann", and "Heroes and Villains".  Unless I missed something, but I doubt it.  I have it recorded, and intend to check back.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2013, 04:53:56 PM »

Wow, they did "Do It Again" on Later?  How many songs did they actually play there?  All that were on last night's rebroadcast were the opening "Surfin' USA", "Barbara Ann", and "Heroes and Villains".  Unless I missed something, but I doubt it.  I have it recorded, and intend to check back.

"Do It Again" was performed on the original Tuesday, live version of the BBC show. It wasn't shown on the extended taped version that ran on the following Friday.

Going back in the thread, it appears it was:

9/25/2012 - 30 min. live version:

Do It Again
Barbara Ann
TWGMTR

9/28/2012 - 60 min. extended (taped) version:

Isn't It Time
Barbara Ann (alternate version IIRC??)
TWGMTR (alternate version)
Heroes and Villains

EDIT: And that abbreviated, opening instrumental version of Surfin' USA, as well, of course.  Smiley

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:02:18 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2013, 09:10:31 PM »

OK, I'm a doofus...I just watched last night's rebroadcast, and sure enough they did "Isn't It Time".  Not sure how I missed that!  But no "TWGMTR".
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 08, 2013, 09:25:50 PM »

OK, I'm a doofus...I just watched last night's rebroadcast, and sure enough they did "Isn't It Time".  Not sure how I missed that!  But no "TWGMTR".

No problem at all - thanks for the update!  At the very least, we can rest assure that we saw the same show edit. Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2013, 05:08:42 AM »

I know that back then I saw everything (thanks to youtube). But an "opening Surfin' USA instrumental" is new to me. Were Dave and Al playing or was it only the band?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »

I know that back then I saw everything (thanks to youtube). But an "opening Surfin' USA instrumental" is new to me. Were Dave and Al playing or was it only the band?

The whole band, including Dave, Al, Brian, Bruce, and Mike (although Mike wasn't playing anything, he was there on the stage with the rest).  Opening guitar intro courtesy Scott Totten.  In usual Jools fashion, the camera panned to the other stages, where the other guest bands played along (yes, including PIL).
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2014, 02:08:46 PM »

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but at the end of Barbara Ann someone sings a few notes of falsetto. In the past I had assumed this was Jeff as it is very strong. But I watched again today and it's Al. Just a neat fact!
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2020, 07:05:34 AM »

I was there on the day, stood behind Brian with Johnny Rotten to my side!

Kept video from the performances too: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27066.0.html
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 07:06:50 AM by UEF » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx