gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:32:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sinatra!  (Read 12394 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 01:09:25 AM »

Sorry, should have explained better or used a different choice of words... Actually, now that I think about it, I don't even know what I was talking about. I think I may have been really tired when I made that post. My only issue with Sinatra is his refusal to embrace rock and roll. That said, I'll now bow out of this thread.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 07:30:08 PM »

He did welcome Elvis back with a TV special, cut a rock single in the early 60's (Everybody's Twistin') and covered songs by The Beatles among other lite-rock acts.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 10:04:47 PM »

Frank was the best.  God bless him.  Huge Sinatra fan here.  HUGE.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 03:41:33 AM »

Anyone read this?

http://www.amazon.com/Sinatra-The-Life-Anthony-Summers/dp/0375414002

Not that impressed with it, for some reason. It is meticulously well researched, in depth with Sinatras life/bad habits/mafia connections.... barely mentions his music. The Riddle period gets one slender chapter, Strangers In The Night a page (mostly detailing how much he hates it), hardly any details outside of a couple of major tracks. Or hardly anything about his time at Reprise outside of what colour he painted his office. Most of the time it's 'in between schtupping X and fighting Y, Sinatra released another 4 albums'. Very dissatisfying.

If you edited it only slightly, it would just read like a biography of a horrible human being who drunk, swore and fought his way through 60 years in Vegas. Not one of the great singers.

BTW, listening to Songs For Swinging Lovers. Aww, yeah.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:47:45 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 11:22:35 AM »

i love the capitol stuff the best but reprise is a little undervalues - it isn't just September of my years. Man I can jam on Sinatra and Strings. And his last capitol album - Point of no return is  amazing
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 03:02:26 PM »

I'm surprised there is not more talk about September of My Years (the album).

I find it to be a counterpart to Pet Sounds - a much lusher, more layered sound than most Sinatra material, and extremely heartfelt.  Of course, Pet Sounds was about growing up, while September was about growing old, but the sentiments are similar.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 08:04:34 PM »

I'm surprised there is not more talk about September of My Years (the album).

I find it to be a counterpart to Pet Sounds - a much lusher, more layered sound than most Sinatra material, and extremely heartfelt.  Of course, Pet Sounds was about growing up, while September was about growing old, but the sentiments are similar.

I love the album, and "It Was A Very Good Year" remains a constant in my Top 5 Sinatra songs.  You know, it's funny. September Of My Years is about growing old, and Frank pulled it off, but he was only 50 years old at the time. In reality, he still did a lot of swinging stuff AFTER that, and almost another 30 years of performing.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 09:11:41 PM »

Indeed, in retrospect it should have been called 'August 22nd of My Years.'
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 06:31:09 PM »

Any of you guys pick up the Sinatra SACDs from Mobile Fidelity?  They're fantastic... and there's more to come.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2018, 01:15:19 AM »

I became a huge Sinatra fan last couple of months. Nowadays, I'm always listening to his stuff, which makes me feel relaxed and nice.

Here's my attempt at ranking all Sinatra albums I've ever listened to, which I've posted over there on PSF:

1.In the Wee Small Hours fave track: It Never Entered My Mind
Sinatra's greatest album. It might take you dozens of listen to "get" the context, but once you get it, it would be your absolute favorite album. Not a single stinker - Every song tells a story that's heartfelt. 

2.Song for Swingin' Lovers fave track: I've Got You under My Skin
Sinatra's greatest swing album. On this album, it's apparent that he was in full confidence, and that's what makes this album attracting.

3.Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim fave track: I Concentrate on You
Sinatra's succeeded attempt at bossa nova. The seven Jobim tracks are very good, but three bossa nova renditions of great american songbook make the album stronger. The difference is obvious when you listen to unreleased SinatraJobim album, all of which is written by Jobim.

4.September of My Years fave track: How Old Am I?
The soundtrack of middle-aged, mature gentleman - that's how I feel about this. Very relaxing listen.

5.Strangers in the Night fave track: All or Nothing at All
Nelson Riddle's decision to bring organ to the studio was right. Sounding overall contemporary, this is the go-to album for beginners.

6.Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely fave track: One for My Baby (One More for the Road)
Honestly, I still haven't managed to "get" this album. There are still some tracks that sound going nowhere to me, but listening three standout tracks (Angel Eyes, Blues in the Night and One for My Baby), I'm always overwhelmed by the reality these renditions have - #6 for that reality.

7.Come Dance with Me fave track: Something's Gotta Give
Fun album to listen to early at night. Sinatra swings harder than any other swing album of his, which sounds great.

8.Sinatra '65 fave track: My Kind of Town
This is a comp, but this has some redeeming quality in it. Back chorus to half of the songs are nice, and somehow sounds fresh. Then there's two killer singles (My Kind of Town and Luck Be a Lady)

9.Point of No Return fave track: (Ah, the Apple Trees) When the World Was Young
Overall preference-wise, I would put this higher than Only the Lonely. I like it because it's somehow different from Sinatra's usual torch songs albums - there are some loud brass. 

10.Watertown fave track: The Train
An album I grew tired of. (Genuine Imitation Life Gazette is better) Nevertheless, the high quality of songwriting is undeniable, and the overall rendition is fine.

11. Where Are You? fave track: I'm a Fool to Want You
The title track, The Night We Call It A Day and I'm a Fool to Want You are magnificent. The rest is very good, if slightly forgettable.

11.The Concert Sinatra fave track: Ol' Man River
This is a great album suffers from being short. If longer, I easily see that it would be ranked as high as September of My Years among fans and critics.

12.Sinatra's Swingin' Session fave track: Should I?
Very entertaining listen. Fast tempo of the songs works well.

13.A Swingin' Affair fave track: Night and Day
This is definitely inferior to Songs for Swingin' Lovers, and other shorter Capitol Swing albums, but there are some interesting songs.

14.It Might As Well Be Swing fave track: Fly Me to the Moon
The high points are high, but the low points are pretty low.

15.Nice'n'Easy fave track: I've Got a Crush on You
A nice and easy album that's nice for calming down

16.She Shot Me Down fave track: The Gal that Got Away/It Never Entered My Mind
A very sad album good to listen late at night.

17.Come Swing with Me fave track: Yes Indeed!
The solidity of the sound makes this better than the next one.

18.Ring-a-Ding-Ding fave track: Ring-a-Ding-Ding
A light listen, nothing memorable bar the title track.

19.The World We Knew fave track: This Town
This is half a decent album. The fast tracks are very nice, yet the slow ones are overall forgettable.

20.My Way fave track: My Way
Take "My Way" away and the rest is hard to remember. Nice listen though.

21.This is Sinatra fave track: Love And Marrige
This is an album I'm having a hard time listening through. It must be a great listen, but I haven't "got" it yet.

22.Cycles fave track: Both Sides Now
I suppose this is just not the kind of music for Sinatra.

23.Close To You fave track: P.S. I Love You
One of the most unmemorable album Sinatra did in Capitol years. Nice when you wanna fall asleep.

Of course, this ranking could change as I go deeper. 
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2018, 07:21:52 AM »

Just a reminder, but Only the Lonely 60th anniversary release is due to be released on October 19th(https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php/50048-FRANK-SINATRA-SINGS-FOR-ONLY-THE-LONELY-60TH-ANNIVERSARY-EDITION-%28UMe%29-2018-nbsp).

Here's new mix of Angel Eyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkxooexlxGI

and rehearsal takes of previously unreleased "Lush Life": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2-MalOvxD4

2CD Deluxe

CD 1: Original 1958 Mono Mix + Bonus Tracks
1. Only The Lonely
2. Angel Eyes
3. What’s New?
4. It’s A Lonesome Old Town
5. Willow Weep For Me
6. Good-Bye
7. Blues In The Night
8. Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
9. Ebb Tide
10. Spring Is Here
11. Gone With The Wind
12. One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)
Bonus Tracks (Mono)
13. Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry (alt take – May 5, 1958)
14. Angel Eyes (alt session takes – May 5, 1958) - previously unreleased

CD 2: New 2018 Stereo Mix + Bonus Tracks
1. Only The Lonely
2. Angel Eyes
3. What’s New?
5. Willow Weep For Me
6. Good-Bye
7. Blues In The Night
9. Ebb Tide
10. Spring Is Here
11. Gone With The Wind
Bonus Tracks (Mono)
13. Lush Life (session takes – May 29, 1958) - previously unreleased
14. One For My Baby (test track – June 24, 1958)

Expanded Digital Album (Mono)
Original 1958 Mono Mix + Bonus Tracks
1. Only The Lonely
2. Angel Eyes
3. What’s New?
5. Willow Weep For Me
6. Good-Bye
7. Blues In The Night
9. Ebb Tide
10. Spring Is Here
11. Gone With The Wind
Bonus Tracks (Mono)
13. Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry (alt take – May 5, 1958)
14. Angel Eyes (alt session takes – May 5, 1958) - previously unreleased
15. Lush Life (session takes – May 29, 1958) - previously unreleased
16. One For My Baby (test track – June 24, 1958)

1CD; 2LP Vinyl; Digital Album (Stereo)
New 2018 Stereo Mix

2LP Vinyl side splits
Side A:
1. Only The Lonely
2. Angel Eyes
3. What’s New?
Side B:
5. Willow Weep For Me
6. Good-Bye
Side C:
7. Blues In The Night
9. Ebb Tide
Side D:
10. Spring Is Here
11. Gone With The Wind
12. One For My Baby

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2018, 02:07:33 AM »

The "Only the Lonely" set is out today:

Stereo 2018 Mix: https://open.spotify.com/album/79EPf4gOng48qYVUiL29i2?si=ljOp7XInSZezs1Ap9F2p-g

Mono 1958 Mix: https://open.spotify.com/album/0xV0zM1RVaVQ8LaUp6bLWR?si=0pk0RWQETtuL-wpzKIpSag

I'm giving it a listen right now...just fascinating, with so many details I hadn't noticed before. I'm being overwhelmed by the feeling inside of every single song. You must check it out, it's a impressive listen.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2018, 07:09:13 AM »

Thanks for letting us know about this .
Whenever I need a change of pace musically I find myself listening to Sinatra. He had a great ability to pick memorable songs that worked well with his singing style.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
MsBecca
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2018, 03:01:42 PM »

I am a relatively new convert to the world of Frank Sinatra. I was not all that familiar of his music during the process of growing up ( I mean wow he died when I was like 12) but not too long ago someone on the PSF forum posted some of his stuff and it made me want to check it out. I did and I must say that I think I quite like it. I have been listening to that thingy he did with AC Jobim a lot lately for instance. Very relaxing yet cool!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2018, 05:12:54 PM »

He had a great ability to pick memorable songs that worked well with his singing style.
"Something" is real abomination. Dull song made even duller. Doesn't fit Sinatra style AT ALL. To blend Beatles & Sinatra is ludicrous. But, as Emdeeh would use banal phrase, "your mileage may vary & probably will".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2018, 12:13:12 AM »

I am a relatively new convert to the world of Frank Sinatra. I was not all that familiar of his music during the process of growing up ( I mean wow he died when I was like 12) but not too long ago someone on the PSF forum posted some of his stuff and it made me want to check it out. I did and I must say that I think I quite like it. I have been listening to that thingy he did with AC Jobim a lot lately for instance. Very relaxing yet cool!

Great to see a recent convert. When I was about 5 I had two acts I was obsessed with. Pink Floyd and Frank Sinatra. My uncle Sal was born in Sicily but spent most of the first half of his life in New York before moving to Denver and then Houston. But he was always a New York kind of guy, also a bit older. He was one of my heroes growing up, and he was a Sinatra fan. For a while I kind of copied that style.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2018, 06:36:28 AM »

In case you haven't seen yet, there's another Sinatra tribute-album out, this time by Willie Nelson.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Way-Willie-Nelson/dp/B07FKD3D19

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx