gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:53:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 72: Burswood Dome - Perth, AU 9/6/2012  (Read 30382 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »

Facebook:

Brian and the 'Boys say hello from Perth, Australia

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »

How great is Brian looking. He's got that silver fox look goin on

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 05:18:06 PM »

Hello Brian and the Boys, greetings from... Perth! I'm super excited for tonight, still in disbelief that I've been lucky enough to have the start of my Beach Boys fandom intersect with such a monumental tour. I'll be the 18 y.o in the fifth row with a Nirvana shirt, caramel coloured jeans and a predisposition to embarrassing himself through dancing/feeling the music like a complete fool. I'm counting on Foskett to copy my actions in order to reduce the awkwardness!  LOL

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 09:42:25 PM »

Very excited about tonight!   I am in the third row (I think?) in section B diamond.. I can't work out the seating arrangment.  I had a T-shirt specially made for tonight, I used the photo from the marcella cover, with the BB's leaning against a car.  I have tried to post it on here but I can't seem to do it :/   
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 02:58:14 AM »

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/-/music/14772063/beach-boys-bury-hatchet/

Mike looks a bit bigger in this picture. Those Aussie pies?
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 09:17:43 AM »

Just got back from the concert,  pretty tired so just popping in to say.. BEST NIGHT EVER!  I doubt I will have a voice tomorrow.  Will go into more detail tomorrow. 
PS.  Brian was in great form,  as were they all
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »

Facebook:

Brian waits backstage at sound check in Perth

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »

Remarkably, given what a huge and occasionally obsessive fan I've been for over two decades now, this was the first time I'd actually been to a Beach Boys concert. I saw Brian solo four times when I lived in Melbourne - twice on the Pet Sounds tour in 2002 and twice on the Smile tour in 2004 - but I always had an exaggerated disdain for the Brian-less BBs, to the extent that I even passed up a chance to see them with Carl in the mid-1990s (which I bitterly regret in hindsight). In that spirit, I went along not expecting to enjoy myself all that much, based on the current state of their vocal chops and the Mike Love-ified set lists I'd been saying around the place. So I'm very pleased to report that the show - the second half of it especially - was a delight.

Brian wasn't in good form in the first set, and even made a hash of the highly undemanding lead on Good Timin'. But Mike was in much better voice than I'd anticipated, which counted for a lot, and Al's voice hasn't aged a day, which had me thinking they were under-utilising him. There's very little left of Bruce's voice unfortunately, although his star turn on Disney Girls did give me a chance to pop off to the bathroom to throw up. All told, by the time of the intermission I was counting the show as much better than expected, while still being a little perturbed that there was a full half of it left to go.

But like I said, the second half was sensational. There was a more rewarding mix of material (covers and Kokomo aside), much better vocal performances from Brian, a sublime rendition of Wouldn't It Be Nice, and little if any of Bruce. Most of all, I emerged with a fresh perspective on their staggering wealth of brilliant material, from which they could extract one eternal classic after enough for three whole hours while still leaving entire parts of their legacy almost completely untouched.

Set list:

Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
You're So Good To Me
This Whole World
Getcha Back
Wendy
Then I Kissed Her
Kiss Me Baby
Isn't It Time
Come Go With Me
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up
Darlin'
Please Let Me Wonder
It's OK
California
Disney Girls
Good Timin'
Cottonfields
Be True To Your School
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

(Intermission)

Pet Sounds
Add Some Music To Your Day
Sail on Sailor
Heroes and Villains
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
California Dreamin'
Sloop John B
Wouldn't it Be Nice
That's Why God Made the Radio
In My Room
All This Is That
Forever
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
California Girls
All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda
Rock & Roll Music
Do You Want Dance
Surfin' USA

(Encore)

Kokomo
Barbara Ann
Fun Fun Fun
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 03:41:07 AM by William Bowe » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »

Hey Perth people! Was Gina there now that she is to become part of the extended Beach Boy family?  Wink
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 07:18:09 PM »

Hey Perth people! Was Gina there now that she is to become part of the extended Beach Boy family?  Wink

Who's Gina? 
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 07:27:54 PM »

Martin?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »

How was the turn out for this show, sold out?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »

Gina was presumably working, TonyW, as all of us should have been.

How was the turn out for this show, sold out?

Don't know if it was sold out, but it was well attended - the bleachers looked pretty well filled out from my position near the front. Personally though, I don't think there's any point going to a show at the Burswood Dome if you're going to be in the cheap seats, given the notoriously atrocious acoustics.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 08:20:36 PM »

Who's Gina?

Gina Rinehart is a big (really big) Western Australian mining heiress/magnate - the richest woman in the world, in fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_billionaires

Her daughter Ginia - one of a handful of relatives from whom she is not estranged - is engaged to Bruce Johnston's son Ryan.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:22:26 PM by William Bowe » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 01:55:10 AM »

Who's Gina?

Gina Rinehart is a big (really big) Western Australian mining heiress/magnate

She will be joining them onstage singing the last song at the final London concert then. Wink
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 02:47:13 AM »

Set list:

Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
You're So Good To Me
This Whole World
Getcha Back
Wendy
Then I Kissed Her
Kiss Me Baby
Isn't It Time
Come Go With Me
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up
Darlin'
Please Let Me Wonder
It's OK
California
Disney Girls
Good Timin'
Cottonfields
Be True To Your School
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

(Intermission)

Pet Sounds
Add Some Music To Your Day
Sail on Sailor
Heroes and Villains
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
California Dreamin'
Sloop John B
Wouldn't it Be Nice
That's Why God Made the Radio
In My Room
All This Is That
Forever
God Only Knows
California Girls
All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda
Rock & Roll Music
Do You Want Dance
Surfin' USA

(Encore)

Kokomo
Barbara Ann
Fun Fun Fun

? They must have played "Good Vibrations," no?
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 03:43:42 AM »

Very well spotted! Should have been between God Only Knows and California Girls. Have amended my post.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 06:02:49 AM »

Concert review and photo here:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/-/entertainment/14786835/concert-review-beach-boys/

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 06:20:39 AM »

Who's Gina?

Gina Rinehart is a big (really big) Western Australian mining heiress/magnate - the richest woman in the world, in fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_billionaires

Her daughter Ginia - one of a handful of relatives from whom she is not estranged - is engaged to Bruce Johnston's son Ryan.

Gina Rinehart also kinda travels to the beat of a different drum (a hand moulded, gold plated platinum drum; covered with the taut skin of an organic milk suckled anglican choir boy), and has a somewhat dubious reputation amongst the common folk and media professionals.

http://www.sydneyminingclub.org/videos/august-rinehart.htm ...getting into Sandbox territory here

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 09:02:56 PM »

Facebook:

I had a wonderful time on tour and am looking forward to more fun with the guys. Thank you everybody for all your support. We loved playing for all of you and look forward to seeing you all again soon.

- Jack Rieley
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »

OMG, so Bruce's son is engaged to the daughter of the woman who keeps getting unflattering stories about her in the LA Times?   About how poor people deserve to be poor because they're all lazy (even though she inherited every single penny of her own wealth)?  And that she wishes the miners who work for her family company would be happy making $2 per day like African miners, even though her personal worth is $30 billion-with-a-b and she can certainly afford to pay her miners more than $2 a day?  That Gina?   She's also grossly obese and looks like a poorly-dressed, badly groomed slob.  If her daughter looks and acts anything like mom, Bruce's son will be earning it by marrying into that family.   
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/14792008/rinehart-daughters-good-vibrations/

Rinehart daughter's good vibrations

The West AustralianUpdated September 8, 2012, 3:01 am

Ginia Rinehart - Gina Rinehart's heir apparent and the only one of her children not suing her - has been in town this week with her fiance Ryan Johnston in the lead-up to their wedding.

The pair were spotted on Thursday night in a VIP area near the front of the Burswood Dome watching Johnston's father, Bruce, on stage with the Beach Boys. They began dating about 12 months ago - the same time Ginia's three siblings sued their mother.

The wedding, including the date, is shrouded in secrecy but Mrs Rinehart's other three children - John Hancock, Bianca Rinehart and Hope Welker, who are embroiled in a bitter legal fight with Ginia and their mother - are not expected to attend.

Bruce Johnston said last week he would return to Perth for his son's wedding.

Ginia and Ryan met at the Institut Le Rosey, the oldest private boarding school in Switzerland, and one of the most exclusive private education institutions in the world, where tuition costs for just one year add up to more than $120,000.
Ginia is the only one of Mrs Rinehart's children to have sided with the mining magnate in the continuing court action over the multibillion-dollar family trust.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 03:02:16 AM »

OMG, so Bruce's son is engaged to the daughter of the woman who keeps getting unflattering stories about her in the LA Times?   About how poor people deserve to be poor because they're all lazy (even though she inherited every single penny of her own wealth)?  And that she wishes the miners who work for her family company would be happy making $2 per day like African miners, even though her personal worth is $30 billion-with-a-b and she can certainly afford to pay her miners more than $2 a day?  That Gina?   She's also grossly obese and looks like a poorly-dressed, badly groomed slob.

Yeah, that one. Although her dress sense is probably no worse than most other people's in the great state of Western Australia.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 03:19:15 AM »

The Warmth of the Sun has been a pretty glaring omission from their Australian sets.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 03:49:54 AM »

I have some great photos,  and I have tried and tried to post them on here, but it says my files are too large, if anyone can help me out I'd be grateful.

The concert was fantastic,  I enjoyed every minute of it.  I was third row back at the side, unfortunately not the Brian side, but he was looking my way Wink  The venue was almost full and the crowd was really enthusiastic,  probably not as much as I was though..  I partially lost my voice from singing and yelling out,  and I danced a lot,  after intermission I stood and danced for the rest of the show,  making the people behind me get up too,  which they should have been anyway and they were moving and shaking after that too.   

Lots of varieties of ages, people running to the sides to dance.  Great stuff. 

I thought Brian seemed in to it,  the sail on sailor actions were hilarious, and Jeff was imitating him.  I think it was Fun, Fun, Fun where he got up and played the guitar.

Mike was great,  witty,  perfect frontman,  he looks the best out of all of them,   must be all that meditating.  His voice was excellent.

Al was terrific,  great energy on the stage,  perfect voice.  Cotton Fields was fantastic,  it's pretty popular in Oz.

Gee Dave plays a mean guitar,  I'm no musician but it sounded great. 

My brother was really impressed at their voices..  he couldn't believe it, even going as far to say that he thinks they sound better now!  He said "That Kennedy looking guy has got a great voice hasn't he!"  (Bruce) hahahah   Somebody wrote above that Bruce's voice was a little weak,  I think at the start he was probably a little hoarse, but he got better,  I'm not a huge fan of his songs, (however they are growing on me), but Disney Girls was really lovely.

The only criticism I have is that the night went wayyyyy to quickly,  and I immediately wanted to run out and buy a ticket to the UK to see another show.  It was my favourite musical experience.  I bought a programme for $30,  and it's great, totally worth the money,  and I bought a T-shirt.

THANK YOU FOR THE MUSIC, BRIAN, MIKE, CARL, AL, DAVE, DENNIS AND BRUCE  xxx
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:27:31 AM by Wild-Honey » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx