gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 09:16:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys as "Indie Rockers"  (Read 8650 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 09:36:04 PM »

Play only Lennon's vocal intro, before the band comes in. Then repeat it - it is pretty incredible, and pretty hair-raising too.

It's like nails-on-a-chalkboard to me. I hate hate HATE it.

Back to the Beach Boys...I was doing a recording session while I was in college  , about 11 years ago.  The band's sound was kind of a mix of Weezer and (early)Blink 182.  While they went out for a smoke break, I started listening to the 2-fer of So Tough/Holland. When the band I was working with came back in, they were floored by what they heard. I did not tell them what they were listening to. It actually put a stop to the session for a bit. They didn't realize it was the Beach Boys until 'California' came on. I ended up burning them a copy.

Later on in the day, during my actual recording class, we had some free time. Our instructor let us put on a cd of our own choosing, so we could analyze as a class (specifically, the actual sound of the music). In went the BB cd. Before we hit 'play',  though, I had to hear it from some of the people in there about the f*cking Beatles and how the BB weren't on their level, along with the usual Full House jokes. Set it to 'shuffle'...'Trader' came on. Needless to say, there were some people eating crow that day.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:24:25 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 11:05:47 PM »

I love that vocal intro. And the organ solo break. The Beatles and Beach Boys can in fact coexist in a world where listeners like what they like and don't have the need to place one over the other.

I never quite understood why or how fans of a given band and how they react to that band can somehow become more of a factor in the enjoyment of the band's music over the actual music.

I guess I also don't understand the point in using the word "hate" repeatedly after someone says how much they enjoy something as I did that vocal intro. Seriously, what's the point of that kind of rage against a fucking bar of music in an intro?  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2012, 05:20:35 AM »

Play only Lennon's vocal intro, before the band comes in. Then repeat it - it is pretty incredible, and pretty hair-raising too.[/quote[

Back to the Beach Boys...I was doing a recording session while I was in college  , about 11 years ago.  The band's sound was kind of a mix of Weezer and (early)Blink 182.  While they went out for a smoke break, I started listening to the 2-fer of So Tough/Holland. When the band I was working with came back in, they were floored by what they heard. I did not tell them what they were listening to. It actually put a stop to the session for a bit. They didn't realize it was the Beach Boys until 'California' came on. I ended up burning them a copy.

Later on in the day, during my actual recording class, we had some free time. Our instructor let us put on a cd of our own choosing, so we could analyze as a class (specifically, the actual sound of the music). In went the BB cd. Before we hit 'play',  though, I had to hear it from some of the people in there about the f*cking Beatles and how the BB weren't on their level, along with the usual Full House jokes. Set it to 'shuffle'...'Trader' came on. Needless to say, there were some people eating crow that day.

You're lucky Mt. Vernon & Fairway didn't come on, mind  Wink

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2012, 07:08:52 AM »

Rocky Racoon is one of my favorite Beatles songs. It's comparable to say, Roller Skating Child or Solar System, though in my mind superior.

I relistened to RR after you said this, and it is pretty funky, but to compare it with the complete weirdness that is Roller Skating Child or Solar System? I'm not sayign it's better or worse, I just didn't get the comparison.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2012, 07:36:29 AM »

I guess I also don't understand the point in using the word "hate" repeatedly after someone says how much they enjoy something as I did that vocal intro. Seriously, what's the point of that kind of rage against a f***ing bar of music in an intro?  Smiley

What's the point of that kind of personal reaction against a f***ing post on a message board?
I respect that you like that song and performance, but Mr. Moonlight is fairly universally disliked among Beatles fans. I'm no exception, tho I do think the vocal is pretty cool. The organ break is roller rink hell.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »

Notice the smiley at the end! For real though, I think reacting to someone's positive opinion of a particular piece of music by posting the word hate multiple times and in capital letters is over the top. Musicians are tolerant people, and tolerant listeners for the most part, and the word "hate" is such a strong expression I guess I wasn't expecting that reaction from a musician about a piece of music.

This is, of course, a message board where the band being discussed has had its fair share of clunkers, no need to make a list or say how much we might HATE a song that someone finds enjoyable and posts about, even if it's a few bars of music that they're jazzed about.

If someone should post what they like about a particular song or album that has been universally derided or criticized, there are better ways to disagree and discuss rather than hating on it outright.

And the roller-rink sound of that organ break is cool, again just in my opinion! Very similar to certain tracks where Brian Wilson or Bruce or whoever used a similar effect in an organ solo...thinking of Wild Honey, Fun Fun Fun, etc. It's part of the times and the vibe, and more fun than anything. Or maybe I just like hearing the sounds of Hammond organs in full voice!  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »

That's fine, I think it is cool that someone really digs Mr. Moonlight. It just isn't surprising that folks would continue to talk about how much they hate it afterward.
Personally, I think The Rolling Stones' Got Live If You Want It! is one of the greatest slabs of unchained, pilled-up frenzy, rock and roll craziness ever waxed. But I'm certainly not surprised or too riled when everyone else disagrees with me on it.
There probably should be more of a nicer vibe in general though, as you say.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 07:52:05 PM »

Play only Lennon's vocal intro, before the band comes in. Then repeat it - it is pretty incredible, and pretty hair-raising too.

Back to the Beach Boys...I was doing a recording session while I was in college  , about 11 years ago.  The band's sound was kind of a mix of Weezer and (early)Blink 182.  While they went out for a smoke break, I started listening to the 2-fer of So Tough/Holland. When the band I was working with came back in, they were floored by what they heard. I did not tell them what they were listening to. It actually put a stop to the session for a bit. They didn't realize it was the Beach Boys until 'California' came on. I ended up burning them a copy.

Later on in the day, during my actual recording class, we had some free time. Our instructor let us put on a cd of our own choosing, so we could analyze as a class (specifically, the actual sound of the music). In went the BB cd. Before we hit 'play',  though, I had to hear it from some of the people in there about the f*cking Beatles and how the BB weren't on their level, along with the usual Full House jokes. Set it to 'shuffle'...'Trader' came on. Needless to say, there were some people eating crow that day.

Neat story about turning those people onto So Tough/Holland!  It's such an under-appreciated period in their history.  I think the casual fan thinks they went from Good Vibrations straight to Kokomo!  The LP's from Smiley Smile through Love You (skipping 15 Big Ones)...are so incredible interesting. 

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 09:00:37 PM »

I remember the Ian MacDonald book. He really hated Mr. Moonlight and Rocky Raccoon. I cannot abide hatred for Rocky Raccoon. It contains
a charming piano solo. What's the point in hating on such a trifle?

I seem to remember MacDonald hated Across The Universe as well, describing it as the result of Lennon destroying his ego with literally hundreds of acid trips.
Personally, I love that song.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »

MacDonald's dislike of "Across The Universe" nearly invalidated the whole book for me.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2012, 05:41:26 AM »

MacDonald's dislike of "Across The Universe" nearly invalidated the whole book for me.

True.  That was one song I felt he was a bit harsh upon...still I felt overall he took a pretty honest look at the catalog.  I still love the fact that he used a critical eye (even if we all don't agree 100% with some of his opinions). 

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 07:18:25 AM »

I remember the Ian MacDonald book. He really hated Mr. Moonlight and Rocky Raccoon. I cannot abide hatred for Rocky Raccoon. It contains
a charming piano solo. What's the point in hating on such a trifle?

I seem to remember MacDonald hated Across The Universe as well, describing it as the result of Lennon destroying his ego with literally hundreds of acid trips.
Personally, I love that song.

One of my favorite things in the book. I couldn't possibly agree with him more.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »

before I got tired of it as I did with most Beatles songs, I thought Across the Universe was incredibly beautiful. I wish I could destroy my ego if it would allow me to write songs like that (of course, with an ego I still can't write "Please Please Me").

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2012, 08:54:03 AM »

That's fine, I think it is cool that someone really digs Mr. Moonlight. It just isn't surprising that folks would continue to talk about how much they hate it afterward.
Personally, I think The Rolling Stones' Got Live If You Want It! is one of the greatest slabs of unchained, pilled-up frenzy, rock and roll craziness ever waxed. But I'm certainly not surprised or too riled when everyone else disagrees with me on it.
There probably should be more of a nicer vibe in general though, as you say.

I think the problem is in the wording. Being a bit of a know it all, whenever I end up having 'the talk' with someone, and they say 'oh yeah, Sgt Peppers/Abbey Road' is the greatest album ever. I generally counter with 'oh cool, my favourite from that year is Scott 4/Farewell Aldebaran/Sagittarius-Present Tense', where do you rank that? Wink

Personally I can't stand them...was a big fan in my youth, but as I grew to discover more and more sixties music, I figured out that aside from their initial 'phenomenon' period, their records were no better, and often plain worse than that made by their contemporaries. Fond memories aside, comparing something like Abbey Road to Scott 4, or one of Nick Drakes records or even the aforementioned Farewell Aldebaran is a non starter. The late sixties Beatles were just churning out a horrific mix of Childrens songs, pastiches and fillers. Compared to other mainstream pop acts like Dave Clark Five or The Archies or something, sure, they were as good or better, but nowhere NEAR as artistically important or interesting as they were culturally.

And to bring it back to the boys, both The BB and the BTls were fond of chucking out slightly half baked, jokey tracks, but the key difference for me, is that Brians are playful, charming and unselfconsciously silly, where the Beatles come over as incredibly smug. I don't get it when someone takes a pot shot at say, TM Song. Maxwells Silver Hammer on the other hand, is an utter travesty! Wink
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2012, 03:18:38 PM »

Play only Lennon's vocal intro, before the band comes in. Then repeat it - it is pretty incredible, and pretty hair-raising too.[/quote[

Back to the Beach Boys...I was doing a recording session while I was in college  , about 11 years ago.  The band's sound was kind of a mix of Weezer and (early)Blink 182.  While they went out for a smoke break, I started listening to the 2-fer of So Tough/Holland. When the band I was working with came back in, they were floored by what they heard. I did not tell them what they were listening to. It actually put a stop to the session for a bit. They didn't realize it was the Beach Boys until 'California' came on. I ended up burning them a copy.

Later on in the day, during my actual recording class, we had some free time. Our instructor let us put on a cd of our own choosing, so we could analyze as a class (specifically, the actual sound of the music). In went the BB cd. Before we hit 'play',  though, I had to hear it from some of the people in there about the f*cking Beatles and how the BB weren't on their level, along with the usual Full House jokes. Set it to 'shuffle'...'Trader' came on. Needless to say, there were some people eating crow that day.

You're lucky Mt. Vernon & Fairway didn't come on, mind  Wink

Did someone mention me? Smiley

Actually a few friends came over to my house one time and we were telling each other scary stories with candles and the lights out. I decided to play Mount Vernon and Fairway and they loved it!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 08:53:20 PM »

Silly me. My name isn't Mt Vernon and Fairway, but Magic Transistor Radio. Thus responding as such wouldn't make sense. Tongue

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx