gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:28:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ISN'T IT TIME SINGLE VERSION (BBC Radio 2) LISTEN NOW  (Read 47830 times)
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 11, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »

lsdjd woorteio cualasimio tankalekta
icciopox timitimi loxintok

aoithe

skdjsifwifugj

aboighheeiyouio

Your smugness makes me wanna puke. I'd cheer the f*** up if you disappeared from the board.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 11, 2012, 07:57:55 PM »

Ohhhh, you live in negative bullsh*t land.  You should have clued me in on that to begin with.

Personally, I live in "I like happy things" land.  When I hear songs on the radio, I don't cry about it and remember how my dad beat me once and my puppy that ran away when I was 8.  O.K., maybe I do.  But still, I generally listen to the radio to ENJOY IT.  

This constant "Well... at 3:14 in the song, one guy farts in the background.  The fart sounds synthesized, I want more real farting" that all you nerds do everytime something AWESOME happens is below you.  You're better than that.

So in closing, I'd like to say: Cheer the f*** up.  

Your smugness makes me wanna puke. I'd cheer the f*** up if you disappeared from the board. We don't have to like every single thing the band does.

By the way, I like the new version of "Isn't It Time". I don't know if I prefer it to the album version but whatever.
I guess when one finally realizes that this board in not a fan board, then what you say is correct. I think people forget what "fan" is short for. Ron fits the definition of "fan" more so than a lot of what I see here. I mean dumping on a song that is sourced from internet radio drives me crazy, especially after what we went through for weeks when TWGMTR was released on internet radio. The song sounded no where near as bad once it was released on CD. I am amazed that we have to criticize them before the recording is actually released.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 11, 2012, 10:12:15 PM »

Ohhhh, you live in negative bullsh*t land.  You should have clued me in on that to begin with.

Personally, I live in "I like happy things" land.  When I hear songs on the radio, I don't cry about it and remember how my dad beat me once and my puppy that ran away when I was 8.  O.K., maybe I do.  But still, I generally listen to the radio to ENJOY IT.  

This constant "Well... at 3:14 in the song, one guy farts in the background.  The fart sounds synthesized, I want more real farting" that all you nerds do everytime something AWESOME happens is below you.  You're better than that.

Your smugness makes me wanna puke. I'd cheer the f*** up if you disappeared from the board. We don't have to like every single thing the band does.

By the way, I like the new version of "Isn't It Time". I don't know if I prefer it to the album version but whatever.
I guess when one finally realizes that this board in not a fan board, then what you say is correct. I think people forget what "fan" is short for. Ron fits the definition of "fan" more so than a lot of what I see here. I mean dumping on a song that is sourced from internet radio drives me crazy, especially after what we went through for weeks when TWGMTR was released on internet radio. The song sounded no where near as bad once it was released on CD. I am amazed that we have to criticize them before the recording is actually released.

I have no problem with people liking stuff. For pete's sake, I like the new version of "Isn't It Time". My problem is Ron always coming into threads like "gee, you guys just don't get it, you're too busy trying to be cool", instead of understanding that hey, maybe a few people just don't like "Kokomo", regardless of it's pop culture status, or they don't like Mike Love, or John Stamos, or whatever. And once again, let me clarify, I like "Kokomo" and Mike Love, but he seems to paint those with a more "artsy" view as being somehow less honest with themselves. Too "serious" to have good ol' Amurrrican fun. I however don't think these people are being dishonest with themselves, I just think they were voicing their opinion. And I'm pretty sure everybody on this board is a fan. It is possible that their favorite stuff from the group is from like 45 years ago, but whatever. We are all fans and to questions one's "fanaticism" I think is lame.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 11, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »

Omg Brian Wilson's twitter/facebook Linked to the video of the currently unreleased song Tongue

Does this make my link official fodder?  Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 12, 2012, 02:11:30 AM »

I have no problem with people liking stuff. For pete's sake, I like the new version of "Isn't It Time". My problem is Ron always coming into threads like "gee, you guys just don't get it, you're too busy trying to be cool", instead of understanding that hey, maybe a few people just don't like "Kokomo", regardless of it's pop culture status, or they don't like Mike Love, or John Stamos, or whatever. And once again, let me clarify, I like "Kokomo" and Mike Love, but he seems to paint those with a more "artsy" view as being somehow less honest with themselves. Too "serious" to have good ol' Amurrrican fun. I however don't think these people are being dishonest with themselves, I just think they were voicing their opinion. And I'm pretty sure everybody on this board is a fan. It is possible that their favorite stuff from the group is from like 45 years ago, but whatever. We are all fans and to questions one's "fanaticism" I think is lame.

I agree, Jim. If everyone liked everything by the Beach Boys, that wouldn't open up for much fruitful discussion. Personally, I don't really like most of Brian's solo work post 'Imagination', I definitely don't like Carl's solo albums, and I don't really think TWGMTR is all that, but does that make me a lesser fan than someone who unfiltered takes anything produced by Brian Wilson, or anything that has a connotation to the Beach Boys?
Of course not. Being someone who has studied sound and music, I have my way of interpreting their music, my way of analyzing their works, comparing, critiquing, etc. I don't expect everyone else to listen for the same things as I do, or having the same perception, but I do expect to NOT be questioned whether I'm a true fan or not.  And I do think that having about 350 Beach Boys/Wilson/related CDs should speak for something. Wink
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:13:02 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2012, 04:19:27 AM »

Ohhhh, you live in negative bullsh*t land.  You should have clued me in on that to begin with.

Personally, I live in "I like happy things" land.  When I hear songs on the radio, I don't cry about it and remember how my dad beat me once and my puppy that ran away when I was 8.  O.K., maybe I do.  But still, I generally listen to the radio to ENJOY IT. 

This constant "Well... at 3:14 in the song, one guy farts in the background.  The fart sounds synthesized, I want more real farting" that all you nerds do everytime something AWESOME happens is below you.  You're better than that.

I think critiqing the sound of a song with dubious origins is lame, as well. We all know how crappy streaming can be, so to make judgments that it is really how it will sound is really unfair to the artist and a waste of time.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2012, 04:34:41 AM »

Ohhhh, you live in negative bullsh*t land.  You should have clued me in on that to begin with.

Personally, I live in "I like happy things" land.  When I hear songs on the radio, I don't cry about it and remember how my dad beat me once and my puppy that ran away when I was 8.  O.K., maybe I do.  But still, I generally listen to the radio to ENJOY IT. 

This constant "Well... at 3:14 in the song, one guy farts in the background.  The fart sounds synthesized, I want more real farting" that all you nerds do everytime something AWESOME happens is below you.  You're better than that.

I think critiqing the sound of a song with dubious origins is lame, as well. We all know how crappy streaming can be, so to make judgments that it is really how it will sound is really unfair to the artist and a waste of time.

I don't think anyone is critiquing the actual sound quality of the song (e.g. "it's crap because it's encoded to 128kbps" or "the stream only has a sample rate of 22,050 Hz, so the version sucks"), but rather the unnecessary use of auto-tune, reverb and other sound effects. Not to mention new vocal takes, missing falsettos, etc. These are all fair attributes to analyze and critique, regardless of sound quality.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 12, 2012, 05:36:33 AM »

This constant "Well... at 3:14 in the song, one guy farts in the background.  The fart sounds synthesized, I want more real farting" that all you nerds do everytime something AWESOME happens is below you.  You're better than that...

People often forget that Kokomo was a movie soundtrack hit, coming out of nowhere, with Tom Cruise's box office appeal and perhaps, like everything else that takes off, a matter of timing.  Right movie, and a "sound" in perfect sync.  Post the Iran Contra hearings. So serious and enlightening and intense.  The States, were ready for a break, some fun, a vacation.
It does not seem to me unlike the post Vietnam era resurgence in BB interest. 

People were ready for TWGMTR.  As technology progressed at warp speed, it was lovely to look in the rear view mirror and see where it all began and pay rightful tribute.  One of the coolest things that has emerged as it were from this reunion as I see it, is that a lot of fans who came aboard the BB ship, via Brian's individual work, have seen the BAND, meld onstage, and get a visual of the collective love of the music, despite whatever circumstances.  It has brought people together under the same banner.  Now each faction, as it were, sees the other's point of view, and can better appreciate their ability to get onstage with all three bands and see them as the pros that they are.  It was one of the coolest things for me to see Cowsill and Bragg, Von Mertens do his thing during Rhonda, Bennett and Gregory rock out behind the lines, dancin' Darian, Micky slide into the kit, and really have a blast! (They got into a different groove; the Beach Boys groove!) And hear booming Foskett, intro BRI - AN Wilson! 

Never mind the arty stuff.  Dave Marks, who was not part of Pet Sounds, stepped into his zone, and led the charge for the Pet Sounds instrumental, as the guitar virtuoso that he grew into.  They all crosssed the bridge into each other's "zone" as it were and appeared to thoroughly enjoy it! So, the "factionization" lines seem to be blurred, and I think it is a great thing.  They each have had a taste of the other's wine.  I think the video wall spoke volumes of their shared vision and history, despite whatever hardships, mistakes (that we all make) and ultimate survival.  We're surprised.  They are surprised.  But the glue of the old toiling in the studio and family and neighborhood/school bond was unbroken.  When they took the stage, the synergy was still there.  And many of us, who saw the the three bands, under whatever banner, just to hear the music, lived to witness that day.  People can just relax and enjoy. 

But, to say one likes "everything" shows a basic lack of discrimination.  One might find something "redeeming" in a work.  Doesn't mean you have to like it or make it a steady diet.  Being fussy and discriminating is a good thing.  There are enough sheep in the world.   Wink
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 12, 2012, 06:54:12 AM »

The only thing that really struck me as bad on the original was Brian's opening, and I know a lot of people agreed with me, so they rework it and leave in the same poor sounding vocals. They changed things that were fine and left Brian's gruff vocals in.......why? Had they done a retake on Brian's opening and added some voices WITH Jeff's part then it would have been really good IMO. Instead, there are now 2 versions of a potentially great song that are not so great.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 12, 2012, 07:18:04 AM »

I don't think anyone is critiquing the actual sound quality of the song (e.g. "it's crap because it's encoded to 128kbps" or "the stream only has a sample rate of 22,050 Hz, so the version sucks"), but rather the unnecessary use of auto-tune, reverb and other sound effects. Not to mention new vocal takes, missing falsettos, etc. These are all fair attributes to analyze and critique, regardless of sound quality.
Yeah, and the autotune, reverb, etc. turned out to not be as bad as what was streaming on the Internet. Like here in this thread, we went on pages upon pages blasting the sound, only to find out what we were listening to was not what was eventually released. Sure, to debate new lyrics,  missing falsettos is all fine and good, but much of what's been posted has been about sound quality. Then after release we'll have another ten pages of mia culpa's saying it wasn't as bad as first thought. Oh well....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:19:43 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 12, 2012, 01:46:53 PM »

^^ I don't know about that. The Auto-Tune became more apparent to me when i actually heard the record compared to the snippet previews online. One can make the argument that the clarity of the album's full sound reveals what's already there and might have been obscured some by streaming quality. I don't think that much of what's been posted about the new single has been about sound quality. By the way, i say this as someone who thinks the new single isn't bad other than the Auto-Tune.

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2012, 02:40:20 PM »

^^ I don't know about that. The Auto-Tune became more apparent to me when i actually heard the record compared to the snippet previews online. One can make the argument that the clarity of the album's full sound reveals what's already there and might have been obscured some by streaming quality. I don't think that much of what's been posted about the new single has been about sound quality. By the way, i say this as someone who thinks the new single isn't bad other than the Auto-Tune.

Yep. Exactly. The critique has not been about the quality of the sound. In fact, reverb, auto-tune, phasers, flangers, chorus, delays, etc, etc, do not have anything to do with sound quality - which again make them valid things to point out and review and give opinions on.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:44:48 PM by tansen » Logged

BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 12, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »

This^

The conversation is starting to remind me of the time an ebay seller became incredibly furious with me when I suggested his vivid description of the stereo effects on a UK stereo copy of Beach Boys Party was a bit rum given that it was reprocessed stereo. He actually claimed that the only way to get enough quality from the record to be able to tell one way or the other was by hearing a copy that had been played less than three times, and he estimated there to be three copies known to exist in that state, in the world.  Cheesy He also claimed it was true stereo, with all kinds of psychy panning etc  LOL  Cool Guy

You can tell all you need to know from that clip. They've made the arrangement less good, the lyrics less good, and autotuned the piss out of the vocals to the point where it actually sounds like a joke. The original version had it's flaws, but this is just a total ruination

It's a shame- imagine if this song had the same sort of delirious, swinging looseness as 'our team' or something. I actually think they WOULD be in with a chance of a hit in that situation. This sounds dated already, in the way a relatively straight recording of people singing and playing instruments will never sound, regardless of the era/gear it was recorded on.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:17:05 PM by BergenWhitesMoustache » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 12, 2012, 05:00:29 PM »

Fucking ass-liar, everyone knows poor quality recordings create autotune. I encoded "A Day In The Life Of A Tree" at 32kbps mono and Jack sounded like fucking Freddie Mercury on speed in his precision with the vocal. Like Michael Jackson after injecting 30000IU caffeine into his testicles or Gene Simmons injecting money into his scrotum. It is the best vocal you've ever heard.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 05:06:00 PM by stamosluvr69 » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 12, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »

Fucking ass-liar, everyone knows poor quality recordings create autotune. I encoded "A Day In The Life Of A Tree" at 32kbps mono and Jack sounded like fucking Freddie Mercury on speed in his precision with the vocal. Like Michael Jackson after injecting 30000IU caffeine into his testicles or Gene Simmons injecting money into his scrotum. It is the best vocal you've ever heard.

omg runners thats lyke rly rly wierd!!!!!1 i couldve sworn that a day in the tree of a life was sung by ringo and not jack lennon lyke ur claming! im gnna have 2 listen to abby raod again 2 here it now that i no. u learn smt new hear everyday with all the rly smart ppl in this msgbrd lol

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: September 12, 2012, 07:05:30 PM »

Nieng vlord bnaif conna foopy "day in the life of a tree" remdemtrag

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »

So has there been a release date set for this yet?, I thought that we were to expect a September release date, well, we are half way through September and as far as I'm aware there hasn't been any date set. Also has there been any more radio airplay other than the Radio 2 broadcast?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2012, 03:09:23 PM »

So has there been a release date set for this yet?, I thought that we were to expect a September release date, well, we are half way through September and as far as I'm aware there hasn't been any date set. Also has there been any more radio airplay other than the Radio 2 broadcast?

A few DJ promo cd's have shown up on Ebay.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 15, 2012, 01:30:57 PM »

I don't want to sound all doom and gloom but Capitol haven't put as much behind this as they could have done really, have they?  Undecided
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 15, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »

Seconds singles are basically never given much of a push anymore unless you're One Direction or something. It always comes out months upon months later than it really should, always after a couple other songs are said to be the second single (see "Spring Vacation" being named and seeing a small amount of airplay a couple months ago), thus creating confusion. I guess they don't see much reason in putting forth the effort anymore unless, again, it's a huge mainstream pop act that's popular right this minute and is a guaranteed hit because of tits/zomg he's so hot/black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow/party party party/etc.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 15, 2012, 02:20:29 PM »

Seconds singles are basically never given much of a push anymore unless you're One Direction or something. It always comes out months upon months later than it really should, always after a couple other songs are said to be the second single (see "Spring Vacation" being named and seeing a small amount of airplay a couple months ago), thus creating confusion. I guess they don't see much reason in putting forth the effort anymore unless, again, it's a huge mainstream pop act that's popular right this minute and is a guaranteed hit because of tits/zomg he's so hot/black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow/party party party/etc.

Fair point.. maybe they'd have sold more copies if they had Taylor on board  Wink coupled with the surviving guys sending up the video to One Direction's god-awful "What Makes You Beautiful" as the video for Isn't it Time.. guaranteed hit..  LOL
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 15, 2012, 11:51:21 PM »

lulz One Direction was horrendous! almost all hit music these days is just that!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 16, 2012, 12:43:49 AM »

I don't want to sound all doom and gloom but Capitol haven't put as much behind this as they could have done really, have they?  Undecided

The album the single is on is not out for nearly a month. Brian has just had a back procedure.

Give them some credit.

Come later this month / early next, the band will be out doing promo for this.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 20, 2012, 09:07:55 PM »

Listening now

Sounds better on the CD!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:15:22 PM by 18thofMay » Logged

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2012, 10:58:28 AM »

Listening now

Sounds better on the CD!
Any further detailed analysis?  anyone else have it from down under?  Looking forward to a full review of the production of the single. We have to wait 2 more plus weeks fer for 50 big ones.

thanks
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx