gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:20:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ISN'T IT TIME SINGLE VERSION (BBC Radio 2) LISTEN NOW  (Read 47826 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »

After listening to it several more times...

The album version was perfect. When I first heard it, I was floored at how catchy it was, and thought the production was pretty spiffy. I've mentioned previously that the album version is one of my daughter's favorite songs by anyone, anywhere.

This version?  It sounds brittle, like most of the rest of the post-Kokomo pre-reunion Beach Boys material.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2012, 12:13:06 AM »

Someone here said it'd be replacing the original on future copies of the album (once it's released). Really hope that's not the case.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aye and all future releases of Pet Sounds will feature Timothy B. Schmit's version of Caroline No.

“We live in divisive times.”
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2012, 01:04:15 AM »

I was really looking forward to the single version, but after hearing it I have a huge preference for the original album version.  While Brian’s intro vocal sounds somewhat gravelly in the original, his first word “After” in the new version is way too rough.  Then, inexplicably, the bass line in the intro is much weaker, appearing only in the left channel.  After that we get too much reverb, a muddled sounding bridge that is significantly worse than that in the original, and a very irritating clock sound effect.  

Whereas the original has punch and a cool groove, the new version is a somewhat too fast in parts.  I also prefer the more prominent fat bass guitar in the original.

They still have time to fix some of these issues before 50 Big Ones hits the market, with the presumably corresponding release to radio.  If they elect not to, both the album version and the single version should be serviced to radio concurrently.  

All that being said, Isn’t It Time is a great song in either version, and the one with the most commercial potential on the album.  I’d give the original an A+ and the new single version a significantly lower B+.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:58:37 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2012, 01:32:58 AM »

Really, really, really awful

Weird delays, weird reverb, sound everywhere, too much autotune, terrible new lyrics

'Isn't it time, isn't it time, isn't it time to be lovers?' instead of the original rhyming line WTF? Making the single less catchy?

The album version had so much potential and they ruined it. I hope this will be a hit, but it doesn't deserve it, to be honest
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2012, 02:39:34 AM »

Man. While I agree with all the faults being named, it's kind of a bummer to see this mix ending up so poorly received among, of all people, us. I was really welcoming Mike singing the bridge, but it just wasn't handled very well at all and the end result of the whole song just feels rushed and a little careless.

Shame - there was a world of potential in this song. The album version comes pretty close, but this "revised" version really does miss the mark. Indeed, I won't be surprised if this goes down as yet another "If only they'd approached it a little differently" situation to add to an already lengthy list. At least the album (in terms of execution) and tour were a success. ^_^
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:41:30 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2012, 03:34:12 AM »

It's as if at one time they've been listening to this 'clapping' tune, also with a little organ mixed in.
Ben Lee - Catch My Disease
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqQkjGXkmQQ

That's how a production could be:
use weird instruments, in this case a toy piano, not weird sound effects
& make a strong beat, with a wall of sound type of mix
All of this with more clean analog sound!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2012, 04:18:00 AM »

If they wanted a single to make a splash in the current music scene, they should have tried tweaking it in a quirky, Gotye-esque way to appeal to the 'indie' scene. This alternate version sounds like they're trying to hit a market which they'll never get close to conquering today
pretty much
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2012, 04:52:41 AM »

Three thoughts:

1) It's not as bad as people are making it out to be.

2) I'm glad they sped it up. Said from the beginning that it felt too slow.

3) There's no way in hell this will be a hit.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2012, 05:16:20 AM »

Meh. No Blondie and Ricky.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2012, 07:42:30 AM »

I do miss the high part in the bridge -- it could have been redone as a descant over Mike's new part, for example. Alan's singing is rock-solid.

I agree about Autotune -- I really don't like a lot of current pop chart stuff in the U.S. because of Autotune abuse. I know it's a fad that will pass, but I'd still rather hear natural voices.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2012, 08:14:16 AM »

Hmmmm... The only reason I was going to buy 50 Big Ones was going to be for the new single version of Isn't It Time... I may end up canceling now.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2012, 09:12:29 AM »

I know I'm new here and haven't posted much yet, but I wanna participate toO! Smiley  Here's what I think...

I love it! 

I think we, as obsessive fans, are exaggerating juuust a bit, as obsessive fans do.  They ruined the song?!  Ruined it!!!  To the layman, to the record buying public, no one will EVER NOTICE the difference between the two versions.  The main difference is a 20 second bridge that comes more than 2 minutes into the song.  No one will notice minor lyrical differences in the choruses (and not even in the first chorus, that's the same!).

The echo effect is barely noticeable and not detracting, and I only see one instance of egregious autotuning (Brian's "summer in looOove")

Anyhoo.  I kinda like all the changes.  I like Mike's new bridge, I like adding some future tense to the song (the things we want to do, we'll spend the nighttime together), I like LOOOOVERS, and once I got used to Al saying "want" instead of "used", well, that works just as well.

I think they're both equally great songs.  They're still 95% the exact same song, so I have to disagree on anything being RUINED.  And I think the new version makes the stronger single.  And I think we should support the Boys, who are releasing a single that sounds 95% like a song everyone loves.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2012, 09:26:53 AM »

I think autotune can really add a lot to a performance when used in an appropriate context. For example, Kanye West's Heartless is a really cold, sad song and I find the clinical texture of the autotune perfectly latches on to the song's despondent nature and drives the whole production up a tier. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXp2aSyrSwQ For similar reasons, I have little problem with the autotune/filter/whatever on Al's vocal on From There to Back Again, it's complimentary to the song. Isn't it Time, on the other hand, is supposed to be a jovial, uplifting and strong display of the boys' confidence in being a little quirky and fun. All the autotune does here is ruin that atmosphere of the song and make the self-conciousness and doubt about the competency of the vocalists in the group plainly apparent. It's just uncool to the furthest degree imo.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2012, 09:56:59 AM »

One fun thing with this new version is that some of our SS board "audio experts" will "Roll their own" between the two versions.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2012, 10:02:20 AM »

The auto tune really is disastrous, what the hell were they thinking

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »

It's got its flaws, but I think there are some things that are better about it. They should have kept at least the melody from the bridge, but I do agree with replacing Foskett. The autotune doesn't really bug me. I think Brian sounds better in the verses this time around, as well. Love the a capella intro, too.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2012, 10:26:44 AM »

Thanks to Slim and Father for their well wishes. I am lingering here today and leaving tomorrow for China, and I wanted to monitor closely this thread, as I sense the rising consternation by our members about this single. Does anyone have a link to a better version? What is the radio playing? Do we know anything about the status of this release?  thebeachboys.com says nothing, and I see no news in US or Britain about it--just the radio play?  I wish I knew more about what the producers are thinking? Is this a tentative pre-release, a leak?  Naturally, I am trying to craft the hope that this is nothing like the version we will get in the US and on 50 big ones, hoping they will retain all the features we like and fix all the errors.  Any reaction from the band, from our many insiders?

This is a kind of nightmare for us, knowing so little and working from radio versions. I don't know savetube, but I'll try it, as Rangerover suggests.

Wish we could do more as a community to advise the producers. . . . but if all lthey care about is $, they ought to be alarmed at the reaction here.

sharing your collective frustration,

The Professor
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2012, 11:01:03 AM »

Personally I'm more than happy that most producers don't take cues from their audiences. That said, this new version simply doesn't work and the heavy use of delay and autotune really makes me appreciate the tasteful sound of the group's 60s and 70s output. Time to listen to some Wild Honey instead.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2012, 11:24:02 AM »

Okay I may have saved the bridge...

Jeff's part totally, harmonizes, lay it over! you'll see..

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2012, 11:42:25 AM »

Really, really, really awful

Weird delays, weird reverb, sound everywhere, too much autotune, terrible new lyrics

This. And the harmony on Brian's first few lines is completely unnecessary.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2012, 11:54:27 AM »

Okay I may have saved the bridge...

Jeff's part totally, harmonizes, lay it over! you'll see..
I sure as heck don't want to save Foskett's part- it's the worst part of the original. I'll just  amplify Mike's vocals so I ca actually HEAR him.

To those of you positing that this isn't a final version- it is.  It will not be tweaked or changed. It will be on the new greatest hits packages in this exact form. Good news is- you never have to hear it again if you don't want to.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:59:33 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »

Oh, I have one more thing to add!  I've been singing this song off and on since I got the album, and for the first time today without realizing it I started singing the new bridge.  And it still flowed really well, in my brain at least.  So there, whatever that means!  Smiley

Oh and also, if the ruination of this song is making you feel bad, let slowly-aging Brian Wilson singing Surfer Girl soothe your senses:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13805.msg316685.html#msg316685

(sorry for the thread hijacking, but I think a lot of people who may like my animation aren't seeing it cuz it's in the media section.  And if you like it please go comment on that thread!)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »

I know it's a fad that will pass,

Lol, no. Autotune will never die because it allows record companies to seek out artists based on image rather than talent. Image is much more important than actually being able to sing or write good music here in the year of our lord 2012.

Exhibit A:

No mas, por favor.
MBE
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »

They wrecked it. They did something similar with the single of Somewhere Near Japan.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2012, 01:44:55 PM »

Aha - Artwork and Proof of a release - a promo single which has single mix and instrumental on ebay UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120980796746?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_500wt_949

Price has shot up!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx