gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 05:00:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ISN'T IT TIME SINGLE VERSION (BBC Radio 2) LISTEN NOW  (Read 47932 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 12:36:04 PM »

There are some things I like about this new version. The harmony bit at the beginning is cool, and the added things in the opening verse, despite how digital and cold they are, help Brian's vocal to sound better. There are cool new, slight organ parts. The rest, though...yikes. We thought the autotune was bad on the album - that was like nothing compared to the slathering of it on the new single.

-The bridge is pretty much ruined. The autotune on Mike's part is laughable and frankly, cringeworthy. When you use that stuff to the point where the singer doesn't sound human, as a producer of The Beach Boys, you know you should back it off and try again. Parts of this sound like a parody of the current Top 40 pop scene, and everything that is wrong with it.
-I miss the falsetto.
-Did I mention the autotune?
-The new lyrics aren't an improvement over the originals.

(IMO).

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »

I'm not sure what the thinking was behind the new bridge. Not a fan of Jeff's voice and was interested to hear someone else sing it, but they took it down on octave and totally altered the melody. It's not so much a matter of "It's changed and I don't like it", I just really feel it's inferior to the original melody for that part.

Mike sounds like he's underwater during that part, too. teh heck.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »

I think the reason why they use autotune so indiscriminately is because they take the term "current Top 40" literally.
Paulos
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 01:18:54 PM »

The new bridge is utter balls, massive dangling balls with rivers of sweat running down them. To recap, I do not like the bridge.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 01:19:53 PM »

Like all of you I am listening over and over; have to agree with the trend of the criticism, such as Ecohanger's good analysis.

But, trying to find some positives (some have been noted):

The group harmony at the top, which is more fantastic with every listen.

Al's harmony with Brian on the opening verses "all been" said, "in my head" etc.

Still hearing Bruce on the chorus lead.

Added guitar track, which must be Dave strumming in a classic BB way that I just love to hear.

Organ, as noted.

The clock ticking!!

Mike's new melody on the bridge grows on you after 2-4 listens, less jarring obviously that at first listen.

Al on "lovers" at the end of new bridge.

Is it a bit more like Bananrama than it ought to be? Perhaps, but it's the BB new single , and I love it. How do I know? Can't stop listening.

New Lyrics:  first time gives us "used to do," which them becomes "want to do" so we could argue for some coherence. . . .
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 01:20:23 PM »

I'm not sure what the thinking was behind the new bridge. Not a fan of Jeff's voice and was interested to hear someone else sing it, but they took it down on octave and totally altered the melody.

I like how it sounded when in some shows Mike and Jeff sang the bridge together

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »

i really like the new version !
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2012, 01:41:52 PM »

Isn't it time, isn't it time, isn't time WE CUT SOME CHEESE AGAIN?!?!

What a mess. Mike Love should have as little input as possible when it comes to recording something that is supposed to commercially viable. He's lost his way, hey, hey, hey...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »

What a mess. Mike Love should have as little input as possible when it comes to recording something that is supposed to commercially viable. He's lost his way, hey, hey, hey...

It's all Mike's fault, guys. ;(

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »

Like all of you I am listening over and over; have to agree with the trend of the criticism, such as Ecohanger's good analysis.

But, trying to find some positives (some have been noted):

The group harmony at the top, which is more fantastic with every listen.

Al's harmony with Brian on the opening verses "all been" said, "in my head" etc.

Thats more Brian isn't it?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »

Adding a strong negative: is it Brian's voice that is so tweaked on the "isn't it time" refrain that is sounds frighteningly electronic, like that singer, who was it t-pain? That part is no good for sure.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2012, 01:55:36 PM »

Adding a strong negative: is it Brian's voice that is so tweaked on the "isn't it time" refrain that is sounds frighteningly electronic, like that singer, who was it t-pain? That part is no good for sure.

teh return of B-Pain ';'

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2012, 02:06:29 PM »

why is this sped up too.  I can't take it.  

this SUUUUCKS compared to the album version.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:08:15 PM by Runaways » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2012, 02:11:12 PM »

Jesus, they fuckin' SLAUGHTERED the bridge of the song. A truly awful "remix" of this song.

No mas, por favor.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »

I hate how the "Isn't it time we get ready again, isn't it time we go steady again?" has been changed to "Isn't it time, isn't it time, isn't it time to be blubblyaafhgiug," and no, I can't understand what that word was supposed to be.

The album version was fine, they should have just released that as a single and paired it with an previously unreleased B-side to make it marketable.  But I think I'll skip out on buying this version.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2012, 02:19:16 PM »

It's all Mike's fault, guys. ;(

Riiight. Mike bashing is fun (like Jeff Foskett bashing or Joe Thomas bashing, or Bruce Johnston bashing, or Dick Reynolds bashing), but we don't know that these additions were Mike's idea, so it's not fair to go 'there' just yet. Not that I would be surprised, but hey, give the guy a shot.

Wonder if this thing will get some airplay.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2012, 02:21:22 PM »

Wonder if this thing will get some airplay.

Well, this is airplay... Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2012, 02:21:29 PM »

I hate how the "Isn't it time we get ready again, isn't it time we go steady again?" has been changed to "Isn't it time, isn't it time, isn't it time to be blubblyaafhgiug," and no, I can't understand what that word was supposed to be.

"Isn't it time to be lovers?".

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2012, 02:25:05 PM »

I've actually changed my opinion..

I like the original better

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
shakcohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »

It sounds 'commercial' and 'radio-friendly' which was it's purpose. I like it!

It's exciting for me that the BBs have a new single out in 2012 that is played on radio.
This mix will also sound good on smart phones and laptop speakers, which is important for today's market - class and subtlety don't always cut it these days, ya know, the LP version is great but I think this is right for it's intended format.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2012, 02:28:03 PM »

"Isn't it time to be lovers?".

Ah, that makes sense hehe.  The sound is just so muddled, I really couldn't make it out.

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 02:38:31 PM »

My reactions are mixed.

I love the a capella intro, and the extra harmonies against Brian's lead. The whole first verse is better.

The chorus is where it starts to go off for me, with the unnessecary delay on Al's vocal and the taming of the slappy percussion (which Bruce described as "drums spilling off shelves").

There are a few organ parts in the verses that pop out more - me like.

I don't think the bridge is a disaster but then again it's not a slam-dunk improvement either. I miss the harmonies leading into it, and Mike's vocal isn't near strong enough. I actually always thought Jeff's part was performed fine, but like most people I wasn't overly comfortable with the idea of it. So I'm glad that there's now an original Beach Boy singing on the bridge.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 02:48:43 PM »

Calm down, it's obvious that they want to make this one chart and will do what the market demands in order to do so, nothing wrong with that, appart from the dent in artistic integrity...

nah, it's just fine, autotunes flying in your face all the time but it sounds more 'dance worthy' which I guess is the point.
To put it this way, it is done by others than the group itself, its not like BW actually produced it himself. This is just another attempt to draw some last cash from the album + get fans to buy 50BO.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2012, 03:00:22 PM »

Seems rather unnecessary to me. The tour is pretty much over so I doubt there's any chance of a new single charting or getting traction without the band constantly on TV plugging it.
I'm not a fan of this. I'm perfectly happy with the album version. This "remix" reminds me of when The Monkees overdubbed synths on "Daydream Believer" in 1986 to try and get a modern day sound out of it. A waste of time.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »

I think you nailed it Cabinessenceking.  I don't like the sound of this as I don't like the sound of a lot of modern music, but it does sound contemporary.  I don't blame them at all for trying to make a hit single, at least we still have the original version.  

My fear is that if this does become a hit, some of the unused tunes will be mixed in a similar fashion for that follow up album.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx