gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:53:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tame Impala - Elephant  (Read 1881 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2012, 12:57:03 PM »

Only just heard this recently - this is the lead single from upcoming album Lonerism.

It's incredible. I liked the 1st album but this is something else:

http://open.spotify.com/track/4l1wyf7ITwdQcY68tFlA81

and Todd Rundgren's remixed it too!!...

http://open.spotify.com/track/3VEaBk95JGeKsx84ven0pY

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 11:52:33 PM »

I'm kinda have mixed feelings on this track. It seems like they haven't matured at all and I think this track could fit perfectly on their first LP and it would feel like it was meant to be there.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:43:08 PM »

Beatles fans must cream for this. It's like Lennon is still alive - I've never heard any other vocalist sound that close to his style. The track flat out rocks, too, and the lyrics are like something out of Revolver. Brilliance.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »

The entire 2nd LP is a masterpiece.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »

The entire 2nd LP is a masterpiece.

I've been streaming it all this weekend, and I'm planning to pop into Best Buy on my lunch break tomorrow to see if they have a copy....

I get such a blissed out, acid feeling from this track. Must be one of the best things I've heard from the past 10 years in music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDN8FTSHfAA

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »

There was one copy at my local BB - price tag $9.99 but rang up at $7.99 - they must automatically match their web site prices. Anyway, a great deal - get to your Best Buy and pick this disc up!

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 03:45:07 PM »

Must agree. I loved this band from the very beginning and look forward to what they might venture into. I would wonder if they might make more organic albums later.
As an anecdote, I actually visited the beach house recording studio near Yallingup, WA back in 2007, not long before they coincidently recorded their entire first LP at the very same studio. That place is very much like an isolated Californian landscape. Very green and underpopulated with some of the most fantastic wildlife/landscape scenery/beaches and billabongs I've ever seen.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Yallingup_gnangarra_21.JPG
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 04:11:59 AM »

On first listen, this sounds like The Explorer's Club first album for Beatles fans.

(convoluted zing explained - it sounds like a bunch of people unwittingly copying Revolver/Sgt Pepper - the break in the third track, jesus christ)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:20:48 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 04:49:11 AM »

On first listen, this sounds like The Explorer's Club first album for Beatles fans.

(convoluted zing explained - it sounds like a bunch of people unwittingly copying Revolver/Sgt Pepper - the break in the third track, jesus christ)

It's close, but I'd say it sounds more like if The Beatles were stuck in a time warp from 1967 to 2012. It has modern elements to it, and doesn't sound like it could have been written and recorded in the 60s for the most part.

To me, I just picture I'm listening to the new Beatles album, rather than thinking "here's a group that's trying to sound like The Beatles", and it works - picture Lennon singing some of these songs and voila! he is. Plus, the bass is so McCartney.

BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »

Man... I absolutely LOVED the first album, but I think this one is a turd.

Previously they took sixties/psych influences and made something new and original with it, this just sounds plain derivative.

A bunt instead of a grand slam
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx