gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:50:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: '72 Smile  (Read 21764 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »

Interesting that the order is roughly close to the reverse order of those songs' appearances on BWPS and TSS.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:09:10 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »

BWPS is the completed work.

BWPS was completed so they could play it live. I believe they were running out of ideas to keep Brian's live act alive. It was then recorded to make money.

Well that's a cynical way of looking at it.  I'm sure they wanted to make money but that doesn't mean there wasn't any artistic integrity in it.  I certainly think there was.  It's not like Brian was forced to do it against his will.  He was asked to do it, he agreed to do it, and he did it.  He did it with a lot of help but he did it.  And we should be glad he did.

I respect your opinion.

Would you have preferred if Brian left Smile alone rather than finish it?  Whatever happened behind the scenes, you can't deny that it sounds great.

I wish Brian would have left BWPS as a live performance. He/they did an incredible job with it in a concert setting.

To re-record the SMiLE songs, call it finished, and release it as such is a disgrace and a fraud. But that's a long story.

I do deny that it sounds great. While there are some parts of it that are good, especially parts of the second movement, I do not enjoy listening to it. Actually, I hardly ever listen to it.

I didn't preface each sentence with "In my opinion". It's understood.

SJS - you are my new favorite smiley smiler. I agree with your post 1000% and I truly admire your bravery in speaking truth to power (the truth being that BWPS is NOT a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination and the power being the herd menatality of brianistas who seem to think that BWPS is the greatest album ever made). Glad to know that there are BB fanatics out there who feel the same way I do about BWPS. Smile WITH the BEACH BOYS is the only way it should ever be heard on record, IMO of course.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »

BWPS is the completed work.

BWPS was completed so they could play it live. I believe they were running out of ideas to keep Brian's live act alive. It was then recorded to make money.

Well that's a cynical way of looking at it.  I'm sure they wanted to make money but that doesn't mean there wasn't any artistic integrity in it.  I certainly think there was.  It's not like Brian was forced to do it against his will.  He was asked to do it, he agreed to do it, and he did it.  He did it with a lot of help but he did it.  And we should be glad he did.

I respect your opinion.

Would you have preferred if Brian left Smile alone rather than finish it?  Whatever happened behind the scenes, you can't deny that it sounds great.

I wish Brian would have left BWPS as a live performance. He/they did an incredible job with it in a concert setting.

To re-record the SMiLE songs, call it finished, and release it as such is a disgrace and a fraud. But that's a long story.

I do deny that it sounds great. While there are some parts of it that are good, especially parts of the second movement, I do not enjoy listening to it. Actually, I hardly ever listen to it.

I didn't preface each sentence with "In my opinion". It's understood.

SJS - you are my new favorite smiley smiler. I agree with your post 1000% and I truly admire your bravery in speaking truth to power (the truth being that BWPS is NOT a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination and the power being the herd menatality of brianistas who seem to think that BWPS is the greatest album ever made). Glad to know that there are BB fanatics out there who feel the same way I do about BWPS. Smile WITH the BEACH BOYS is the only way it should ever be heard on record, IMO of course.

If BWPS offends you so much, you can simply choose to     not     listen    to    it.   I think it's great that we have so many different forms of SMiLE to enjoy.  The real actual '66/'67 SMiLE never actually happened and never will.   I think that some people need to get over it and enjoy what we have.  End of story....

Btw, IMO, BWPS is not perfect in any way, but it is important.  Without it, things would have gone down quite differently.  Think about that.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2012, 10:23:46 PM »

No version of Smile is perfect. I'm not sure what's so offensive about Brian finishing Brian's work, but hay.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:28:25 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2012, 10:58:09 PM »

Is there any other album like SMiLE? Unfinished, but fans are able to make a multitude of versions with boots, etc for years? I'm not an expert on many bands, but I kind of doubt anything has taken on a life as this! 

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »

Is there any other album like SMiLE? Unfinished, but fans are able to make a multitude of versions with boots, etc for years? I'm not an expert on many bands, but I kind of doubt anything has taken on a life as this! 

A lot of other bands have unfinished albums along these lines, but I can't think of any on the same scale as Smile. Still a fair amount of mystery surrounding what would have gone where and the real intent of some of the pieces, and I don't think we'll ever really know some of this stuff.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2012, 11:51:21 PM »

Well, The Beatles and their Get Back -project is the closest thing, I guess... Hundreds of tapes, assemble your own. And what eventually came out was not what they originally intended. In fact, Get Back/Let It Be is like the polar opposite of Smile/Smiley Smile. They intended to make a warts and all -album, but ended up with quite a polished version.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
MBE
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2012, 12:12:35 AM »

If Brian would have participated Smile in the early seventies would have been cool because he and Dennis could still sing nearly the same. After that you have to loose something because their voices changed so much. Still the 2004 is a fun take on it but after the 2011 reissue I can't image playing the solo version again except on very rare occasions. The BD doc is pure garbage.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2012, 12:20:38 AM »

Well, The Beatles and their Get Back -project is the closest thing, I guess... Hundreds of tapes, assemble your own. And what eventually came out was not what they originally intended. In fact, Get Back/Let It Be is like the polar opposite of Smile/Smiley Smile. They intended to make a warts and all -album, but ended up with quite a polished version.

That's a bit more general, though - a lot of bands have had similar situations of unreleased albums coming out in altered form with the original intent being replaced by something totally different.

The thing that came to mind for me was Elliott Smith's From A Basement On The Hill album. He was working on it for about three years (amid some pretty gnarly drug addiction during the first two years) and died suddenly in late 2003 of what seemed to be a suicide. He spoke of it as a double album , seemed to hint at an "arc" approach (something about the songs slowly getting noisier and noisier) and possibly songs being linked together, and recorded well over 30 songs for it, most of which were fairly complete by the time of his death (one key piece is missing a lead vocal despite having a melody and lyrics written for it, sadly).

About a year after his death, a single disc album was put out featuring just 15 songs (one of which wasn't even his song or recording, by mistake) and much of the mixing and tracklist decisions were said to have been the work of his family and the people who were assembling the album instead of being his. A bunch of other songs from the sessions have leaked but have yet to see official release, and a number of them are kind of rambling instrumentals occasionally containing clear nods to other songs of his, and there are some other songs he played live in those years that are basically unaccounted for as far as studio recordings go (although he was known to be poor with keeping track of reels and documentation).

So yeah. There's a lot of mystery surrounding that album, but I wouldn't put it quite on par with Smile.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2012, 10:06:47 PM »

Ooh, nice to see there's another Elliott Smith fan on the board besides myself.  Wink

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2012, 10:16:39 PM »

Ooh, nice to see there's another Elliott Smith fan on the board besides myself.  Wink

Another one right here too!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »

Big fan and acquaintance of Elliott.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »

And another!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »

Me too! Now there's a guy who probably would've appreciated The BBs/BW's more melancholy moments...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »

Me too! Now there's a guy who probably would've appreciated The BBs/BW's more melancholy moments...

He did.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »

Oh, did he? I recall reading some interview with him where he mentions how he's never really liked The Beach Boys because he thought they were too upbeat or something. Guess he's not a fan of their early stuff!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2012, 01:41:46 PM »

He liked Pet Sounds.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2012, 02:33:28 PM »

I wish I could remember where it came out and when but I know it was the early 70's. It was a typical hits compilation but to the best of my recollection, one side was:
1.Heroes & Villains (single)
2. Wonderful (Smiley Smile)
3. Our Prayer (20/20)
4. Cabinessence (20/20)
5. Surf's Up (Surf's Up) 

Thanks! You got it!

Anyone know what this is?

Sound like the Capitol Years box set.  Wikipedia refers to a CD edition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Capitol_Years_%28The_Beach_Boys_album%29 but I have a vinyl copy and looking online, it appears to be from 1980 (I can't check it properly as my copy is on the other side of the world).   The first side of disc 5 runs thusly:

1. Good Vibrations
2. Wind Chimes
3. Cabinessence
4. Vegetables
5. Wonderful
6. Our Prayer
7. Heroes And Villains

All the standard album versions (though I believe Cabinessence is collapsed to mono).  I'm sure the booklet explicitly states that it's an attempt to reproduce a Smile listening experience.

Thanks! You got it!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »

http://cwas.hinah.com/interview/?id=11

There seems to be a hint of the Beach Boys on Bled White and I Didn’t Understand. Any direct influence from them?
No, I didn’t think about the Beach Boys. I liked some songs on Pet Sounds but it took me a while to come around to them because of all their songs about cars and surfing. It’s a little too all-American for me. But they’re really musical. I like that.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2012, 05:53:03 PM »

A lot of other bands have unfinished albums along these lines, but I can't think of any on the same scale as Smile. Still a fair amount of mystery surrounding what would have gone where and the real intent of some of the pieces, and I don't think we'll ever really know some of this stuff.

In terms of a "lost" album that fans have pieced together from bootlegs and then a record label eventually cobbled together themselves, SMiLE's closest rival is Jimi Hendrix's "First Rays Of The New Morning Sun". At one time, this was a much more famous lost album than SMiLE was (SMiLE-mania really kicked off in the 80's). The songs that were to be on "First Rays..." were scattered across myriad posthumous compilations and bootlegs and an entire cult built up around the album, with fans trying to piece together what Jimi may have had in mind. Eventually an "official" version came out (much like TSS) but it's still hotly debated as to whether this was Jimi's vision for the album.

We're lucky we had Brian around at all in 2004 to revive SMiLE. Any bitching about it is juvenile nonsense.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2012, 06:02:23 PM »

For more info (and a bit of deja vu) check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Rays_of_the_New_Rising_Sun
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx