-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 12:37:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  When Mitt Romney becomes president.... *FLUX THREAD!*
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: When Mitt Romney becomes president.... *FLUX THREAD!*  (Read 195935 times)
SBonilla
« Reply #275 on: September 18, 2012, 03:01:42 PM »

And Bush 2.0 can play the fool.
Make sure there is one  big X on the stage floor for him. And, just to be sure, have some one lead him to his spot.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 18, 2012, 03:04:12 PM »

No! I say, force him into the most unrestrained 70's Mike Love outfit and hand him a tambourine!
SBonilla
« Reply #277 on: September 18, 2012, 03:13:40 PM »

No! I say, force him into the most unrestrained 70's Mike Love outfit and hand him a tambourine!
Now we're getting somewhere. A little fun goes a long way.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 18, 2012, 10:35:03 PM »

I agree that there should be some kind of base regulatory system in place for racism when it comes to criminal cases like murder, rape, or pedophilia...but the other stuff can very easily be sorted out by the market place.

I'll state again, TRBB, that for 100 years AFTER the Civil War ended, The South continued Slavery by Another Name.  This is widely known, by anyone who studies this period.  And the "marketplace" could do nothing about it.  In fact, the "marketplace" was part of the "racket".

Surely, you must be aware of the common practices of debtors' peonage and convict labor, which provided the Southern "marketplace" with BLACK labor at absolutely NO COST!  These practices were not exceptions either -- but were common throughout The South.

And by the way, I don't think the Federal Government should be stepping in EVERYWHERE, but in cases such as civil rights, there was no other redress.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:55:34 PM by heysaboda » Logged

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 18, 2012, 10:54:38 PM »

My problem is that people want the government to take a stand on everything. Why do we need permission from the government to marry whomever we wish, regardless of sexual orientation or even the amount of people involved? We don't need MORE government in the bedroom. We don't need LESS government in the bedroom. We need ZERO government in the bedroom. What consenting adults do voluntarily is THEIR OWN BUSINESS. I don't care if you're straight, gay, up, down, left or right...no one should be prohibited by any governmental body from associating with whom they wish and marrying whom they wish. This goes far beyond civil rights...this is just common f***ing sense. Or at least it should be.

TRBB, people in favor of gay marriage are not asking for "permission" from they government.  They/we simply want SUCH marriages to to be legal, same as "straight" marriages.  We are talking about rights with respect to survivor's benefits, wills, end of life decisions by a surviving spouse, etc.  This is serious business.  We are talking about basic human dignity.

And, where your "marketplace" TRAMPLES all over that basic human dignity, and TRAMPLES over it TIME and TIME again, then, eff yeah, I have no problem with Big Government coming in to force people PLAY NICE!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Jason
« Reply #280 on: September 19, 2012, 07:36:44 AM »

I agree that there should be some kind of base regulatory system in place for racism when it comes to criminal cases like murder, rape, or pedophilia...but the other stuff can very easily be sorted out by the market place.

I'll state again, TRBB, that for 100 years AFTER the Civil War ended, The South continued Slavery by Another Name.  This is widely known, by anyone who studies this period.  And the "marketplace" could do nothing about it.  In fact, the "marketplace" was part of the "racket".

Surely, you must be aware of the common practices of debtors' peonage and convict labor, which provided the Southern "marketplace" with BLACK labor at absolutely NO COST!  These practices were not exceptions either -- but were common throughout The South.

And by the way, I don't think the Federal Government should be stepping in EVERYWHERE, but in cases such as civil rights, there was no other redress.

For the record, a free market involves voluntary transactions. Debtors' peonage and convict labor is not exactly "voluntary"; the fact that the government didn't do much about it doesn't seem to paint the big, bad, benevolent government in the best light, now does it?
Jason
« Reply #281 on: September 19, 2012, 07:40:20 AM »

My problem is that people want the government to take a stand on everything. Why do we need permission from the government to marry whomever we wish, regardless of sexual orientation or even the amount of people involved? We don't need MORE government in the bedroom. We don't need LESS government in the bedroom. We need ZERO government in the bedroom. What consenting adults do voluntarily is THEIR OWN BUSINESS. I don't care if you're straight, gay, up, down, left or right...no one should be prohibited by any governmental body from associating with whom they wish and marrying whom they wish. This goes far beyond civil rights...this is just common f***ing sense. Or at least it should be.

TRBB, people in favor of gay marriage are not asking for "permission" from they government.  They/we simply want SUCH marriages to to be legal, same as "straight" marriages.  We are talking about rights with respect to survivor's benefits, wills, end of life decisions by a surviving spouse, etc.  This is serious business.  We are talking about basic human dignity.

And, where your "marketplace" TRAMPLES all over that basic human dignity, and TRAMPLES over it TIME and TIME again, then, eff yeah, I have no problem with Big Government coming in to force people PLAY NICE!

The fact that they're not legal in most jurisdictions to begin with seems to imply the need for an official sanction, also known as "permission". And to that I say government should either recognize all marriages or civil unions or none at all. I'd prefer if government recognized none.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 19, 2012, 10:23:09 AM »

For the record, a free market involves voluntary transactions. Debtors' peonage and convict labor is not exactly "voluntary"; the fact that the government didn't do much about it doesn't seem to paint the big, bad, benevolent government in the best light, now does it?

Well, y'know, until they did in 1964.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: September 19, 2012, 10:17:39 PM »

Obama's "evolution" on gay marriage was so calculated and disingenuous. He obviously thinks the LGBT community is comprised of stupid people.

Seriously, I am happy that one politician, just one (who happens to be Prez), came out and finally did the right thing.  Can't we all be happy with that?

Cool Guy

No.  Because for starters, it is very apparent he is simply pandering to a group of people to win votes.  Second, not everyone likes the idea of redefining an institution to support a cause they might not necessarily agree with.  For various reasons, not everyone wishes to umbrella "heterosexuality" and "homosexuality" as the same thing under the same roof.   Personally, I don't blame same-sex couples for wanting their relationships legally recognized, but I think their approach in being accepted has, more often than not, been a misfire.  Just as I care not for bible-thumpers trying to force religion down my throat, I'm not exactly seeing the winning formula in antagonizing your beliefs on others.  Don't like Chick-fil-a's stance on gay marriage?  Well why not organize same-sex makeout sessions at their various restaurants?  'Cuz that'll really win those mean nay-sayers over!  Nothing really persuades a person to change their opinion more than being told they're hateful and evil for not agreeing with a different lifestyle!  The nerve of people having their own opinions and beliefs that differ from yours!

Obviously this is an issue that is not going to disappear and ultimately neither side is going to get exactly what they want out of it.  Which is why I think the idea of "civil unions" should be persued.  That way the "marriage traditionalists" can keep their marriages and same-sex couples could get their relationships legally recognized, and have an institution that is more applicable to them.  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:38:05 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jason
« Reply #284 on: September 19, 2012, 11:39:17 PM »

Obama's "evolution" on gay marriage was so calculated and disingenuous. He obviously thinks the LGBT community is comprised of stupid people.

Seriously, I am happy that one politician, just one (who happens to be Prez), came out and finally did the right thing.  Can't we all be happy with that?

Cool Guy

No.  Because for starters, it is very apparent he is simply pandering to a group of people to win votes.  Second, not everyone likes the idea of redefining an institution to support a cause they might not necessarily agree with.  For various reasons, not everyone wishes to umbrella "heterosexuality" and "homosexuality" as the same thing under the same roof.   Personally, I don't blame same-sex couples for wanting their relationships legally recognized, but I think their approach in being accepted has, more often than not, been a misfire.  Just as I care not for bible-thumpers trying to force religion down my throat, I'm not exactly seeing the winning formula in antagonizing your beliefs on others.  Don't like Chick-fil-a's stance on gay marriage?  Well why not organize same-sex makeout sessions at their various restaurants?  'Cuz that'll really win those mean nay-sayers over!  Nothing really persuades a person to change their opinion more than being told they're hateful and evil for not agreeing with a different lifestyle!  The nerve of people having their own opinions and beliefs that differ from yours!

Obviously this is an issue that is not going to disappear and ultimately neither side is going to get exactly what they want out of it.  Which is why I think the idea of "civil unions" should be persued.  That way the "marriage traditionalists" can keep their marriages and same-sex couples could get their relationships legally recognized, and have an institution that is more applicable to them.  

I agree, although if a gay couple wants a church wedding, let them go for it as long as the church is not otherwise forced or coerced into performing the marriage. There was some news in Denmark a few months ago about how the government there is now requiring churches to perform same-sex marriages, even if the church owners don't want to perform them. While I can certainly appreciate the step taken, I cannot support it like that because it's coercion. It's force. That's not life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness because you're forcing someone to do something against their personal beliefs, which is an infringement upon liberty.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 20, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »

Has anything positive Guv'ment/law-wise in this country ever been accomplished without pandering?Huh

BTW, how about we turn this thread back around to the subject of "When Mitt Romney becomes president" .....

Does anyone still think there's even the most remote possibility of this happening???
Jason
« Reply #286 on: September 20, 2012, 01:03:05 PM »

If Romney were to be elected president, nothing really would change. Both Romney and Obama are warmongers, both love corporations at the expense of everyone else, and both are just more of the same old, same old status quo.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 20, 2012, 01:10:37 PM »

If Romney were to be elected president, nothing really would change. Both Romney and Obama are warmongers, both love corporations at the expense of everyone else, and both are just more of the same old, same old status quo.

this.

And I do believe there is a high possibility of Romney becoming president.

"meet the new boss, same as the old."

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 20, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »

this.

And I do believe there is a high possibility of Romney becoming president.

"meet the new boss, same as the old."
YEAAAH! Rock! Rock! Rock! Rock!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #289 on: September 20, 2012, 01:23:15 PM »

Ron Paul's message still stands. I believe we need to get behind Gary Johnson. Sure, he's not as big on foreign policy as Ron Paul is, but he's more easily convinced than the other two dodos.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 20, 2012, 01:26:21 PM »

Gary Johnson is going to be my choice.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #291 on: September 20, 2012, 01:41:45 PM »

For all of you folks hung up on gay marriage, Gary Johnson actually had the nerve to run on a pro-gay marriage position as part of his campaign, not as a cry for votes six months before an election...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 20, 2012, 02:33:39 PM »

Well, yeah, yeah, sure, maybe.....

Then again, ONE good thing about Democrats/being a Democrat/liberal: you are allowed to change your mind for the better on a subject. You welcome information knowledge that can illuminate and inform one's views.... This Republican hard-ass vision of unwavering stubbornness in the face of fact/science/social tides is quite pathetic.... Who cares if Obama is pandering if he's actually supporting a cause???
If you're in a plane that's in a nosedive because the pilot is suicidal, do you care if he pulls out of the dive because someone convinces him he'll get a medal when the plane lands or do you insist that he convinces you he REALLY cares about the lives of everyone on board first?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 20, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeMGqTwWA6U

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 20, 2012, 02:52:49 PM »

"Politics is the entertainment division of the Military Industrial Complex"

- Frank Zappa
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 20, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »

No love for Jill Stein? Or anyone wishing Ralph Nader would run?  Huh

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: September 20, 2012, 09:54:56 PM »

Then again, ONE good thing about Democrats/being a Democrat/liberal: you are allowed to change your mind for the better on a subject. You welcome information knowledge that can illuminate and inform one's views.... This Republican hard-ass vision of unwavering stubbornness in the face of fact/science/social tides is quite pathetic.... Who cares if Obama is pandering if he's actually supporting a cause???
If you're in a plane that's in a nosedive because the pilot is suicidal, do you care if he pulls out of the dive because someone convinces him he'll get a medal when the plane lands or do you insist that he convinces you he REALLY cares about the lives of everyone on board first?

Anyone can change their mind or viewpoint on just about anything.  Doesn't matter which political party you may be a sheep to.  Let's not make ridiculous over-generalizations. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 21, 2012, 01:54:39 AM »

IDK people, Mitt Romney's campaign atm is kinda reminding me of this

But I guess there are a lot of goons out there prepared to vote for the MittBot.

Obama is pulling away from him in some crucial swing states iirc, but we've got the debates to come. Where the Mittbot will um and ahh until Barack solemnly introduces 47% of America into the hall to laugh at him or something.

I'm just saying, from my outsider perspective, Mitt Romney is conducting himself like intelligence, foresight, politically savvy and clear rational thought are Democratic principles only.

Btw, you guys,

http://romcom2012.tumblr.com/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:11:40 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: September 21, 2012, 09:17:54 AM »

Go to the Obama campaign website, and you too can "pledge allegiance" to whatever it is this image is asking you to pledge allegiance to. Then post a picture of it, hand over heart with a slogan written in pen on that hand, and you too can join the ranks of celebrities Jessica, Scarlett, and whoever the lesser-known people in these photos are pledging their allegiance.

I hope the nature of American politics hasn't gone as far as to suggest people pledge allegiance to any person, no matter who he/she is, what party he/she represents, or what office he/she holds. Because that, to me, is far beyond what politics or loyalty to any single person should be. It's a little too bizarre, but if that's what people want from any candidate of any political persuasion, the polls will be open in a few short weeks.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 21, 2012, 10:52:44 AM »

Anyone can change their mind or viewpoint on just about anything.  Doesn't matter which political party you may be a sheep to.  Let's not make ridiculous over-generalizations. 

I'm not saying they CAN'T, I'm saying (through my personal experience and observations) they simply DON'T!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: