-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  When Mitt Romney becomes president.... *FLUX THREAD!*
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: When Mitt Romney becomes president.... *FLUX THREAD!*  (Read 193039 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »

Give me your White House vision.
MR: I'd like it to be open and have people feel welcome there. I don't just mean touring it, but also come to the East Room and see a performance of some kind.

Like what?
MR: Well, I would certainly want to hear from the Beach Boys, even though I know it's not the same group it used to be.

http://www.parade.com/news/2012/08/26-conversation-with-the-romneys.html
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:53:38 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

No mas, por favor.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:26:32 PM »

GO REPUBLICANS!

rogerlancelot
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »

I wonder what Obama thinks about the Beach Boys. I mean everybody has at least one favorite Beach Boys song, right??? Maybe his is "You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone"?
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »

If the pre-sale isn't exclusively American Express, I am prepared to shed my personal values and vote for Mittens.

Also: I would die to hear Brian Wilson's candid comments from inside the White House.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:33:43 PM by ivy » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 06:19:28 PM »

No.

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 06:29:25 PM »

Live from the white house its the Beach Boys playing a medley of their most loved hits!

Cue Summer Of Love/Hey Little Tomboy/Roller Skating Child/Wrinkles medley

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 06:35:04 PM »

Live from the white house its the Beach Boys playing a medley of their most loved hits!

That's the perfect selection to represent Mitt Romney.  Embarrassing and creepy (though I actually do like Roller Skating Child to be honest).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:21:03 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 07:17:16 PM »

What's the over/under on BJ wearing shorts to the white house

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »

Give me your White House vision.
MR: I'd like it to be open and have people feel welcome there. I don't just mean touring it, but also come to the East Room and see a performance of some kind.

Like what?
MR: Well, I would certainly want to hear from the Beach Boys, even though I know it's not the same group it used to be.

http://www.parade.com/news/2012/08/26-conversation-with-the-romneys.html

Oh God no.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 07:44:49 PM »

Nothing like your favorite band being assoociated with pure evil, because people aren't dismissive of them enough as is. ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »

Nothing like your favorite band being assoociated with pure evil, because people aren't dismissive of them enough as is. ^_^

They've already buddied around with the Reagans and the cast of Full House, how much lower can they get?  Evil

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 08:05:27 PM »

The only thing that would make this all worthwhile is if Bruce were to have an endless supply of Pacificos in the Green Room.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »

BTW, Mike and Bruce played for Romney before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruB5nVKfNVg

You can see him at 1:07

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 08:59:20 PM »

You know the guys would just totally take the gig, too.

I know that playing the White House is an honor, but I could see these guys welcoming in Romney at his inaugural, and it really flips my wig.  Sometimes, sometimes, I have these moments where I am pulled away from the art, where I just realize the total discrepancy between myself and these fellows.  Mind you, with most of the bands I love, I don't have this problem.  Ever.  Now I realize that every one of the band members live in a tax bracket I'm likely to never even sniff, and I'm sure that living one's life in abject luxury every day must have it's effect, but I honestly don't believe it's the money, per se (even with other acts as absurdly wealthy and successful as the Beach Boys that I enjoy - my beloved Beatles, for example - I don't have this issue), but man, the more I think about it, there's something that just rubs me the wrong way with some of the things I see and hear.  Though I do get a positive feeling, in this regard, from Brian and (very much) from Al, I just can't shake the feeling that the most relatable fellas in the band are the ones who are already gone.

The plus side is that the guys have been generous with thier musical output, and as far as I can tell, have taken some very positive steps over the past few years to give the fans what we want to hear (something the folks over at NIRVANA, LLC could stand to learn from), leading to things like my high hopes for Made in California. I really don't mean to bad-mouth anybody.  I know nobody's perfect.  I love the music.  I suppose I just feel that since some of the group have been millionaires for so long (with at least one never knowing finacial hard times at all), that they make it seen as though they are really out of touch with the common man.  Honestly, I'm not bitter, and I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, but it just hits me sometimes.

Maybe I'm the only one.

Edit: You know what? I went and left out David.  I've never seen, felt or head anything but good things.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:20:30 PM by Generation42 » Logged
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 09:05:18 PM »

I know that playing the White House is an honor, but I could see these guys welcoming in Romney at his inaugural, and it really flips my wig.  Sometimes, sometimes, I have these moments where I am pulled away from the art, where I just realize the total discrepancy between myself and these fellows.  Mind you, with most of the bands I love, I don't have this problem.  Ever.  Now I realize that every one of the band members live in a tax bracket I'm likely to never even sniff, and I'm sure that living one's life in abject luxury every day must have it's effect, but I honestly don't believe it's the money, per se (even with other acts as absurdly wealthy and successful as the Beach Boys that I enjoy - my beloved Beatles, for example - I don't have this issue), but man, the more I think about it, there's something that just rubs me the wrong way with some of the things I see and hear.  Though I do get a positive feeling, in this regard, from Brian and (very much) from Al, I just can't shake the feeling that the most relatable fellas in the band are the ones who are already gone.

The plus side is that the guys have been generous with thier musical output, and as far as I can tell, have taken some very positive steps over the past few years to give the fans what we want to hear (something the folks over at NIRVANA, LLC could stand to learn from), leading to things like my high hopes for Made in California. I really don't mean to bad-mouth anybody.  I know nobody's perfect.  I love the music.  I suppose I just feel that since some of the group have been millionaires for so long (with at least one never knowing finacial hard times at all), that they make it seen as though they are really out of touch with the common man.  Honestly, I'm not bitter, and I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, but it just hits me sometimes.

Maybe I'm the only one.

Would you be saying all this if they played at the White House for the 'common man' Barack Obama?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 09:10:47 PM »

Maybe I'm the only one.

Would you be saying all this if they played at the White House for the 'common man' Barack Obama?

I wouldn't mind if they played for him.  Because President Obama has a health care plan, a reasonable tax solution, believes in a woman's right to choose, supports gay marriage and I can go on and on.  The Beach Boys are supposed to be America's band but I understand being irked if that America they stand for isn't the more progressive one.

EDIT: Sorry for making this political but I just feel like I need to make my case whenever somebody puts down Obama.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:18:15 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 09:28:27 PM »

Maybe I'm the only one.

Myself, personally, yes, as the idea of a Romney performance only served as a jumping off-point for the rest of my statement.  I've been feeling this way about some of the things I've seen and heard for a while now (certainly since bfore I just heard about this).  I don't hold any delusions that Obama, or sadly, anybody who will become President these days as having much in common with me.

But I take your point.
SG7
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 09:32:47 PM »

I would rather they play as we take what is a mess of this government. They can even change the lyrics to Anarchin' USA just for the proper occasion.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 09:41:08 PM »

EDIT: Sorry for making this political but I just feel like I need to make my case whenever somebody puts down Obama.

It's not a put-down to state that he doesn't have much in common with the 'common man'. It's the truth.

Having said that, I have absolutely no use for Obama and I feel anyone who believes either of these empty suits running for President really have any idea how to fix this country's woes is dangerously naive.

The Beach Boys in their prime represented a time when "hope" and "change" could actually mean something.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 10:25:49 PM »

Baba booey Baba booey BEACH BOYS ROCK Baba booey Baba booey

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »

That's the perfect selection to represent Mitt Romney.  Embarrassing and creepy (though I actually do like Roller Skating Child to be honest).

One more:  (in John McCain's words) Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran...

Romney wants more massive tax breaks for the rich, dramatic increases in military spending, and a war with Iran.  There isn't a single economist on Planet Earth who thinks his numbers come even close to adding up. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:38 PM »

SANDBOX COUNTDOWN 10, 9, 8, 7...

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:36 PM »

Politics and good music don't get along.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 12:32:53 AM »

That was Vince Vance & The Valiants, actually.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 12:33:16 AM »

Romney wants more massive tax breaks for the rich, dramatic increases in military spending, and a war with Iran.  There isn't a single economist on Planet Earth who thinks his numbers come even close to adding up. 

Don't forget that taking away disposable income from the low and middle class is of course the best way to keep and create domestic jobs  Roll Eyes I guess Mitt's education didn't teach him that one man's spending is another man's income.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: