gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:55:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Album  (Read 10564 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 11:08:12 AM »

I feel the same about Nevermind. When the rough mixes came out last year, a number of folks were freaking out. "It's Nevermind as it's meant to be heard!" "This is what Kurt wanted!" when I was thinking, "Not really, they're roughs, and they're far more gimmicky than the final." I really thought all but "Stay Away" sounded like total ass, with "Territorial Pissings" being interesting but maybe not on the level of the final. I haven't listened since then, maybe I'd feel differently now.

I feel like some folks are critical of Nevermind's production because Kurt criticized it mid-daily identity crisis (the guy was seemingly always contradicting and conflicting with himself in extremes - that's probably part of what made him a good songwriter) a couple times. Half of him indeed probably thought it was too over the top, but the other half? I have to imagine that half fucking loved it and realized it was ultimately the right move, at least for those songs.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 11:11:24 AM »

Very well stated.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »

If the tempo had just been picked up a bit on a few songs I would like it better (which I still like it quite a bit).  LOL
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 12:01:01 AM »

Oh I love the album.  Always have always will, I'm not saying anything's wrong with it, i'm just saying I have a lot of memories wrapped up in it so I probably appreciate it more than it deserves. 

Ain't it funny how a melody can bring back a memory?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »

Birthday present, age 12:

First LP bought with own money ('65?):

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
MBE
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2013, 12:40:05 AM »

I just knew my mom had to buy me it, I guess it was fate that I would become the First Edition biographer. I was five.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2013, 01:02:07 AM »

The first batch of cd's I ever got was(were?) the John Lennon Live In New York City sound track cd, the Imagine Soundtrack cd, and an Elvis greatest hits cd. I think that was the same Christmas I got my first cd player. I was about nine or ten. That was an AWESOME Christmas, and I haven't been the same since.  Smiley I think the first cd I bought myself was Who's Missing by The Who. Or possibly A Quick One While He's Away by the same group.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2013, 02:56:23 PM »

Beach Boys Endless Summer was my first album. My second one was Kiss Rock & Roll Over. My third was either Beach Boys Surfer Girl (the Pickwick version) or Alice Cooper Killer. All great albums!

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2013, 08:16:10 PM »

The first vinyl album I ever owned was a horribly scratched (but still playable) second-or-third hand copy of The Beatles' "Revolver", which I got about four years ago at the start of Jr. High School.

The first CD I ever bought was "The White Album". If you wanted to go REALLY far back the first songs I remember hearing was "Loves Me Like a Rock" by Paul Simon and "Good News" by The Gaithers.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2013, 11:01:15 PM »

First CD:

First CD bought with my own money...My defense is that I was 15 at the time. I disowned these guys by the time I was 18...

Second CD I bought with my own money and still one of my favorite albums to this day:

Probably the 50th CD I'd ever bought, but quite an important one:

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »

The Eminem Show.

My taste has changed a lot.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 11:08:59 PM »

First Vinyl with my own money:

First CD with my own money:

First MP3 I paid for:

First Box Set:
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »

1st CD I bought with my own money [I can't remember the 2nd half!]:

1st LP bought [2nd hand]:

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »

I feel the same about Nevermind. When the rough mixes came out last year, a number of folks were freaking out. "It's Nevermind as it's meant to be heard!" "This is what Kurt wanted!" when I was thinking, "Not really, they're roughs, and they're far more gimmicky than the final." I really thought all but "Stay Away" sounded like total ass, with "Territorial Pissings" being interesting but maybe not on the level of the final. I haven't listened since then, maybe I'd feel differently now.

I feel like some folks are critical of Nevermind's production because Kurt criticized it mid-daily identity crisis (the guy was seemingly always contradicting and conflicting with himself in extremes - that's probably part of what made him a good songwriter) a couple times. Half of him indeed probably thought it was too over the top, but the other half? I have to imagine that half fucking loved it and realized it was ultimately the right move, at least for those songs.

This is all just a gimmick to make more money.  The way Kurt wanted Nevermind to sound was how it was released.  He may have said things sometimes that contradicted that, but he also blew his brains out with a shotgun.   Not exactly the most level headed guy in the room.  I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere.

It's interesting to hear alternate takes and things, but just removing instruments and mixing sh*t differently is nothing more than a gimmick to make more money off the fans, because the record company is literally just fabricating new Nirvana sh*t!  At least if it's alternate takes, it might be something you never heard, and it's another chance to hear your favorite music being recorded. 

Same thing with "let it Be Naked".  Complete joke, designed to stroke Paul's ego and to make Michael Jackson's kids more money.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 10:06:27 PM »

1st CD I bought with my own money [I can't remember the 2nd half!]:

1st LP bought [2nd hand]:

I like the Red album better than the Blue album, I'm not sure though if that's just to be contrarian.  Gotta wonder.  The red album has "In My Life" on it though, that's the first place I ever heard it.  Really quite a collection of really nice pop songs.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2013, 10:08:29 PM »

The Eminem Show.

My taste has changed a lot.

Nothing wrong with that, or your taste changing, but make sure your taste didn't change because of the embarassment.  Lots of closet Eminem fans out there.  He was very talented for a while there...
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »

My first CD was Ocean Avenue by Yellowcard. My first LP was Pet Sounds.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2013, 07:24:45 PM »

I still listen to it. Not in an ironic "LOL SOOO RETRO" way, either.

That's a great album, I don't know why time has forgotten them.  It's very moody to me, though, it reminds me of bad times for some reason.  Something about her voice is just so nice though, she's not even trying and it sounds fantastic.  All the keyboards and sh*t in the backround help too. 

They were their generation's answer to Abba.  Sad about what happened to Lynne though.  I've read that she's happy she walked away from it all though.

Although it wasn't my first album, I'll always claim the first album I ever bought was Counting Crows: "August & Everything After".  The record really meant a lot to me at the time and still does

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »

Aside from kiddie albums like SESAME STREET, the first "real" LP I ever owned was Elvis' ALOHA FROM HAWAII.   
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 03:23:33 AM »

The Beatles: Let It Be. It cost me almost half a weeks wages back in the day.

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2013, 10:07:14 AM »

These two, bought at Arlan's Department Store for $2.49 each:  Love

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »

I still listen to it. Not in an ironic "LOL SOOO RETRO" way, either.

Before that, it was just listening to my parents' Van Halen albums (albums I also still listen to) and the radio. My second album, bought a few months after The Sign, was The Offspring's Smash album (yes, that too).
Oh, I know this band, heard them a lot on a local radio staish. "The Sign" (the song) is good. But I always enjoyed "Hallo, Hallo" from "Singles of the 90s" (which oddly was released in 2000). Positively cool song, or cooly positive. Some wouldn't like her accent, but it's not bad, actually. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fw-uo36QAQ

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »

I grew up listening to Bob Seger, Dire Straits and Rod Stewart, thanks to my mom. But those were her tapes.

Back in 1990, the first album I bought (on cassette) was:

The first CD I bought with my own money, and one of the first CDs we had for our brand-new CD player, 1993:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:36:34 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »

Elvis Gold Records and Moody Blue (on the same day)
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 08:07:32 AM »

The first album I bought for myself that was not really at the request or suggestion of my brother was this probably:

Michael Jackson was the first original musical love and I think has informed almost everything I love in music. The open-hearted nature of his performance, of his singing style really affected me in a positive way, particularly because I was so introverted and full of anxieties. It pleased me greatly that he was a person uncomfortable in conversation but when tasked with performance he became a different caliber of human being. I grew up hearing Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad and Dangerous and this was the first time I was the one buying the new album. That made me happy.

I still think that this is a highly underrated album and with a little re-sequencing and editing becomes one of his strongest works. For my personal taste I cut a couple songs and include Blood on the Dance Floor (excellent album!). I recommend it to all who have a taste for later MJ:

Scream
They Don't Care About Us
Stranger In Moscow - I think in the top 5 songs of his career.
Morphine - intensely personal and I think a hell of an influence on The Weeknd and recent dark R&B.
2 Bad - sounds so much better up front and alongside songs with a connected mood.
Superfly Sista
This Time Around
Tabloid Junkie
Money
Earth Song - I think undoubtedly his best cause song and production partially because of the sinister tone.
Blood on the Dance Floor
Come Together
D.S.
Ghost - Of all the great stuff they did together, this is probably my favourite Teddy Riley collaboration.
Is It Scary
You Are Not Alone - after getting away from the time when this was everywhere at all times, it is possible to appreciate how ridiculously smooth and accomplished a track it is.
History
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:11:04 AM by MugginsXO » Logged

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx