gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:21:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Album  (Read 10500 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2012, 03:48:19 PM »

What was the first real album you owned?
Mine was "Zoso" or "Led Zeppelin 4" on CD, hey I'm young!

Now I have 3 copies of it on vinyl, the 3rd signed by all 4 members hanging on my wall Smiley I treasure it!

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »

The first album I owned was Grover Sings The Blues.

But the first album I bought with my own money was Diamond Dogs.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:38:31 PM »

Got "Surfin' Surfari" for Christmas, 1963....

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 06:31:05 AM »

Talk about forgive me father I have sinned...

Hootie and the Blowfish Cracked Rear View

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 07:22:36 AM »

Def Leppard - Adrenalzie on cd

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »

A bit embarrassing but me and my brother worked all day cleaning the walls and windows in our house to purchase...

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »

I'm happy to report it was "Best of the Beach Boys Vol. 2" (age 12); I only bought singles before then.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:36:48 AM »

A bit embarrassing but me and my brother worked all day cleaning the walls and windows in our house to purchase...

Not embarrassing, that is a great album.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 11:39:42 AM »

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UzC8_fpgm5Q/T2r2ZjEnz9I/AAAAAAAAFcw/08aJZYfK48M/s1600/cyndi-lauper-shes-so-unusual-album-cover1.jpg

Oh I agree. I am just conditioned to most people's reaction when I tell them that; which is usually something along these lines:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:41:31 AM by pixletwin » Logged
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »

The first two cassettes I remember having as a child that weren't kid's songs were Elvis's Golden Records and The Beach Boys - Concert Days.
I grew up listening to the oldies station, then started listening to crap as a teenager, including an unfortunate metalcore phase. Thankfully that's a decade behind me.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 12:10:23 PM »

Herb Alpert - Greatest Hits
Beach Boys - Greatest Hits
_____

The rest were obscure classical albums and childrens sing-a-long crap. But those were the first two real albums I owned.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »

My first album was (and I can't believe I'm bringing this up) "All Rise" by the boyband Blue. My first single (on cassette) was "Witch Doctor" by The Cartoons. I played it a lot and one day I found the tape pulled out of the cassette, making it impossible to play. My parents swore blind they had no idea what happened, but I have my doubts. Ahh growing up in the 90's.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 12:30:01 PM »

1st LP

1st CD

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 12:52:06 PM »

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »

1st album owned:

1st bought with own money:

1st CD bought with own money:

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »

Got "Surfin' Surfari" for Christmas, 1963....

Perfect!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 02:09:07 AM »

First CD i remember buying with own money....

(Little L is a stone cold jam and I will fight anyone who dares to suggest otherwise)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 09:24:13 AM »

First one I owned, as selected from BMG or Columbia record club when my parents allowed each of us kids to pick one record:

(Image not showing...damn. It is The Muppets' The Muppet Movie Soundtrack.)

(I recall my older sister picked the Eagles' The Long Run. I still believe strongly I got the best of the deal.)

First I ever bought with my own money:

(Double damn, image not showing. This is Europe's The Final Countdown. And Joey Tempest was such a looker, you're all missing out by this one not displaying.)

and

So in hindsight, I guess I can relate to my sister after all: teenage (or I guess in this case, preteen, as I was 11 with these) purchases can go horribly, horribly awry. But I still stand behind the Muppet Movie soundtrack and listen to it regularly.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:26:28 AM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 07:52:56 PM »

I still listen to it. Not in an ironic "LOL SOOO RETRO" way, either.

Before that, it was just listening to my parents' Van Halen albums (albums I also still listen to) and the radio. My second album, bought a few months after The Sign, was The Offspring's Smash album (yes, that too).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:02:28 PM by . » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 11:27:54 PM »

The first album that I went to the store and paid for was "Nevermind".  I had a girl I was really into and she really liked Nirvana, so I drove to the store and bought it to play in my walkman.  She had two of the Stone Temple Pilots CD's, so between the three we had things down pat.   

To this day I'm not sure if those three albums are any good, or if I'm just very romantic. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 11:30:14 PM »

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UzC8_fpgm5Q/T2r2ZjEnz9I/AAAAAAAAFcw/08aJZYfK48M/s1600/cyndi-lauper-shes-so-unusual-album-cover1.jpg

Oh I agree. I am just conditioned to most people's reaction when I tell them that;

Most people are capable of being morons from time to time.  Most people also love that album, they just don't want to admit it. 

How anybody can look at Cyndi Lauper and not just want to give her a hug is beyond me.  National treasure, in my opinion. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 11:32:54 PM »

I still listen to it. Not in an ironic "LOL SOOO RETRO" way, either.

That's a great album, I don't know why time has forgotten them.  It's very moody to me, though, it reminds me of bad times for some reason.  Something about her voice is just so nice though, she's not even trying and it sounds fantastic.  All the keyboards and sh*t in the backround help too. 
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 09:18:19 AM »

The first album that I went to the store and paid for was "Nevermind".  I had a girl I was really into and she really liked Nirvana, so I drove to the store and bought it to play in my walkman.  She had two of the Stone Temple Pilots CD's, so between the three we had things down pat.   

To this day I'm not sure if those three albums are any good, or if I'm just very romantic. 

You're not sure if Nevermind is any good? Really? I can set your mind to rest on that one. Yes. It is good. Very, very, very good.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »

Nevermind is a great album because the songs are great. But Butch Vig's production nearly sterilized them.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »

Nevermind was meant to be more than just another excellent college-rock hit of that era. That is why the production had to be as commercial as it was. Personally, although I understand folks' criticism of the production, I love it. I love commercial records.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx