gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:04:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 70: Rod Laver Arena - Melbourne, AU 8/31/12  (Read 33913 times)
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »

This is the first clip I've seen since they added "Darlin'"

Sheesh...Darian just absolutely nails that. So, so good.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 12:08:48 PM »

They just keep better as this tour rolls along...it'd be a real shame if these are the last "real" Beach Boys concerts.

I of course know what you mean but imo goin' out on a high note wouldn't be the worst thing. In fact it's probably the best...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 12:37:29 PM »

They just keep better as this tour rolls along...it'd be a real shame if these are the last "real" Beach Boys concerts.

I of course know what you mean but imo goin' out on a high note wouldn't be the worst thing. In fact it's probably the best...

Well, I actually agree with you, but if Mike/Bruce go out on tour again and Brian and Al go their merry ways and things are right back to where they were a year ago, is it really going out on a high note?

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 01:01:57 PM »

Well, I actually agree with you, but if Mike/Bruce go out on tour again and Brian and Al go their merry ways and things are right back to where they were a year ago, is it really going out on a high note?

It's not, Mike and Bruce are petty shameless when you think about

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 01:19:21 PM »

I can understand, it's like spring vacation - pretty soon you go back to the way things were. It is not only up to the members of the Beach Boys, but there are band members, families, managers, agents etc.....while it would be awesome for The Beach Boys to always be together for the rest of their career, it's just not that simple. Of course, a lot of arrangements and agreements could be made, but there's so many legalities there, I don't know that it would ever work. Probably best for the 'meat & potatoes' crowd to go and catch M&B's show, and the rest of the people who are into the artier side of the band see Brian if/when he tours again. I could see Dave staying on with M&B's outfit if he was asked, it doesn't seem like he has as many binds as Al and Brian do.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 01:26:31 PM »

Well, that depends on how you see things. When it ends after this tour it's not the Beach Boys anymore to me; just like after Carl died and Al left/was fired. I see your point though

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 01:41:32 PM »

I can live with various manifestations and incarnations and occasional full-band shows/events, as long as they do not officially end the BB as they are now. All promotional documents say that the BB are "their 5 names here."I can't see the reason for dissolving this in full legalistic mode when they can continue to release albums, oversee productions of DVD and re-issues and also do their own shows with mini-groups.  I suppose a fan wants to feel the spiritual capital of unity even if it means they will not "all" be at "every" show.

Bring on the next single, the next album.  I have seen this show 3 times and fulfilled all my dreams in that regard. I would still go to see any BB (or combination thereof)  performing in any venue near me. They have made good on the fans' dreams. . . .noting more to prove.

But I do want more albums, more songs, more of their new unity and creativity on albums.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »

I can't see the reason for dissolving this in full legalistic mode when they can continue to release albums, oversee productions of DVD and re-issues

Hm, I don't think the Beach Boys ever gave a sh!t about their DVDs or re-releases with the exception maybe of TSS. Do you think that would change now? I somehow can't imagine....  Brow
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:17:06 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »

Don't know if it has happened at other gigs but as the band left the stage, various members of both Brians band and Mike/ Bruce band were taking pictures of themselves with the huge crowd behind them. It looked like a 'can you believe this?' photo shoot. They are going to find it pretty hard going back to Civy Street after this year.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »

Another 30 plus mins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdp7QfwBn6w&feature=channel&list=UL
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 08:46:52 AM »

I can't see the reason for dissolving this in full legalistic mode when they can continue to release albums, oversee productions of DVD and re-issues

Hm, I don't think the Beach Boys ever gave a sh!t about their DVDs or re-releases with the exception maybe of TSS. Do you think that would change now? I somehow can't imagine....  Brow

Yes, Rocker, I agree. I ought to have said that they can still produce material for us to enjoy (or "stuff can be put out") without their touring all together all the time.  I doubt they will l"break up" in any formal , announced fashion--the spiritual energy for some sort of perpetual unity is too strong.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2012, 09:25:26 AM »

Don't know if it has happened at other gigs but as the band left the stage, various members of both Brians band and Mike/ Bruce band were taking pictures of themselves with the huge crowd behind them. It looked like a 'can you believe this?' photo shoot. They are going to find it pretty hard going back to Civy Street after this year.

First, great vids!

Second, "Can you believe this?" No one can believe it! Even them, maybe.  

They are pretty grounded, I think.  But, the synergy among the bands was absolutely amazing.  It gave them an opportunity to work with each other's guys.  

My observation is that they are re-energized.  Especially Brian.  I bet we have not seen the last of them. (re-united)

And, they still "got it!"  Wink

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:39:13 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 03:11:57 PM »

The last 13 minutes before his memory ran out. Thanks to 'crimeofthecentury' whoever you are for almost 2 hours of clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pit98LdrcXo
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »

Source: http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/photos/galleries/194753/beach-boys-2.htm#1

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2012, 01:01:34 PM »

Source: http://www.smoothfm.com.au/article/review-beach-boys-melbourne

- Jack Rieley
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »

Great pics Rocker! Thanks.

I've been listening to the first 30 minutes and am surprised to hear Jeff struggling so much. I don't believe I've ever heard him have such an off night.

Also surprised to hear how good David Marks sounds singing lead on Getcha Back.

Oh no! Brian's lead on YSGTM. Ouch.

And then Darian absolutely kills on Darlin'!

Just some random thoughts. Overall the band sounded really good.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 03:01:34 PM »

Al really should have done YSGTM on this tour.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2012, 12:05:39 PM »

Brian's lead on You're So Good To Me was pretty wince-inducing in Perth as well.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 03:28:11 AM »

I was there! And it was such a good show!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx