gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:42:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 70: Rod Laver Arena - Melbourne, AU 8/31/12  (Read 33902 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2012, 03:32:15 PM »

Info

4 more shows till the end of the 2012 Celebration Tour
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:33:53 PM by Justin » Logged
Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 12:03:16 AM »

Just lost my virginity with this post as it's my first. So pumped for the Melbourne gig because I'm taking my wife to her first BB's show. Over the moon that we get the full set list and video wall. She's not a fan so I'm hoping she says at the end "I get it now". Forever was our wedding song so we'll have a little cuddle during the tributes. Section I row KK if anyone is close by to say g'day. This is if I survive the excitement of the Sydney show first. Meet an Greet package and front row!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »

Well this is my show after several months of reports and youtube clips!

Just went jogging and went around the venue. Can report a big rig parked outside with roadies ready to go.

The group, including seniors, has managed to make the venues and put on some great shows.
I have managed to fly from NZ 2 weeks ago, travel through 3 states by car and plane, arrange rooms and meals, and plan to be at the venue early. My request is to those who a rude and turn up once the gig has started. Here's an idea. I was unsure on a drive time to an airport yesterday so LEFT 15 MINUTES EARLY PEOPLE!!! Weird concept to some I know but try it tonight.

Stop by tonight and say hi if you like. I will be the guy abusing late comers! Grin
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:01:56 PM »

Just lost my virginity with this post as it's my first. So pumped for the Melbourne gig because I'm taking my wife to her first BB's show. Over the moon that we get the full set list and video wall. She's not a fan so I'm hoping she says at the end "I get it now". Forever was our wedding song so we'll have a little cuddle during the tributes. Section I row KK if anyone is close by to say g'day. This is if I survive the excitement of the Sydney show first. Meet an Greet package and front row!

Hey Maurice, welcome to the board! Great night last night it's just a shame my car was a bit more subdued than the taxi ride from the Enmore! I saw a great quote from Greg Swan this morning regarding last nights show, he said: "I hope they had some sawdust under The Professor :-) "
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:06:37 PM »

Stop by tonight and say hi if you like. I will be the guy abusing late comers! Grin

LOL  Cool, I promise to be on time.  I've been counting down the hours, I'm moving onto counting minutes from 4pm onwards.

I'll be kicking around KK, same row as Moz from Oz (Welcome MOZ)!  Hope to say hi, + to any other Smilers who may be there.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:58:23 PM »

Info

4 more shows till the end of the 2012 Celebration Tour

If we're feeling generous, we could count Mike and Bruce's dates in October as the "South American leg" of the tour.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 06:42:36 AM »

Just got out of Show 70 - Fcukin' Ace show, no Betsy, more details tomorrow- there might be some audio

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:55:29 AM »

No Betsy after somebody on here noted it slows down the show..

I think were in control of the set list  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 02:57:23 PM »

Wow wee !! Went to the Sydney show and that was awesome but I can't believe what I witnessed last night in Melbourne. From memory it was the same setlist as Sydney but Betsy out, California Dreamin in. Works for me. Hands down, the best Sail on Sailor I've ever heard Brian do, both live in person or YT clips, EVER !! Hopefully a video pops up. Smashed Add Some Music, H&V,IJWMFTT. Man he was on fire vocally. Brought tears to my eyes. In fact, all the guys were. After the sydney show I developed a man crush on Al. Even more so now.Venue almost full, around 10,000 I'd say and a great mix of young and old. Was great to meet Alholio71. And yes, Tony, thanks for the pleasant ride the other night. More later. Just about to hit off the 1st tee
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 11:00:54 PM »

The setlist is up on setlists fm--wow, you guys got a good one in that respect! 
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 12:50:58 AM »

The setlist is up on setlists fm--wow, you guys got a good one in that respect! 

It was an amazing set-list, the songs just kept rolling out! They started just after 8, and after a tight 20 minute interval didn't finish till around 11.10pm! I don't know how the old fella's do it!

We are very very blessed to have had this happen - If someone had told me a year or two ago that I would be seeing all the remaining beach boys together for a concert and  that they would be playing "All this is that," "It's OK," "Add some music" and "Little Honda" (to name but a few) I would have been somewhat astounded!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 02:50:07 AM »

So what else can I add that has not already been said this tour? Not a lot really! But I would like to mention some thoughts and highlights 24 hours later.

Brian should never tour as the solo artist again. Having seen him on both the PS and Smile tours, his voice can not last  for 30 plus songs. I was worried that having played Sydney the night before that the Melbourne Brian may have been worn out. That concern lasted until his solo during 'Do It Again'. His mic was UP, his voice strong, and it lasted for the entire setlist. I watched him a lot and he was involved in every song in some small part either tinkering on the keyboard or adding to the vocals. He and Al even ended 'Kokomo' sharing a mic. When asked to intro the Dennis and Carl tribute's he launched right in and spoke well.  Several years ago I made the comment that Brian owed himself a chance to perform well with the Beach Boys after some of his less than ideal gigs. I witnessed one of those performances last night.

Dave Marks. One smooth looking dude and I'm glad I got to hear him! Prominent on the guitar and loud like I wanted him to be. I've watched lots of clips this tour but one I never bothered with was 'Barbara Ann' but he tore it up! Fantastic.

Al. Great voice as has been said. Came in far to early on 'Don't Worry Baby' which was the only glitch of the whole evening.

Mike. Mr Consistent. Look up any review over the last 5 months if you need to know.

Bruce. No cheerleaders now days so he is it! Nice 'Disney Girls' and a live first for me. Kept mic adjusting to a minimum.

All onstage looked to be enjoying themselves. An important point for a good concert for me.

And thank you to all those who heeded my call and arrived on time. Only a few passed me close by the soundboard section but one who did several times was that big guy protecting Brian at the rail station a few weeks back. Thought it better not to give him a verbal spray!

To any involved with the tour who may read this. Thanks for a special night!

Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch A Wave
Hawaii
Don’t Back Down
Surfin’ Safari
Surfer Girl
You’re So Good To Me
Getcha Back
Please Let Me Wonder
Wendy
Kiss Me Baby
Let Him Run Wild
Then I Kissed Her
Darlin’
Isn’t It Time
Come Go With Me
Why Do Fools Fall In Love
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
Disney Girls
Good Timin’
Its OK
Cotton Fields
Be True To Your School
California Saga
Don’t Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Pet Sounds
Add Some Music To Your Day
Heroes And Villains
I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times
Sloop John B
Wouldn’t It Be Nice
In My Room
All This Is That
That’s Why God Made The Radio
California Dreamin’
Sail On Sailor
Forever (vocal Dennis Wilson)
God Only Knows (vocal Carl Wilson)
Good Vibrations
California Girls
All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance
Surfin’ USA

Kokomo
Barbara Ann
Fun Fun Fun
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 02:52:10 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 03:26:42 AM »

Just got out of Show 70 - Fcukin' Ace show, no Betsy, more details tomorrow- there might be some audio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgVYJGWwa4
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 03:31:14 AM »

Hey, nice one Moz, Mabewa, Zargo and Pretty Funky, how good was that?

A full throttle event from the first boom of the kick drum, the Beach Boys treated Melbourne to a huge night and ended on a rapturous high replete with a standing ovation from the more than appreciative close to full house crowd.  As Pretty Funky hinted at, with 69 shows in the bag, the touring party have the routine down pat, but here's a thing or 2 for those interested.

Brian kicked off masterfully, pushing out the "quiet" (not) section of Do it Again with a commanding grace, befitting the heartfelt welcoming cheer the entire audience had given him minutes earlier during Jeff F's introductions.  His individual performances were beautiful, and while his overall presence was slightly overshadowed by Mike and Al, it's nothin' less than fcukin' cool to see the great man live.

Mike's vocal on All This Is That was amazing - hypnotic and evocative, and he sounded exactly like the recorded version, note for note, tone for tone.  He was on fire throughout the whole night, as per the myriad reviews we've seen here, and was more than worthy of Brian's mid way description ("the well endowed Mike Love").

While Bruce struggled through Wendy - he blew the first solo line and seemed to putting in a lot of effort to keep it up - he bounced back with a stellar Disney Girls, a real highlight for me; and his gestures to the crowd were like a magic wand - stand up now, clap and scream now - with the crowd following his every command, unquestioned.

David just blew me out of the water - talk about a smokin' axe-grinder; one minute resuscitating the Chuck Berry surf riffs, the next shredding it up and really bringing in the Rock to complement Brian's Roll.  His Getcha Back totally changes the song (although I love Mike's recorded vox) and David owned it beautifully.

Al.  Al!!!  Man, he was a bit quiet for the first 25 mins or so, but once Mike and Brian settled in and handed over to Al, he kinda blew everyone off the stage - I'm with Moz From Oz  about the man crush.  I would go and see an Al show without question - he wouldn't even have to turn up, I'd be in heaven just being there  LOL  He was mainly on his white strat, and cranked out his red Jag/Stingray for a couple of tunes.

The band was on fire, as always - Jeff's first half vocals were a bit wobbly, especially his falsetto in Surfer Girl, but his second half and the encore, particularly, err cough, Kokomo were impecable.  Scott T was a little earnest on Let Him Run, but what a great set of pipes and a snappy dresser too boot.  Darian's Darlin' was a killer; Scott B, Mike D, N Wonder and Nelson just make ya wanna get up and move, those guys rock!  Paul V-M was constantly in the spot-light and really delivered.

But my favourite thing the whole night, other than the boys of course, was Probyn's dancin' during the La-la-la section of Heros and Vilians (2nd verse) - really really cool, made me smile and I hope it gets on "the" DVD.

Wasn't a total sell-out, but almost, only a few nose bleeds left - strange crowd; Generally appreciative but you could feel the vibe lower a little during the non-hits;  there was this crazy moment during All Summer Long - when the song started EVERYONE was up and dancin', then just after the instrumental break, everyone kinda sat down - except for me and a few others - I thought fcuk it, I'm gonna keep goin' even tho' I ain't a pretty dancer  LOL  I was also a little suprised that Kokomo seemed to get the biggest reaction of the night.

I left with a big smile on my face, that hasn't gone away yet - a handy thing, as my voice is still wrecked from shouting along - I ain't a pretty singer.  

You Limeys, Scotts and Paddies are in for a massive, massive time

75th Anniversary anyone?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 04:45:08 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 03:35:12 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgVYJGWwa4

Cool, thanks Pretty Funky!!!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 01:35:32 PM »

Half an hour of the first set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SVCrYTx0rE

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:36:40 PM by STE » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »

Awesome

DJole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 02:41:04 PM »

You Melbourne guys rule!!! Thanks a lot!  Grin Grin Grin
It's a pity that Sydney and Brisbane people are not so willing to share with the community!!!  Cry Cry Cry
Way to go Melbourne!!!  Wink
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »

Facebook:

Beach Boys' 50th Celebration Cake in Melbourne

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 03:17:41 PM »

New piano/keyboard frame for Brian or an actual grand piano?  Probably new frame, eh?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 03:43:49 AM »

A few clips starting to appear from this poster.

And Then I Kissed Her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMYs1YxVZ6s&feature=channel&list=UL
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 05:18:51 AM »

40 more minutes, including "Let Him Run Wild" and "Isn't It Time (single version)":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQI4LnpqoY

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:31:05 AM by STE » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 08:14:59 AM »

A few clips starting to appear from this poster.

And Then I Kissed Her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMYs1YxVZ6s&feature=channel&list=UL

Brian has a big grin on his face for that song. You can tell he loves it

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 10:05:44 AM »

40 more minutes, including "Let Him Run Wild" and "Isn't It Time (single version)":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQI4LnpqoY

Woho, cool !!
I like this new "Isn't it time" better. You could argue about the lyrics in the middle-part but the album version sounds too soft at that part imo.
Brian's into it !  Smiley

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 11:33:21 AM »

Great long videos posted here guys...thanks.

You can really hear Brian in most of the backing vocals in these videos.

Good stuff. They just keep better as this tour rolls along...it'd be a real shame if these are the last "real" Beach Boys concerts.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx