gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:38:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 69: Allphones Arena - Sydney, AU 8/30/12  (Read 54312 times)
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 05:16:54 PM »

I love Bruce's reaction to Brian calling GOK a "good song".  Grin
Grin It was perfect!  He was like "Are you kidding me?!!" Cheesy
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »

I love Bruce's reaction to Brian calling GOK a "good song".  Grin

I was hoping it was more of a reaction to that stupid Paul McCartney question  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 05:35:49 PM »

Awoken and refreshed!!

Grin

Brian was on last night, big time, a few botched vocals and timing (false start on TWGMTR scotched the miming theory), most of his hiccups were minor. Sail On Sailor was fantastic but IJWFTT was spectacular, Brian nailed it with a great contribution from Al. I'm not sure what people's expectations are of Brian, surely by now fans of the band know the story and whys and why nots.

Al is the MAN! His voice is fantastic especially on Cottonfields and Then I Kissed Her.

Bruce was high in the mix and his vocals a bit strained (especially on Wendy) but that's not a surprise given the night before ...  Wink

Dave is Mr Cool

Mike Mr Showmanship.

The band ... FANTASTIC ... as usual.

Thought the first set went a bit flat around the Good Timin' and Ballad Of Ol' Betsy section. Betsy should be dropped, it sucked the vibe out of the room, toss it and bring back This Whole World (or Surf's Up - the band want to do it). Second set was awesome with the Pet Sounds >>> SMiLE >>> Carl And The Passions >>> Holland opening and then just rollicking along to the encore.

The girlfriend made me dance to Fun x 3 and singalong and sway to Kokomo ... To my surprise I don't feel dirty for doing so and the world didn't end so my karma must still be good.

Man, Marc and his crew are filming the bejebus out of everything that moves on this tour, there are three DVD productions in the works ... this is going to be spectacular. Also the video feed within the venue from Marc's crew was fantastic.

Agree 100%, Brian's vocals were as good as you will ever see again. He was brilliant. My opinion of Mike has gone up so much since last night his performance was also great!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 05:41:05 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl69uhK4pDI

By the camerman's own admission.. Some shitty footage!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »

By the camerman's own admission.. Some sh*tty footage!

Pretty sure that's not Australia

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »

Man, Marc and his crew are filming the bejebus out of everything that moves on this tour, there are three DVD productions in the works

Is that right? Wow that is 3 more DVDs than a lot of people were expecting!

Any info you can share how you've confirmed that and if you can tell us how different each DVD will be from one another?   Three separate DVDs sounds like a tall order...I'd have to guess each one would have its own identity for it to stand alone and not have too much carryover from the other discs....?
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 05:55:02 PM »

By the camerman's own admission.. Some sh*tty footage!

Pretty sure that's not Australia

Pretty sure your right!

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 06:49:42 PM »

Brian was on last night, big time, a few botched vocals and timing (false start on TWGMTR scotched the miming theory),

Yeah, I'd forgotten that one -- he dived right in on the opening notes.  But aside from that, I was stunned by his performance on "Radio" -- really strong, fully enthused.  And we know how tricky that one had been for everyone in the past...  And the audience really took that one to heart, just like one of the hits, which was really heartening...

"Isn't It Time", again Brian was very on with his opening, and the new all-Beach-Boys arrangement worked well -- unfortunately the audience seemed fairly muted for that one.  Guess maybe it doesn't have the singalong chorus kind of thing.  (Afterwards Probyn said that that song was a weird one for the band -- none of them played on the recording, it was all Joe Thomas' studio cats, and it's not really in any kind of usual Beach Boys style.  But then... how many bands are still doing something new after fifty years?)

Another little Brian highlight was him singing the "Two waves and I / Both travel by" in "All This Is That"!  In a lower octave with someone else doing Carl's actual part, but really nice.

Thought the first set went a bit flat around the Good Timin' and Ballad Of Ol' Betsy section. Betsy should be dropped, it sucked the vibe out of the room, toss it and bring back This Whole World (or Surf's Up - the band want to do it).

I dunno, it seemed to go down well with some of the more casual fans at the Opera House last time -- and my wife had never heard it before, and it delighted her!  (Then again, she's the child of an old petrol-head, and she once bought her dad Queen's "I'm In Love With My Car" for a birthday present, so yeah.)

"Good Timin'" was a bit of a misfire -- Brian's singing was clipped and at one point a bit off-mic, there seemed a bit of confusion about who was handling the pickup to the chorus (e.g. "About..."), and Al did the chorus.

OTOH, songs which were absolute revelations were some of the later material -- I loved the extra key change used to finish off "Getcha Back" (BTW David said the other night that the reason Mike wants him to sing it is because Mike originally wrote it with Dennis in mind for the lead!), "It's OK" really worked with Brian on "Find a ride...", and "Rock And Roll Music" properly rocked and rolled for the first time.

Special bonus mention of the backing band going berserk towards the end of the show -- on R&R Music Nelson dashed all the way across the stage for a cowbell solo, then Paul von Mertens made a break for the limelight on "Do You Wanna Dance", and there were at least three people playing on John's drumset (John, Scott Bennett, and Nelson) by "Surfin' USA"...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »

The full setlist --

Do It Again (Brian on bridge)
Little Honda / Catch A Wave / Hawaii / Don't Back Down / Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
You're So Good To Me (Brian on lead)
Getcha Back (David)
Please Let Me Wonder
Wendy (Bruce)
Kiss Me Baby (just stunning)
Let Him Run Wild ("in B", according to setlist.  Scott Totten rules.)
And Then I Kissed Her (Al's first lead, got a delighted "aww" from the opening notes)
Darlin' (Darian')
Isn't It Time
Come Go With Me (also a surprise success)
Why Do Fools Fall In Love (Scott and Jeff)
When I Grow Up To Be A Man
Disney Girls (really expressive reading from Bruce)
Good Timin' (Brian and Al)
It's OK (Mike, Brian on coda)
Cottonfields (this was *huge*)
Be True To Your School
The Ballad of Old Betsy (Scott Totten)
Don't Worry Baby (with special Smile Foundation charity video)
Little Deuce Coupe / 409 / Shut Down / I Get Around

Pet Sounds (Dave)
Add Some Music (curiously, with only three mics...)
Heroes And Villains (also a big success with the crowd)
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Sloop John B (the vintage video for this was *hysterical*)
Wouldn't It Be Nice (again, *huge* for the crowd)
In My Room
All This Is That
That's Why God Made The Radio
California Saga (Mike and Al)
Sail On Sailor
Forever (with Dennis video)
God Only Knows (with Carl video)
Good Vibrations (standing ovation)
California Girls
All Summer Long / Help Me Rhonda / Rock And Roll Music / Do You Wanna Dance / Surfin USA (in E)

Kokomo
Barbara Ann (Brian on bass) / Fun Fun Fun (in Eb)

...oh, when the soundcheck went on, we overhead the backing band doing a kick-ass "Pinball Wizard".  Imagine Mike Love singing that...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 07:03:18 PM »

Which reminds me - one thing from last night was the volume of the crowd singalong when songs were being played. Amazing! Not just the usual song a long songs, it was every song (except All This IS That)  Grin

Oh yeah -- I can barely speak today.  I think I was singing almost as much as the band...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »

The full setlist --

Do It Again (Brian on bridge)
Little Honda / Catch A Wave / Hawaii / Don't Back Down / Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
You're So Good To Me (Brian on lead)
Getcha Back (David)
Please Let Me Wonder
Wendy (Bruce)
Kiss Me Baby (just stunning)
Let Him Run Wild ("in B", according to setlist.  Scott Totten rules.)
And Then I Kissed Her (Al's first lead, got a delighted "aww" from the opening notes)
Darlin' (Darian')
Isn't It Time
Come Go With Me (also a surprise success)
Why Do Fools Fall In Love (Scott and Jeff)
When I Grow Up To Be A Man
Disney Girls (really expressive reading from Bruce)
Good Timin' (Brian and Al)
It's OK (Mike, Brian on coda)
Cottonfields (this was *huge*)
Be True To Your School
The Ballad of Old Betsy (Scott Totten)
Don't Worry Baby (with special Smile Foundation charity video)
Little Deuce Coupe / 409 / Shut Down / I Get Around

Pet Sounds (Dave)
Add Some Music (curiously, with only three mics...)
Heroes And Villains (also a big success with the crowd)
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Sloop John B (the vintage video for this was *hysterical*)
Wouldn't It Be Nice (again, *huge* for the crowd)
In My Room
All This Is That
That's Why God Made The Radio
California Saga (Mike and Al)
Sail On Sailor
Forever (with Dennis video)
God Only Knows (with Carl video)
Good Vibrations (standing ovation)
California Girls
All Summer Long / Help Me Rhonda / Rock And Roll Music / Do You Wanna Dance / Surfin USA (in E)

Kokomo
Barbara Ann (Brian on bass) / Fun Fun Fun (in Eb)

...oh, when the soundcheck went on, we overhead the backing band doing a kick-ass "Pinball Wizard".  Imagine Mike Love singing that...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Thanks for that Jon.. The setlist points out why I was angry that Brian was flat or whatever "early". He was great on Do it Again and sang backing on all the following songs till his part in Sufer Girl. Then sang Your so Good to me brilliantly!

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 07:23:33 PM »

Got to meet Bruce etc after the show said hello to Brian prior. He was getting a massage and was really pumped to make it a great concert. Had a quick chat to Probyn minutes before going on, great bunch of guys I think Australia brings out th ebest in them!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:31:31 PM by 18thofMay » Logged

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 07:30:34 PM »

Ever since I was a young boy
I rode that longboard
From Rincon down to Baja
I musta surfed em all

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2012, 07:36:34 PM »

Man, Marc and his crew are filming the bejebus out of everything that moves on this tour, there are three DVD productions in the works

Any info you can share how you've confirmed that and if you can tell us how different each DVD will be from one another?   Three separate DVDs sounds like a tall order...I'd have to guess each one would have its own identity for it to stand alone and not have too much carryover from the other discs....?

Got that from Marc and Mark the video guys, over a long rambling conversation which by the time it happened I'd had quite a few beers in the system so i don't remember the exact details, one is a show video the other two are hazy but they definitely mentioned three. Actually it was hard to concentrate as we were still absorbing news that there is about to be a merging of the Johnstons and the Rineharts ... Perth will be interesting!

The Australian shoots have been concentrating on getting crowd shots, reactions, interviews, etc.

The amount of equipment and the number of people involved in the shoot (including David's son) is considerable, there is some serious money being put into this project.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2012, 08:15:09 PM »

Got that from Marc and Mark the video guys, over a long rambling conversation which by the time it happened I'd had quite a few beers in the system so i don't remember the exact details, one is a show video the other two are hazy but they definitely mentioned three. Actually it was hard to concentrate as we were still absorbing news that there is about to be a merging of the Johnstons and the Rineharts ... Perth will be interesting!

The Australian shoots have been concentrating on getting crowd shots, reactions, interviews, etc.

The amount of equipment and the number of people involved in the shoot (including David's son) is considerable, there is some serious money being put into this project.

Good stuff. Thanks Tony.  It sounds like they've picked up momentum with the other DVD projects as they went overseas (from the US) which is totally fine with me.  I'm still optimistic about what we can expect and this update just makes me feel even better about it.  Hope they don't screw it up!
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 08:54:39 PM »

"Getcha Back" (BTW David said the other night that the reason Mike wants him to sing it is because Mike originally wrote it with Dennis in mind for the lead!),

Very interesting to know! Now I wonder how the song would sound like if Dennis took the lead.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 09:42:39 PM »

Mike wrote a song with Dennis in mind even after he had passed on? Proof that they loved each other all along?  Shocked

Did I read it correctly that the group wants to perform Surf's Up?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »

Thanks for that Jon.. The setlist points out why I was angry that Brian was flat or whatever "early". He was great on Do it Again and sang backing on all the following songs till his part in Sufer Girl. Then sang Your so Good to me brilliantly!

See, I thought "You're So Good" was one of his weaker vocals, actually -- he was barking it more than singing it, it didn't seem as easy as at the TLOS and Gershwin shows.  "Isn't It Time" was the first lead where I thought he really nailed it.

For me the revelation was Brian introducing the Dennis and Carl videos -- suddenly he sounded completely natural and at ease, in a way I've *never* heard before!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 11:58:56 PM »

23 minutes summary of the gig:

http://youtu.be/R7hpSPGdWso

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2012, 12:09:16 AM »

Recorded right near me after Brian does his part in Surfer Girl you hear me go woooooh

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2012, 12:15:15 AM »

23 minutes summary of the gig:

http://youtu.be/R7hpSPGdWso

Check out at 8:42 - Brian and Dave mucking around - causing Brian to come in late - priceless! I'm currently uploading another Add Some Music which shows it a bit better and Let Him Run Wild - should be a couple of hours.
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2012, 12:18:21 AM »

Recorded right near me after Brian does his part in Surfer Girl you hear me go woooooh

as long as we can't hear the muppets behind you! Unfortunately my Let Him Run Wild has them all over it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:28:51 AM by RickD » Logged
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2012, 12:22:16 AM »

as long as we can't here the muppets behind you! Unfortunately my Let Him Run Wild has them all over it.

They were so annoying!!

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2012, 01:41:16 AM »

See, I thought "You're So Good" was one of his weaker vocals, actually -- he was barking it more than singing it, it didn't seem as easy as at the TLOS and Gershwin shows.  "Isn't It Time" was the first lead where I thought he really nailed it.

For me the revelation was Brian introducing the Dennis and Carl videos -- suddenly he sounded completely natural and at ease, in a way I've *never* heard before!

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Agreed on both points - You're So Good to Me was definitely his weakest performance of the night.
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2012, 03:22:59 AM »

Another Add Some Music - unfortunately we were sitting about two seats from the other video (the back of my head makes the odd appearance in the other one)!

http://youtu.be/UHpeKFrRQqw
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx