gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:45:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Diane  (Read 12830 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 11:43:39 PM »

I might be looking too much into it as well but I kind of see it as maybe Brian knowing he was done with Marilyn was looking to the next best thing, her sister.  Realizing that could never be as well, he had to accept that it was all really over.

Ummm... think you'll find that Brian & Diane were, and for quite a long period of time. Documented in several books.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 07:44:51 AM »

is that line "man"? I thought it was "and".

But it'd be funnier if it were "man". EVERYTHING IS WRONG, MAAAAN

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 08:00:36 AM »

"Everything is wrong and nothing is right" is pretty funny. I mean, if everything is wrong than to say nothing is right is redundant.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 08:50:26 AM »

is that line "man"? I thought it was "and".

But it'd be funnier if it were "man". EVERYTHING IS WRONG, MAAAAN

I just spit my soy milk on my keyboard.  LOL

( Cry)
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 09:03:07 AM »

"Everything is wrong and nothing is right" is pretty funny. I mean, if everything is wrong than to say nothing is right is redundant.

I've always felt that that line, and the somewhat inane melody it's set to, rather badly deflate a song that otherwise seemed so loaded with impassioned promise.  (The verses are great, though.)
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »

Guess I'm simple minded, but to me the song is perfect.  One of the greatest heartbreak songs ever written.  When you are in that place, a lot of fancy words don't do the trick.  And the performance captures all of  it.  One of the few songs not on the GV box that I felt really needed to be on it.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 01:52:55 PM »

The composition itself is fantastic, but I dislike Dennis' gravely vocal. Imagine this with a sweet voiced Brian. It would be like Pet Sounds.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 03:36:43 PM »

Nah, you need that rough voice. It's very emotive.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »

Gotta say I agree with Aegir and co. on this one. Dennis sounds like Diane ended things with him, and Brian's backing vocals sound equally as pained.

Still, a Pet Sounds-esque vocal out of Brian probably would have been fairly effective as well.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 06:09:24 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 04:42:29 PM »

I think Dennis's vocal is the best part of it.  The roughness of his voice complements the song.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »

I think Dennis's vocal is the best part of it.  The roughness of his voice complements the song.

Agreed 100%.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 06:34:11 PM »

Imagine this with a sweet voiced Brian. It would be like Pet Sounds.
Jesus. Imagine a Monet painting perfectly in focus...then it would be like a photograph.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 06:49:21 PM »

r u maken fun of uz

it not funny

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 07:49:48 PM »

I can only imagine how awkward it must have been for Brian to present this song to the other guys -- or for Dennis to sing it. And yet it somehow seems appropriate (or appropriately f***ed-up) that he got his brother to sing this song about his sister-in-law -- though Brian's [?] vocal contributions (high harmonies, doubling Dennis on "Everything is wrong.." bit, the "I love you Diane!" bit) only add to the pathos. I think in not singing the verses himself, Brian made an already pretty emotional song at least more so... well, and weirder too.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 09:52:17 PM »

Brian absolutely chose the right voice for that song. the song would be so much lessened if any other Beach Boy sang it, in my opinion. The singng is awesome on that one..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:53:22 PM by lance » Logged
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »

Guess I'm simple minded, but to me the song is perfect.  One of the greatest heartbreak songs ever written.  When you are in that place, a lot of fancy words don't do the trick.  And the performance captures all of  it.  One of the few songs not on the GV box that I felt really needed to be on it.

Perfectly summarized.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »

I've always felt that that line, and the somewhat inane melody it's set to, rather badly deflate a song that otherwise seemed so loaded with impassioned promise.  (The verses are great, though.)

Always thought it was kind of amusing that people would get upset about lines that are technically redundant. It was likely obvious to the writers of stuff like this that it's redundant, but they're using it to drive the point home. "Everything is wrong, nothing is right - hey, that's redundant, just like my God damn life Cry"

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »

Always thought it was kind of amusing that people would get upset about lines that are technically redundant.

"Upset" is a strong word.  On a scale from "ravaged with crippling dismay" through to "sufficiently diverted that I might be drawn to comment on it on a Beach Boys themed discussion forum", it's probably towards the latter end of the spectrum.

(Yes, five days.  I've been away.)
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »

My Diane is THE best Brian song with Denny on vocals, period

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »

My Diane is THE best Brian song with Denny on vocals, period

I don't know about that. "In The Back Of My Mind"? "Mona"? I'd definitely take both of those over "My Diane". All three are great though.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2012, 10:37:30 PM »

I like My Diane better than Mona. But maybe not better than Baseball. Good Timin' with the Dennis vocal is pretty awesome too. I WANNA PICK YOU UP!

Hell, they're all great. I love this band.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2012, 10:46:45 PM »

GUESS U HERD ABOUT IT
PISSED OFF AND MAD ABOUT IT
SO LET ME SCREAM AND SHOUT IT
PISSED OFF AND MAD THE FUCK ABOUTI T

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2012, 10:51:28 PM »

Always thought it was kind of amusing that people would get upset about lines that are technically redundant.

"Upset" is a strong word.  On a scale from "ravaged with crippling dismay" through to "sufficiently diverted that I might be drawn to comment on it on a Beach Boys themed discussion forum", it's probably towards the latter end of the spectrum.

Yo man, I TOTALLY agree with you about this. calling someone "upset" for commenting on something on a messageboard is just a way of demeaning other viewpoints that aren't your own. screw those guys.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2012, 12:19:33 AM »

Yeah, I agree.  I like it the way it is, I think the simplicity of the chorus if you can call it a chorus fits the theme.  It's Brian being a 5 year old, like usual.  He has a side of him that's very childish, so to write a song that's very childish is a very intimate way to write.  The most you can expect out of a great songwriter is to write something that's REAL to them, and that's about the realest I've ever heard Brian write. 
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2012, 07:26:47 AM »

the chorus if you can call it a chorus
Yes, it's a chorus. As for the best Brian's song with Dennis's vocals, I dig This Car of Mine, The Wanderer, Do You Wanna Dance, In The Back of My Mind (my favorite slow number on the 2nd side of Today), I Wanna Pick You Up (mostly because of the melody, not his vocals, though) & some others.

Brian didn't write The Wanderer and Do You Wanna Dance. But I'm sure you know that and are quite familiar with the classic original versions.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx