gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:39:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 68: Entertainment Center - Brisbane, AU 8/28/12  (Read 33300 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »

Adding a new song in preparation for the UK shows perhaps?  I wonder what else they'll throw in?

Crossing my fingers that the Royal Albert Hall show will be filmed.
Paulos
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 02:43:07 PM »

Adding a new song in preparation for the UK shows perhaps?  I wonder what else they'll throw in?

I'm going to Wembley and hoping for Cabin Essence which of course will not happen, no way would Mike be persuaded to sing that. But then again, this is the Beach Boys...
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »

Some more Smile material is of course always welcome (perhaps dust off "Our Prayer" once again?) but heck, I wouldn't mind if they added the Life suite off TWGMTR.  A nice excerpt from the new album for something special for the UK audience would be totally great.   
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »

Great review in today's Australian.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/music/good-vibrations-surf-the-years/story-fn9d2mxu-1226461028573

Cold here in Melbourne. Maybe the most un-summer like location this tour! (until London in September anyway Grin)
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »

If they did Surf's Up I think I would cry! Grin
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »

We all would!

Let's hope they add a few new songs that feature a Beach Boy on lead.  Would still love to hear "Let Him Run Wild" though...I love that song.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 08:46:05 PM »

The 50 Big Ones track list consists primarily of songs that they have been playing on the tour.  The three exceptions are "The Warmth of the Sun," "Surf's Up,"and "I Can Hear Music."  Could this be a hint of what is to come?

I would cry twice if they played "Surf's Up"; first out of excitement, then because I didn't get to see it.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 11:42:53 PM »

Some more Smile material is of course always welcome (perhaps dust off "Our Prayer" once again?) but heck, I wouldn't mind if they added the Life suite off TWGMTR.  A nice excerpt from the new album for something special for the UK audience would be totally great.   

I'd vote for the suite first, "Surf's Up" second.  Both would be awesome. 
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 04:43:46 AM »

In lieu of any Smiley Smilers attending, I interrogated my old parents, who attended and were in reasonably good seats, and gleaned the following lite notes.

Alholio-Mother said the show was fantastic and the group were pretty tight and set a cracking pace through each set with a strictly 20 minute interval; and not much between song banter.  She correctly guessed an encore was inevitable; give away being the Band leaving the stage after the second set without playing Fun, Fun, Fun.

A-Mum added while Brian was not overly engaged but Mike picked up the slack and pulled out a pretty good show; no suprises there based on the last 67 show reviews (give or take a few) we've read; but interesting to hear these obervations from a Joe Average fan. 

Alholio-Dad (he's 77) said one of the young fellas somewhere in the band sang three songs - from what I've read, Darian sang Darlin', Totten sang Let Him Run Wild; maybe leaving 1 up for speculation, depending the accuracy of A-Dad's memory. 

That's about all I could squeeze out of them, as A-Dad's main share was how on the way to the carpark after the gig, he tripped over a gutter and broke his index finger (yow!).

Sydney updates should come rollin' in in about 2 hours or thereabouts!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 04:50:17 AM »

In lieu of any Smiley Smilers attending, I interrogated my old parents, who attended and were in reasonably good seats, and gleaned the following lite notes.

Alholio-Mother said the show was fantastic and the group were pretty tight and set a cracking pace through each set with a strictly 20 minute interval; and not much between song banter.  She correctly guessed an encore was inevitable; give away being the Band leaving the stage after the second set without playing Fun, Fun, Fun.

A-Mum added while Brian was not overly engaged but Mike picked up the slack and pulled out a pretty good show; no suprises there based on the last 67 show reviews (give or take a few) we've read; but interesting to hear these obervations from a Joe Average fan. 

Alholio-Dad (he's 77) said one of the young fellas somewhere in the band sang three songs - from what I've read, Darian sang Darlin', Totten sang Let Him Run Wild; maybe leaving 1 up for speculation, depending the accuracy of A-Dad's memory. 

That's about all I could squeeze out of them, as A-Dad's main share was how on the way to the carpark after the gig, he tripped over a gutter and broke his index finger (yow!).

Sydney updates should come rollin' in in about 2 hours or thereabouts!

Thanks! The second Totten song would be "Betsy".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 05:34:31 AM »

Source (with review): http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/music/review-the-beach-boys-reunion-show/story-fncakrqc-1226460708138?sv=15bbc7b89f786005b60595faaf3a472e

EDIT:

I realize only now that these are the same pictures (and probably the same review) that Emdeeh already posted. Sorry

And another video report:
http://screen.yahoo.com/beach-boys-rock-brisbane-30436220.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:37:32 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 10:52:48 AM »

The 50 Big Ones track list consists primarily of songs that they have been playing on the tour.  The three exceptions are "The Warmth of the Sun," "Surf's Up,"and "I Can Hear Music."  Could this be a hint of what is to come?

I would cry twice if they played "Surf's Up"; first out of excitement, then because I didn't get to see it.
FWIW, those three songs were the very ones the backing band (and Bruce, partially) soundchecked before the Oslo show. After "Surf's Up", Al came on stage and sang the "A children's song, have you listened as they played?" part.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 12:19:10 PM »

What is that cat doing outside the bag??

Cool

Paulos
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »

Facebook:

G'day from Brisbane, Australia! (photo courtesy Mary Ann Jardine)
What a lovely photo! Other than that, I don't like koalas.

Generally, was interesting to read all these reviews, watch some of their performances and concert shots! It must've been great show there! 

Why don't you like koalas??
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »

FWIW, those three songs were the very ones the backing band (and Bruce, partially) soundchecked before the Oslo show. After "Surf's Up", Al came on stage and sang the "A children's song, have you listened as they played?" part.

Gaaaah. I need to pick up my jaw because it fell on the floor when I read that!

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 12:34:12 PM »

Yeah, me too! I think the heavens would fall if they played Surf's Up in front of an audience.

No mas, por favor.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »

Adding a new song in preparation for the UK shows perhaps?  I wonder what else they'll throw in?

The 50 Big Ones track list consists primarily of songs that they have been playing on the tour.  The three exceptions are "The Warmth of the Sun," "Surf's Up,"and "I Can Hear Music."  Could this be a hint of what is to come?

Gaaaah. I need to pick up my jaw because it fell on the floor when I read that!

ARE YOU F-ING SERIOUS?!  Thud
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:01:41 PM by lilgirl91 » Logged

freedomaspirer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 02:31:29 PM »

Surf's Up? I'll beleive it when i see it! Who would sing I can Hear Music though? As far as 2002, Brian could still do Warmth of the Sun, albeit doubled in a slightly lower key, i'm guessing Jeff would do that one if it comes up again though.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 02:35:46 PM »

Surf's Up? I'll beleive it when i see it! Who would sing I can Hear Music though? As far as 2002, Brian could still do Warmth of the Sun, albeit doubled in a slightly lower key, i'm guessing Jeff would do that one if it comes up again though.

Darian would sound pretty great on I Can Hear Music. Of The BB's, Al could probably do it.

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »

Most likely won't turn out this way but I'd like to Bruce sing "The Warmth of the Sun". He's said in interviews in the past decade it's his favourite Beach Boys song and it's a shame they don't do it more. Though if he were to sing it he'd probably have to surrender "Disney Girls" to stay within his lead vocals quota Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:42:15 PM by Nuttin' Atol » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2012, 10:36:44 AM »

Well, the Surf's Up rehearsal started with Scott T saying something along the lines of "Okey, I want you to entertain me, let's do Surf's Up" and then the band played it with Scott singing lead, iirc. It sounded good (obviously, with those musicians) but also like it was a song they hadn't rehearsed before/in a while. Hearing Al sing his part all alone acapella was really, really cool.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2012, 10:39:30 AM »

I would love to hear the BB 2012 doing Surf's Up.  Cry
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2012, 05:26:32 AM »

Facebook:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2012, 06:33:17 AM »

He doesn't need to be doubled. Lower the key, let 'im sing it and skip the trickery.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 05:03:35 AM »

Facebook:

G'day from Brisbane, Australia! (photo courtesy Mary Ann Jardine)
What a lovely photo! Other than that, I don't like koalas.

Generally, was interesting to read all these reviews, watch some of their performances and concert shots! It must've been great show there! 

Why don't you like koalas??
Because of their face. Not so beautiful animals to my taste. I like cats & only cats. Esp. domestic, not wild.

2Rocker: Thanks for Al's photo! He looks fab!

Some trivia for you guys:

One of the two creatures in that picture doesn't know how to flush a toilet

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx