gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680828 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:19:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - Songwriter: 1969 - 1982 [DVD] coming September 17.  (Read 25674 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2012, 02:37:59 PM »

Got to watch the full feature over the past two days. Really enjoyed it - really geared towards our group. A few new pics of Brian I'd never seen befpre during the Spring sessions, too. Most of all, I really enjoyed Peter Ames Carlin's interview segments!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2012, 02:56:59 PM »

Highlights for me: - Professor Lambert speaking about and demonstrating "This Whole World."  That one really should have been the lead off single for Sunflower.

- The American Spring segment.

- Some insightful stuff on the Brian's Back era.

- Stephen Desper, Peter Ames Carlin, Professor Lambert, Domenic Priore were all outstanding.  (Barney Hoskyns was interesting, but very quick to side against Mike unnecessarily.  Bruce Johnston's stuff seemed to be hold-overs from the first DVD production.)

Complaint (Mild one):  The ending was a cold stop and felt rushed.  Somehow 1978-1982 and beyond were encapsulated in like 5 minutes (KTSA was not mentioned at all).
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »

I loved it for the most part. I thought they wasted too much time talking about Pet Sounds, SMiLE era stuff that they already talked about in the 62-69 dvd. They could have gone deeper into this era with songs like Good Timin, Shortnen Bread, Oh Darlin, etc. But other then that, it was great.

I loved the Daniel Johnston reference concerning Brian Wilson in the 15 Big Ones, Love You period. That is spot on!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2012, 08:40:03 PM »

Rented it and am on second viewing; it explicitly reproduces/mixes in material from the earlier volume, which made me stop short initially and think I had the wrong DVD in, but it eventually moves beyond the summary of the previous DVD.  It's a B+ production, all in all. Peter is great and Hal, of course, and Carol: God love them all. Professor Lambert  is insightful (if a bit wooden in presentation), but I prefer the lush analysis of Warmth of the Sun  by Professor (??) in "IJWMFTT," which is an excellent (much better of course) documentary.  Steve K is a major highlight discussing spoken word compositions and the deep philosophy involved--very compelling.

After some time at Redondo Beach, I visited the BB monument around sundown tonight. . . . .just to listen for the waves, which you can still hear beneath the white noise of the 105.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:21:07 PM by the professor » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »

My main problem was the fact that they missed a few of Brian's more noteworthy '70s compositions, notably "Good Timin'" and "California Feelin'". Especially "Good Timin'" though, seeing as though it was a 'top 40' hit and was his only songwriting contribution to the L.A. (Light Album).

I also thought they skimmed over the whole M.I.U., L.A., and KTSA period. And yes, M.I.U and KTSA don't have any of Brian's best material, and yes, L.A. had only one original song and one interpretation, but still, it seemed rushed.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2012, 05:04:20 PM »

My main problem was the fact that they missed a few of Brian's more noteworthy '70s compositions, notably "Good Timin'" and "California Feelin'". Especially "Good Timin'" though, seeing as though it was a 'top 40' hit and was his only songwriting contribution to the L.A. (Light Album).

I also thought they skimmed over the whole M.I.U., L.A., and KTSA period. And yes, M.I.U and KTSA don't have any of Brian's best material, and yes, L.A. had only one original song and one interpretation, but still, it seemed rushed.

I agree. Songs like Match Point, Belles of Paris, Sweet Sunday Love and My Diane are noteworthy songs IMO. Especially Match Point.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2012, 05:46:04 PM »

I agree. Songs like Match Point, Belles of Paris, Sweet Sunday Love and My Diane are noteworthy songs IMO. Especially Match Point.

They did the same thing with the 62-69 DVD - they barely mention the 68-69 albums. Friends just got a lambasting by Bruce and that's about it.

edit. left out a word Shocked
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:58:27 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »

Something confused me about the first volume: Was the first one supposed to end in the beginning of 1969, or is the second one supposed to begin from there? '62-'69 didn't even mention 20/20 or Do it Again.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »

How much is so tough discussed?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »

Something confused me about the first volume: Was the first one supposed to end in the beginning of 1969, or is the second one supposed to begin from there? '62-'69 didn't even mention 20/20 or Do it Again.

The 69 - 82 dvd starts around 65 or 66. Don't know why. But the second dvd touches on 20/20 a bit.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2012, 06:57:53 AM »

Somehow 1978-1982 and beyond were encapsulated in like 5 minutes (KTSA was not mentioned at all).

That's unfortunate.  MIU, LA, KTSA, Knebworth -- Brian touring, appearing like "circus bear" on stage.  Plus, the band was starting it's solo-career phase.  Quite an interesting time to me.  I really feel like these are DARK, DARK days for Brian actually.  I'm very interested in them... wasn't Brian fired from the band around this time?

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »

Got this as a Christmas gift, and naturally had to watch it tonight when I got home.  I really enjoyed it, a lot more depth than you'd get with most Brian/BB documentaries, especially when considering the time period it covers.  Where else can you find a relatively in-depth discussion of Love You?  Of course the nuts like us would've watched a cut that's twice as long, or just more of the interviews with Desper, Fred Vail, Priore, etc.  I'm definitely going to get my hands on the 1962-69 DVD after seeing this.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2012, 11:12:16 PM »

When I afford to will definitely get a copy. Any rare or unseen pics and do they discuss Brians vocal change?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2012, 07:11:46 PM »

When I afford to will definitely get a copy. Any rare or unseen pics and do they discuss Brians vocal change?

There were a handful of pics I hadn't seen, and yes the vocal change is discussed in the context of his 1976 live performance on SNL and how much of a shock it was to hear him like that.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »

Cool....I got one on the way thanks to my job! Nice unexpected Christmas gift...

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2012, 12:49:34 PM »

One thing that was covered on this doc was the Kalinich Poetry album. I downloaded it from itunes about a month ago. Then just a few days ago listened to it all the way through for the first time. I must say I was very impressed! I created an MP3 disc with this album plus, American Spring, Flame and Western Justice. Perhaps I should include Pacific Ocean Blue on that list! Smiley  I kind of wish Fred Vail would have let us listen to some of the country album he recorded with Brian. I know he thinks he's too 'old' to start a music career, but that doesn't mean fans like us wouldn't be interested.

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »

The 69 - 82 dvd starts around 65 or 66. Don't know why. But the second dvd touches on 20/20 a bit.
Interesting. Maybe Volume 3 will recap 1978-1982 in the same way?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2012, 06:13:24 PM »

Interesting. Maybe Volume 3 will recap 1978-1982 in the same way?

It will probably recap the 60s and 70s, then touch on the early 80s period. Then about 1/10th of it will cover his solo career. Sad

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2013, 12:23:06 PM »

Got this for 1.99 on eBay. I'm very happy :D

I'll write a review when it arrives, I loved the first one!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:24:51 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2013, 07:44:07 AM »

Online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbJzPwgAVg

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2013, 09:43:12 AM »

One thing that was covered on this doc was the Kalinich Poetry album. I downloaded it from itunes about a month ago. Then just a few days ago listened to it all the way through for the first time. I must say I was very impressed! I created an MP3 disc with this album plus, American Spring, Flame and Western Justice. Perhaps I should include Pacific Ocean Blue on that list! Smiley  I kind of wish Fred Vail would have let us listen to some of the country album he recorded with Brian. I know he thinks he's too 'old' to start a music career, but that doesn't mean fans like us wouldn't be interested.

As long as Fred has the tapes I doubt we are going to. Another "lost" album but I feel its not a great loss.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »

I enjoyed this and find myself nodding in agreement to Barney Hoskyn's assessment of the band in the 80s.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx