gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:12:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - Songwriter: 1969 - 1982 [DVD] coming September 17.  (Read 25667 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 06:59:23 AM »

I was making a joke about Dennis' statement about Brian being the BBs

Guess I don't know what statement you're referring to.
"Brian Wilson is the Beach Boys. We're just his messengers." (D. Wilson)
That's the quote I had in mind. Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 12:29:21 PM »

when was the first volume of this series released?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 01:31:46 PM »

I'm curious to know what material from 1982 will be discussed if the cut-off is actually 1982. There really isn't much of anything past 1980 to discuss in terms of released material. They could perhaps just be delving into his condition up until the re-appearance of Landy, and/or making room for some discussion of post-KTSA material like "Stevie" or the "Hamburger" tapes, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 02:02:56 PM »

I'm surprised they don't go to 1988 at least...Love and Mercy and a few others off the first solo album would be worth some discussion.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 06:29:21 PM »

I'm curious to know what material from 1982 will be discussed if the cut-off is actually 1982. There really isn't much of anything past 1980 to discuss in terms of released material. They could perhaps just be delving into his condition up until the re-appearance of Landy, and/or making room for some discussion of post-KTSA material like "Stevie" or the "Hamburger" tapes, etc.

I wondered the same thing; why 1982? Doesn't seem like a solid 'finale.'

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 06:29:44 PM »

I'm surprised they don't go to 1988 at least...Love and Mercy and a few others off the first solo album would be worth some discussion.

Maybe they're saving it for Volume 3.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 05:07:43 AM »

Is Professor Lambert involved with volume 2  Brow ?

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 05:48:37 AM »

That is happy news! I don't even have the 1st one. Hope I can order THIS.

You should get the first one too, though.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 05:58:23 AM »

when was the first volume of this series released?

Quote from: amazon
DVD Release Date: November 23, 2010
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 12:18:38 PM »

I wonder what is to be talked about during the 1981-82 years?

I also saw a special feature being called: Brian Goes Country, is that an indication that we'll hear them talk about Fred Vail's album, Cows in the Pasture?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »

I've always loved that photo on the book cover. Brian exudes a "yeah-I'm-badass" kind of confidence. An attitude I've rarely seen him display throughout his career and I would say unheard of post-Landy.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 04:30:11 PM »

Looking forward to this.  The first documentary was very good but contained some questionable topics.

I'd give disc 1 four stars and disc 2 two stars.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:48:42 PM by TV Forces » Logged
originals
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 04:47:59 PM »

Can't wait to buy this (and the first one!)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »

I was making a joke about Dennis' statement about Brian being the BBs

Guess I don't know what statement you're referring to.
"Brian Wilson is the Beach Boys. We're just his messengers." (D. Wilson)

You left out a word betwix his and messengers  Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2012, 06:13:59 AM »

Songs I believe should be talked about:

-This Whole World
 -At My Window
 -A Day in the Life of a Tree
 -Til I Die
 -Marcella
 -Sail On Sailor
 -Funky Pretty
 -Mt Vernon and Fairway
 -Sweet Mountain
 -Johnny Carson
 -The Night was so Young
 -Match Point
 -Good Timin
 -Goin On

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 06:52:38 AM »

Wow this DVD is out of the blue...Hope it covers the rare session work Brian did in this period...Tim Curry, Jackie De Shannon, Johnny Rivers, Jan Berry Cool Guy

Now, we all know I don't know sh*t about Brian... but I do believe he didn't contribute squat to the songwriting of those sessions.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 07:38:46 AM »

Wouldn't it be something if there's rare video of him doing California Feelin '74?

There's not, but just a what if...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 09:11:27 AM »

Wouldn't it be something if there's rare video of him doing California Feelin '74?

no kidding...but then again the first dvd said "Obscure footage, rare archive interviews and seldom seen photographs"...and yet it was all things we've seen in other documentaries. It would be nice to see some of the concert footage that's not on dvd...but I'm not holding my breath.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 09:21:59 AM »

I've always loved that photo on the book cover. Brian exudes a "yeah-I'm-badass" kind of confidence. An attitude I've rarely seen him display throughout his career and I would say unheard of post-Landy.
book cover? what book?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 09:52:58 AM »

Is Professor Lambert involved with volume 2  Brow ?

"Product Description … Review, criticism and comment from biographers and writers, Peter Ames Carlin, Domenic Priore, Professor Philip Lambert and Barney Hoskyns. ..."

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »

book cover? what book?

Oops... brain fart.  I meant DVD cover.

Still like the photo though.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »

book cover? what book?

Oops... brain fart.  I meant DVD cover.

Still like the photo though.
I used to have that pic on my notebook in highschool & I wrote I just Wasnt Made for these Times under it...so many people asked me what that meant...ah, 'they teach them but they do not hear'

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2012, 07:44:01 PM »

Man! I just had a false alarm Beach Boy erection!

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »

Sneak peak:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNEgfAcxMlU

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder