gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:56:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mono and Stereo Versions  (Read 11534 times)
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2012, 05:08:03 PM »

Below is an update to the mono/stereo information on Andrew G. Doe’s site, as found here:
http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/monostereo.html

I put it together for my amusement. I’m inviting everyone to check it for accuracy.

Surfin’ Safari
Original mixes:
  • The 1962 mono mixes are available on Surfin’ Safari/Surfin’ U.S.A. (2001).
  • There are no stereo mixes available, original or otherwise.

Surfin’ U.S.A.
Original mixes:
  • The 1963 mono and stereo mixes are available on the 2012 remastered version of the album.
Additional mixes:
  • A new stereo remix of "Shut Down" appears on Sounds of Summer (2003).

Surfer Girl
Original mixes:
  • The 1963 mono and stereo mixes are available on the 2012 remastered version of the album.
Additional mixes:
  • A “binaural” stereo mix of “Surfer Girl” appears on the Endless Harmony Soundtrack (1998).

Little Deuce Coupe
Original mixes:
  • There are no 1963 stereo mixes of “409” and “A Young Man Is Gone.”
  • The 1963 mono mix of the single version of “Be True To Your School” is available on the U.S. Singles Collection (2008).
Additional mixes:
  • The 2012 versions of “409” and “A Young Man Is Gone” are approximations created through digital extraction, as the multi-tracks are not available to make true stereo mixes.

Shut Down, Volume 2
Original mixes:
  • The 1964 mono and stereo mixes are available on the 2012 remastered version of the album.
  • There are no 1964 stereo mixes of “Why Do Fools Fall In Love” and “Denny’s Drums.”
Additional mixes:
  • Different stereo mixes of “Why Do Fools Fall In Love” and “Don’t Worry, Baby” appear on Summer Love Songs (2009).
  • The 2012 stereo version of “Why Do Fools Fall In Love” is identical to the 2009 mix, minus the introduction.
  • “Denny’s Drums” was originally recorded in mono, and both versions appear in mono on the 2012 release.

All Summer Long
Original mixes:
  • The 1964 mono and stereo mixes are available on the 2012 remastered version of the album.
  • There are no 1964 stereo mixes of “I Get Around,” “All Summer Long,” or “Our Favorite Recording Sessions.”
Additional mixes:
  • A different stereo mix of "All Summer Long" appears on The Warmth Of The Sun (2007).
  • A different stereo mix of "Hushabye" appears on Summer Love Songs (2009).
  • The 2012 stereo version of “I Get Around” is a new mix using the multi-tracks, plus some digital extraction to capture overdubs made directly to the original mono mix.
  • The 2012 stereo version of “All Summer Long” is a new mix using the multi-tracks.
  • “Our Favorite Recording Sessions” was originally recorded in mono, and both versions appear in mono on the 2012 release.

The Beach Boys’ Christmas Album
Original mixes:
  • The 1963 mono mixes of the single version of “Little Saint Nick” and its B-side “The Lord’s Prayer” are available on the U.S. Singles Collection (2008).
  • The 1964 mono mixes of “Santa’s Beard,” “Merry Christmas, Baby,” and “Christmas Day” are available only on the 1991 CD reissue.
  • The 1964 mono mixes of “The Man With All The Toys” and “Blue Christmas” are available on the U.S. Singles Collection (2008).
  • The remaining 1964 mono mixes are unavailable on CD.
  • The 1964 stereo mixes are available on Ultimate Christmas (1998), with the exceptions below.
  • The 1964 stereo mix of the album version of “Little Saint Nick” is available only on the 1991 CD reissue.
  • The 1964 stereo mix of “Merry Christmas, Baby” is unavailable on CD.
Additional mixes:
  • A different stereo mix of “The Lord’s Prayer” is available on the 1991 CD reissue.
  • A different stereo mix of the single version of “Little Saint Nick” appears on Legends of Christmas Past (1992).
  • Different stereo mixes of “Merry Christmas, Baby” (which is also longer) and the single version of “Little Saint Nick” appear on Ultimate Christmas (1998).
  • A different stereo mix of “The Lord’s Prayer” is available on Hawthorne, CA (2001).

Beach Boys Concert
Original mixes:
  • The 1964 mono mix is unavailable on CD.
  • The 1964 stereo mix is available on Concert/Live In London (2001).

The Beach Boys Today!
Original mixes:
  • The 1964-1965 mono mixes are available on the 2012 remastered version of the album.
  • There are no 1965 stereo mixes.
Additional mixes:
  • A stereo mix of “Kiss Me, Baby” appears on the Endless Harmony Soundtrack (1998).
  • A stereo mix of “Dance, Dance, Dance” appears on Hawthorne, CA (2001).
  • A stereo mix of “Please Let Me Wonder” appears on The Warmth Of The Sun (2007).
  • Stereo mixes of “When I Grow Up (To Be A Man),” “She Knows Me Too Well,” and the instrumental track for “Do You Wanna Dance” appear on the U.S. Singles Collection (2008).
  • Stereo mixes of “Good To My Baby” and “I’m So Young” appear on Summer Love Songs (2009).
  • New stereo mixes of all tracks appear on the 2012 remastered version of the album, with the below notes.
  • “She Knows Me Too Well” is the 2008 mix.
  • The stereo mixes of “Do You Wanna Dance” and “She Knows Me Too Well” utilize the multi-tracks, but also required some digital extraction to capture overdubs made directly to the original mono mixes.
  • “Bull Session With The Big Daddy” was originally recorded in mono, and both versions appear in mono on the 2012 release.

Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
Original mixes:
  • The 1965 mono mixes are available on the 2012 remastered version of the album.
Additional mixes:
  • A stereo mix of “California Girls” appears on the Endless Harmony Soundtrack (1998).
  • Stereo mixes of “Salt Lake City” and “And Your Dream Comes True” (partial) appear on Hawthorne, CA (2001).
  • A stereo mix of “Summer Means New Love” appears as a bonus track on the DVD-A release of Pet Sounds (2003).
  • Stereo mixes of “Then I Kissed Her,“ “You’re So Good To Me,” and “Let Him Run Wild” appear on The Warmth Of The Sun (2007).
  • A mono mix of the instrumental track for “Help Me, Rhonda” appears on the U.S. Singles Collection (2008).
  • New stereo mixes of all tracks appear on the 2012 remastered version of the album, with the below exceptions.
  • The stereo mixes of “Help Me, Rhonda” and “Girl Don’t Tell Me” utilize the multi-tracks, but also required some digital extraction to capture overdubs made directly to the original mono mixes.
Additional note: for the non-album single "The Little Girl I Once Knew," the mono mix appears on various compilations. No attempt at an official stereo mix has been made, and a true stereo mix would not be possible.

Beach Boys Party
Original mixes:
  • The 1965 mono mixes are available on the 2012 remastered version of the album.
  • The 1965 mono mix of the single version of “Barbara Ann” is available on the Good Vibrations box set (1993).
Additional mixes:
  • Stereo mix of “Barbara Ann” and “Devoted To You,” both without party noises, appear on Hawthorne, CA (2001).
  • A different stereo mix of “Barbara Ann” appears on Girls Girls Girls: A Recollection of Dream Dates 1955-1965 (2007).
  • New stereo mixes of all tracks appear on the 2012 remastered version of the album.

Pet Sounds
Original mixes:
  • The 1966 mono mixes are available on the 2012 remastered version of the album.
  • The 1966 mono mix of the single version of “Caroline, No” is available on 20 More Good Vibrations: The Greatest Hits Volume 2 (1999).
  • There are no 1966 stereo mixes.
Additional mixes:
  • Stereo mixes of all tracks appear on the Pet Sounds Sessions box set (1997), as well as subsequent releases of the album.
  • A new stereo mix of “Wouldn’t It Be Nice,” with Mike’s vocal on the bridge reinstated, appears on the 2001 reissue of the album.
  • A new stereo mix of “You Still Believe In Me,” with Brian’s double-tracked vocal simulated, appears on the “Mobile Fidelity” SACD release of the album.
  • 5.1 surround sound mixes of all tracks appear on the 2003 DVD-A release of the album.
  • New stereo mixes of all tracks appear on the 2012 remastered version of the album.

Smiley Smile
Original mixes:
  • The 1967 mono mixes are available on the 2012 remastered version of the album.
  • There are no 1967 stereo mixes.
Additional mixes:
  • Stereo mixes of “Heroes and Villains” and “Vegetables” (extended) appear on Hawthorne, CA (2001).
  • New stereo mixes of all tracks appear on the 2012 remastered version of the album, with the below exception.
  • The stereo mix of “Good Vibrations” utilizes the multi-tracks of the instrumental tracking session, but the multi-tracks are missing for the vocal overdubs. Therefore, some digital extraction was required.

Wild Honey
Original mixes:
  • The 1967 mono mixes are available on Smiley Smile/Wild Honey (2001).
Additional mixes:
  • A stereo mix of “Let The Wind Blow” appears on Hawthorne, CA (2001).

Friends
Original mixes:
  • There are no 1968 mono mixes, with the below exceptions.
  • The 1968 mono mix of the single version of “Friends” is available on 20 More Good Vibrations: The Greatest Hits Volume 2 (1999).
  • The 1968 mono mix of the single version of “Little Bird” is unavailable on CD.
  • The 1968 mono mix of the single version of “Wake The World” is unavailable on CD.
  • All other tracks on the 1968 mono release of the album are actually fold-down mixes.
  • The 1968 stereo mixes are available on Friends/20/20 (2001).

Stack-O-Tracks
Background Information: The original LP was released in fake stereo only. There may have been a mono master prepared, and the 'stereo' was created from that, or the fake stereo master may have been created during the transfer from mutli-track to 2-track. For the CD reissues, new stereo mixes were made for some songs. For the others, it's possible either the multi-tracks or the 1968 Stack-O-Tracks master were used.
CD mixes:
  • Mono mixes of “Darlin’,” “In My Room,” “Catch A Wave,” “Wild Honey,” “Little Saint Nick,” “Do It Again,” and “Surfer Girl” are available on Party/Stack-O-Tracks (2001).
  • Stereo mixes of “Salt Lake City," "Sloop John B," "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "God Only Knows,” "Little Honda," "Here Today," "You're So Good To Me," and "Let Him Run Wild” appear on Party/Stack-O-Tracks (2001).

20/20
Original mixes:
  • There are no 1968-1969 mono mixes, with the below exceptions.
  • The 1968 mono mix of the single version of “Do It Again” is available on Sounds of Summer (2003).
  • The 1969 mono mix of the single version of “Bluebirds Over The Mountain” is available on 20 More Good Vibrations: The Greatest Hits Volume 2 (1999).
  • The 1969 mono mix of the single version of “Cotton Fields” is available on the 20 More Good Vibrations: The Greatest Hits Volume 2 (1999).
  • The 1968 mono mix of the single version of “Never Learn Not To Love” is unavailable on CD.
  • The 1968 rechanneled mono mix of the album version of “Do It Again” is available on Friends/20/20 (2001).
  • All other tracks on the 1969 mono release of the album are actually fold-down mixes.
  • The 1968-1969 stereo mixes are available on Friends/20/20 (1990, 2000).
Additional mixes:
  • A stereo mix of the single version of "Cotton Fields” appears on Hawthorne, CA (2001).

Additional mono mixes unavailable on CD:
  • Susie Cincinnati (promo 45)
  • Add Some Music (promo 45)

General notes
Chuck Britz performed the original stereo mixes for all 1963-1964 albums.
Duophonic versions are not accounted for (‘cause nobody cares) in the information above.
All albums from Sunflower on are in stereo only and are widely available on CD.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:08:32 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 06:21:08 PM »

She Knows Me Too Well is the same stereo mix as on U.S. Singles Box.
Why Do Fools Fall In Love sounds the same as the Summer Love Songs stereo mix, less the intro.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:24:30 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
blank
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »

Cool, I haven't seen AGD's list before (kind of a newcomer) [Edit: actually I have spent a lot of time on that page, haha. Didn't know that was his work].  Very helpful, especially with the 2012 update!

The 1965 mono mix of the single version of “Barbara Ann” is available on the U.S. Singles Collection (2008).
This is false, did you mean that it's on the GV box set?

The 2012 stereo version of “I Get Aorund” is a new mix using the multi-tracks, plus some digital extraction to capture overdubs made directly to the original mono mix.
Minor typo on "I Get Around", if that means anything to you.

thanks
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:53:12 PM by DiamondHead » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 03:18:32 AM »

"Do It Again" is mono on the album, is it not?

Also, I'd really like to have us compile a list of all the different officially released mixes (not in the sense of stereo and mono, but alternate mixes), different edits, etc. and their sources.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:32:35 AM »

"Do It Again" is mono on the album, is it not?

Also, I'd really like to have us compile a list of all the different officially released mixes (not in the sense of stereo and mono, but alternate mixes), different edits, etc. and their sources.

Rechanneled.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 05:42:24 AM »

Aren't the 45 releases of other Friends and 20/20 tunes (Little Bird, Wake the World, etc) true mono mixes?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 05:48:05 AM »

Aren't the 45 releases of other Friends and 20/20 tunes (Little Bird, Wake the World, etc) true mono mixes?

This lists only CD sources, I believe.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 10:12:20 AM »

Thanks everyone, I've made all the updates you pointed out. Yes, I do care about typos, so thanks DiamondHead!

A few other comments:

Yes, my list is intended to show where each track is available on CD. That said, I do care about true mono versions of songs like "Little Bird" etc. that appeared on 45s. Thanks for bringing that up. So, if there any other non-LP vintage mono (or stereo!) mixes out there, ideally I'd like to figure out if they're available on CD today.

As for an unabridged list of all alternate versions, believe me, I'm with you on that. It would be great if this list could grow into that. But to start, I wanted to document a) all the vintage mono and stereo mixes, plus b) any subsequent stereo mixes for tracks that were never mixed in stereo originally.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:15:31 AM by Catbirdman » Logged

SloopJohnB52
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 11:08:49 AM »

"Barbara Ann" (2:35 album version) is in true (wide) Stereo on the 2007 Ace (UK) Various Artists compilation "Girls Girls Girls: A Recollection of Dream Dates 1955-1965" CDCHD 1141.  Great sound, probably better than the new 2012 Party! remaster.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 11:22:58 PM »

Yes, my list is intended to show where each track is available on CD. That said, I do care about true mono versions of songs like "Little Bird" etc. that appeared on 45s. Thanks for bringing that up. So, if there any other non-LP vintage mono (or stereo!) mixes out there, ideally I'd like to figure out if they're available on CD today.

mono mixes:

1 - Friends (45 + GH 2)
2 - Little Bird (45)
3 - Wake the World (45)
4 - Do it Again (45 + GH 2)
5 - Bluebirds Over the Mountain (45 + GH 2)
6 - Never Learn Not to Love (45)
7 - Cottonfields (45 + GH 2, etc.)
8 - Susie Cincinnati (promo 45)
9 - Add Some Music (promo 45)

... there may be more.

a couple errors on your dates ...

the twofer reissues of the '60s records came out in 2001, not 2000.  Greatest Hits 2 came out in 1999 (GH1 came out in 1995).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:27:38 PM by DonnyL » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 04:56:01 AM »

mono mixes:

1 - Friends (45 + GH 2)
2 - Little Bird (45)
3 - Wake the World (45)
4 - Do it Again (45 + GH 2)
5 - Bluebirds Over the Mountain (45 + GH 2)
6 - Never Learn Not to Love (45)
7 - Cottonfields (45 + GH 2, etc.)
8 - Susie Cincinnati (promo 45)
9 - Add Some Music (promo 45)

... there may be more.

a couple errors on your dates ...

the twofer reissues of the '60s records came out in 2001, not 2000.  Greatest Hits 2 came out in 1999 (GH1 came out in 1995).
GH1 using the mono singles format is also 1999. The original issue from 1995 is mono/stereo.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 11:06:08 AM »

Re: 'Stack-O-Tracks' ...

I'm not sure there was a 1968 mono 'mix'. Seems to me that for the original LP, they just took the basic track from the mulits (in some cases missing elements, and in some cases this wasn't really a 'mix' per se, just a transfer of the track itself, locked in mono on 1 track of the multi). Since this was released in fake stereo only, there may have been a mono master prepared, and the 'stereo' was created from that, or they may have just done the fake stereo during the transfer from mutli-track to 2-track.

for the CD reissues, they clearly went back to the actual session tapes and created new stereo mixes for some songs. for others, they may have gone to the multis and either transferred the back track, or they may have used the 'Stack-O-Tracks' master (some songs had kind of unique versions, like 'Do It Again', which sound like the same mix on the CD as the vinyl).

Anyway, just pointing out this title doesn't fit neatly into the mono/stereo category ... anyone know the full story? I've always wondered about it.

Also, do we know if the source for the 2001 CD reissue is the same as the 1990 CD?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:08:17 AM by DonnyL » Logged

mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 03:17:08 PM »

I've asked this in a couple threads but haven't gotten a reply, sorry for repeating myself.

Does anyone know where I can find a HQ (preferably stereo) version of 'The Little Girl I Once Knew'? 

It's one of my favorite BB songs and I would love to hear it in better quality than the original single version.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Grin
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 06:00:47 PM »

I've asked this in a couple threads but haven't gotten a reply, sorry for repeating myself.

Does anyone know where I can find a HQ (preferably stereo) version of 'The Little Girl I Once Knew'? 

It's one of my favorite BB songs and I would love to hear it in better quality than the original single version.

Grin
That is all their is to listen to, enjoy it as it is. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
blank
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »

I think it's worthy to bring up the "alternate version" of Little Girl from the Hawthorne, CA compilation.  Sure, it's not the original version, and it's not REALLY in stereo, but Mr. O'Leary, it's pretty close to what it sounds like you're looking for.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 12:57:50 AM »

Grin

I made this stereo mix a few years ago combining the vocals from the single and alternate version with the backing track from SOT.

http://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends/the-little-girl-i-once-knew
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 03:26:06 AM »

Below is an update to the mono/stereo information on Andrew G. Doe’s site, as found here:
http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/monostereo.html

I put it together for my amusement. I’m inviting everyone to check it for accuracy.

Surfin’ Safari
Original mixes:
  • The 1962 mono mixes are available on Surfin’ Safari/Surfin’ U.S.A. (1990, 2000).
  • There are no stereo mixes available, original or otherwise.

Surfin’ U.S.A.
Original mixes:
Additional mixes:
  • A new stereo remix of "Shut Down" appears on Sounds of Summer (2003).

Surfer Girl
Original mixes:
Additional mixes:
  • A “binaural” stereo mix of “Surfer Girl” appears on the Endless Harmony Soundtrack (1998).

Little Deuce Coupe
Original mixes:
  • There are no 1963 stereo mixes of “409” and “A Young Man Is Gone.”
  • The 1963 mono mix of the single version of “Be True To Your School” is available on the U.S. Singles Collection (2008).
Additional mixes:
  • The 2012 versions of “409” and “A Young Man Is Gone” are approximations created through digital extraction, as the multi-tracks are not available to make true stereo mixes.

Shut Down, Volume 2
Original mixes:
  • There are no 1964 stereo mixes of “Why Do Fools Fall In Love” and “Denny’s Drums.”
Additional mixes:
  • Different stereo mixes of “Why Do Fools Fall In Love” and “Don’t Worry, Baby” appear on Summer Love Songs (2009).
  • The 2012 stereo version of “Why Do Fools Fall In Love” is identical to the 2009 mix, minus the introduction.
  • “Denny’s Drums” was originally recorded in mono, and both versions appear in mono on the 2012 release.

All Summer Long
Original mixes:
  • There are no 1964 stereo mixes of “I Get Around,” “All Summer Long,” or “Our Favorite Recording Sessions.”
Additional mixes:
  • A different stereo mix of "All Summer Long" appears on The Warmth Of The Sun (2007).
  • A different stereo mix of "Hushabye" appears on Summer Love Songs (2009).
  • The 2012 stereo version of “I Get Around” is a new mix using the multi-tracks, plus some digital extraction to capture overdubs made directly to the original mono mix.
  • The 2012 stereo version of “All Summer Long” is a new mix using the multi-tracks.
  • “Our Favorite Recording Sessions” was originally recorded in mono, and both versions appear in mono on the 2012 release.

The Beach Boys’ Christmas Album
Original mixes:
  • The 1963 mono mixes of the single version of “Little Saint Nick” and its B-side “The Lord’s Prayer” are available on the U.S. Singles Collection (2008).
  • The 1964 mono mixes of “Santa’s Beard,” “Merry Christmas, Baby,” and “Christmas Day” are available only on the 1991 CD reissue.
  • The 1964 mono mixes of “The Man With All The Toys” and “Blue Christmas” are available on the U.S. Singles Collection (2008).
  • The remaining 1964 mono mixes are unavailable on CD.
  • The 1964 stereo mixes are available on Ultimate Christmas (1998), with the exceptions below.
  • The 1964 stereo mix of the album version of “Little Saint Nick” is available only on the 1991 CD reissue.
  • The 1964 stereo mix of “Merry Christmas, Baby” is unavailable on CD.
Additional mixes:
  • A different stereo mix of “The Lord’s Prayer” is available on the 1991 CD reissue.
  • A different stereo mix of the single version of “Little Saint Nick” appears on Legends of Christmas Past (1992).
  • Different stereo mixes of “Merry Christmas, Baby” (which is also longer) and the single version of “Little Saint Nick” appear on Ultimate Christmas (1998).
  • A different stereo mix of “The Lord’s Prayer” is available on Hawthorne, CA (2001).

Beach Boys Concert
Original mixes:
  • The 1964 mono mix is unavailable on CD.
  • The 1964 stereo mix is available on Concert/Live In London (1990, 2000).

The Beach Boys Today!
Original mixes:
  • The 1964-1965 mono mixes are available on the 2012 remastered version of the album.
Additional mixes:
  • A stereo mix of “Kiss Me, Baby” appears on the Endless Harmony Soundtrack (1998).
  • A stereo mix of “Dance, Dance, Dance” appears on Hawthorne, CA (2001).
  • A stereo mix of “Please Let Me Wonder” appears on The Warmth Of The Sun (2007).
  • Stereo mixes of “When I Grow Up (To Be A Man),” “She Knows Me Too Well,” and the instrumental track for “Do You Wanna Dance” appear on the U.S. Singles Collection (2008).
  • Stereo mixes of “Good To My Baby” and “I’m So Young” appear on Summer Love Songs (2009).
  • New stereo mixes of all tracks appear on the 2012 remastered version of the album, with the below notes.
  • “She Knows Me Too Well” is the 2008 mix.
  • The stereo mixes of “Do You Wanna Dance” and “She Knows Me Too Well” utilize the multi-tracks, but also required some digital extraction to capture overdubs made directly to the original mono mixes.
  • “Bull Session With The Big Daddy” was originally recorded in mono, and both versions appear in mono on the 2012 release.

Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
Original mixes:
Additional mixes:
  • A stereo mix of “California Girls” appears on the Endless Harmony Soundtrack (1998).
  • Stereo mixes of “Salt Lake City” and “And Your Dream Comes True” (partial) appear on Hawthorne, CA (2001).
  • A stereo mix of “Summer Means New Love” appears as a bonus track on the DVD-A release of Pet Sounds (2003).
  • Stereo mixes of “Then I Kissed Her,“ “You’re So Good To Me,” and “Let Him Run Wild” appear on The Warmth Of The Sun (2007).
  • A mono mix of the instrumental track for “Help Me, Rhonda” appears on the U.S. Singles Collection (2008).
  • New stereo mixes of all tracks appear on the 2012 remastered version of the album, with the below exceptions.
  • The stereo mixes of “Help Me, Rhonda” and “Girl Don’t Tell Me” utilize the multi-tracks, but also required some digital extraction to capture overdubs made directly to the original mono mixes.

Beach Boys Party
Original mixes:
  • The 1965 mono mix of the single version of “Barbara Ann” is available on the Good Vibrations box set (1993).
Additional mixes:
  • Stereo mix of “Barbara Ann” and “Devoted To You,” both without party noises, appear on Hawthorne, CA (2001).

Pet Sounds
Original mixes:
  • The 1966 mono mixes are available on the 2012 remastered version of the album.
  • The 1966 mono mix of the single version of “Caroline, No” is available on 20 More Good Vibrations: The Greatest Hits Volume 2 (1990).
  • There are no 1966 stereo mixes.
Additional mixes:
  • Stereo mixes of all tracks appear on the Pet Sounds Sessions box set (1997), as well as subsequent releases of the album.
  • A new stereo mix of “Wouldn’t It Be Nice,” with Mike’s vocal on the bridge reinstated, appears on the 2001 reissue of the album.
  • A new stereo mix of “You Still Believe In Me,” with Brian’s double-tracked vocal simulated, appears on the “Mobile Fidelity” SACD release of the album.
  • 5.1 surround sound mixes of all tracks appear on the 2003 DVD-A release of the album.

Smiley Smile
Original mixes:
  • The 1967 mono mixes are available on the 2012 remastered version of the album.
Additional mixes:
  • Stereo mixes of “Heroes and Villains” and “Vegetables” (extended) appear on Hawthorne, CA (2001).
  • New stereo mixes of all tracks appear on the 2012 remastered version of the album, with the below exception.
  • The stereo mix of “Good Vibrations” utilizes the multi-tracks of the instrumental tracking session, but the multi-tracks are missing for the vocal overdubs. Therefore, some digital extraction was required.

Wild Honey
Original mixes:
  • The 1967 mono mixes are available on Smiley Smile/Wild Honey (1990, 2000).
Additional mixes:
  • A stereo mix of “Let The Wind Blow” appears on Hawthorne, CA (2001).

Friends
Original mixes:
  • There are no 1968 mono mixes, with the below exception.
  • The 1968 mono mix of the single version of “Friends” is available on 20 More Good Vibrations: The Greatest Hits Volume 2 (1990).
  • All other tracks on the 1968 mono release of the album are actually fold-down mixes.
  • The 1968 stereo mixes are available on Friends/20/20 (1990, 2000).

Stack-O-Tracks
Original mixes:
  • The 1968 mono mixes of “Darlin’,” “In My Room,” “Catch A Wave,” “Wild Honey,” “Little Saint Nick,” “Do It Again,” and “Surfer Girl” are available on Party/Stack-O-Tracks (1990, 2000).
  • The remainder of the 1968 mono mixes are unavailable on CD.
  • There are no 1968 stereo mixes.
Additional mixes:
  • Stereo mixes of “Salt Lake City," "Sloop John B," "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "God Only Knows,” "Little Honda," "Here Today," "You're So Good To Me," and "Let Him Run Wild” appear on Party/Stack-O-Tracks (1990, 2000).

20/20
Original mixes:
  • There are no 1968-1969 mono mixes, with the below exceptions.
  • The 1968 mono mix of the single version of “Do It Again” is available on Sounds of Summer (2003).
  • The 1969 mono mix of the single version of “Bluebirds Over The Mountain” is available on 20 More Good Vibrations: The Greatest Hits Volume 2 (1990).
  • The 1969 mono mix of the single version of “Cotton Fields” is available on the Good Vibrations box set (1993).
  • The 1968 rechanneled mono mix of the album version of “Do It Again” is available on Friends/20/20 (1990, 2000).
  • All other tracks on the 1969 mono release of the album are actually fold-down mixes.
  • The 1968-1969 stereo mixes are available on Friends/20/20 (1990, 2000).
Additional mixes:
  • A stereo mix of the single version of "Cotton Fields” appears on Hawthorne, CA (2001).

General notes
Chuck Britz performed the original stereo mixes for all 1963-1964 albums.
Duophonic versions are not accounted for (‘cause nobody cares) in the information above.
All albums from Sunflower on are in stereo only and are widely available on CD.

Many thanks - I'll be updating that section of 10452 very soon, and this list makes it much easier. You'll be credited, natch.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »

Grin

I made this stereo mix a few years ago combining the vocals from the single and alternate version with the backing track from SOT.

http://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends/the-little-girl-i-once-knew
The track doesn't exist.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »

OK, I think I've incorporated all the fixes noted. Very likely I missed one or two or made a typo/formatting error here or there. I'm a bit rushed 'cause a friend is in town and don't haver time to spend on the board. Feedback welcome.

Andrew, glad this will help you - no need to give me a credit. I've just listed out what you and others have already written.

cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 04:13:04 PM »

OK, I think I've incorporated all the fixes noted. Very likely I missed one or two or made a typo/formatting error here or there. I'm a bit rushed 'cause a friend is in town and don't haver time to spend on the board. Feedback welcome.

Andrew, glad this will help you - no need to give me a credit. I've just listed out what you and others have already written.

Blasphemy. Unless Mark Linett is behind a stereo mix it doesn't exist. You already know this.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Beagle Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »

This is a fantastic list, thanks so much! Several of the stereo remixes have been done more than once. In those cases, I've tried to figure out when each remix was done and where they can be found. Not counting the upcoming 2012 reissues, this is what I came up with:

Little Saint Nick (single version)
  • 1992 remix on Legends of Christmas Past
  • 1998 remix on Ultimate Christmas
  • 2008 remix on US Singles Collection

The Lord's Prayer
  • 1991 remix on Beach Boys' Christmas Album (1991 CD)
  • 2001 remix on Hawthorne, CA and US Singles Collection
(I can't hear any differences between these two. Is it possible they're both the same 1991 mix?)

Dance, Dance, Dance
  • 2001 remix on Hawthorne, CA
  • 2003 remix on Sounds of Summer
  • 2008 remix on US Singles Collection

Kiss Me, Baby
  • 1998 remix by Andrew Sandoval on Endless Harmony (1998 CD)
  • 2000 remix by Mark Linett on Endless Harmony (2000 CD) and all releases since

California Girls
  • 1998 remix by Andrew Sandoval on Endless Harmony (1998 CD)
  • 2000 remix by Mark Linett on Endless Harmony (2000 CD)
  • 2002 remix (correcting out-of-sync vocals) on Sounds of Summer and all releases since

Wouldn't It Be Nice
  • 1996 remix on Pet Sounds Sessions and the 1999 mono/stereo Pet Sounds reissue
  • 2001 remix (with Mike Love's vocal restored) on the 2001 mono/stereo Pet Sounds and all releases since

You Still Believe in Me
  • 1996 remix on Pet Sounds Sessions, and the 1999, 2001 and 2006 Pet Sounds mono/stereo reissues
  • 2012 remix (with double-tracked lead vocal) on 2012 Pet Sounds MFSL SACD

Caroline, No
  • 1996 album version remix on Pet Sounds Sessions and all releases since
  • Single edit remix (likely edited from the 1996 mix) on Classics Selected by Brian Wilson

Heroes and Villains
  • 2001 remix on Hawthorne, CA
  • Note: The Sounds of Summer booklet claims to use a 2002 remix, but it sounds the same as the Hawthorne, CA remix to my ears

Also, you should add to your list the new remixes of "Wendy" on The Warmth of the Sun and "Time to Get Alone" on Summer Love Songs.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 01:43:20 PM by Beagle Boy » Logged
Jason
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »

There's also an unreleased stereo remix of Country Air - it was played at a convention years ago.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »

SOT UM v.6 has stereo "I Get Around" and "All Summer Long" not sure if they are from the original sessions or not but
sounds like true stereo not duophonic mush.

I also have a stereo "Little Girl" instrumental track, no vocals -- if you like the organ, drums and horns
way up in the mix it is interesting.

I have been immersed in these SOT tracks since I found them. Amazing stuff especially if you love studio chatter
and the BB are #1 at clowning around with the tape rolling!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Paulos
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 02:34:30 PM »

Need to add the stereo remixes of Wild Honey and Darlin' from 50 Big Ones to the list.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 02:42:14 PM »

I have a UK MFP CD of the Christmas album completely in 1964 Stereo.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx