gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:44:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forum Re-Design and Moderation  (Read 44861 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 01:51:09 PM »

also, whenever I click on the "new post" button for a thread in the sandbox, it takes me to the first post! this is really annoying because some of the sandbox threads are like 10 pages long and I have to look through every single post to see which ones I haven't read yet. every single post, every single time.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »

If it ain't fix, don't broke it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 08:45:51 PM »

Wait, really?

Edit: I'll be damned, so it is. I prefer it this way, but can see why folks would want it the other way around. An option would be nice.

Also, am I the only one who, when trying to log in, gets the password recovery thing when clicking the "Log In" or "Submit" button (I forget what it says) after typing their username and password? I have to hit enter for it to actually work and not take me to the password recovery form. There was a while a few years back where I thought I couldn't log in at all, and after about three attempts was barred from logging in when I figured it out because it registered them as login attempts. I am usually logged in all the time now, but sometimes I'm seemingly logged out at random and occasionally still make the mistake.

Yeah, an option for it would be great.

Nope, you're not alone, that has happened to me too!

I think there is an option for this under look and layout preferences "return to topics after posting by default"

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 01:47:54 AM »

Wait, really?

Edit: I'll be damned, so it is. I prefer it this way, but can see why folks would want it the other way around. An option would be nice.

Also, am I the only one who, when trying to log in, gets the password recovery thing when clicking the "Log In" or "Submit" button (I forget what it says) after typing their username and password? I have to hit enter for it to actually work and not take me to the password recovery form. There was a while a few years back where I thought I couldn't log in at all, and after about three attempts was barred from logging in when I figured it out because it registered them as login attempts. I am usually logged in all the time now, but sometimes I'm seemingly logged out at random and occasionally still make the mistake.

Yeah, an option for it would be great.

Nope, you're not alone, that has happened to me too!

I think there is an option for this under look and layout preferences "return to topics after posting by default"

Ai! Thank you Fishmonk, very nice!

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
bluesno1fann
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 04:37:12 AM »

One thing I like about the All Pink Floyd Fan Network is that on the side there's a list of top 5 posters in the last 30 days, that feature should totally be included here!

Also, I would like the option to permanently delete threads you've made instead of locking them, and to permanently delete old comments you've made.
Sometimes, you can make the mistake of making a duplicate thread or writing a comment which you end up regretting for any reason.

Would that be possible?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 08:22:52 AM »

I don't like the idea of being able to white-wash ones posting history.

Posters should think before posting. Not being able to delete a post sort of provides a deterrent to acting like an anonymous idiot and if you one does on occasion act like an anonymous idiot it's good for the reminder to stick around.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:58:42 AM by pixletwin » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 07:56:55 AM »

Just enable an "ignore this poster" and I'll be as happy as a porker hock deep in poop.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 08:13:14 AM »

Just enable an "ignore this poster" and I'll be as happy as a porker hock deep in poop.

+1. Something like this would be great.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 12:02:53 AM »

I'm not so sure about an Ignore the Poster idea. Say if you clicked that on someone who's usually a troll, but one day goes on to writing one of the best comments on this forum, you'd miss out.
I'd rather just have the option to delete comments or threads you made if you wanted to. Then I'll be happy as a "porker hock deep in poop"   Cheesy
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 04:56:21 AM »

Pretty sure everyone would let you know you'd missed out on the secret of Life, The Universe & Everything, but given that trolls rarely if ever arrive at such insights, I'd roll them bones.

Plus, an "ignore" option gives you control: granted it might result in some fractured threads but, to cite recent examples, if it gave me respite from OSD going "Myke Lhuv sukkz" every third post, or The Cohen Of Silence in full-on Eeyore mode then that's just dandy by me. More dandy than a dandy thing in the World Dandy Championship finals, actually.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 07:04:53 AM »

I volunteer my time and my Beach Boys drawings for a new banner!  Yeah that South Park thing is just weird and what the heck does South Park have to do with the Beach Boys anyways.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 03:27:35 PM »

I volunteer my time and my Beach Boys drawings for a new banner!  Yeah that South Park thing is just weird and what the heck does South Park have to do with the Beach Boys anyways.

Good idea, but be sure to include all the members of the BB's, past and present. Not just the line-up from late-1963 to early 1965 and late 1974 to early 1979!

I say don't bring back the ignore feature, it's an amazingly poor idea. Hope the mods will listen to us, readers-of-every-post.

Agreed. And to those who are trolls such as Surfer, they should just be banned
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 03:49:18 PM »

I say don't bring back the ignore feature, it's an amazingly poor idea. Hope the mods will listen to us, readers-of-every-post.

Just because an ignore function is implemented doesn't mean you have to use it. You can still continue to read posts as much as you want.

I'm not so sure about an Ignore the Poster idea. Say if you clicked that on someone who's usually a troll, but one day goes on to writing one of the best comments on this forum, you'd miss out.

If you're that worried, just don't use the function. People who use it will have to come to terms that they may miss out on something, and that's their decision whether to use it or not.

I'd rather just have the option to delete comments or threads you made if you wanted to. Then I'll be happy as a "porker hock deep in poop"   Cheesy

I agree with the others that we shouldn't be allowed to do this. It allows people an easy way out instead of actually requiring them to think about what they post.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:51:03 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 05:19:50 PM »

Just because an ignore function is implemented doesn't mean you have to use it. You can still continue to read posts as much as you want.

If you're that worried, just don't use the function. People who use it will have to come to terms that they may miss out on something, and that's their decision whether to use it or not.

I agree with the others that we shouldn't be allowed to do this. It allows people an easy way out instead of actually requiring them to think about what they post.

Or maybe we can make it like we can actually have the option to delete your own posts, but it will never be permanently deleted, and the mods can still see it anytime like it wasn't deleted.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 06:26:05 PM »

A lack of the option to delete posts just means you have to think before posting, which is something I support.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 02:25:21 AM »

I just thought of an excellent idea which the forum lacks.

An entire section dedicated to tabs and instruction on how to play BB's songs. And not just official BB's songs, it can also be for unreleased BB's songs, and solo songs by all the members.  People can upload a tab in that section if they'd like and all that can really help teach people how to play different BB's songs, be it the big hits or the underrated album cuts.

I think it'll be a good idea. And we don't just have to do Guitar tabs, we could also do Bass tabs, as well as for Piano, Drums, etc.
It'll be perfect for this forum, and I've seen a lot of other music forums with something like this. And it'll be great to go to and use, instead of frustrating sites like Ultimate Guitar which doesn't have many BB's tabs and a lot that's there is wrong.

I hope this becomes a part of this forum. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:24:02 AM by Mr. Jarhead » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 10:33:26 AM »

Well, there's this: http://www.surfermoon.com/tabs.shtml

While it's not necessarily tabs that you were hoping for, I assume (transcribed riffs, leads), there are chords for a great deal of songs - some unreleased.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 04:00:23 PM »

While it's not necessarily tabs that you were hoping for, I assume (transcribed riffs, leads), there are chords for a great deal of songs - some unreleased.

Thanks for that! Something like this would be excellent for this forum, though I'd love to see more Bass and Piano tabs
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 04:33:12 PM »

Thanks for that! Something like this would be excellent for this forum, though I'd love to see more Bass and Piano tabs

When written out, guitar and piano are practically interchangeable.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2014, 12:03:35 PM »

Fair enough but then again, wouldn't it be also easy to just skim through the needless (in your opinion) posts & read the stuff you sure would enjoy? Isn't it actually the same as an ignore feature, only done manually?

I have no real stance on this, but I can see where people are coming from.
If someone wants the ability to ignore someone else, why not give them that feature?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2014, 07:40:28 PM »

The Polls should have their own section in the forum. It seems like a general agreement at this point.

There's already a thread dedicated to this, but I hope there's a hopefully better chance for the Mods to see this here.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2014, 08:10:16 PM »

I agree, as long as the Survivor games count (one would see distinction between these & 2fer polls as they have different structure & different rules, goal etc.). Billy did good job on moving "Rank the Tracks" onto the "Album, Book & Video Review Discussions" subforum.

Do you think Survivor counts just as much as the others? Because it seems to be a different format
bluesno1fann
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2014, 08:51:58 AM »

I tell you what, a block feature is starting to look increasingly appealing to me...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2014, 09:03:56 AM »

Hal is right! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2014, 11:16:10 AM »

Could you please implement a feature where you can follow a topic without receiving email notifications? Something in the effect of 'Watch Thread' at Hoffman.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx